PDA

View Full Version : Instead of Monistat....

Magsi
June 27th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Can we use Nizoral shampoo? It's an antifungal just like Monistst, but actually meant for the scalp.

All the people in my family have had ringworm from a dog we adopted and we had to use Nizoral as hair and body wash for weeks to get rid of it. Maybe this can be used for hair growth?

I am sorry if this has been brought up before, I did a search and found a few threads but nothing specifically explaining using Nizoral for hair growth.

akurah
June 27th, 2008, 06:06 PM
I don't see why not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketoconazole#Hair_loss_benefits

girlcat36
June 27th, 2008, 06:09 PM
I also researched this, but since my hair hates shampoos, I opted to try the monistat.

Magsi
June 27th, 2008, 06:15 PM
I found this link:
http://www.howtoall.com/Menshealthfiles/howtousenizoraltohelpstophairloss1.htm

harley mama
June 27th, 2008, 06:24 PM
I don't shampoo either.
And, I wonder if using Nizoral will dry out the length of hair?

Magsi
June 27th, 2008, 06:27 PM
I think Nizoral probably would be a bit drying. Maybe it can be massaged into the scalp only while holding the length up with the other hand? I dunno, I never tried it, but I think I will give it a shot.

ailin
June 27th, 2008, 09:34 PM
I use Nizoral around once every week, or every other week. It's REALLY drying.

As for hair growth speed, I haven't really noticed anything significant. I do have lots of new growth though.

hazelceleste
June 27th, 2008, 09:57 PM
FYI- the active ingredient in Nizoral is ketoconazole. You can buy ketoconazole in pill/powder form at almost all pet stores. Walmart type places might have it too. Look with the fish/pond medication for fungus treatment.

Make sure to read the ingredients though. Not all fungus treatments are ketoconazole. And you might want to stay away from the "fizzy" tabs too. I'm not sure what makes them fizz, but I imagine it's not great for hair.

physicschick
June 27th, 2008, 10:44 PM
My dermatologist told me to use Head & Shoulders for scalp fungus. Apparently the zinc pyrithione is antifungal. I'm still deciding whether it's worth it or not (and how drying it'll be in the long term). I don't expect to notice a change in growth; my goal is less flaking.

jojo
June 28th, 2008, 05:36 AM
Yes you can, if you go to the old boards this is mentioned in Aines 'holy moly' post. I tried this too but I stopped using it as you have to leave it on for 5 minutes, which i don't feel comfortable with as its full of sulfates, which my hair hates.

But by all means try it and remember to report your findings!

jojo
June 28th, 2008, 05:39 AM
My dermatologist told me to use Head & Shoulders for scalp fungus. Apparently the zinc pyrithione is antifungal. I'm still deciding whether it's worth it or not (and how drying it'll be in the long term). I don't expect to notice a change in growth; my goal is less flaking.

Just a thought here but have you tried adding a few drops of tea tree oil to your regular shampoo? This is also an anti fungal and won't dry your hair out.

MeMyselfandI
June 28th, 2008, 06:29 AM
Is the Monistat, supposed to increase hair growth?

I would think anything that is for hair growth or scalp treatment would not need to be applied to the length of the hair.

I would strongly recommend the Goody Cooper brush to anyone who has flakes. I usually do not mention products, but I am so impressed with how this brush works. I bought one for DH to try. We were amazed with the results so we then got one for my son.

My husband showed major improvements to flakes with the Goody copper. His flaking is almost non existant now. He does not use any special shampoo.

For my son, he uses head and shoulders once in a while and the copper brush. I also need to use leave in conditioner for him. Teens and hormones!

http://www.goody.com/Products/Styling%20Tools/Brushes/Styler/reduce+dandruff_styler.aspx

It also comes in a Paddle 88255, I can't get the link to work for it.

Actually I also like thier ouchless brush. I find it easier to detangle my wet hair then my wooden comb.

physicschick
June 28th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, jojo and MeMyselfandI. Jojo, I might try the tea tree oil eventually, since I have some. However, I can do only one new thing at a time or I won't know which change was significant. (Scientific method and all that... :lol: )

MeMyselfandI, I've never heard of this brush before. Interesting. Actually, the flakes are on my face and in my eyebrows. My dermatologist thinks the fungus originated on my scalp and spreads from there to my face (so we need to kill it on the scalp too). If they make a miniature eyebrow-sized brush, I'd try it! :)

Anyway, I wanted to mention the zinc pyrithione in case it could help anyone, though I'm still uncertain about it.

susiemw
June 28th, 2008, 10:18 AM
yes, you can use the nizoral shampoo. I've been using it a couple times a week and using the monistat (the frequency varies).... too soon to know if it's doing any good. I'll report back and let you know.

susan

MeMyselfandI
June 28th, 2008, 11:45 AM
MeMyselfandI, I've never heard of this brush before. Interesting. Actually, the flakes are on my face and in my eyebrows. My dermatologist thinks the fungus originated on my scalp and spreads from there to my face (so we need to kill it on the scalp too). If they make a miniature eyebrow-sized brush, I'd try it! :)

My husbands's large flakes on his forehead and eyebrows almost disappeared. I went to look. Now all you see is like a bit of dry skin. I think I will have him massage his forehead and eyebrows with the bristles.

Di not use on wet hair.

girlcat36
June 28th, 2008, 12:35 PM
A copper brush is an interesting idea. I know they put copper wire along shingle lines on the north side of a roof to prevent moss from growing on the shingles. And my copper birdbath and copper fountain never grow algae. I guess copper is antifungal!

wendy645
June 28th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, jojo and MeMyselfandI. Jojo, I might try the tea tree oil eventually, since I have some. However, I can do only one new thing at a time or I won't know which change was significant. (Scientific method and all that... :lol: )

Anyway, I wanted to mention the zinc pyrithione in case it could help anyone, though I'm still uncertain about it.

Oh dear, I do believe I've found someone to post-stalk! I have a fungal infection on my scalp that's driving me insane and knowing someone else is dealing with something similar is comforting :-|

jojo
June 28th, 2008, 04:36 PM

Years ago I used to go on sunbeds (stupid idea) I caught a fungal infection, which spread on my arms and face. These patches looked like vitiligo where the pigment is lost from the skin; my GP told me this is what it was and that it was unlikely to clear. But I knew it occurred initially from this particular sunbed incident. I tried everything, even a 6 month antifugal medication and nothing worked.

Selsun worked the best but then a woman on a bus mentioned my skin and said to mix 10 drops to a small bottle of shampoo and wash my skin with this. Well I did this twice a day and within a fortnight, it started to go and eventually cleared up.

Would love to see that woman again, to say thanks. Also dairy products may aggravate the infection more, try cutting these down a little or try switching to soya for a while.

Let me know how you get on with the tea tree, I totally understand how frustrating fungal infections are.

jojo
June 28th, 2008, 04:40 PM
Oh dear, I do believe I've found someone to post-stalk! I have a fungal infection on my scalp that's driving me insane and knowing someone else is dealing with something similar is comforting :-|

Have you thought of trying the monistat experiment. There is a huge post dedicated to this and although its tedious take a cup of coffee and sit and read the posts; took me hours!

Anyway lots of us myself included use monistat to increase hair growth and have got brilliant results.

You could kill 2 birds with one stone, get rid of the fungal infection and get faster growth!

MeMyselfandI
June 28th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Years ago I used to go on sunbeds (stupid idea) I caught a fungal infection, which spread on my arms and face. These patches looked like vitiligo where the pigment is lost from the skin; my GP told me this is what it was and that it was unlikely to clear. But I knew it occurred initially from this particular sunbed incident. I tried everything, even a 6 month antifugal medication and nothing worked.

Selsun worked the best but then a woman on a bus mentioned my skin and said to mix 10 drops to a small bottle of shampoo and wash my skin with this. Well I did this twice a day and within a fortnight, it started to go and eventually cleared up.

Would love to see that woman again, to say thanks. Also dairy products may aggravate the infection more, try cutting these down a little or try switching to soya for a while.

Let me know how you get on with the tea tree, I totally understand how frustrating fungal infections are.

jojo,

Did your skin lose pigmentation or did areas get darker?

Did you add Selsun to any shampoo to use on your body?

This is a very helpful post. I have learned so much.

MeMyselfandI
June 28th, 2008, 04:57 PM

Hang in there Wendy.

Knowing what you have is half the battle.

girlcat36
June 28th, 2008, 05:20 PM
I have a similar story to Jojo's.
I have olive skin that gets very tan in the summer. Except my upper arms, they always had white patches. My mother asked a doctor about it, and he called it Tinea Versacolor(a fungus) and said to ignore it, it's harmless.
So I went for like 20 years with these stupid white patches on my arms until my sister-in-law told me to wash my skin with Selsun Blue shampoo. It worked quickly and perfectly. People even noticed that my skin was better and commented on it.
I was a little irked that something so simple and readily available could have cured this long ago!
Oh by the way---on the fungus topic. If you ever have fingernail fungus, soak your nail in Listerine, it is cheap and effective.

MeMyselfandI
June 28th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Girlcat,

Thank you for sharing your story. I agree, very maddening.

Intresting about the listerine.

girlcat36
June 28th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Your welcome :)

Um, but don't be like me and try putting listerine on your scalp!
Bad idea.

MeMyselfandI
June 28th, 2008, 06:29 PM
Your welcome :)

Um, but don't be like me and try putting listerine on your scalp!
Bad idea.

I should not laugh. I had not thought of that. Should I ask why?

To all with fungal infections of the skin. Does ocean water help?

MeMyselfandI
June 28th, 2008, 06:34 PM
http://www.drugs.com/cons/selsun-blue-topical.html

I just looked up selsum blue.

Head and shoulder shampoos have different formulations in Canada and the USA.

girlcat36
June 28th, 2008, 06:37 PM
I should not laugh. I had not thought of that. Should I ask why?

I have long suspected that my hairloss over the years has a lot to do with some sort of scalp fungus, so I thought that if the Listerine had worked so well for a fingernail fungus that I had, maybe it would be good for my scalp. I was a desperate woman!
So it was REALLY bad for my hair. I decided to get the essential oil of the active ingredient in Listerine(thyme), and add it to a scalp massage blend.
I used to get a lot of scalp 'soreness'(as when your hair has been in a ponytail for a long time) for no apparant reason. I saw on a hairloss masage board that this soreness could indicate a scalp fungus. I do not get this soreness anymore, but I use my scalp masage oil regularly.

jojo
June 28th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Did your skin lose pigmentation or did areas get darker? I lost the pigment from the areas it just went white, didn't tan over. Started off as finger tip sized marks and spread to island like areas.

Did you add Selsun to any shampoo to use on your body? No I used it like a soap, three times a day. Used to put it on, leave for 5 minutes and rinse off. http://health.yahoo.com/skinconditions-overview/tinea-versicolor/mayoclinic--8DF54E32-2A5D-9994-EB8CB502ED7F36D7.html
Scroll down, to the picture this is what mine was like.

This is a very helpful post. I have learned so much. No worries, its an awful thing to get rid of, glad to have been of help.

jojo
June 28th, 2008, 07:16 PM
I have a similar story to Jojo's.
I have olive skin that gets very tan in the summer. Except my upper arms, they always had white patches. My mother asked a doctor about it, and he called it Tinea Versacolor(a fungus) and said to ignore it, it's harmless.
So I went for like 20 years with these stupid white patches on my arms until my sister-in-law told me to wash my skin with Selsun Blue shampoo. It worked quickly and perfectly. People even noticed that my skin was better and commented on it.
I was a little irked that something so simple and readily available could have cured this long ago!
Oh by the way---on the fungus topic. If you ever have fingernail fungus, soak your nail in Listerine, it is cheap and effective.

This is the exact same thing I had, heres a link I just posted http://health.yahoo.com/skinconditions-overview/tinea-versicolor/mayoclinic--8DF54E32-2A5D-9994-EB8CB502ED7F36D7.html
I didnt know until now it has a name! but the illustration is exactly what mine looked like. Im an olive skin too, wonder if we are more susceptible to it? On the subject of fingernail fungas, vodka also works too! just dont drink it afterwards else you will get mushrooms growing on your liver!!:poot:

girlcat36
June 28th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Great link, Jojo!

jojo
June 29th, 2008, 12:29 AM
Brings back bad memories looking at that photos, i forgot i had it on my back. I remember being on holiday one year with it, and its like more obvious when the rest of the skin gets a tan and the white bit, stays white and looks awful. This waiter came up to the table one evening and went 'URGH' pointing at my arms, I ran out crying. It made me so sensitive.

Anathema
June 29th, 2008, 02:02 AM

Oh whee! I haven't looked my whiter areas up yet since I'm sure the doctor is only going to tell me it's something harmless and not give me any concrete tips on how to deal with it.
Definately going to buy a bottle of tea tree oil tomorrow and try this out!

Should I get any special shampoo, or just mix it in with my regular?

jojo
June 29th, 2008, 05:51 PM
just apply it neat, dont mix the selsun just use it as a soap. For the tea tree mix 10 drops in a small bottle of regular shampp, use as a soap. Leave both for 5 minutes and rinse, repeat 3 times a day.

I sincerely hope this works for you, please let me know how you get on. x x x

sipnsun
June 30th, 2008, 09:22 AM
I use Sesum Blue a couple times a month and I've not noticed that it makes my ends any drier than normal. It does make my scalp hair look really shiny, which tends to look oily and dirty within hours of washing. I've never thought to attribute my hair loss to a scalp fungus though. Will have to look into that!