PDA

View Full Version : not measuring on purpose, am I the only one?

archel
August 16th, 2011, 08:27 AM
I have thought about measuring my hair and then I realize if I start down that path, I'm going to get obsessive. So, I haven't measured the length or the circumference. I'm just taking good care of it and it can grow however fast it wants to or however thick it wants to. I'm using the castor oil to help it along, but I will let what I see tell me what's going on with my hair rather than numbers (sort of like how I almost never weigh myself and go by how I feel in my clothes).

Ligeia_13
August 16th, 2011, 08:37 AM
I don't measure either. I take progress pictures. Which are also very addictive so it doesn't really matter which. Pick your poison! :D

Alaia
August 16th, 2011, 08:39 AM
I have to tell myself not to measure every week, every day even.

I get DH to hide the measuring tape :lol:

It's probably more healthy to just avoid doing it altogether like you are doing, as really it becomes an obsession / addiction.

gabee
August 16th, 2011, 08:42 AM
I totally agree with you, I'd rather judge my hair by how it looks or feel, rather than the number of inches its grown. I think seeing such a slow growth rate on a measuring tape would be too depressing. I've enjoyed seeing how my hair has changed over the past few weeks, as its growing past my shoulders, my waves are starting to creep up! I get depressed when I see how little my roots have grown since my last henna a month ago (only 0.5" :( ), but looking at the overall package does make me happy.

But I did enjoy measuring my circumference however (just the one time!) because I surprisingly realized that my hair is actually a ii and not a ii (2.5")!! I always thought my hair was too thin and fine to grow long, because thats what people always told me, but it turns out my thickness is average! Yayyy :cheese:

Aeltt
August 16th, 2011, 08:43 AM
Yes ! Well, first because i'm lazy, but also because i don't want to become obsessive.
I'm sure counting shed hair leads to obsession too.
I only take a picture of the back of my head when i think my hair has grown..

(off topic, but I don't have a facebook account for this reason too..)

Vlientje
August 16th, 2011, 08:44 AM
I don't measure it just because I don't feel like it xD First time I did that was to put it on here xD But yeah, I just tend to look at last year's pictures and be like: "oh hey it's a bit longer"

But maybe this is just because me hair almost stopped growing, I wouldn't notice much progress if I'd measure it.. Would kinda suck.

Copasetic
August 16th, 2011, 08:53 AM
I have been doing the same thing lately. I used to measure quite a bit, but since I discovered that measuring myself isn't always accurate, I stopped. I know my hair is growing since I can see it. The number is too easy to obsess over.

vanillabones
August 16th, 2011, 09:19 AM
I don't measure my hair either. I will measure my ponytail once I no longer have layers and all of my hair is long enough to put into one. I want to be a 'ii' thickness someday.
I would also like to know how long each of my milestones are on my body but I'd need help doing that. I like just eyeballing the lengths by bodyparts but I would like to know the measurements for APL, BSL, Waist, etc.

sun-kissed
August 16th, 2011, 09:26 AM
I only masure every few months or so, for just that reason. And being that right now I am dusting monthly (to try to get rid of my horrid splits and get out of a 3-year stall), I wouldn't see much growth anyways. So instead I measure my progress by the condition of my hair, and how long I can go without washing it, instead of my length; because whenever I think about how little it's grown in the past three years, it depresses me.

spidermom
August 16th, 2011, 09:49 AM
Measuring tapes lie, so I don't measure either.

AlexiaBlue
August 16th, 2011, 10:09 AM
I've only measured 3 or so times, and I swear, each time I measured, I got a different number. Obviously, I was measuring wrong, so I said 'to heck with it'! I am going to track growth based on major milestones - APL, BSL etc.

Celtic Morla
August 16th, 2011, 10:40 AM
The only time I have ever measured my hair was to put it on here. I am more concerned with health of my hair than the length.

Funny thing is my clients all remark on how long it's gettign and when i tell them i am no longer cutting it(except a bit hrere and there my self) they are very supportive! And the longer it gets th emore blond it seems to become(renegrey be I) and my DH loves it long so I have no issues there. I am tired of salon stylists wanting to dye it or chop it alll off, so now I am going to do what I want to do since I like it long I am keeping it long! Can't wait til someone akss me to donate it.....

Lollipop
August 16th, 2011, 03:07 PM
Since my hair is pretty curly, measuring can get tricky, and it's difficult to get a consistent measure. I do measure the milestones (APL is 24', BSL is 27', etc.) and I use those numbers to estimate when I will reach goals, but otherwise I stretch my curls to see where they reach.

Roseate
August 16th, 2011, 03:12 PM
I measured for a few months when I first got here, just to get a good idea of my growth rate; then I quit. I take the occasional progress picture, that's enough to let me know it's not getting any shorter!

MonikaHa
August 16th, 2011, 03:47 PM
I've never measured, I know that if I do I will be sucked into doing it every day :) I take progress pictures though.

Velvet Dreamer
August 16th, 2011, 03:50 PM
I've measured my hair once since I cut it, and I probably won't again. I know I can get obsessive about these types of things, haha. Mostly, I just go by how long it looks to me. My hair shrinks like crazy, so I kind of have to.

katienoonan
August 16th, 2011, 03:50 PM
I won't be measuring for a while... I have too many depressing broken layers to grow out...! In the meantime i've posted some old crazy hairstyle pictures to poke fun at myself for... keep swooning over all the beautiful hair on here!

jeanniet
August 16th, 2011, 04:02 PM
I never measure length, although I did measure the circumference a couple of times--and of course I got two different measurements, because you can squish your hair quite a bit! I take progress pics, but I try not to take them on a regular schedule or anything. Just when it feels like I've gotten some good growth. I'm much too obsessive to get into the measuring habit. :D

Toiréasa
August 16th, 2011, 04:06 PM
I've only measured 3 or so times, and I swear, each time I measured, I got a different number. Obviously, I was measuring wrong, so I said 'to heck with it'! I am going to track growth based on major milestones - APL, BSL etc.

This,it was getting me upset that each time I got a different reading so I gave up!

QMacrocarpa
August 16th, 2011, 04:07 PM
I probably measure once a month or so, but not all that precisely. My hair has enough frizz factor that I'm never going to get something exact, but I like seeing that the number is moving in the hoped-for direction. I get more excited when I discover that I can do a previously-out-of-reach updo though! I understand wanting to avoid getting obsessive about it-- that's a big reason why I don't S&D. I'd go overboard and die of terminal eye-strain or "snipper's elbow", so I just won't start down that road.

Juanita
August 16th, 2011, 04:18 PM
I dont measure because I spent 4 1/2 years growing out dye. The dye was causing breakage which was making my hair get shorter.
renegrey now.

AceOfCurls
August 16th, 2011, 04:27 PM
I don't measure either. I kind of just eyeball it. Plus, to me the number doesn't matter rather where it falls on my body.

WaitingSoLong
August 16th, 2011, 05:03 PM
I measure to see if it IS growing, because it doesn't seem to change where it falls on my body. It seems to me it has been the same length for a year and if I did not measure I would swear my hair was not growing. It is actually a relief to measure at the end of the month and see it actually did grow.

I measure once a month, not neurotically. And I am only measuring once a month right now because I am doing a monistat experiment and want to chart the progress (or lack).

I never measured before TLHC. I was perfectly happy with my length then and now I am unhappy (tho longer) so I do see the negative side.

didrash
August 16th, 2011, 05:05 PM
I don't measure, because it is difficult for me to get correct results, and besides the length in centimeters is not important to me.

newbeginning
August 16th, 2011, 05:37 PM
I don't measure either. I figure it's hard to get an accurate reading since my hair can be wavy or straighter depending on the day.

Impulsive
August 17th, 2011, 09:06 PM
I don't measure for a few reasons. 1) I'm obsessive. If I ever started measuring, I'd never stop. 2) My hair is very curly. I'd drive myself nuts trying to get an accurate measurement. 3) I don't actually own a ruler, tape measure or anything I could use for a measurement.

racrane
August 17th, 2011, 10:05 PM
I don't measure. I measure wrong every time, anyway. I prefer pictures once a month.

MemoryXIII
August 17th, 2011, 10:10 PM
Same here. I will get obsessive and frustrated for no reason, because it's not growing "fast" enough.

Rosetta
August 20th, 2011, 03:56 AM
It's funny, but my hair seems to grow slower if I measure ;)
Like, I didn't do it for a long time, for the past few years, and lo and behold it soon was at my waist before I noticed :) But now, after a fairly big trim/chop recently (about 3 inches at least), I've been measuring a couple of times, as I'd love to get back to waist asap (and to get a proper current measurement on my profile here), but I think it'd be much better just to give that up and live as I used to, and it probably will get back to waist in no time...

ingvild
August 20th, 2011, 04:41 AM
I haven't measured in a while. I know the lengths of my milestones, but when I measure my hair I often get an error of ±2 cm, so not very accurate at all. :rolleyes: I prefer to take pictures instead. I often think I should start measuring (see signature..haha), but when I try, I never know if it's right or not :p

Mesmerise
August 20th, 2011, 05:27 AM
Well I didn't measure my length for 3 months... and then after I did I cut off a bit over 2" and a month later cut off another 2" or so, and I haven't measured since because it will make me sad!

I do occasionally measure my circ to see if it's thickened up (regrowth from shedding) and I've been gratified by an increase in the circ of a high ponytail (not much has happened with a nape ponytail though... hairs aren't long enough yet), so I like to keep track occasionally of what's going on in that regard although once the regrowth has reached long enough to get into a low ponytail, I doubt I'm going to keep measuring my circ (doesn't seem much point...unless something drastic occrus).

I probably won't measure my hair until I actively start growing again (I'm planning on cutting at least 1" a month for the rest of the year to get rid of the worst of my taper). I know I will go backwards, which is sort of sad. I'll go instead on how my hair feels/looks (no taper and no see-through hair is my goal)! Then, when my ends are better, and I start re-growing I'll probably start measuring every few months again.

ellen732
August 20th, 2011, 07:08 AM
I don't measure either. I kind of just eyeball it. Plus, to me the number doesn't matter rather where it falls on my body.

I agree. I can tell how long it is more where it falls on my body than measuring it. Numbers don't mean as much to me.

Peggy E.
August 20th, 2011, 07:30 AM
I haven't measured my hair in years! This summer is the first time I've noticed quite a bit of growth, simply because I am having so much trouble getting my hair to do the styles I live in - may have to take some off, for I don't know what to do with it.... :o(

No longer have a scale, either. Get away with murder at the doc's office - I'm in a wheelchair when going out, so they don't bother weighing me there! The floor hasn't collapsed under me and my clothes still fit, so must be doing okay....

Stub
August 20th, 2011, 10:26 AM
I don't measure either. Frankly, it doesn't interest me to know how many inches of hair I have. I also don't have a goal length because I don't know how long I want it. I'm just growing it as an experiment, to see if I even like having long hair, and 'measure' by where it falls on my body. More fun that way! :)

HeatherJenae
August 20th, 2011, 07:52 PM
I'm super lazy and I don't own one of those floppy tape measures, otherwise I would probably measure every day. It's probably better I don't. I'd get obsessed! :)

Ermine
August 20th, 2011, 08:21 PM
I don't measure either. I just go by relative goals eg. how close my hair is to being all one length. I also take monthly progress pictures. I figure the main goal is for it to be healthy and strong enough to be as long as I want it to be anyway.

justgreen
August 20th, 2011, 08:27 PM
I measure after I get a trim, which is about once a year. Then I change my length here.

I know it's growing because I have to get my roots highlighted every 4-6 weeks. I usually have between .75" and 1.25" growth.

AlannaMaria
August 20th, 2011, 09:14 PM
No measuring for this girl. Honestly, I try not to even look at it in the mirror when I take it down from an updo. : P

GRU
August 20th, 2011, 10:02 PM
I've never measured either, for pretty much the same reason.

feralnature
August 20th, 2011, 11:19 PM
I measured my hair in January 2008 when I joined here. Now, I just practice benign neglect, rarely take pics and my hair really seems to grow! Why? because I am not obscessed with it. I do not believe that you can trust a tape messure. Too many variables.

prettykitty
August 21st, 2011, 11:03 PM
I did that first measure most do when first coming to the LHC, and then did one a month later....which was exactly the same, and I felt really bummed.
After that I decided that measuring is a bi-annual thing for me.