PDA

View Full Version : WOing and ends are still dry?

Amber_Maiden
August 16th, 2011, 09:32 AM
2nd week of WOing and my ends are still dry... Oily on top, hair is flattish... But ends are dry. I've been trying to comb the oil through, and find that the oil goes through stages, one day it will be bad, the next fine... I don't want to oil too much because my hair doesn't seem to like it, just its own sebum... Any ideas? :confused:

Anje
August 16th, 2011, 10:31 AM
I'm sorry to say that this is why I gave up on WO. I stuck with it for about 8 months, but the sebum that made it to my ends just wasn't enough.

Massaging your scalp, then rubbing your oily fingers on your ends can help a little. So can oiling your ends directly with something like olive oil. But ultimately, if you need conditioner to keep your ends happy and can't manage it with oil, WO tends to be sub-optimal for ends. (On the other hand, hair changes with time and treatment. Mine gets much better-moisturized with oils than it did a few years back. It's possible that I could make it work if I tried it again.)

Amber_Maiden
August 16th, 2011, 10:38 AM
I'm sorry to say that this is why I gave up on WO. I stuck with it for about 8 months, but the sebum that made it to my ends just wasn't enough.

Massaging your scalp, then rubbing your oily fingers on your ends can help a little. So can oiling your ends directly with something like olive oil. But ultimately, if you need conditioner to keep your ends happy and can't manage it with oil, WO tends to be sub-optimal for ends. (On the other hand, hair changes with time and treatment. Mine gets much better-moisturized with oils than it did a few years back. It's possible that I could make it work if I tried it again.)

Maybe you should trying oiling.... I'm really quite done with COing... I had the same problem with dry ends, except it was worse... Which is weird.

Anje
August 16th, 2011, 11:16 AM
That is weird. I tend to think that buildup or something else weird is going on if ends get dry with CO. But it's decidedly not the routine for everyone.

Amber_Maiden
August 16th, 2011, 12:39 PM
That is weird. I tend to think that buildup or something else weird is going on if ends get dry with CO. But it's decidedly not the routine for everyone.

That's what I thought, but I did clarifying treatments and nothing worked.

Anje
August 16th, 2011, 02:15 PM
Protein in the conditioner maybe?

spidermom
August 16th, 2011, 02:28 PM
Lift your ends up and rub them against the scalp area when the hair there feels oily.

Copasetic
August 16th, 2011, 02:50 PM
It makes total sense that your ends would be dry. You might be avoiding drying your hair out with sulfates, but if you are WO you aren't infusing any additional moisture into your hair. Your hair is probably too long for sebum to make its way to the tips of your hair.

You can try oiling like others have suggested. You might also want to consider a small trim. If the ends are chronically dry it might be because of damage.

Amber_Maiden
August 17th, 2011, 08:47 AM
It makes total sense that your ends would be dry. You might be avoiding drying your hair out with sulfates, but if you are WO you aren't infusing any additional moisture into your hair. Your hair is probably too long for sebum to make its way to the tips of your hair.

You can try oiling like others have suggested. You might also want to consider a small trim. If the ends are chronically dry it might be because of damage.

I trim almost every month, so it can't be that... :(

pelicano
August 17th, 2011, 03:00 PM
My hair is only shoulder length, but WO did nothing for my ends. In fact, they got more and more dry, so I stopped. I think in my case there was loads of hard water build up, plus the sebum didn't stretch down very far.

spidermom
August 17th, 2011, 03:12 PM
My hair stylist tells me that shampoos and conditioners have ingredients that help get more moisture into your hair, and judging by the fact that my ends are much drier just before I wash my hair than they are the day after I wash my hair, I believe her.