PDA

View Full Version : Moisturizing treatment suggestions?

MissAlida
August 17th, 2011, 02:03 AM
I would like to hear about what you all use as moisturizing treatments. I heard about the SMT's but I can't do it, since I can't find the ingredients(such as aloe gel) anywhere in my hometown. :rolleyes: I have an aloe plant, but it's still a baby, and I feel bad cutting it's leaves.However, yesterday I tried a yoghurt, watermelon and olive oil mixture. I left it on for about an hour and a half, and was very pleased with the result. Any ideas?:)

ETA: Also, is there an official no-poo thread? I have been a no poo for a month , but couldn't find a thread about it, and the words are too short to do a search based on them.:confused:

kidari
August 17th, 2011, 02:18 AM
I've had success with a heavy oiling washed out with a CO wash. Simple, easy, and effective.

lynnala
August 17th, 2011, 02:19 AM
Here's a water-only thread: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=3412

milk
August 17th, 2011, 02:25 AM
Here is a CO-wash thread http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2898
thats pretty much the same thing!

For homemade moisturizing treatment I like to mix over ripe bananas/avocados with honey and coconut milk/yoghurt.

virgo75
August 17th, 2011, 02:33 AM
You can make an alternative SMT by mixing conditioner with honey and the oil of your choice. Aloe vera isn't necessary and can act funny(leave white bits) in the hair when mixed with the wrong conditioner.

MissAlida
August 17th, 2011, 02:41 AM
I've had success with a heavy oiling washed out with a CO wash. Simple, easy, and effective.
I do heavy oilings twice a week, and leave it on for sleep right before the days I wash my hair. But I always tought that oils and moisture are not the same thing. I read it somewhere around here that oils are used to help the cuticles lay flat and add shine, while moisture comes from water based products/masks? I'm not sure anymore. Anyways, thanks for the suggestion, I'll keep on oiling my hair, it has good effects.:)

Dear lynnala and milk. Thank you for the links, but I am once again confused. I realise that CO and WO does not contain shampoo in the routines, but I always tought that no-poo stands for a BS/vinegar routine (that is what I use). I should have been more explicit.:o

MissAlida
August 17th, 2011, 02:42 AM
You can make an alternative SMT by mixing conditioner with honey and the oil of your choice. Aloe vera isn't necessary and can act funny(leave white bits) in the hair when mixed with the wrong conditioner.
Wow, I'm really glad to hear that, I'm going to try it on friday, before I wash my hair. Can't wait to see how it works out. Are there any specifics about the amount of ingredients I should use? My hair is at APL.:)

virgo75
August 17th, 2011, 03:07 AM
Wow, I'm really glad to hear that, I'm going to try it on friday, before I wash my hair. Can't wait to see how it works out. Are there any specifics about the amount of ingredients I should use? My hair is at APL.:)

I'm sorry but I don't measure. :oops:
Just pour a 1/2 cup to 1 cup of any conditioner into a bowl then add honey and oil and mix it with my hand. I'd guess that my mix is about 2/3 conditioner and 1/3 other stuff with oil being the least of it.

Hope that helps. :flower:

kidari
August 17th, 2011, 03:16 AM
I think you're right about the oilings, I'm pretty new here. I was supposed to try a coconut milk soak, but things popped up and it didn't work out and I had no time for it. I really enjoy reading Gladtobemom's blog and I discovered coconut milk soaks from there. I've been dying to try it out. If you're interested in going completely no-poo, one of the members here, Roscata blogs about going no-poo even with her clarifying washes. There is a link to her hair site underneath her signatures. I have no idea how to link in a message, but I really enjoy reading their blogs.

milk
August 17th, 2011, 03:23 AM
I do heavy oilings twice a week, and leave it on for sleep right before the days I wash my hair. But I always tought that oils and moisture are not the same thing. I read it somewhere around here that oils are used to help the cuticles lay flat and add shine, while moisture comes from water based products/masks? I'm not sure anymore. Anyways, thanks for the suggestion, I'll keep on oiling my hair, it has good effects.:)

Dear lynnala and milk. Thank you for the links, but I am once again confused. I realise that CO and WO does not contain shampoo in the routines, but I always tought that no-poo stands for a BS/vinegar routine (that is what I use). I should have been more explicit.:o

You are right, oils and moisture is not the same thing, the oils helps to lock the moisture in.

And for no poo, no poo stands for leaving out SLS (which most shampoos contain), cones and mineral oils. You can either use the BS/ASV, the WO or the CO-washing method if you are a no poo-er. Just go for what your hair likes the most, or mix all three methods!

MissAlida
August 17th, 2011, 03:28 AM
I'm sorry but I don't measure. :oops:
Just pour a 1/2 cup to 1 cup of any conditioner into a bowl then add honey and oil and mix it with my hand. I'd guess that my mix is about 2/3 conditioner and 1/3 other stuff with oil being the least of it.

Hope that helps. :flower:

I can't wait to try. Thank you:flowers:

MissAlida
August 17th, 2011, 03:32 AM
I think you're right about the oilings, I'm pretty new here. I was supposed to try a coconut milk soak, but things popped up and it didn't work out and I had no time for it. I really enjoy reading Gladtobemom's blog and I discovered coconut milk soaks from there. I've been dying to try it out. If you're interested in going completely no-poo, one of the members here, Roscata blogs about going no-poo even with her clarifying washes. There is a link to her hair site underneath her signatures. I have no idea how to link in a message, but I really enjoy reading their blogs.
I'll be sure to check out the blog:D. As for the being new part, I guess I am newer than you:p. The coconut milk thing sounds soooo good, but in my hometown, I can't even find coconut oil, let alone milk... I've been searching for a BBB for months now, and I couldn't find one. It gets really frustrating.:(

MissAlida
August 17th, 2011, 03:36 AM
You are right, oils and moisture is not the same thing, the oils helps to lock the moisture in.

And for no poo, no poo stands for leaving out SLS (which most shampoos contain), cones and mineral oils. You can either use the BS/ASV, the WO or the CO-washing method if you are a no poo-er. Just go for what your hair likes the most, or mix all three methods!

I think I'll stick whit the BS/white vinegar. It works well for me, I'm glad I don't have to use shampoo anymore. Even my dandruff disapeard since I don't use shampoo anymore, tough I used to use an anti-dandruff shampoo for several years. I am so happy:D. Thank you for the accurate definition of no-poo, I never knew what it stood for exactly.:flower: