PDA

View Full Version : Right side of parting seems to be.... less

defineinsanity
August 16th, 2011, 02:07 PM
I have noticed that when i part my hair directly down the centre that the right side has alot less hair than the left, it's nearly half the circumference which is rather annoying. I think it has something to do with the fact i used to part my hair on the right side and heard somewhere that frequent parting in one place can thin out the hair? and as i look yes the hair around that side of my scalp is definitely thinner.
Anything i can do to thicken out the right side?
...any help will be greatly appreciated :) as usual

spidermom
August 16th, 2011, 02:23 PM
A portion of this may be natural. My hair is thicker on the right than the left. I've been moving my part around or not parting my hair at all for around 40 years, so I know the presence or absence of a part plays no part in thickness/lack of thickness in my hair.

Madora
August 16th, 2011, 02:28 PM
A portion of this may be natural. My hair is thicker on the right than the left. I've been moving my part around or not parting my hair at all for around 40 years, so I know the presence or absence of a part plays no part in thickness/lack of thickness in my hair.

I agree with you, Spidermom! Although I haven't worn parts for decades, when I did, I always noticed the hair on my right hand side was less abundant than the hair on the left side. Even now, and with some thinning due to illness and stuff, the hair on the right hand side is thinner than the hair on the left.

BeckyAH
August 16th, 2011, 02:34 PM

Thirding this. My part moves around (or I move it around) a lot, and the hair on my right side has always been thicker than the left. Not enormously, but there's a definite difference.

YepLilly
August 16th, 2011, 02:45 PM
I don't have an answer to this, but I part my hair on the left and my hairline is thinner on the right side. Go figure! :shrug: My guess is that there's a correlation in some cases but not in all. Tricky situation.

terpentyna
August 16th, 2011, 02:49 PM
I also have this, on the right as well.

swearnsue
August 16th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Just a thought, sleeping on one side more than the other might break off some hair during the night?

lapushka
August 16th, 2011, 02:54 PM
My hair's thinner on the right than on the left, always has been, as far as I can remember. I also agree that it has nothing to do with how you part your hair, or on what side you sleep even. Some people just have this, others don't. I don't think there's anything you can do, really. Maybe... (just guessing) the follicle distribution's uneven in some people. :shrug:

strangemeow
August 16th, 2011, 02:58 PM
This is true for me too. I always sleep on my right side though, so it could have something to do with friction on that side of my head every night.

katienoonan
August 16th, 2011, 03:00 PM
The hair on the right of my parting is thinner too, and grows a little slower... After a year of growth the left side is always an inch longer so I have to trim it... does anyone else have this issue?

happybear
August 16th, 2011, 03:26 PM
This is the case with me, but mine is not natural, it is the result of parting my hair in the same spot for ten years, coupled with daily aggressive heat styling that has caused the thinness. I have a small area on my forehead at the hairline that is bald from this too.

My hairdresser alerted me to the issue and advised that I leave my hair alone for a year. Traction alopecia over a long period can cause the follicles to die, if you part your hair in the same place for a long period of time, and aggressively style it (pull it straight with round brushes, use heat etc.) it can result in thinning hair in the area.

I have noticed an inprovement since I started to leave my hair alone, and since starting castor oil treatments. Baby hairs have sprouted on my old part line and there is some peach fuzz on my little bald spot (though I don't expect it to fill in because it looks like the follicles died).

QMacrocarpa
August 16th, 2011, 03:29 PM
The hair on the right of my parting is thinner too, and grows a little slower... After a year of growth the left side is always an inch longer so I have to trim it... does anyone else have this issue?
Hmm, I don't know if I still have this, but I definitely seemed to have uneven growth when I was in high school. I recall my late grandfather teasing me that I must be topdressing one side with compost to make it grow so much longer. :p My vague suspicion is that I might have been brushing more on one side, causing extra breakage on that side. I had loads of splits and I got a lot of short pieces breaking off.

Impulsive
August 17th, 2011, 08:53 PM
I also have less hair on my right side. I've always thought it's because I sleep on my right side, but most of the missing hair occurs around my temple. Does the lessening of your hair occur all along the length of where the part used to be or is it just in one specific place on the right side?

MemoryXIII
August 17th, 2011, 10:14 PM
Well... Now that you say this, I'm going to check mine in the morning lol.

Rusticular
August 17th, 2011, 11:06 PM
.. Hair is thinner on everyone's right side. IT'S A CONSPIRACY. o_o
Upon further inspection, mine's roughly the same on either side. Thanks to this thread, I'm gonna be wandering around asking everyone what side of their hair's thinnest. Y'know, just to make sure..

headtrip_honey
August 18th, 2011, 06:17 AM
I part my hair on the left, but my right side has always been a little thinner.

I mean, when it's parted, it doesn't look it, because there's more hair going in that direction, but when I pull it straight back you can tell the right side of my head has follicles more sparsely dispersed! Also my hairline is higher on the right side.

It's genetic, in my case - my mom is the exact same way. I inherited her wonky part that crookedly tries to go down the back of my head, I inherited the odd waves/curls on the back of my head, and I got her high hairline. THANKS Mom. :)

CarpeDM
August 18th, 2011, 06:49 AM
I have one parted side that is thinner than the other too, you are not alone :)

Shany
August 19th, 2011, 09:23 PM
My hair is thicker on the right than on the left. I part my hair on the right (diagonal parting) and I sleep on my back or on the right side. I think there is no correlation in my case.

McFearless
August 19th, 2011, 10:10 PM
Its normal to have one thicker half naturally. Has it always been this way?

McFearless
August 19th, 2011, 10:12 PM
This is the case with me, but mine is not natural, it is the result of parting my hair in the same spot for ten years, coupled with daily aggressive heat styling that has caused the thinness. I have a small area on my forehead at the hairline that is bald from this too.

My hairdresser alerted me to the issue and advised that I leave my hair alone for a year. Traction alopecia over a long period can cause the follicles to die, if you part your hair in the same place for a long period of time, and aggressively style it (pull it straight with round brushes, use heat etc.) it can result in thinning hair in the area.

I have noticed an inprovement since I started to leave my hair alone, and since starting castor oil treatments. Baby hairs have sprouted on my old part line and there is some peach fuzz on my little bald spot (though I don't expect it to fill in because it looks like the follicles died).

Same here. I was told that high heat causes scar tissue to form in the follicles and theres nothing that can reverse that. :(