PDA

View Full Version : Hair Toy Shopping Disappointment

Henna_Goddess
August 16th, 2011, 07:12 PM
So I went to WalMart last night and was so excited to look at the hair toys only to be met with disappointment when I got to the hair isle. Most of the toys were for kids in bright happy kid colors. The others 'toys' were just clips and bobby pins and not very attractive and if they were kind of attractive they were cheaply made and plastic. :: le sigh ::

I really want some pretties!

Seeshami
August 16th, 2011, 07:14 PM
Walgreens may have some fun for you. Or etsy or ebay.

TheCaityCat
August 16th, 2011, 07:14 PM
I've had good luck at Target and Walgreen's! It's still not the same as getting to spend $$$ at Etsy shops and flexi-8s and such, but most of them have a pretty decent selection.

oddbeat
August 16th, 2011, 08:20 PM
Right there with you on this one. I've been to quite a few stores recently and most of what I've found is just slight variations on the same thing. I managed to find exactly one fork out of the half dozen or so stores that I've been to so far. It's hard to find anything hair-friendly and when you finally do - it's ugly. So frustrating.

Carolyn
August 16th, 2011, 09:15 PM
Well Walmart IS Walmart...KWIM? I wouldn't even begin to expect anything there. Walgreens, Target, CVS, and Rite Aid have better selections. Claire's and Icing used to have some fairly decent thing but I've heard they have cut way back on their hair toys selections lately. I don't think you have Meijers in Missouri but I'll mention them just in case. Nordstoms often has some nice things but it can be hit or miss there.

patienceneeded
August 16th, 2011, 09:25 PM
I have found nice (and inexpensive) hair toys at Claires and Icing in the past. I was at a Claires about 2 weeks ago and they're selection was less than I remember, but it may have been the fact that the mall I was at was pretty empty, very few stores. I haven't been to the bigger malls near me to see if the selection is bigger. One of my favorite hair sticks is from Claires, I've had it for years.

oddbeat
August 16th, 2011, 09:36 PM
BTW, not to hijack the thread, but I do have a hair stick from Claire's but it's too long for me and looks ridiculous. Anyone have any experience in cutting them down? It's one of the plastic ones. I was just wondering if it was actually possible without ruining it.

Juneii
August 16th, 2011, 10:10 PM
What did you expect? Walmart is definitely not the place to go looking for decent hair toys. Not gonna lie though, I still wander around the hair accessories isle in hopes that maybe - just maybe - something nice would be there. I don't think any drugstores carry nice hair things but maybe that's just me. The clips are okay, the barrettes are too small for my hair, the only things I buy that is hair related from those stores are hair ties and spin pins. I would suggest checking Etsy or just other places online for nice hair toys, just know you're going to have to shell out more money for something that doesn't look cheap.

dRummie
August 16th, 2011, 10:12 PM
I'm having the same problem. Walmarts around here are good for Goody products, but not much else. I've been to a few Claire's, and there's not a hair stick or french twist comb in sight. And all the other stores that I keep seeing mentioned don't exist here in Canada.

No advice, but you have my sympathy :)

swearnsue
August 16th, 2011, 10:28 PM
If you like pretty things made with sparklies, go to Kirk's Folly website. They have tons of barretts in different sizes and colors. I bought some earings from them years ago and I still wear them and get compliments. They use swaroski (sp?) crystals. At least have fun looking!