PDA

View Full Version : Odd breakage?

BeckyAH
August 16th, 2011, 11:29 AM
For as long as I can remember I have this section of hair, right at the back of my neck that breaks if my hair is longer than about chin length.

It's the very bottom layer of hair, not the canopy. It's also (I don't think coincidentally) the curliest bit of my hair. I have no idea what I'm doing to it. It's not part of my hair that is bleached/dyed (that's front/bangs, and very ends at the top), I don't heat style, and my pony-tails/etc are placed either much lower or much higher, depending on what I'm doing.

Thoughts, anyone? It's never really bothered me much, since it's underneath and hidden (and long enough to go up/into styles I do), but it completely confuses me. How does hair there get broken off to begin with?

YepLilly
August 16th, 2011, 11:41 AM
I'm a newbie here but I want to make a wild guess :o Maybe because it's in the back of your neck moisturizing/protein treatments don't reach that area so well, and thus the weakness and breakage?

Siiri
August 16th, 2011, 11:41 AM
Maybe it's rubbing against your clothes, like the collar of your jacket? If it's that, I'd recommend keeping it up a lot.

NightOwl26
August 16th, 2011, 11:48 AM
I have that same problem too. I guessed on me it was when I was blowdrying my hair and rough with the round brush under there.

I do notice those hairs get caught in my necklaces sometimes.

If there is no mechanical damage you know of, maybe they're just those baby shorter hairs similar to the ones around the forehead hairline.

BeckyAH
August 16th, 2011, 11:54 AM
Rubbing against my clothes/collars and possibly necklaces make the most sense to me, I think. Keeping it up a lot certainly won't hurt and may help. It was just striking me as so danged *ODD* as a place to have my hair breaking off ;-) You are all brilliant, and THANK YOU.