PDA

View Full Version : Dont know how to do my hair while it grows out.

Barefoot
August 17th, 2011, 05:05 AM
My hair is at that awkward stage, it is about an inch long at the ends, slightly longer everywhere else, it looks like a really badly styled mullet. It is really flat (I have straight hair) and just hangs. I want to start putting it up, but short of toddler pigtails I cant think of what to do with it.

Any ideas of how it might look good? I am 31, and overweight, so I dont think I could pull off young and funky stuff, I want stylish and able to be worn to work (in a government agancy)

Please help, I am almost ready to cut it again, but really dont want to.

linnepinne
August 17th, 2011, 05:40 AM
Maybe you could experiment with some scarves or head bands? That's what I did when I was growing out mine. Not a fun stage, but it will be over quickly. The scarves and head bands will draw the attention from you hair.

Apple_Betty
August 17th, 2011, 05:56 AM
I second the scarves and headbands, as well as cute hats. You can do it!

heartgoesboom
August 17th, 2011, 06:41 AM
do you have a picture? my sister cut her hair pretty short and when she wanted it up, i was able to roll each sides's perimeter to the back and secured the back with clips... if that makes sense. i can take a pic if needed!

lunalesca
August 17th, 2011, 07:01 AM
maybe you could make a low side-parting, use styling cream to comb your hair diagonal over your forehead, and put a nice clip in?

Copasetic
August 17th, 2011, 08:33 AM
Scarves and headbands would be a cute idea! You can also try using clips and bobby pins to pin the front, and the leave the rest loose.

spidermom
August 17th, 2011, 09:31 AM
To avoid the mullet, get teeny trims off the back. (that's what I would do, anyway)

What I did a lot while my hair was growing out from a pixie was take some styling gel and slick all my hair straight back while it was wet. It made for a neater look. Once it dries, you can comb through it to break up the wet-look gel will give you.

georgia_peach
August 17th, 2011, 10:19 AM
You've gotten some great suggestions, and I've had to use them all this past year. I had a super short pixie in October and am just getting to the top of my collar. I probably use the little jaw clips the most to pull my bangs back and/or the sides of my hair. I know it's a tough phase, but hang in there!

vanillabones
August 17th, 2011, 10:25 AM
I would suggest headbands. I think they're really cute. And microtrims until it is all one length at the bottom. I know how long it takes to grow out the layers around the crown. Honestly at your stage I experimented with wigs because it was winter and all I had was classes :(

CarpeDM
August 17th, 2011, 11:23 AM
Headbands were my best friends while I was growing out my shorter hair.

Xandergrammy
August 17th, 2011, 11:27 AM
What I did a lot while my hair was growing out from a pixie was take some styling gel and slick all my hair straight back while it was wet. It made for a neater look. Once it dries, you can comb through it to break up the wet-look gel will give you.

I totally agree with spidermom. At this stage, styling gel, bobby pins and head bands were my best friend.

Coffeebug
August 17th, 2011, 11:31 AM
I used tiny butterfly shaped jaw clips when I was growing mine out and twisted little sections of hair back into them. It held really well and got me past that awkward stage.

swearnsue
August 17th, 2011, 11:33 AM
I used to work in a govt agency and something cheerful was always welcome. You could do a seasonal thing with your headbands and clips by getting cute items from Claire's. For Halloween get some clips with pumpkins, for Christmas little trimmed trees, New Years little sparkles like fireworks. I know it's silly but it's fun and you only live once! But on the other hand if you have to look "professional" then you might have to use gel or aloe vera and try to style it that way. Don't give up though, you'll get through this awkward stage!

Barefoot
August 18th, 2011, 06:00 AM
Ah, the place I work has uniforms, I am a manager and am supposed to look professional, we have strict dress codes re headwear and scarves have to be the issued scarf which is awful and very short (I doubt I could tie it around my head.)

I hate my hair in a bob so am trying to avoid that stage by leaving the back long-ish now.

I start back at work in 6 weeks (on maternity leave now) so would rather leave a trim until then anyway.

Here is a pic (I closed my eyes as they close with the flash anyway, at least this way I dont look stoned, lol)
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b166/froggy80au/IMAG0668.jpg

Barefoot
August 18th, 2011, 06:00 AM
My face is chubbier than normal, I have had my wisdom teeth out.

Apple_Betty
August 18th, 2011, 06:56 AM
New baby, and wisdom teeth out!? Poor momma! I would say that itty bitty pigtails would look super cute on you! I rocked them when I was growing out my hair, and sometimes I miss them. :D

elbow chic
August 18th, 2011, 06:59 AM
Slap a hat on it? That's how I got through. This too shall pass!

carmenvanessa
August 19th, 2011, 12:04 PM
I would recommend skinny headbands that come in neutral colors so that they wont call too much attention due to the uniform policy but they will hold back you hair.
http://www.amazon.com/Scunci-No-slip-2-strand-Plastic-Headband/dp/B001T8W6PY/ref=pd_sim_bt_4

Also, I agree that clips would be very helpful during this stage.
http://www.amazon.com/Scunci-No-slip-Clips-6-Count-Colors/dp/B001SXNQDG/ref=pd_sim_bt_1

You're hair looks better than you think, and it will grow soon!!!!

georgia_peach
August 19th, 2011, 01:00 PM
New baby, and wisdom teeth out!? Poor momma! Gee whiz...you said it! Hang in there Barefoot. :blossom: If you can get through this tough stage, I think you'll be super happy with how easy and fast you can style longer hair to make it look great.

Barefoot
October 22nd, 2011, 07:56 PM
I got through, now it is slightly longer and I can twist the front bits back and bobby pin them. I cant wait until it is long enough to try some real styles.