PDA

View Full Version : 1st protein treatment and... breaking/shedding stops?!

YepLilly
August 17th, 2011, 11:08 AM
I'm still new to the hair world, but after doing some research I decided that my hair was in need of protein. I didn't get to do the strand test recommended here, but my hair fits the pattern. It's weak, fine, fluffy, soft, frizzy, limp. Ends are very fine and soft (not velcro-like, as when it has excess protein). Also, for a very long time my hair has been thinning out and breaking/shedding. It's nothing excessive, and blood tests came back ok, but definitely something I wanted to stop. I didn't know why that was happening, I don't dye or perm my hair, and don't abuse heat-styling techniques.

So I decided to do a protein treatment (my first one ever). I saw that the Nexxus Emergencee has very good reviews so I bought it. I applied it two days ago. They said it's expected to make your hair straw-like after applying, but to not worry as that will change once you shampoo/condition. Well, mine didn't feel straw-like at all, I thought it wasn't working (later I found out it was indeed working, my hair just needs tons of protein right now). So I shampooed and applied a good deep conditioner as suggested (Aussie 3MM). I let it air-dry.

Once dried, I ran my fingers through it several times. I couldn't believe there were almost no hairs falling off. When I do this, I always end with a few hairs in my hands. After waking up, almost zero hairs on the pillow. Impressive!

:cheese::cheese::cheese:

The instructions say to do this every 2 weeks, but given the condition of my hair, I think I'll do it every week. I really hope this keeps working! What do you think? Do I make sense with my protein analysis? :p I also plan to add other changes to my routine: CWC, pre-wash with cononut oil (lenght) and castor oil / grapeseed oil (scalp), try no sulfates, etc. Baby steps!

swearnsue
August 17th, 2011, 11:22 AM
You can't argue with sucess! Sounds like you found just the right thing for your hair. I have a question for you, do you eat a lot of protein like eggs? I'm curious about why some need more protein on their hair than others. I'm glad your hair is doing so well.

kyandii
August 17th, 2011, 11:30 AM
I find protein treatments stop my hair breaking as well! :)

YepLilly
August 17th, 2011, 11:40 AM
I have a question for you, do you eat a lot of protein like eggs?

I do, I eat a lot of eggs, cheese, yogurt, milk, chicken, etc. On blood tests my protein is always at a very good level. So who knows :cool:

swearnsue
August 18th, 2011, 05:23 PM
I do, I eat a lot of eggs, cheese, yogurt, milk, chicken, etc. On blood tests my protein is always at a very good level. So who knows :cool:

Oh, another theory busted!!! Thanks for the info tho:(:D

spidermom
August 18th, 2011, 06:59 PM
No; really - follow the directions. More is not always better.

Delila
August 18th, 2011, 08:12 PM

Agreed.

Too much protein is not a good thing.

BeckyAH
August 18th, 2011, 08:14 PM
Agreed.

Adding my voice to the list of agrees.

gabee
August 18th, 2011, 10:17 PM
You can't argue with sucess! Sounds like you found just the right thing for your hair. I have a question for you, do you eat a lot of protein like eggs? I'm curious about why some need more protein on their hair than others. I'm glad your hair is doing so well.

I think some hair types are more prone to be protein deficient, such as fine hair. Also, chemically damaged hair tends to need a lot of protein.

CurlyMopTop
August 19th, 2011, 05:43 AM
I recently had the same revalation. I did a heavy duty ion reconstrution treatment about a week ago on my fine virgin hair, then followed with a deep conditioning treatment. To be honest, I don't think that I even needed the deep conditioning treatment. I think that for the next treatment I'm going to switch to ion's effective hair care treatment. They're not as heavy in protein, which I shouldn't need as much next time now that my hair is not over conditioned anymore. I never thought that it was possible for me to overcondition my hair, but I guess I was wrong!! Must just be my hair type.

I too take a multivitiman and biotin daily as well as eating a healthy diet with lots of protein. :)

Theobroma
August 19th, 2011, 06:07 AM
I'm having a hard time understanding why a protein treatment would cause a reduction in true shedding (i.e. hair falling out of the follicle with the little root bulb attached) as opposed to a reduction in breakage at whatever length down the hair shaft. Are you sure this is what's actually happening?

Either way, good for you! Losing less hair is always a good thing! :)

YepLilly
August 19th, 2011, 09:40 AM

Adding my voice to the list of agrees.

You are all right! I think I got carried away by the excitement :p. Nothing had stopped the breakage/shedding before.

I'm having a hard time understanding why a protein treatment would cause a reduction in true shedding (i.e. hair falling out of the follicle with the little root bulb attached) as opposed to a reduction in breakage at whatever length down the hair shaft. Are you sure this is what's actually happening?

To be honest, I'm not sure, that's why I write breakage/shedding. I think it's mostly stopping the breakage though.

Most of the hairs that usually fall are short ones. However, and this is the confusing part, many of those short hairs have the bulb attached. So maybe besides having breakage, I'm also shedding hairs that were previously broken? :confused:

I think some hair types are more prone to be protein deficient, such as fine hair.

I think I may have one of those types! :o