PDA

View Full Version : Swimming and splits

Keller1128
August 15th, 2011, 11:40 PM
I've been trying to S&D for several weeks now and haven't found any splits. I went swimming yesterday and am now finding them everywhere! What happened?

UltraBella
August 16th, 2011, 12:44 AM
Do you use a conditioner that contains cones ? Do you apply any type of oil frequently ? These both can hide damage and bind split ends together, they virtually disappear. Then you go swimming and the prolonged water exposure, chlorine, etc can strip whatever is coating your ends. Is this a possibility with you ?

lunalesca
August 16th, 2011, 06:22 AM
Maybe next time you could oil your ends to protect them against chlorine.

ZeppHead
August 16th, 2011, 06:51 AM
I agree with above answers. They could be more noticeable now after swimming. If you think swimming is damaging, I know it was for me until I started protecting it, rinse with water before and after you get in the pool, use a light or leave in conditioner before swimming and always use protection while sitting in the sun. Do not let chlorine dry in your hair! At least rinse with the hose before letting it dry.

BabyRay33
August 16th, 2011, 11:49 AM
I also think that swimming uncovered the damage that was already there. Swimming dries my hair out a lot if I don't use oil before getting in the pool. Try that next time, I bet you will have better results.

Aerin
August 16th, 2011, 03:06 PM
I haven't done a S&D session yet, but if pool water reveals splits, would it be more beneficial to go to the pool right beforehand and trim them or avoid the water and just leave them?

Khiwanean
August 16th, 2011, 03:20 PM
I'm leaning towards the chlorine is drying and causes the splits, rather than the damage was just revealed by the pool water. I know chlorine drys out my skin.

Be sure to wet your hair thoroughly before getting in the water and after getting out. Oiling may also help.

Keller1128
August 16th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Thanks for all the replies. No, I don't use a coney conditioner but I have been oiling frequently (though I've also been clarifying about once a week). I know what I SHOULD have done because I read a thread prior to going swimming about what to do and it said to oil your ends fairly heavily and to wet your hair with non-chlorinated water first. I went with friends and didn't want them to see my heavily oiled hair or wear a swimming cap. There was also not a shower at the pool so I couldn't wet my hair beforehand. It just kind of freaked me out to see what I thought was healthy hair now riddled with splits. This growing out your hair business is a lot of work. I remember when I used to have waist length hair I had a lot of splits but they didn't bother me then - now they do.