PDA

View Full Version : Chop!

CaraLynn
March 13th, 2008, 04:53 PM
I went to my mom's hair stylist yesterday to have her trim off my split ends....she was fixing it and I wasn't really paying attention...(stupid, stupid, me) and when I looked at it there was SIX INCHES gone!!! I did NOT have splits that high! She cut of all my hair up to where my layer was instead of just the splits. I am irritated...........and LESS than thrilled with my new length :mad:

Blueglass
March 13th, 2008, 05:01 PM
you have to be very vocal with hair dressers especially new ones. Still it is hard to tell when they are behide you. Have you considered the feber method. Happily spring and summer are often time of grow spurts.

Ellswyth
March 13th, 2008, 05:05 PM
so sorry!! And hair doesn't grow back fast enough after being scalped like that

sweetkandi
March 13th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Im sorry about that. I hope your hair will grow fast during the warmer months.

FrannyG
March 13th, 2008, 05:10 PM
I'm so sorry this happened. There are so many wonderful hairdressers who are really good with long hair. It really pays to do some investigating.

Having said that, it wouldn't hurt to learn Feye's Self-Trim Method (http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim). I have used it for two years now, both for a big cut and for 1/2 inch trims. I never would have believed I could cut my own hair, but I do.

Anyway, many hugs to you, and I hope that your hair grows really quickly. :grouphug:

CurlyNinja
March 13th, 2008, 05:25 PM
I'm sorry :(

Islandgrrl
March 13th, 2008, 05:28 PM
CaraLynn - I'm so sorry this happened to you! I agree you should consider learning to do your own trims. It's really the only way you have total control over what's happening to your hair.

SaveTheTapirs
March 13th, 2008, 05:33 PM
I keep hearing these stylist horror stories! What is with these people? I know that supposedly there are good ones out there, but jeez...I'm kind of losing faith in stylists in general. Luckily I don't seem to have any splits since cutting off my damaged hair a couple years ago and learning how to take care of it (compliments LHC). So hopefully I won't need a trim for quite a while, and when I do I just might look into the self-trimming method I've heard so much about.

Don't blame yourself CaraLynn, we've all had hair mishaps, accidents, and even tragedies. But don't give up! Consider it a new challenge to get excited about and conquer!

Elfling
March 13th, 2008, 06:02 PM
*sympathy* We have ALL been there. I did that a few years ago and am still kicking myself.

Poolsoflaughter
March 13th, 2008, 06:04 PM
That's horrible. All I can say is I'm sorry, hon. :(

Stagecoach
March 13th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Oh dear, how terrible. I'm so sorry.... [[[[ hug ]]]]

Lixie
March 13th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Ugh, how horrible for you. :grouphug: Even if you didn't complain at the time, it's not too late to call up say that you were less than satisfied with the results if you want to.

UrbanEast
March 13th, 2008, 06:12 PM
(((hugs)))) That happened to me a few times in a row a few years ago. Now, after I tell them how much to take off (e.g. 1/2 inch), I ask them to show me beforehand (using a piece of my hair) how much that will be. They roll their eyes and I'm sure they laugh at me afterwards, but it doesn't matter to me.

I guess the silver lining is that any damage at the bottom of your hair is gone, so that you can start fresh. (((hugs again)))

chloeishere
March 13th, 2008, 06:15 PM
That's terrible!

Did you discuss your displeasure with the haircut at the time? Even if they can't do anything for you, at the very least you can let them know to listen better, as I'm sure you didn't say "cut it all off to the top layer." Not all hairdressers are bad with long hair, but maybe if they were told more often what is meant by "trim," sad stories like this would happen less often. I would definitely call up there at least, and let someone know that you weren't happy, so the hairdresser can be made aware.

Anyway, I'm so sorry about the big length loss, and I hope it grows back quickly for you!

spidermom
March 13th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Oh no! 6 inches is quite a lot! Here's wishing you one of those so-fast-I-can't-believe-it growth spurts.

Perhaps you said something about wanting to be rid of those layers? Maybe? I had that happen once. After I asked for a 1/2-inch trim, I started babbling away about how I decided I didn't want layers anymore, and she took off about 2 inches to help me get rid of layers.

Neon Gloss
March 13th, 2008, 06:18 PM
WHAT?! 6 inches! You poor thing! ;(

killashark
March 13th, 2008, 06:26 PM
oh i've had the same thing happen to me too! Ugh it just frustrates me so much. That's why I'd rather wait really long for my usual stylist, than to trust someone who's never touched my hair before. My regular has been cutting my hair since I was 6!

Crinita
March 13th, 2008, 06:38 PM
I am the luckiest longhair in the world because my stylist knows what a ruler looks like and checks with me beforehand and during to make sure we're on the same page. I'm sorry you weren't so fortunate, hon.

Pax,
Crinita

CaraLynn
March 13th, 2008, 07:43 PM
No, I didn't mention my layers.....she must just be a little scissor happy!

honeybunch
March 13th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Oh no! I"m sorry!!!

k_hepburn
March 14th, 2008, 03:45 AM
So sorry for what happened - it will take time but your hair will grow back!

I do wonder what goes on in the head of a hairdresser like that (and off course they aren't all like that, and you get people like that in any profession, only being scissor happy is a tad more dangerous in a surgeon...). I mean: 6 inches, that's a lot of hair. Whatever posessed her to think that it would be ok for her to give you a major change in appearance without consulting you? Like all the hair below shoulder is really just superfluous and therefore may be chopped of at (her) will and choosing?

The downside of being aware of the possibility of such an attitude is that as a long hair I nowadays feel the need to give hair dressers a list of instructions as long (at least) as my hair before I let them touch it and I do wonder if I might be coming across as a little hostile :evil: , which in turn doesn't exactly help in building a trusting relationship with a hairdresser...

Greetings

katharine

Isilme
March 14th, 2008, 04:15 AM
When you go in for a trim you have to be very specific about EVERYTHING, from combing to how much they should take off to what products you want, or if you want them to flatiron it/blowdry or not. Everything you can think of. Before you go to the stylist, take your time to write down everything in case you forget to say something.
I'm sorry you bad luck with your stylist, but I would think it's important to call back and tell that you aren't happy and why, maybe you can get some of the money back? Or at least make the haircuts safer for other persons.

AprilElf
March 14th, 2008, 04:27 AM
That is so scary! I'm sorry this happened to you. :(
It's not fair that you couldn't see what she was doing!

stepha
March 19th, 2008, 01:29 PM
You poor thing!
I know exactly how you feel - a girl did the same thing to me 3 weeks ago. It's heartbreaking. I lost 5 inches, and after telling her not cut more than 1/2 inch! hairdresser/client rapport went out the window. She didn't follow my instructions so she didn't get paid. Perhaps if enough of these scalpers get called on it they'll quit ignoring their clients.

You may not want to try it but I'm seeing growth with monistat, tea tree oil, coconut oil, megavitamins and nearly continuous scalp massages. I'd like to add nutral henna for conditioning/strength but haven't any.

dagonlilly
March 19th, 2008, 07:12 PM
I hope you didnt pay for the cut. I have not trusted a hair stylest in 2 years.

addikted
March 19th, 2008, 07:22 PM
6 inches is A LOT!, I hope you told her how dissatisfied you were, a lot of hairstylists are ver scussor happy. That is why I am afraid to go to one. I shall be sending you many a 'speedy hair growth' wish.

HairColoredHair
March 19th, 2008, 07:29 PM
It's happened to me... 'trim the ends' 6 inches later...

I started telling people my hair screams when it's cut.

Wanderer09
March 19th, 2008, 07:40 PM
6 inches? That's like a year's worth of growth. :(

I haven't had such stylist mishaps yet, partly because I wasn't aiming to grow my hair really long so I didn't care if they took off an extra inch. I'm kind of nervous about my next trim.

tiny_teesha
March 19th, 2008, 07:55 PM
try barbers, they apparently listen to you when you say 1/8inch trim.
My mother or I chops my hair. i went to a hairdresser once for a chop- DID NOT LIKE (there is the photo in my album hair history)
I do feyes method too. It is so easy and i don't even care if it asymmetrical (as i don't fuss about it) So long as it is not INCHES off, i'm happy :)

psvzum
March 19th, 2008, 08:08 PM
You poor thing!!! The hairdresser should get an earful....

Elfling
March 19th, 2008, 08:13 PM
The last time I had a hairdresser blatantly take more than the half-inch I requested, I refused to pay. This wasn't an inch when I wanted a half-inch; this was six inches and going from bsl to just below shoulders. I was livid.

I have *one* very trusted hairdresser in the area that I've been going to for a while, who does lovely chemical color jobs. of course I'm giving that up, but she's the only one I've ever met who will do exactly what I want, and also say eh, you don't need a trim this time your ends look good.

CaityBear
March 19th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Oh my, that's horrible! The last time I went to get my hair cut I had no choice to who I was going to. We have one official hair dresser in my town, some people who do it at home, but I really needed to get rid of my split ends before they got really bad so I went to this hair dresser to get my hair trimmed. Sadly I lost more then I wanted.

pookatrina
March 19th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Oh no! Sending quick hair growing thoughts your way!

MadPirateBippy
March 20th, 2008, 01:07 AM
*hugs*

She could have thought the splits went up to the layer, which is why it was thinner...

Don't feel too bad, it was only six inches, so if your hair grows an average amount, you've got about a year to get it all back and now your hemline is even with the layer, at least. Bright side, right?

enfys
March 20th, 2008, 02:10 AM
I second that, think of how lovely and thick your hemline must be!

This is why I've never gone to a hairdresser. I've even considered training in it as a profession just so people who came to me would not have these stories to tell.

With all the help and tips on here I'm sure it will grow back quicker than before, and healthier.

(((hugs)))

Kelsey
March 20th, 2008, 10:29 AM
My condolences! I would be way beyond furious. Don't go back to her! I think it is probably necessary to insist that they let you see everything that they are doing, and make it clear you are in charge. To be a hair dresser, it is necessary for them to focus on the phrase "The customer is always right," and they should not dare to cross anybody.

Ohio Sky
March 20th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Did you smack her!? :shake:

maybe I would have overreacted, though...

Maybe it will be good for your hair, though. Sometimes a decent trim makes hair healthier and stronger. Just trying to look on the bright side... Sorry dear :(:flower: