PDA

View Full Version : Two years of growing

tomm
June 27th, 2008, 09:06 PM
It has been two years since my last real hair cut - I can't believe how quickly the time has gone. In June, 2006, my hair was standard-men's-business-hair cut short, and there was not a hint of curl to be seen (sorry, no picture; you'll just have to use your imagination).

It's taken two years, but this is what my hair looks like today:
http://tomandeva.googlepages.com/HPIM2111.JPG
Please forgive the halo, it's about to rain, so it's really HUMID!! The length is beginning to elongate my ringlets a little, but I love the fact that most days they still are very pronounced.

I suppose if I put an elastic every inch or so, I might tame my ponytail, but I prefer it wild:
http://tomandeva.googlepages.com/HPIM2118.JPG
(I love the bunjii, Tresses!)

In the summer in Georgia, I don't dare wear my hair down. I'm so glad that it is long enough for a bun:
http://tomandeva.googlepages.com/HPIM2131.JPG

Sometimes, I can even manage a hairstick knot (although it usually takes me a couple of tries before I get it right):
http://tomandeva.googlepages.com/HPIM2135.JPG

I can't wait to see where I am at this time next year!

Riot Crrl
June 27th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Tomm, it looks great but I cheat and stretch the back :) How long is it if you do that?

goldenwaves
June 27th, 2008, 09:28 PM
Looks fantastic! Keep growing! I LOVE your ringlets

ailin
June 27th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Wow, those are some serious curls! Very nice. Congrats on your growth! :)

SilverLocks
June 27th, 2008, 09:36 PM
tomm, you have the most wonderful curls. :rockerdud
Congrats on breaking free of the standard biz-cut and letting those gorgeous locks express themselves! You certainly wear those buns with aplomb. :thumbsup:

Ndnlady
June 27th, 2008, 10:20 PM
I like your curls! That's pretty good for 2 years of growing! My dh has that short men's military cut so I can imagine what you started out with! Good for you!:D

DecafJane
June 27th, 2008, 10:29 PM
Wow, congratulations on your growth. I would also like to see how long it is with the curls stretched - they are so tight! :)

physicschick
June 27th, 2008, 10:41 PM
Wow, look at those curls! I know they eat up the length a bit, but they look great. :)

redcelticcurls
June 27th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Hello there, my favorite curly guy!

I am loving the new pics!

Don't worry about the halo. We curlies get it in the summer. You look fab, and the updos are great.

jessie58
June 27th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Tomm you hair is wonderful and you have had such wonderful growth (mind you, I can only imagine how long it is when pulled straight)

LadyMoon11
June 27th, 2008, 11:27 PM
Very nice, tomm!
Great growth, and GREAT curls!
Congrats :happydance:

eadwine
June 28th, 2008, 01:12 AM
Just mist for that halo, it helps me tremendously :)

Looking great there Tomm!

Arctic
June 28th, 2008, 02:24 AM
Wonderful curls! And I think you are more than shoulder length even with dry hair!

DavidN
June 28th, 2008, 02:43 AM
Congratulations on such achiening two years of growth, Tomm, and those curls are rockin', so thick and healthy. All of us at the LHC will be looking forawrd to sharing your journey to even longer hair!:cheer:

Sceleste
June 28th, 2008, 02:54 AM
I must say, I also prefer your ponytail loose and wild. Your curls are lovely!

seabear
June 28th, 2008, 04:44 AM
Fab-u-lous! My gosh, you have such glossy ringlets! The wild ponytail is great, but I have to say I just love the bun-with-a-spike on you... rowr.

30isthenewblack
June 28th, 2008, 04:52 AM
Those curls mean business :eyebrows: Great to see a fellow curlie with ringlet curls achieve such great growth.

jojo
June 28th, 2008, 05:12 AM
Hey there curly locks your hairs looks fantastic as usual, you have got so long too.

*sigh..oh to have curls like that..*

jel
June 28th, 2008, 05:28 AM
Great growth, Tomm, and some rocking ringlets you've got there! Congrats on your 2 year hairgrowing anniversary :flowers:

girlcat36
June 28th, 2008, 05:38 AM
Hi, Tomm! I always say this, but I love your boingy curls! Wish I hd boing like that! Looking great!

tomm
June 28th, 2008, 05:50 AM
Thank you so much, Riot Crrl, DecafJane, physicschick, Tessa, and Arctic. Based on how it feels on my back in the shower, I would estimate that I am nearing APL. I have been meaning to ask my wife to take a picture when it is soaking wet.

(edited to add omitted name)

tomm
June 28th, 2008, 05:56 AM
Thank you so much for your kind comments, goldenwaves and ailin. I am so happy I decided to let the curls come out.

tomm
June 28th, 2008, 06:14 AM
Thank you very much, SilverLocks - I am so glad that I gave bunning a chance. Hair on my neck during the 90 degree, 90 per cent humidity summers here is just NOT an option.

tomm
June 28th, 2008, 06:16 AM
Ndnlady, my hair wasn't guite military-short two years ago, but it was close. Thank you for your very kind comments.

tomm
June 28th, 2008, 06:28 AM
Thank you, LadyMoon11, David, 30isthenewblack, and jel. I am so pleased that I my hair is doing so well and that it shows.

tomm
June 28th, 2008, 06:36 AM
Thank you for the suggestion about misting, eadwine. I do mist frequently, but when the humidty gets over 90%, frizz seems to be the price of even nearly dry hair - unless I really weigh the hair down, and I am not willing to do that.

Speedbump
June 28th, 2008, 06:44 AM
Great curls, Tomm! You've gotten over the worst part of things now. From here on out it gets easier. Seriously! In two years you will probably be right around what's BSL on girls, and I suppose MBL (mid back length) on guys. :cheese:

tomm
June 28th, 2008, 06:46 AM
Thank you so much, Sceleste, seabear, jojo, and girlcat - I do love the ringlets. But I also enjoy (and occasionally am envious of) the beautiful straight hair and wavy hair I see on others.

My daughter is coming for a visit next month and she hasn't seen my hair in a bun. Part of me is anticipating still being able to shock her. Part is hoping she will approve and be supportive.

tomm
June 28th, 2008, 06:55 AM
Thank you for the wonderful encouragement, speedbump. I plan to enjoy each step on the way to MBL. My personal equivalent to BSL, based on seeing so many men at the gym wearing them, is (exercise) heart-rate monitor length. :)

(off-topic: what is it about brown tabbies and psychosis? Of all of our cats, the brown tabbies always have been the most psychotic)

cindy58
June 28th, 2008, 07:13 AM
Great hair! You're doing a masterful job with your updos too!

paper
June 28th, 2008, 07:35 AM
Congrats on the growth :applause I love your curls, and your updos look great!

bte
June 28th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Great progress - the wild look suits you!

coppercurls
June 28th, 2008, 03:15 PM
What great progress! :cheese:
Halos are just part of being a curly I guess. My halo is really out there today because it is raining.

Speedy is right, you are over the hardest part. It does get easier the longer you grow.

Thanks for sharing your progress with us.:)

GlennaGirl
June 28th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Oh WOW but do I ever want to "sproing" one of those beautiful curls! You'd better hope you're never in front of me in line at the supermarket.

Just gorgeous hair, wonderful color, nice length!

Paniscus
June 28th, 2008, 07:15 PM
I LOVE your hair Tomm, it's stunning. But then again, I'm a sucker for curls, and boy, do you have 'em!!! Also, the bun looks very distinguished on you; I love to see men with buns. Hair buns, I'm currently talking about hair buns! :D

tomm
June 28th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Thank you so much, Cindy, paper, and Paniscus! The thin metal hairsticks I use really make things easy. In another two years I should have enough length to try some alternative materials. I have some Quattro hairsticks made of a very unusual resin-based material (not dymondwood) that I saving for the occasion.

tomm
June 28th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Thank you, bte - while there are times I envy my wife her neat, easy-to-care-for type 1 hair, I would never trade my wild curls for tameness.

tomm
June 28th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Thank you for the encouragement, coopercurls! If my hair looks anything like your signature picture when I reach that length, I will be most pleased.

tomm
June 28th, 2008, 07:42 PM
On the contrary, GlennaGirl, I would look upon having you sproing my curls while waiting in line at the supermarket as a high compliment.

<off-topic: I love your new avatar!>

psvzum
June 28th, 2008, 08:17 PM
That's great growth Tomm!!! I'm envious at your ability to make a bun with one stick that stays put : ) Beautiful hair!

Liluri
June 28th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Congratulations on the great growth! Your hair looks really health and shiny and oh my those curls! :)

Starr
June 29th, 2008, 01:33 AM
Congradulations on two year of growing Tomm! Not only is your hair the picture of health but your ringlets put my curls to shame!

Lamb
June 29th, 2008, 03:53 AM
You know I have always been envious (and admiring) of your curl-definition! Wonderful hair, tomm, keep it growing! :cheer:

FrannyG
June 29th, 2008, 04:14 AM
Wow, Tomm, time certainly has flown! Your hair looks wonderful, long and healthy. Congratulations on two years of excellent growth. :thumbsup: Like you, I'm looking forward to where your hair will be a year from now! :)

AutumnLeaves
June 29th, 2008, 05:36 AM
Tomm, I've missed you on the boards! It appears we haven't been in the same place most of the time! I want to say congratulations on that fabulous two years of growth! Your hair looks awesome and I for one love those long locks! I am amazed at your hair styling skills as well. Please do tell your wife I said hello from a fellow sufferer.

whatevergirl
June 29th, 2008, 06:07 AM
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc263/whatevergirlspix/44c2920979b1cffb95f12a4ba0fafc9a.gif Way to grow those rockin ringlets Tomm, looks great!

brok3nwings
June 29th, 2008, 06:44 AM
You have some beautiful curls. they are large and that is uncommon and beautiful :) congratulations on your growth

tomm
June 29th, 2008, 07:19 AM
Thank you very much, psvzum. I still have days when it takes multiple tries to get a bun that is both comfortable and stable - no, I won't share pictures of those. :lol:

tomm
June 29th, 2008, 07:22 AM
Thank you for your very kind comments, Liluri, whatevergirl, and brok3nwings.

tomm
June 29th, 2008, 07:26 AM
Thank you so much, Starr. But, if I may disagree - your curls are absolutely amazing! I can't imagine anyone's hair putting them to shame.

tomm
June 29th, 2008, 07:32 AM
Thank you, Lamb. I hope that you know that I am a very big fan of your curls as well! I am really looking forward to seeing what your hair is going to look like when you reach mid-back length (dry).

tomm
June 29th, 2008, 07:36 AM
Thank you so much, Fran. I still am looking forward to being able to put my hair in a nice braid, perhaps in another year ...

tomm
June 29th, 2008, 07:39 AM
Thank you, Sherry! I do hope that work pressure will begin to ease, giving me a little more time (and energy) for LHC.

I will pass your greetings on to my wife.

justgreen
June 29th, 2008, 08:21 AM
*boing boing boing*

**justy runs away laffing**

Tell Mrs. Tomm that I'll share some spoons with her today.

Robinlyn
June 29th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Great curls!! You've had great growth! Happy growing.

tomm
June 29th, 2008, 12:06 PM
<enjoys Justy's triple boing!!!>

Mrs Tomm says thank you so much for the shared spoons!

tomm
June 29th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Thank you, Robinlyn. I have been blessed and am very grateful.

birthmarkie
June 29th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Awesome! Congratulations. That is quite an accomplishment and your hair looks great down or up. It looks very healthy and happy :)

suicides_eve
June 29th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Love it!!! you have deffinatly come along way! congratulations!

tomm
June 29th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Thank you so much, birthmarkie and suicides_eve!!

wimsey
June 29th, 2008, 04:16 PM
tomm, that's some incredible growth in two years! So shiny and healthy looking, too. :)

tomm
June 30th, 2008, 09:00 AM
Thank you, wimsey. I have enjoyed the past two years so much - and I am really looking forward to the next steps.

sipnsun
June 30th, 2008, 09:05 AM
Beautiful curls, congrats on the growth! I know about humidity as well, living on the coast in S.C.

tomm
June 30th, 2008, 08:20 PM
Thank you, sipnsun - there is nothing like Southern heat/humidity in the summer, is there?

StillAHulaGirl
June 30th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Beautiful curls! Sometimes I wish that I had some of those! Mine is board straight! Also, a friendly hello from north up I-75! I'm in Chattanooga, TN.

Kiraela
June 30th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Your curls are fantastic, Tomm!

darkwaves
June 30th, 2008, 10:00 PM
Hi tomm! I tried to post the other night to say how amazing your curls are, but my ancient computer crashed.

So, once more: Your curls are amazing! I'm so glad you're growing and sharing with us here!

Angellen
June 30th, 2008, 10:20 PM
What progress! Your curls looks really lovely. I'm also impressed with your hairstick knot. I've never been able to do one, myself. ;)

Gumball
July 1st, 2008, 12:43 AM
Looks great, tomm! You really have some awesome defined curls going on there even in the humidity. Rock on! :rockerdud Congrats on the two years down and best of luck with the growth ahead of you!

tomm
July 1st, 2008, 07:47 AM
Thank you so much, StillAHulaGirl. We drive past Chattanooga when we go to visit my son and his family in Chicago - it seems like a wonderful city. I hope you are enjoying it there.

tomm
July 1st, 2008, 07:49 AM
Thank you, thank you, thank you, Kiraela and Gumball.

tomm
July 1st, 2008, 07:50 AM
Thank you, darkwaves - I can only hope that my hair, when I reach midback, looks as lovely as yours does.

tomm
July 1st, 2008, 07:54 AM
Thank you, Angellen. I only wish I knew how I get the hair-stick bun to work on those attempts when it does. I will really be happy when I finally get to the point where it works consistently.

StillAHulaGirl
July 3rd, 2008, 10:33 AM
Thank you so much, StillAHulaGirl. We drive past Chattanooga when we go to visit my son and his family in Chicago - it seems like a wonderful city. I hope you are enjoying it there.
It's a great place. We're slowly on our way to becoming a "green" city! Drop in a say hello next time you're driving through.

missy60
July 3rd, 2008, 11:43 AM
Wow tomm amazing growth and updo skills.

ladiosaRosa
July 3rd, 2008, 11:48 AM
Nice growth, tomm! Your hair looks so healthy; nice ringlets, hairtoys and updo's! Looking forward to seeing pics again, next year.

Just_Isabel
July 3rd, 2008, 12:30 PM
Congratulations, Tomm! Nice growth and nice curls! :D
I've also been dealing with more frizz. :rolleyes: It's the price we have to pay for the curls, and I think it's worth it, even if I'm often annoyed by it. :)

Thank you for the wonderful encouragement, speedbump. I plan to enjoy each step on the way to MBL. My personal equivalent to BSL, based on seeing so many men at the gym wearing them, is (exercise) heart-rate monitor length. :)

Yes! I also like to wear a HRM (it's interesting, I think, to know how it behaves), and yes, it's at the same level. Maybe we should start calling BSL HRML? :laugh:

wavestogrow
July 3rd, 2008, 04:15 PM
Great progress Tomm! It's grown a good amount since I've last seen it even! I nominate you for the "boingiest curls award." You have amazing hair!

tomm
July 3rd, 2008, 07:25 PM
Thank you, missy60 and ladiosaRosa. Who knows - maybe a braid picture too by next year.

tomm
July 3rd, 2008, 07:27 PM
Thank you so much Isabel - yes, the curls definitely are worth the frizz :lol:

On to HRML!

tomm
July 3rd, 2008, 07:28 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you, wavestogrow! My curls are blushing!

skay
July 3rd, 2008, 09:15 PM
Love the ringlets! Great growing and progress!

tomm
July 4th, 2008, 05:36 AM
thank you, skay!

harley mama
July 4th, 2008, 08:08 AM
Tomm, your hair is looking really great. I love the bunji wild your wild ponytail.
I am looking forward to seeing you with soppy wet hair so, we can tell how long it really is. It has been fun watching your progress.

Garnett
July 4th, 2008, 09:50 AM
it looks awesome! Congrats on great growth :D

Indigo Girl
July 4th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Wonderful progress, tomm!

I love your curls. :flower:

rosieposie
July 4th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Tomm, your hair is so georgeous!!! The progress sounds fantastic and the evidence is clear. Those curls are wonderful. Keep up all the good work. I cant wait to see your next progress photographs. (I still cant get mine uploaded :( )

tomm
July 5th, 2008, 05:58 AM
Thank you so much, harley mama. It may be a while, but I will get everyone a picture of my hair dripping wet.

tomm
July 5th, 2008, 05:59 AM
Thank you, Garnett, Indigo Girl, and rosieposie - the support of everyone here means a lot to me.

Xandergrammy
July 5th, 2008, 07:15 AM
tomm, your hair looks amazing! I want your curls and they're so shiny!! Good job. :thumbsup:

lilalong
July 5th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Those curls are truly wonderful.

Keep on growing.

tomm
July 5th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Thank you so much, Xandergrammy and lilalong. My curls are indeed a blessing for which I am most thankful.