PDA

View Full Version : Can shampoo/condish make you shed?

growingpains
August 15th, 2011, 10:00 PM
Ok, so the other day (it was wash day, after my hair had dried) my dbf was running his hands through my hair in bed and getting out tangles. He did it for maybe 5 minutes. Afterwards he had soo much hair stuck on his hand. I was so embarrassed. I then got up and I saw several more hairs on the bed. I was so weirded out cause normally I don't shed much, just a few with brushing and in the shower. This was about a week ago. Since then I noticed more shedding than normal also, but it was mostly that day. Then two days ago (again wash day) I noticed once more quite a bit of shedding. I counted after the shower and I had 25 hairs in my hand when detangling. This is on top of the 10 or so that went down the drain and the 10 or so hairs that came out the 3 times I detangled earlier in the day and of course random shedding I don't notice.

I should note, the last few months I have been using sulfate shampoo and cone condish about 4 times per week with no problems. Previously to that I was cone free CO with an organic brand. The last two washes I used V05 condish (first time ever) as a CO in an attempt to pamper my hair.

I commented on it to my mom today and was like "I think it's the new conditioner", as I've never used it before, and well, you know how CO is, you really gotta get it on the scalp good. My mom was like "um no, nothing youdo to your scalp from the outside will affect shedding, it's only stuff inside your body - like hormones and diet - that matter". And I was like "WHAT? My LHC friends talk about product-related shedding often."

So question: CAN PRODUCTS REALLY CAUSE SHEDDING?

Do you think my shedding could be related to V05? I hope so. I will go back to my normal s/c to be safe.

Alternately, I lost maybe 10 pounds recently (I didn't need to lose weight). It wasn't on purpose, just have been biking to commute for a few months. I eat as much as ever though. I really hope it's not weight-related. That would be a pain. Even worse, though, would be if my hair was just getting thinner and will continue to do so.

My hair is already not very thick and I don't want it to get thinner!

Henna_Goddess
August 15th, 2011, 10:16 PM
Could be the shampoos you've been using. I noticed I shed a lot with Pantene products and Dove products. I can't use either or I'm pulling hair out of the drain. It also looks like you've got several different brands that you've used recently. I don't know much about changing brands often but since hair is delicate that might have something to do with it too.

growingpains
August 15th, 2011, 10:26 PM
Thanks! To clarify, my hair was fine with the S/C sulfate/cone combo I was using for a few months. It's since the more recent two washes using CO with V05 that I've had a problem.

My mother thinks I'm paranoid and obsessed. She says "100 hairs per day is a normal shed rate". Maybe so, but I swear I was only noticing 20 tops for months.