PDA

View Full Version : googling long hair...

archel
August 17th, 2011, 01:12 AM
The Wikipedia article on long hair estimates that waist length takes about 7 years for most people. Wow! From a chin length bob, I can get there in 3-4. Is this super fast or are they over estimating or what?

pink.sara
August 17th, 2011, 01:21 AM
Actually as waist on me is 36 inches and my hair grows a teeny bit less than 1/2 an inch a month that'd be spot on from bald!
Depressing thought for the slow growers!!

archel
August 17th, 2011, 01:22 AM
Well, maybe that's not actually slow and I'm some freak of nature? LOL

pink.sara
August 17th, 2011, 01:24 AM
Lol, maybe, but it's a good kind of freaky! ;)

pink.sara
I wonder how many LHC'ers have actually done this and know how long it took them?!

Arashi
I'm guessing they mean from completely bald..? I don't know, it seems like an awfully long time, but realistic if bald is the starting point I'd guess. :confused:
From chin or shoulder I don't think it would take nearly that long for most people, though.

Ishje
August 17th, 2011, 01:30 AM
I have been growing out my dye, and after a year it has reached my ears, so waist length in 7 years sounds plausible to me ;)
it would be different from person to person though, because the distance to waist is not the same for everybody.

I do wonder if they included trims with it?

Desideira
August 17th, 2011, 01:40 AM
oh dear:( i hope mine will grow faster. It will depend on how tall somene is and what is the leng to begin with. 7 years is too long:(

I am now BSL and I dream to reach waist till april next year? is this possible? do you think? :rolleyes:

christine1989
August 17th, 2011, 01:40 AM
Wikipedia has no idea what it is talking about. I had a chin length bob in July of 2009 and I'm at waist now (just about 2 years). I can't immagine waist would take 7 even if you were totally bald.

ericthegreat
August 17th, 2011, 01:42 AM
Okay well first off, its wikipedia ;). Since its user submitted, take everything you read from there with a decent grain of salt.

With that being said, perhaps the user who submitted that entry was talking about if a person was growing from bald to waist length. There is an enormous difference between growing from say shoulder or even chin length to waist length, and growing from absolutely bald to waist length. The person with shoulder or chin will have up to a 2 year head start.

kme81
August 17th, 2011, 01:46 AM
It probably would have taken me 7 years to get from bob to waist it I hadn't gotten it layered at apl.

Edit: ...meaning that I would have been at waist by now...I have been growing out a chin bob for a little longer than 7 years. :/

ladyfey
August 17th, 2011, 01:47 AM
I had a bob and went to knee in 4 years, with a few big trims. But my hair grows like crazy!

Barniie
August 17th, 2011, 01:55 AM
Well I started growing from chin in February 2010. Its August 2011 now and my hair is in the inbetween stages of BSL-waist (maybe two inches below bsl?). It's taken me one and a half years and it should be waist by the end of this year/early next year hopefully! That would be 2 or two and a half years ish.

hmmm o.o

Rusticular
August 17th, 2011, 02:11 AM
Definitely depends on the person. Wikipedia is a hard one to take seriously(though I tend to take it as the be-all and end-all).

Ladyfey, I envy the speed that your hair grows! Must eat a lot of spinach or something, haha..

Tuna
August 17th, 2011, 02:33 AM
Depends... i got from ear to past hip in two years. One of my friends got from shoulder to classic in one year.

Alaia
August 17th, 2011, 02:41 AM
I think several members and former members here have grown from bald. I was under the impression that one of them got way past waist in 7 years, and she is quite tall.

For me I doubt it would take that long. I'm quite short. Waist for me is 29", so that would be, what... just under 5 years?

Desideira
August 17th, 2011, 02:43 AM
Depends... i got from ear to past hip in two years. One of my friends got from shoulder to classic in one year.

wow, thats amazing growth:agape:

skyblue
August 17th, 2011, 02:44 AM
I'd say my hair grows at least 1/2 inch a month sometimes a little less, I did have one big cut of 3 or 4 inches when I was at about bsl then a lot of tiny little trims since then, I had stubble on my head in 2003 and now at 2011 my hair is just past TB so thats 8 yrs, so yeah for me that does sound about right
Oh yeah I forgot to say I'm 5'6

Ligeia_13
August 17th, 2011, 04:53 AM
Well, to be fair, it does say a few trims included but we don't know how big of a trim :)

...One of my friends got from shoulder to classic in one year.

:O

How is that even possible? Wouldn't she have to be growing multiple inches a month? I need to meet you and your friend, maybe some good growing genes will ruv off on me :p

Carolyn
August 17th, 2011, 07:21 AM
Well everyone is different. Different growth rates. Some have longer measurements top of head to waist. Some people trim more than others. There are so many variables. Waist is 33" on me and I grow 1/2" per months but I usually net 3-4" per year with trims. My personal experience was I went from shoulder layers to waist in a little over 5 years. If I had grown to waist from bald I'm sure it would have taken at least 7 years.

neko_kawaii
August 17th, 2011, 07:24 AM
I go from chin to waist in three years but it would take my mother a decade. Everyone has different growth rates.

Mairéad
August 17th, 2011, 07:29 AM
Maybe it takes that long for someone who takes completely cruddy care of their hair, gets trims, and was completely bald. I can get to waist in 2-3 years. Also, waist length is so different on everyone. Mine would be about 26 inches since I'm both short AND high waisted.

Madora
August 17th, 2011, 07:30 AM
Okay well first off, its wikipedia ;). Since its user submitted, take everything you read from there with a decent grain of salt.

With that being said, perhaps the user who submitted that entry was talking about if a person was growing from bald to waist length. There is an enormous difference between growing from say shoulder or even chin length to waist length, and growing from absolutely bald to waist length. The person with shoulder or chin will have up to a 2 year head start.

Exactly, ericthegreat. Wiki is not a reliable source for info. Also, since hair grows at different rates for different people, there's no telling how slow/fast it would be to grow hair to waist length.

Fairlight63
August 17th, 2011, 07:32 AM
In 2007 - 4 yrs. ago (I can remember it was 4 yrs. ago in June because my last grand child was born then & my hair was chin length. 5" long layers on top & gradulated down to 1" length at the nape. ) I have had mini trims of 1/4" every couple of months. My hair now is at 36 1/2" it is past waist & heading to TBL.

neko_kawaii
August 17th, 2011, 07:41 AM
Maybe it takes that long for someone who takes completely cruddy care of their hair, gets trims, and was completely bald. I can get to waist in 2-3 years. Also, waist length is so different on everyone. Mine would be about 26 inches since I'm both short AND high waisted.

Not necessarily. My mother hasn't had her hair trimmed in the past 20 years, does S&D herself quite regularly, doesn't do any heat treatments, finger combs and her hair probably grows a few inches a year.

racrane
August 17th, 2011, 07:42 AM
Waist takes me two years from a chin length bob. How fast your hair grows is different for everyone.

Mairéad
August 17th, 2011, 07:48 AM
Not necessarily. My mother hasn't had her hair trimmed in the past 20 years, does S&D herself quite regularly, doesn't do any heat treatments, finger combs and her hair probably grows a few inches a year.

I agree, not necessarily. But, my hair sure didn't really grow much when I used to treat it poorly because it would break. It would grow, but my treatment of my hair would compromise how much of it I got to keep. Since improving my hair care it doesn't really grow faster but I get to keep it all!

terpentyna
August 17th, 2011, 08:07 AM

WHAT is in the water??

Anyway, stating how long getting to waist length is -ehem- silly, people's growth rates, hair types and torso lengths are very different.

Raiscake
August 17th, 2011, 08:16 AM
Consider height differences too. Waist would take longer to reach for taller people in general. It took me a year to get from shoulder to a few inches past BSL. I might be at waist by now if I didn't trim back a few months ago. That would be a year and 8 months for me.

BeckyAH
August 17th, 2011, 08:17 AM
A lot of this is a body build. I am 5'6", but my inseam is the same as my 6'3" husband's. That means I have no torso to speak of. My lowest rib and the top of my pelvis literally have about an inch between them. There are maybe -maybe- 3 inches between the bottom of my bra-strap and waist, and it's probably more like 2, 2.5. For me to get to waist, or even hip, is not a big deal. Beyond that, body markers are rather more spread out.

Yozhik
August 17th, 2011, 08:19 AM
Chin to past waist took me less than 3 years. :)

However, I'm expecting my trip from waist to hip to be much longer than BSL to waist, just because of how I'm proportioned, so it all really depends.

Sunshineliz
August 17th, 2011, 08:27 AM
Hmmm...assuming hair grows at an average of 1/2 in per month...6 in per year....42 inches in 7 years with no trims and no significant breakage. Wouldn't that be past waist on anyone??:confused:

ETA: Add in trims or breakage for 5 inches a year...35 inches....hmm...not sure how long that really is without my tape measure.

islandboo
August 17th, 2011, 08:50 AM
Waist on me is about 30" so that would be 5 years with no trimming at all assuming a growth rate of 1/2" per month (which is spot-on for me). However, my hair does best with occasional trims and I am on the short side so I don't think the estimate is completely laughable. I would have estimated 6, not 7. Still, a long time! However, most people don't start from bald.

princessp
August 17th, 2011, 10:25 AM

Lol, right on Eric. :)

didrash
August 17th, 2011, 10:35 AM
I think they mean starting from bald, and having the average growth speed for the larger population - 1/2 an inch a month. We at LHC are used to fast growing so it seems strange. I for one have that average estimated growth - 1/2 an inch a month, it took me 3-4 years to grow from bald to APL, granted I did some trimming. I expect I will be at waist in another 2 years. It is a slow rate for LHC but I don't fret, as it is the most common speed for people in general.

SkinnyCookie
August 17th, 2011, 10:59 AM
That makes me sad! Been growing 16yrs with no significant trims, and I'm only just now at waist! I really envy the people who can set a several inches per month goal. For me, 2" is like my 6 month growth rate, and that's since I started doing scalp massages with grapeseed!

XJawbreaker
August 17th, 2011, 11:07 AM
I cut my hair to chin length when I was 15. I'm now 20 and I'm about 2 inches away from waist.

ericthegreat
August 17th, 2011, 12:32 PM
Exactly, ericthegreat. Wiki is not a reliable source for info. Also, since hair grows at different rates for different people, there's no telling how slow/fast it would be to grow hair to waist length.

Lol, right on Eric. :)

Exactly right to both you ladies.

I also went ahead to the wiki page in question myself. Here it is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_hair

In it, the user said and I quote:

Waist-length hair falls to the smallest part of one's waist (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waist); for most people approximately 80–90 cm (32–36 inches) long, and taking about 7 years to grow, including occasional trims.[12] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_hair#cite_note-cosmetology-11)[13] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_hair#cite_note-Andropathy-12)

So the user was talking about the average rate of hair growth for most people in the mainstream world, who also get occasional trims along the way. I'm guessing those "occasional" trims is the standard "cut every 6-8 weeks" rule, in which case it would indeed take 7 years to reach waist!

The user also added that the average anagen phase for most humans beings is between 2 to 7 years, but that in a few individuals the anagen phase lasts longer, so for them they can potentially grow much longer hair. So that means that many of our LHC members are among those lucky few! :disco:

archel
August 17th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Yeah, I also love how the photo is of a kid with barely APL hair. Not really long in my book.

This Wikipedia spiral sent me on a search for the person with the longest hair in the world, which took me to the Guinness Book of World Records page and from there I stayed up reading about some really freaky weird stuff...ah, the internet!!

StormVixen
August 17th, 2011, 12:53 PM
*OT kinda* if u google images "long hair" who is the guy with the goatee? (i've always wondered this)

Lollipop
August 18th, 2011, 08:29 PM
Waist on me is about 30" so that would be 5 years with no trimming at all assuming a growth rate of 1/2" per month (which is spot-on for me). However, my hair does best with occasional trims and I am on the short side so I don't think the estimate is completely laughable. I would have estimated 6, not 7. Still, a long time! However, most people don't start from bald.

Keep in mind though, that the LHC way of measuring is not suitable for this case. Someone can have hairs that are 3 inches long individually, but the measure from hairline to nape can be 17 inches, if that makes sense. To find how many inches you need to grow from hair to waist you would measure from the nape to the waist. The hair there is the first to hit waist assuming you don't get trims. Measuring from the hairline to the back doesn't actually account for the length of the individual hairs, so your 30" for waist don't actuallyaccount for strands that are 30" long.

I get 1/2 inch a month, and it's 16 inches from nape to waist, so thats 32 months=2 years 8 months. Granteed, I am 5' 2", and this is without trims when the first layers would hit waist. I would say 3 to 4 years seems reasonable considering trims and taller people.

jacqueline101
October 2nd, 2011, 11:31 AM
7 years seems off to me too.

Chromis
October 2nd, 2011, 12:04 PM
I grew from bald. The picture in my sig is only a couple months old. Getting to knee-length has taken me a bit over 8 years.

When I joined LHC, my hair was at BSL.

sally_neuf
October 2nd, 2011, 01:26 PM
I think it depends SO much on the hair type... if your hair curls you're going to take so much more to reach waist than straight hair!
I reached waist from a very short 2'' max pixie in 3 years... but my hair is very straight, so it definitely depends on hair type

jojo
October 2nd, 2011, 01:42 PM
It took me 5 years from cropped bob and waist is 30" on me and im 5 foot 6. So its near enough right and ive trimmed all the way.

I find claims of classic in a year to be more wishful thinking, from shoulder to classic for me is a difference of 33" would mean a steady growth of 2.7" per month. Although we can all have occasional growth spurts, we also have stalls.

JellyBene
October 2nd, 2011, 02:01 PM
Theres no way it takes that long! Hair grows on average 5 to 6 inches a year (ABOUT the length of a hand) so just measure with your hand and you can see that from chin, it only takes 2 hands (2 years) to get to waist. One explanation for Wikipedia's strange estimate is that typically those who are not part of TLHC are trimming their hair about 1-2 inches per month, sometimes more and plus all that heat styling and chemical damage could make for a very long journey to waist.