PDA

View Full Version : Grow, hair, growwww

dRummie
August 16th, 2011, 06:38 PM
I'm sure this thread is a duplicate of many that came before, but I hope a person's need to vent will be forgiven.

How long is it going to take for me to be able to try any interesting buns? Actually, scratch that, how long before I can try anything besides a cinnabun?

My hair now is just touching APL, and I can do a messy cinnabun with one turn in it. It holds reasonably with spin pins. I figured I could give the lazy wrap bun a try, the girl's hair in the video was maybe a couple inches longer than mine. Nope, no luck, couldn't get it even once around my fingers, never mind that second turn.

Is there anything interesting I can try at this length? And how long does hair of my thickness (3.7" circ) generally need to be for the "good stuff"? Lol.

The french twist (with its variations) is my best friend right now :violin:

InTheCity
August 16th, 2011, 07:07 PM
I swear the grass is always greener...

At your length I could do lots because my hair was so thin. I would trade thickness for no style options any day of the week, but I can see how you'd be eager to do some cool stuff.

Best I can say is separate and do cooler buns with less hair. Either by multiple buns or half up in a bun (think Belle from Beauty and the Beast!)

Anje
August 16th, 2011, 07:17 PM
No lazy wraps, huh? Can you get the hair around in a loop, but not wrapped around the base? Simply making a loop with the ends tucked under and pinning it with a stick should be sufficient, but I know it takes a bit more length if you've got a fatter chunk of hair to start with.

Alternatively, you could try bunning the top half of your hair in a cinnamon bun, then twist and wrap the bottom half around that. Spirally and flatter that a just-barely-can-manage-it cinnamon bun.

sun-kissed
August 16th, 2011, 07:22 PM
I feel just the same at BSL.. but it'll grow someday!
Maybe this (http://www.longhaircommunity.com/archive/showthread.php?t=61953) bun will work for you? It's like a fake eternity bun. I don't know, since your hair is much thicker than mine it might not hold, but it's worth a try...

Also, since you like spin pins, try some 1/2- ups, I bet they would be beautiful. (:

dRummie
August 16th, 2011, 07:55 PM
InTheCity - Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not wishing it were thinner. I actually spent most of my life thinking I had exceptionally thin hair (because nobody who ever commented on it knew the difference between "fine" and "thin"), so now that I realize it's not, I'm enjoying every minute of it. ... except just this one, lol.
I'm going to try more half-ups, thank you for the suggestion :) They can be difficult because I have layers, but I'm sure I can get something to work.

Anje - I can make a loop, but I'm having trouble picturing how I would secure that with a stick.. Is the loop twisted around itself after? I will definitely try that two-step cinnamon bun.. it sounds like it might fulfill my want for something fancy-looking.

sun-kissed - You're right, anything is worth a try :) I don't think I'll be able to wrap around the base of a folded pony tail, but no harm checking.

I'll be trying all these things when my hair is dry again.. Thanks so much for the suggestions! This is making it a little easier to be patient while drooling over all the pretty styles on this forum :cheese:

jojo
August 16th, 2011, 08:12 PM
I liked peacock twists at your length, I really do miss the simplicity of those. As for fancy buns I was past BSL before I could do those, it all depends on how thick your hair is, thinner haired people always get bunned up sooner than us thicker haired people.