PDA

View Full Version : Raw food...anyone else?

kitcatsmeow
August 16th, 2011, 05:47 PM
Are any of you raw foodist? I started this lifestyle about a week ago and I love it so far. I'm about eating 95% raw..Still have a cup of coffee and tea a day and as I'm still learning I'm finding out what is labeled "raw" may not actually really be raw so I'm getting there day by day.

I'm seeing positive changes in my health and overall well being already and I'm curious to see what it does for my hair growth/health. I've heard very positive things about the ant aging effects this lifestyle brings and I can't wait to see the proof first had!

Any one else?

CurlAhead
August 16th, 2011, 05:51 PM
What do you mean by raw? Like not cooked meat and stuff?

lizdini
August 16th, 2011, 06:02 PM
I've been thinking about doing a raw or "mostly raw" diet for a while now. Something much healthier than my current soda and chips lifestyle anyway. Let us know how it works out for you!

Longlocks3
August 16th, 2011, 06:08 PM
I drink raw milk, if that counts!

Wear I live, legally raw milk is prohibited but there are ways around that. I just don't see why it's illegal when it's my choice and I'm not hurting anyone.

Certain raw foods are a risk but so are some cooked foods that are mishandled!

ratgirldjh
August 16th, 2011, 06:28 PM
I eat mostly raw veggies and prefer them. However I do eat cooked meat and eggs. Usually I have meat and salad for lunch and dinner and I love cucumber/red pepper salad with everything! I also eat a lot of beans. The only grain I eat is popcorn occasionally for a night time treat and I love it with ghee and coconut oil.

dragonchickx
August 16th, 2011, 06:44 PM
Ive been eating as raw as I can as far as what I consume daily, I try to eat the least amount of processed foods possible.. which is pretty much a small portion of my food and I always add lost of fresh veggies and fruit to my diet regularly... but not strictly raw..

kitcatsmeow
August 16th, 2011, 07:17 PM
Raw does not include dairy, or meat of any kind or any food warmed beyond what the sun would heat it. Absolutely nothing processed.

But there is almond milk and coconut milk which I've been making myself. You can make "milk" from almost every nut.

I eat mostly fruit some veggies, seeds and nuts. Oh and sprouts! I'm about to sprout my own beans :) My one cup of coffee and tea a day is pretty much whats keeping me from 100% raw.

http://www.living-foods.com/recipes/ that is a great site for info and recipes. Sooo many yummy recipes. My sister has made some treats that I SWEAR are better than any candy or desert I've ever eaten!

"Cooking" and "baking" is easy when there is no chance of burning it. LOL ;)

curly girl fla
August 16th, 2011, 07:20 PM
I have been almost 100% raw, mostly vegan, except for bee pollen, royal jelly, raw honey for about 4.5 months. I actually backslid yesterday. I don't know why, and it makes me feel awful, but I 'm back on it again now. I feel great, and my almost daily headaches are gone! I used to live off of cheese and breads, too, and I think eliminating those makes the main difference. My hair has been good (I've noticed some growth and more baby hairs) except I've had an extreme amount of shedding the past week. I think it's gotten progressively worse since I started going raw. I have no idea what is causing this-what I may be lacking, since my diet before, although vegetarian, was not very good. I will continue eating raw due to the elimination of headaches alone!!!! But I wish my hair (and nails) would respond as one would expect....
eta: I also was an extreme coffee and soda drinker, but have not had a drop! That may also have alot to do with my generally better feeling of well-being...

Slinks
August 16th, 2011, 07:38 PM
I went raw for about 4 years, up until last year, now I'm about 50 - 50 .. it had it's pros and cons just like every other "lifestyle" I enjoyed it, just like I now enjoy my 50 - 50 :-) I didn't have tea or coffee, lol, I still don't :-) milk and water are my best friends ..

CherrySilver
August 16th, 2011, 07:40 PM
So glad to hear other people on this board are going raw. Although I'm only about 50% or so raw, I try to eat pretty much clean (no refined foods, sugar, white flour, etc.). The more raw I eat, the better I feel.

The biggest difference for me is with juicing and green smoothies. I noticed a *big* change when I gave up dairy (sadly, including cheese). I always felt so bloated and icky but could never figure out why. Good thing I found out about coconut milk ice cream, or I'd be in real trouble!

indiana
August 16th, 2011, 07:51 PM
I am toying with the idea of raw. Went vegetarian/almost Vegan and notice my nails are growing so strong now. Before, I could not grow out my nails without using polish and now they are so strong and healthy. I hope this will also translate to my hair growth.

kitcatsmeow
August 16th, 2011, 07:54 PM
I have been almost 100% raw, mostly vegan, except for bee pollen, royal jelly, raw honey for about 4.5 months. I actually backslid yesterday. I don't know why, and it makes me feel awful, but I 'm back on it again now. I feel great, and my almost daily headaches are gone! I used to live off of cheese and breads, too, and I think eliminating those makes the main difference. My hair has been good (I've noticed some growth and more baby hairs) except I've had an extreme amount of shedding the past week. I think it's gotten progressively worse since I started going raw. I have no idea what is causing this-what I may be lacking, since my diet before, although vegetarian, was not very good. I will continue eating raw due to the elimination of headaches alone!!!! But I wish my hair (and nails) would respond as one would expect....
eta: I also was an extreme coffee and soda drinker, but have not had a drop! That may also have alot to do with my generally better feeling of well-being...

Great to hear the positive feedback!

Perhaps the shedding is just your normal cycle?

I am also an ex EXTREME caffeine addict. It was actually easier to cut it almost completely out than I thought and I too am feeling tons better. I think the caffeine was having negative effects on my entire body not just my hair :(

amyhenna
August 17th, 2011, 12:11 AM
I recently went to raw myself. For milk, I buy organic coconut milk. I stopped eating meat last year, processed foods have been nixed for months, and one thing just led to another and then I realized I think I'm an accidental vegan.

I'm feeling GREAT. LOVE IT. I had gone off Vitamin D, thinking I'd not need supplements if I were eating raw, but my hair started falling out in a noticeably larger quantity than usual, so I just went back on Vitamin D. (My doctor had told me I was dangerously low in it, and put me on the supplement, but I figured eating raw would obviate the need for any supplements. Wrong, apparently.)

So I'm back on the D, living in the D (Detroit), and eating raw.

Life is good, and I expect good things for my hair :-)

milk
August 17th, 2011, 12:24 AM
The only girl I've ever met who is almost 100% raw actually has the most amaxing hair I've seen in real life ever! About tailbone, wavy and supershiny. She's almost 30 but looks not a day older than 21. So she's what made me decide to have one raw week about every other month, have'nt got started yet though :P. Atleast I'm celebrating ten years of being vegetarian next year!

Katurday
August 17th, 2011, 12:32 AM
I reject the idea of raw diets and such... Not because going raw is so evil, but because there seems to be competition over how raw/vegan/paleo etc. you can go. Diets are not supposed to be 100% because none of them fit someone perfectly.

I eat some raw because I like the low amounts of hassle. Like everything, it should be tweaked to your particular needs, not what some diet guru says you need.

AnnaJamila
August 17th, 2011, 12:37 AM
This style of eating has always looked appealing to me, but my husband would never eat that way and I don't like fixing two different meals! We eat a Meditteranean diet (which is really yummy and good for hair, skin, nails and the insides) so I've thought about making the meals he likes for him then eating raw food when I'm eating alone. Which is a lot of the time, unfortunately. :( Lol, sounds like less clean up, too!

It would kind of work for me because it's next to impossible to get halal meat where I live so I'm mostly a pescitarian, but fresh seafood is also hard to get so I could give it up. I really, really REALLY love dairy, though, and it makes me feel good plus it's mentioned in the Qur'an as something wholesome that was supplied for food so that would be the deal breaker for 100% raw.

I think this bears looking into, though . . . :hmm:

kitcatsmeow
August 17th, 2011, 06:32 AM
I reject the idea of raw diets and such... Not because going raw is so evil, but because there seems to be competition over how raw/vegan/paleo etc. you can go. Diets are not supposed to be 100% because none of them fit someone perfectly.

I eat some raw because I like the low amounts of hassle. Like everything, it should be tweaked to your particular needs, not what some diet guru says you need.

I totally understand what your saying! However it's not a "diet" although many do it to loose weight. That's why I refer to it as lifestyle and it's pretty simple. If nature didn't do it...don't eat it! :D
My sisters whom live with me, adapted this first, and I totally rejected it and fought with them over how "dumb" it was as well. And then....I started reading. And researching on my own. Total 360.

Anyhow I wouldn't dare be preachy about it as everything is certainly not for everyone and I'm respectful of ones life choices.

Just looking for others in my community that might share in my excitement and of course....stories like that about the raw foodist with the long beautiful hair!!! :p

Rusticular
August 17th, 2011, 06:40 AM
Out flatting and on a budget, I can't afford to buy foods that have to be cooked. Throughout childhood I ate all my fruit and veggies raw(HATE cooked most cooked vegetables. Raw cauliflower is the tastiest snack I've ever been addicted to), so it's not much of a switch. Unfortunately the lack of meat is bringing my health way down; I'm one of those people that has to eat it, and I can't stand uncooked meat/eggs.

For the most part, however, I never really considered it a 'different' lifestyle. I just found that most things taste far nicer fresh as they are!

kitcatsmeow
August 17th, 2011, 06:45 AM
This style of eating has always looked appealing to me, but my husband would never eat that way and I don't like fixing two different meals! We eat a Meditteranean diet (which is really yummy and good for hair, skin, nails and the insides) so I've thought about making the meals he likes for him then eating raw food when I'm eating alone. Which is a lot of the time, unfortunately. :( Lol, sounds like less clean up, too!

It would kind of work for me because it's next to impossible to get halal meat where I live so I'm mostly a pescitarian, but fresh seafood is also hard to get so I could give it up. I really, really REALLY love dairy, though, and it makes me feel good plus it's mentioned in the Qur'an as something wholesome that was supplied for food so that would be the deal breaker for 100% raw.

I think this bears looking into, though . . . :hmm:

I thought I would miss my yogurt and coffee and hot cocoa. But there is almond milk which is divine and all sort of recipes for substitutes for dairy. Like someone said....I didn't think I had a problem with dairy ( I actually thought it was good for me...) until I quit eating it...
But I barely remember it after a week! If your really serious about it I suggest reading a couple of books and finding some websites first. Send me a msg if you want some recommendations!

DoubleCrowned
August 17th, 2011, 09:21 AM
I think cooking food destroys too many enzymes and vitamins to be the preferred method of food preparation, the exception being tea because the heat of the water is needed to extract the goodness from the herbs.

I went all raw for a few months several years ago, but couldn't keep it up because I didn't know:

1. Where to put all the jars of sprouting beans and grains (very little room around sink); and learning the rinsing schedules for them
2. How to rearrange kitchen--huge stove, little storage, in apartment where permanent changes are forbidden
3. What utensils and appliances I needed to make the recipes
4. What ingredients needed for the recipes--and ability to find them. I could have used a basic shopping list so I could actually start making balanced meals rather than just eliminating cooked food.

So, for me, the transition to raw food did not work out because of my work space and lack of knowledge about recipes. I welcome anyone's tips...

halo_tightens
August 17th, 2011, 10:02 AM
I'm temporarily about 3/4 raw; I allow myself to have cooked foods with one meal of the day. The rest of the day is fruits, veggies, and freshly-made juices only.

It's not a lifestyle for me. I'm just doing it to lose some weight and reset some bad habits. I'm finding it extremely difficult, but I've already lost a few pounds! I'll try and sustain it for as long as I can... It's just not something I could accept as a permanent way of life. For me, it's a temporary reducing diet, nothing more.

Nightshade
August 17th, 2011, 10:10 AM
I'm about 65-85% raw, more in the summer and less in the winter. I switched over after finding out I can't have dairy. I really, really enjoy it and feel a lot better eating this way.

Anje
August 17th, 2011, 10:16 AM
I find it interesting, but I'm not sure I'd do a largely raw diet yet. Partially because I like the taste of hot food. :)

It seems to me that lots of foods I'd otherwise consider eating (many legumes, potatoes, winter squash for example) would be dangerous or difficult to eat without cooking. Do you find this sort of thing limiting?

CurlAhead
August 17th, 2011, 10:22 AM
Okay, I feel SO stupid right now, but I still don't get it. :( Please forgive me for this stupid question!

So you do not eat cooked food at all, which means that you do not eat meat, because eating raw meat can be dangerous? So you get all the protein etc from beans and such? :confused::confused:

halo_tightens
August 17th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Okay, I feel SO stupid right now, but I still don't get it. :( Please forgive me for this stupid question!

So you do not eat cooked food at all, which means that you do not eat meat, because eating raw meat can be dangerous? So you get all the protein etc from beans and such? :confused::confused:

Pretty much. The idea is that cooking food changes it from its natural state and destroys many of its nutrients, so it's better to eat things just as they come from nature.

I don't think I've ever met anyone who adopted a raw diet who wasn't already a vegetarian/vegan, though. Well, except me, lol... but it's only temporary!

CurlAhead
August 17th, 2011, 11:23 AM
Pretty much. The idea is that cooking food changes it from its natural state and destroys many of its nutrients, so it's better to eat things just as they come from nature.

I don't think I've ever met anyone who adopted a raw diet who wasn't already a vegetarian/vegan, though. Well, except me, lol... but it's only temporary!

That sound interesting. I have always been told that always eating cold food and not cooked isn't good for your body.. :rolleyes:

dulce
August 17th, 2011, 11:23 AM
Have changed a good portion of my diet to raw,greek yogurt/fruit,raw assorted salads at each meal, for proteins,whey powder,cottage cheez or cooked beans or veggie burgers or fish-very occasionally chicken or beef.Trying to concentrate on salads.

dulce
August 17th, 2011, 11:24 AM
Forgot almond milk and my raw nuts and seeds.

Nightshade
August 17th, 2011, 12:36 PM
I find it interesting, but I'm not sure I'd do a largely raw diet yet. Partially because I like the taste of hot food. :)

It seems to me that lots of foods I'd otherwise consider eating (many legumes, potatoes, winter squash for example) would be dangerous or difficult to eat without cooking. Do you find this sort of thing limiting?

I eat raw potatoes all the time :oops:

In the winter it's a lot harder, and that's when my % of raw drops lower as it's just so blasted cold up here. But in the summer I find it fun to try a bunch of new fresh things all the time.

For those that are 100% raw, yes. Though if you get beef tartar from a trusted source, it's actually perfectly safe to eat raw.

AlexiaBlue
August 17th, 2011, 01:20 PM
My oldest brother has been eating raw for years. He looks amazingly young, so I definitely believe that switching to an all raw diet has SUPER anti-aging benefits.

I would love to go 100% raw, but I find it so difficult. I work in a field where "socializing" with clients is expected, so it is very hard to follow this strict eating regime while dining out at restaurants. :(

I am going to try and eat raw for 3 days a week and see how that goes. The website that the OP mentioned looks fabulous, and I plan to spend a great deal of time on it, poring over the various recipes.

bushy
August 17th, 2011, 01:52 PM
I did a raw foods diet for about 6 months a few years ago. It was recommended by a naturopathic doctor. I had some health problems that I was suffering with and after I did the 6 months of raw eating, those conditions were cured and I have not had those problems again since (4 years). I do eat some cooked foods now but continue to do about 50-50 which suits my lifestlye more comfortably.

88Marisa
August 18th, 2011, 04:52 AM
I've been experimenting with raw for several years now. I am totally sold on it in theory, but have had a difficult time maintaining 100% for long periods of time. (100% or close to it is my goal). I do eat at least 2 meals raw every day though and have for a long time, and have done 100% for long periods of time on several occasions. I've lost weight, gotten clear skin, improvement in digestive issues, improvement in depression, etc. All in all, very positive.

The more I have learned about raw, the more I am gravitating to a low-fat/high-carb style (which is not what you find with most raw cookbooks/sites), which basically means eating the majority of calories from fruit. I thought I'd mention this since this doesn't seem to be widely known among the raw community, even though it's so much simpler than trying to recreate foods with raw ingredients, not to mention it just feels so good to eat a lot of fruit! But high fat diets and fruit don't mix so well, and a lot of raw fooders get most of their calories from fat, so it takes a shift in direction.

I highly recommend reading The 80-10-10 Diet by Douglas Graham if you're interested in learning more.

curlycrown
August 18th, 2011, 06:58 AM
Hola! I have been a raw foodist for about a year. Im still learning though. What inspired me was the book "Raw food Detox Diet" written by Natalia Rose. Even though I still eat Seafood I have lost weight and my hormone levels have leveled out. I feel so much better. I love Raw foods.

halo_tightens
August 18th, 2011, 07:31 AM
The more I have learned about raw, the more I am gravitating to a low-fat/high-carb style (which is not what you find with most raw cookbooks/sites), which basically means eating the majority of calories from fruit. I thought I'd mention this since this doesn't seem to be widely known among the raw community, even though it's so much simpler than trying to recreate foods with raw ingredients, not to mention it just feels so good to eat a lot of fruit! But high fat diets and fruit don't mix so well, and a lot of raw fooders get most of their calories from fat, so it takes a shift in direction.

This is my way of thinking as well. It certainly is easy to grab a few handfuls of delicious fruit, or throw together a simple salad with some greens. It's even easier with juicing to get a nice variety of fruits and veggies. Now, if only my body would learn to feel satisfied with it... :rolleyes:

88Marisa
August 18th, 2011, 10:18 AM
This is my way of thinking as well. It certainly is easy to grab a few handfuls of delicious fruit, or throw together a simple salad with some greens. It's even easier with juicing to get a nice variety of fruits and veggies. Now, if only my body would learn to feel satisfied with it... :rolleyes:

Yes, you have to eat a lot more, quantity-wise, to feel good. But I also struggle with wanting calorie-dense food to feel full, even though it should be fine providing you eat enough, volume-wise.

Canarygirl
August 18th, 2011, 02:52 PM
What I wonder about from a scientific perspective is how does the body get enough protein on a nearly all raw food diet? Do raw food adherents reject the notion that the body needs ~1 gm of protein per lb of lean body mass? If they don't reject it, where does that much protein come from in raw foods? I would be very interested in seeing someone's daily intake tracked on fitday or one of those other programs that breaks out the nutrients in your food. I'd worry that without enough protein, my muscle mass, hormones, or hair/nails would go downhill.

If you'd like to share your thoughts on this I would appreciate it!

ccmso12
August 18th, 2011, 02:56 PM
just started my dog on a raw diet if that counts LOL. Its soething Id like to try . . .but I require mega protein and dont feel I could get it on a strictly raw diet as unlike my dog my meat needs to be cooked lolo

kitcatsmeow
August 18th, 2011, 03:28 PM
What I wonder about from a scientific perspective is how does the body get enough protein on a nearly all raw food diet? Do raw food adherents reject the notion that the body needs ~1 gm of protein per lb of lean body mass? If they don't reject it, where does that much protein come from in raw foods? I would be very interested in seeing someone's daily intake tracked on fitday or one of those other programs that breaks out the nutrients in your food. I'd worry that without enough protein, my muscle mass, hormones, or hair/nails would go downhill.

Raw foodist believe that the amount of protein recamended is overestimated. That being said there are plenty of protein in fruits and veggies if your eating the proper quantity and of course seeds and nuts are great sources. It's quite feasible to consume the "proper" amount of protein with a raw food lifestyle.

Burlap
August 18th, 2011, 03:47 PM

Wear I live, legally raw milk is prohibited but there are ways around that. I just don't see why it's illegal when it's my choice and I'm not hurting anyone.

It's illegal because the food industry is completely backwards. I'v been reading about farm factories and the politics surrounding the food industry - and its quite disgusting what goes on.

I completely agree with you on how it's your choice. Plus - raw milk (if organic and/or locally grown using sustainable methods) is much safer than beef you get at a grocery store.

If you're looking into a mostly raw diet I suggest getting the book "Food Rules" by Michael Pollan, or any book by him for that matter. I suggested this book on another thread about weight loss before. He gives some really great tips on staying healthy, and how to shop healthy (the real way).

lapispimpernel
August 18th, 2011, 04:16 PM
I completely agree with you on how it's your choice. Plus - raw milk (if organic and/or locally grown using sustainable methods) is much safer than beef you get at a grocery store.

I can't get over the TB factor for raw milk, though the risk is smaller now. (My mom's in public health, so lice & TB have always been 'things' for me. shudder:) We don't have many dairy farms around here anyway, otherwise I might try some slow-pasteurized, non-homogenized stuff.

curly girl fla
August 18th, 2011, 06:01 PM
Raw foodist believe that the amount of protein recamended is overestimated. That being said there are plenty of protein in fruits and veggies if your eating the proper quantity and of course seeds and nuts are great sources. It's quite feasible to consume the "proper" amount of protein with a raw food lifestyle.
I was getting a major amounts of protein from seeds and nuts, but my problem is I tend to overdo it...and that means too much fat depending on the nuts. I've always had a tendency to overeat what I like, and it's no different if it's a good-for-you veggie. One thing that I do like is to have every morning after I work out, or sometimes for lunch at work, is Garden of Life Organic Raw Meal Replacement. I add shots of powdered wheat grass to it. I know it's not technically what raw foodist approve of, but I am up and out of the house early, kids in tow, and it works for me. I also take chlorella, spirulina and Garden of Life Raw D3 and Enzymes. I keep it simple-some days I live off of watermelon, grapefruit and bananas-all fruit, frowned upon... I may not be considered raw by the diehard raw foodists, but I have to do what works for me. And I started back on garlic supplements (and consuming as much raw garlic in various forms as I can) and I believe it has started to help with my shedding. Time will tell...:)

Kherome
August 18th, 2011, 07:42 PM

I live right next door to you, and it's illegal here too :( I actually blog about this issue too. How ridiculous that the government can tell us what we can eat...

88Marisa
August 18th, 2011, 08:00 PM

There are a couple things, first off, you really don't need as much protein as we're generally taught, and I say that with some scientific justification, the WHO recommends 10% of calories from protein (to be on the safe side, the actual need is only about 5-7%), and also there are no diseases of protein deficiency that occur without malnutrition also being present.

So basically if you eat enough calories (from ANY source) protein deficiency is not something you need to worry about. Also, the body does recycle the majority of its protein needs. I don't know if this has been scientifically proven, but there is also the idea that you actually have less protein requirements when you eat raw because you don't have to produce as many enzymes (which are proteins) to digest food to begin with.

Too much protein in the diet is actually bad for you in a variety of ways, the process of breaking protein down creates waste that requires your body to use more minerals and high protein diets can lead to kidney problems too.

All whole foods have some protein in them (even fruit has about 5% of calories from protein on average), and eating a large salad of leafy greens every day, especially if you add in other veggies like cucumbers, plus the occasional handful of nuts averages out to about 10% of calories from protein overall.

Getting enough calories is more important than getting a certain amount of protein. There are many people following this type of raw diet who are athletes and even those who build serious muscle eating about 10% of calories from protein. They even have great hair! :)

sarahlouisa
August 18th, 2011, 08:24 PM
I've been raw vegan for 3 years, and it has done me a world of good. Just about everything gets better on this kind of diet, and I just can't praise it enough. But if you are interested in the raw lifestyle you MUST invest in two things: A Blendtec high-speed blender ( the very best brand, pricey and worth it) and a dehydrator (Excaliber). A really good ceramic knife will help too. Going raw is kind of like learning a new language - its a totally new way of thinking about food and eating. Check out "The Sunfood Success Diet" by David Wolfe, and anything by Dr. Gabriel Cousens. And I love Ani Phyo's cook books.

kitcatsmeow
August 19th, 2011, 08:19 AM
I've been raw vegan for 3 years, and it has done me a world of good. Just about everything gets better on this kind of diet, and I just can't praise it enough. But if you are interested in the raw lifestyle you MUST invest in two things: A Blendtec high-speed blender ( the very best brand, pricey and worth it) and a dehydrator (Excaliber). A really good ceramic knife will help too. Going raw is kind of like learning a new language - its a totally new way of thinking about food and eating. Check out "The Sunfood Success Diet" by David Wolfe, and anything by Dr. Gabriel Cousens. And I love Ani Phyo's cook books.

Could not agree more! I love it so far. We are looking to upgrade our blender and have already had plans to purchase the dehydrator. Just got a juicer.

And we love Ani's book too! My sister just made the coconut cream pie...out of this world!

DoubleCrowned
August 19th, 2011, 08:44 PM
The thing about protein is that the body needs to have all the essential amino acids (the building blocks of protein) present at the same time for the food to be used as protein. Otherwise they will be burned for energy or stored as fat. That is why the diet based on meat became popular--all the amino acids are present. When you get your amino acids from vegetable sources, you have to combine the foods so that you get all the amino acids--like eat legumes with grain so that the two foods complete each other. Once you are aware of the combinations, your raw diet won't leave you hungry.

88Marisa
August 20th, 2011, 02:37 AM
The thing about protein is that the body needs to have all the essential amino acids (the building blocks of protein) present at the same time for the food to be used as protein. Otherwise they will be burned for energy or stored as fat. That is why the diet based on meat became popular--all the amino acids are present. When you get your amino acids from vegetable sources, you have to combine the foods so that you get all the amino acids--like eat legumes with grain so that the two foods complete each other. Once you are aware of the combinations, your raw diet won't leave you hungry.
This is not true, as long as you eat the full range of essential amino acids often (doesn't even have to be the same day!) you will be fine.

DoubleCrowned
August 20th, 2011, 09:27 AM
This is not true, as long as you eat the full range of essential amino acids often (doesn't even have to be the same day!) you will be fine.

Can you direct me to the research that confirms this? I was stating what I learned in three college courses on nutrition.

Canarygirl
August 20th, 2011, 10:45 PM
I remember reading somewhere that recent studies show that amino acids don't need to be combined at the same meal, just present during the course of a day's time or so. I guess it makes sense...if you think of gorillas who have huge amounts of muscle and they eat only raw veggies and fruit all day (at least I think they do).

88Marisa
August 21st, 2011, 01:43 AM
Although protein and amino acid requirements
are conventionally expressed as daily rates (of intake) there is no
implication that these amounts must be consumed each and every
day. Therefore, it is not essential, at least in adults, that daily
intakes of protein, or presumably of each indispensable amino
acid, must equal or exceed the physiological requirement; it is
apparently sufficient for the average intake over a number of days
to achieve this level. This pattern of intake would allow maintenance of an adequate protein nutritional state.

From the May 1994 American Journal of Clinical Nutrition http://www.ajcn.org/content/59/5/1203S.long

lizdini
August 21st, 2011, 04:23 AM
I remember reading somewhere that recent studies show that amino acids don't need to be combined at the same meal, just present during the course of a day's time or so. I guess it makes sense...if you think of gorillas who have huge amounts of muscle and they eat only raw veggies and fruit all day (at least I think they do).

Gorillas (and some other apes/monkeys) eat a mostly veggie/fruit diet, but they do occasionally eat animal flesh as well.

alyanna
August 21st, 2011, 06:46 AM
From the May 1994 American Journal of Clinical Nutrition http://www.ajcn.org/content/59/5/1203S.long

This source is really old! I'm sure there are more recent/up-to-date publications on this topic.

DoubleCrowned
August 21st, 2011, 09:06 AM
"...it is not essential, at least in adults, that daily intakes of protein, or presumably of each indispensable amino acid, must equal or exceed the physiological requirement"

Thank you for the quote. I think the confusion lies in the phrase "presumably of each indispensable amino acid".

Proteins are made up of "essential" and "non-essential" amino acids, the essential ones being those that our bodies cannot make on its own for necessary growth and repair. Some foods (like meat and eggs) have all of the essential amino acids in them, so they are called complete proteins. Other foods (like fruits, vegetables, legumes, and grains) have some amino acids, but not all of them. When a nutritionist speaks of a protein food, he means complete protein: a food which contains all of the essential amino acids in ideal or nearly ideal proportions.

So, in easier to understand language, the quote cited above means "It is not necessary for adults to meet or exceed the exact physiological requirement of protein every day, and by protein, we presume protein that contains all the essential amino acids." Simplified more: Adults do not need to meet exact requirements of complete protein every day. They can get a little less one day, a little more on another.

This cited statement does not mean that adults can live on a diet of incomplete protein. Doing so would cause muscle wasting (and poor hair growth) because the body would have to rob itself to keep essential organs in repair.

Vegetarians can get complete protein by combining foods that are incomplete proteins so that all the essential amino acids are present at the same time. Traditional diets have examples of food combining which creates complete protein: beans and corn, peas and mushrooms, black beans and brown rice, dishes with nuts and so on.

Originally Posted by Canarygirl
"I remember reading somewhere that recent studies show that amino acids don't need to be combined at the same meal, just present during the course of a day's time or so. I guess it makes sense...if you think of gorillas who have huge amounts of muscle and they eat only raw veggies and fruit all day (at least I think they do)."

Eighty (or so) years ago, it was thought that a person could eat toast at breakfast and beans at lunch to make complete protein, but this was later proven to be untrue. I was taught that, if the body does not need it burn as energy, it stores incomplete protein for which it could not find complementary amino acids as fat. New research on this would interest me.

Gorillas, by the way, don't pick the bugs (complete protein) off their food... ;-)

greentealeaf
September 10th, 2011, 12:14 AM
Glad to have found this thread. I made the switch to raw a few weeks ago and have been feeling great. Prior to the change I have been following a vegan diet for almost two years, but not a very healthy one. I have much more energy, no pains from arthritis, clear skin, and have lost some weight. Hoping to really commit to this lifestyle long term.

wooliswonderful
September 10th, 2011, 07:21 AM
I want to incorporate more raw foods into our family meals. Breakfast & lunch are pretty good but for dinner I tend to cook most things. When our 13 yo was little she couldn't stand hot or even warm food. It had to be cold. She's still my best eater for fresh fruits/veggies and drinks more water than the other kids too.

milk
September 12th, 2011, 04:46 PM
The only girl I've ever met who is almost 100% raw actually has the most amazing hair I've seen in real life ever! About tailbone, wavy and supershiny. She's almost 30 but looks not a day older than 21. So she's what made me decide to have one raw week about every other month, have'nt got started yet though :P. Atleast I'm celebrating ten years of being vegetarian next year!

Tomorrow is my first attempt to a raw week. Or actually not a full week, I'm gonna start with just four days, the reason for that is that I am so afraid of loosing weight (I'm reeeally skinny). We'll se how this goes, I'm so excited :cheer:!

BlazingHeart
September 12th, 2011, 06:39 PM
Can you direct me to the research that confirms this? I was stating what I learned in three college courses on nutrition.

That's a relatively old theory - protein combination, that is. From the 1970s, so the article from the '90s that someone else linked to is much more recent. Even Lappe, the guy who came up with the theory, disagrees with it now.

This wiki article includes several useful footnotes - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein_combining

~Blaze

amyhenna
September 12th, 2011, 08:03 PM
I went to a raw food diet a few months ago. Here is my summation:

1. I feel AWESOME!!! I swear I have never felt anywhere close to this good in my entire life. I am 41. I have Multiple Chemical Sensitivities. This chronic condition has been much alleviated by going raw/vegan: I don't know why. I'm just happy and grateful to be feeling so much better.

2. My hair started shedding big time a few weeks ago. I went to the doctor to ask why. He gave me the protein speech (that no vegetables have the amino acids of meat, or something like that. Something with the word amino in it). I love my doctor. LOVE HIM. He's gotten me healthy enough to go back to work. BUT...I don't know if I agree with him on this point. Yes, my hair is shedding. He said I need more protein. Then he drew my blood to prove it. The things is...

3. My blood results came back not showing a protein deficiency. I do have a copper deficiency. He had told me at the appointment that three things can cause hair loss: 1. mineral deficiency 2. protein deficiency 3. thyroid problem. So since I'm showing deficient in copper and not protein, perhaps it's that mineral deficiency that's causing the hair loss. I looked up how to put more copper in my diet. Also, my doctor recommends I take copper supplements (he sells safe, tested supplements)

So. That's what I know. I feel great, my hair is shedding like crazy, but I have a copper deficiency that needs addressing.

So either I'm living off my protein reserves still (do they last 3-5 months?) or the need for animal protein is overstated.

Maktub
September 12th, 2011, 08:29 PM
I eat lots of raw food since I was a child, just love it. I'd say I eat about 60 % raw now. It used to be around 80 %. But it's not by following a diet per se, I could eat more raw... maybe I'll try to increase a little (:

Reading this thread and the debate on amino acids of proteins made me think of the "THREE SISTERS" of an american native community I learned in an anthropology of ecology class ... which were traditionnaly grown together and complement each other for soil fertility, environment sustainability, etc... AND to make a complete protein :)

This has always fascinated me (: So wise !!

"According to Iroquois legend, corn, beans, and squash are three inseparable sisters who only grow and thrive together. This tradition of interplanting corn, beans and squash in the same mounds, widespread among Native American farming societies, is a sophisticated, sustainable system that provided long-term soil fertility and a healthy diet to generations. (...) Corn, beans and squash also complement each other nutritionally. Corn provides carbohydrates, the dried beans are rich in protein, balancing the lack of necessary amino acids found in corn. Finally, squash yields both vitamins from the fruit and healthful, delicious oil from the seeds."

http://www.reneesgarden.com/articles/3sisters.html

Thought I'd share (:

Otherwise, my thought on eating an healthy vegetarian (I'm vegetarian) / vegan / raw diet is DIVERSITY and knowledge.

kitcatsmeow
March 17th, 2012, 02:03 PM
Hey just wanted to post a little update.
After about 8 months of raw food living not only do I feel and look great but so does my hair! And it has never grown faster.

Of course since becoming active on LHC I have taken other steps to protect and pamper my hair but I have to attribute the majority of my hair health and it's faster growth rate to my raw diet.

ladyshep
March 17th, 2012, 04:33 PM
Glad it works for you.

I hate sound negative, but for myself, I went raw and was 100% back in 2005-2006. 4 months into it (and I did everything most of the raw foodies did on the raw food forum) I got so sick I almost died. I was loosing more weight eventually and got down to 90 lbs and my normal weight was 120. (Even after on the raw food forum everyone said that I would gain weight back) It screwed up my thyroid. I also had LOST gobs and gobs of hair! I would go into major episodes of hyperventilation. I had gotten this buzzing sound in my ears, also. It was an awful time for me. Even to this day I have never fully recovered. My hair recovered though! :) I have pretty natural layers in it now from all of the hair I lost.

kitcatsmeow
March 17th, 2012, 04:52 PM
Wow that's CRAZY! That's actually the first time I've heard anyone that's tried raw have an experience like that. Yikes. What did the doctors say was the cause?

Bedhead
March 17th, 2012, 07:16 PM
I'm a raw omnivore foodist, although only about 75% in the winter (it gets cold up here) and about 90-95% in the warmer months. I prefer to juice my greens, other than salad type greens, and eat lots of fruit, but unlike vegan raw foodists, I eat raw egg yolks, raw fish, raw cheeses, kefir, and raw beef on very rare occasions (I make sure I know where it comes from and squeeze lime juice on it, which technically cooks it without heat). Sprouting makes me happy! :)

ETA: Oh! forgot about the hair aspect! I find my hair is healthier all around, and stronger.

Bedhead
March 17th, 2012, 07:23 PM

Pay attention to this. I know when I started, I was shocked to discover, that like other animals, we too have shedding seasons, and I'd say it's about that time. :)

Bedhead
March 17th, 2012, 07:38 PM
I think cooking food destroys too many enzymes and vitamins to be the preferred method of food preparation, the exception being tea because the heat of the water is needed to extract the goodness from the herbs.

I went all raw for a few months several years ago, but couldn't keep it up because I didn't know:

1. Where to put all the jars of sprouting beans and grains (very little room around sink); and learning the rinsing schedules for them
In the stove! Sprouting actually does better away from the light, until the leaves come out, but by that point, it's time for them to go to the fridge.Just make sure you don't make more than you're going to eat i.e. be realistic.

2. How to rearrange kitchen--huge stove, little storage, in apartment where permanent changes are forbidden
See number 1. ;-)

3. What utensils and appliances I needed to make the recipes
-a cutting board
-a knife
-juicer (optional) I bought a manual one (Hurricane) I love, and it's easier to clean than the large electric ones, it jusy doesn't juice fruits by themselves very well (technically it's a wheat grass juicer, but it works well on veggies too).
-dehydrator(optional) I don't have one, and I've done fine.

4. What ingredients needed for the recipes--and ability to find them. I could have used a basic shopping list so I could actually start making balanced meals rather than just eliminating cooked food.
I found using a program called "Cron-O-meter" helpful with this http://cronometer.com/. It allowed me to enter what I was eating, allowing me to see if I was getting my nutrient needs or not. Eventually, making balanced meals became more instinctual. But then, I tend to graze all day long and not have three big meals.

Joliebaby
March 18th, 2012, 04:30 AM
I'm another for whom it didn't work. I do have Crohn's disease and it was aggravated. I got diarrhea and stomach cramps and whatnot. I also got sick from eating so many fruit, my blood sugar went up and down like crazy. The first couple of weeks I felt great and was excited at first.. I thought it was going to be the answer for all my health problems hehe.

We do eat a lot of fresh fruits and raw veggies, and when I make smoothies I put raw eggs in them, but raw foodism was a fad that was not for me. Oh, and it was pretty tiresome trying to make dehydrated breads and raw muesli and and I felt like I was constantly in the kitchen. Not to mention feeding a toddler properly at the same time..

Of the Fae
March 18th, 2012, 04:58 AM
I eat my veggies raw. As much as possible. Spinach, paprika, tomatoes, anything. I also make raw fruit smoothies a lot, combined with veggies and herbs, and it is really cleansing and feels great for the inside of the body!

My hair grows fast, but I'm not sure if it's because of this. Maybe it is:) But I wouldn't know because my parents practically raised me this way. Anyhow I can recommend as many raw foods as possible to anyone! It's always healthy. There's this documentary about raw foodism.. *searches* let's see....

well, this is their website:

http://www.foodmatters.tv/

and here you can watch another documentary about treatment of illness with certain natural diets:

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/beautiful-truth/

Although I am not sure about that being true, I find it interesting to research such things!

:) It was worth it for me!

ladyshep
March 18th, 2012, 06:27 PM
Wow that's CRAZY! That's actually the first time I've heard anyone that's tried raw have an experience like that. Yikes. What did the doctors say was the cause?

Yeah. I never understood it either of why this happened to me and other people not. The doctors obviously called it anorexia even though I was eating (like the raw foodies, fruit, veggies, nuts seeds ect...) and told me to go eat normally again. So I did and it took me 1 1/2 years to gain all of my weight back. It took me 5 years to feel almost normal again.

I am glad that it works for some people because some folks' health springs up.

Bedhead
March 19th, 2012, 07:23 AM
Yeah. I never understood it either of why this happened to me and other people not. The doctors obviously called it anorexia even though I was eating (like the raw foodies, fruit, veggies, nuts seeds ect...) and told me to go eat normally again. So I did and it took me 1 1/2 years to gain all of my weight back. It took me 5 years to feel almost normal again.

I am glad that it works for some people because some folks' health springs up.

I'm so sorry this happened to you, and thank you for sharing what happened with us. Hopefully it will help people realise that regardless of what everyone else is doing on a diet, it's important to listen to our bodies and what we need. Not feeling like I was getting enough, despite my energy level, is why I'm not vegan, and why I'm not 100% raw.

Annalouise
March 19th, 2012, 09:18 AM
I was raw vegan for 20 days and I quit. I felt tired and lethargic. I got depressed. I started to menstrate (bleed) on a daily basis. I was sleeping waayyy to much. And my chronic back pain returned.

And I started to crave fish and eggs and dairy, things I never craved as a regular cooked food vegan. So I started eating caesar salad with anchovies like it was medicine. Until the eggs caught up with me...:p

Now I'm back to regular vegan (occaisionally vegetarian). :)

*Seraphina*
March 20th, 2012, 02:11 AM
I will give this a try! Read a lot of good stuff about this.
I have some questions and I hope someone could help :)

Is it a good plan to eat during the week only rawfood and in the weekends 'normal' ?
Or is it better to eat 75% raw every day?

Thank you.

Bedhead
March 20th, 2012, 06:29 AM
I will give this a try! Read a lot of good stuff about this.
I have some questions and I hope someone could help :)

Is it a good plan to eat during the week only rawfood and in the weekends 'normal' ?
Or is it better to eat 75% raw every day?

Thank you.

Balance is key, so I'd say, first don't go 75% hardcore, build up to 75% *slowly*. As far as the 'normal' on the weekend is concerned, you'll have to listen to your body and see what it says i.e. see how you feel when you do this.

*Seraphina*
March 20th, 2012, 08:20 AM
Thank you bedhead :)