PDA

View Full Version : Headband headaches

toodramatik
June 27th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Hey all!

I used to pull my hair back in a ponytail all the time, and then i went through my down phase. Now I'm back to putting it up in a ponytail, along with a headband to hold up my bangs. But the thing is, I get such a headache from the headband. It never happened before but now it hurts like crazy.

Does anyone know how to atleast ease these headaches?

EDIT: I should have mentioned- I use the fabric headbands.

Riot Crrl
June 27th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Buy a bigger headband. Or, sometimes you can bend it out with your hands.

Edit: I assume you mean the "stiff" C-shaped kind. If it's fabric, it might always be too small. And if it's plastic instead of metal it might not work.

toodramatik
June 27th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Buy a bigger headband. Or, sometimes you can bend it out with your hands.

Edit: I assume you mean the "stiff" C-shaped kind. If it's fabric, it might always be too small. And if it's plastic instead of metal it might not work.

Oops, sorry, I should have clarified. I mean the fabric ones that are just like.. a circle.

Riot Crrl
June 27th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Oh, I thought of something else too. My annoyance from this actually takes two different forms, even if it's only cloth.

1. It's still too tight which causes more of an "internal" type of headache.
2. It is just bending the hairs weird on my scalp causing more of a "surface" pain.

or possibly

3. Both of the above.

If it's only number 1, it is probably too tight. If it's number 2, I find it helps to try to somehow comb the hair that it will be covering back in a more consistent, parallel manner, instead of letting it bunch up however.

toodramatik
June 27th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Thank you. I actually think it's number 2, because the hairs lie so flat after words and when i try to put my bangs back down it hurts.

redcelticcurls
June 27th, 2008, 10:41 PM
I'm the owner of a melon head and have to watch for this. I have a thing for headbands by "This is J". They aren't cheap, but they seem to be big enough and elastic enough. With my hair out of the way, I have a 24" head circumference, so if they are big enough for me, they should be big enough for most women.

The last couple of generic I bought at Ulta were just waaay to tight and I gave them to a friend.

I don't do the c shaped ones. Ouch

You may just have to look for a larger sized one since they don't seem to be standard.

tomm
June 28th, 2008, 05:34 AM
If you are willing to try a c-shaped headband, I can enthusiastically recommend the No Headache (http://www.amazon.com/Vidal-Sassoon-VS14434-Headache-Headbands/dp/B0002YE8WA) headband by Vidal Sassoon. I have worn one all day without any discomfort - and many times I forget I have one on. It is more than a little jarring to start shampooing one's hair and run into a piece of hard plastic :lol:

Those "This is J" headbands do look comfortable, RCC, but I don't see me wearing those prints. Now if J offered a solid ...

redcelticcurls
June 28th, 2008, 10:36 AM
If you are willing to try a c-shaped headband, I can enthusiastically recommend the No Headache (http://www.amazon.com/Vidal-Sassoon-VS14434-Headache-Headbands/dp/B0002YE8WA) headband by Vidal Sassoon. I have worn one all day without any discomfort - and many times I forget I have one on. It is more than a little jarring to start shampooing one's hair and run into a piece of hard plastic :lol:

Those "This is J" headbands do look comfortable, RCC, but I don't see me wearing those prints. Now if J offered a solid ...

Yes, they are a bit, er, girly.

They have two solid prints at CurlMart, black corn and brown corn. Subtle prints but looks like just a solid from about 2 feet away.

It's amazing that there is a decent c-shaped one out there. It could be worth a look!

jojo
June 28th, 2008, 07:51 PM
I get terrible headaches from hair bands too and redcelticcurls im not talking melon sized head, im more a pumpkin! cloth ones are better or I normally just do a french braid and stop when I get to just past my crown as a half up or you could make a real headband from your hair, just english braid 2 sections from behind your ears and bring them over your head and booby clip them.

wintersun99
June 28th, 2008, 07:54 PM

andrea1982
June 28th, 2008, 11:47 PM
I have a big head, and I can't seem to wear plastic headbands or sunglasses without getting a killer headache. Cloth headbands work fine for me!

FrannyG
June 29th, 2008, 06:25 AM
I've had some very thin headbands that are specifically designed for comfort and I am sorry to say that I haven't had any success. It's always only a matter of time before I feel some discomfort or pain. The only headband that I can wear is a folded bandanna.