PDA

View Full Version : Protein for dummies.

mallorykay13
August 15th, 2011, 08:43 PM
Help me. I have been here a month or so and STILL dont understand the protein or SLS thing. I get no cones/conies and understand. I'm just ignorant. Help me out?

christine1989
August 15th, 2011, 08:51 PM
I don't get the whole protein thing either (at least not the actual science behind it). What I do know is that in general fine hair needs protein and coarse hair does not. My coarse hair really does not like it but the only way to find out is to try it out.

As for SLS it has its pros and cons. The big pro is that it gets the buildup and oils out of your hair REALLY well. The downside is that it is a common ingredient in industrial cleaners and strips ALL of the good oils out of your hair causing it to be drier, frizzier and often induces more shedding. Again, some people love SLS and have no negative effects from it- the only way to find out is to pay close attention to how your hair acts on and off SLS.

Anje
August 15th, 2011, 08:54 PM
This is the best article I know on evaluating whether you need protein for your hair. (http://blackbeautyblackhair86911.yuku.com/topic/511/t/Hair-Breakage-and-Shedding-101.html#.TknZzWFJ58E) I'm guessing that's more what you don't get than that you're asking what protein is or something... :)

The SLS/sulfate thing is that sulfates including sodium lauryl sulfate are fairly harsh surfactants. They're drying, and in higher concentrations than typically found in shampoo, they are used in laboratories as protein denaturants, implying that prolonged exposure might begin to break down the keratin proteins that make up hair. Sulfate detergents are really good at getting everything off hair -- oils, silicones, maple syrup from an accident involving hair and pancakes, etc. Some people find that they're too good, and that removing all the natural oils that thoroughly causes their hair or scalp to dry out. Personally, I find that regular shampooing with sulfates not only drys my scalp, but that once my scalp decides it's dry it tries to compensate by pumping out tons more oil, leaving me with oilier roots and drier length than if I don't use sulfates. Additionally (like basically everything out there), some people are allergic to SLS.

Mingle
August 16th, 2011, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the article, Anje!

I found that if I pull on a strand of hair, it won't break, it will just detach from the scalp along with the root. Ouch. Was the testing meant to be done on multiple hairs at once or just one?

monsterna
August 16th, 2011, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the article, Anje!

I found that if I pull on a strand of hair, it won't break, it will just detach from the scalp along with the root. Ouch. Was the testing meant to be done on multiple hairs at once or just one?

Well, it's usually done on shed hairs.... Not to pull if from your scalp. Between your hands.

Anje
August 16th, 2011, 11:36 AM
Yes, use shed hairs. Though if it's coming out without breaking, either your hair is decently strong or your roots are wimpy. Not everyone's hair is out of balance.

swearnsue
August 16th, 2011, 11:40 AM
After all I've read about protein I'm afraid to even try it. I eat plenty of protein in my diet so I'm figuring my hair won't need any applied to it. IDK.

Anje
August 16th, 2011, 12:41 PM
Well, you definitely need protein in your diet to grow hair. :D

I think people with hair that hasn't gone through chemical processes like bleaching, lots of dyes with peroxide or ammonia, or perms, often don't really need protein at all. They might do well with a conditioner that has a little protein in it, but it's not really necessary to pay attention to. A few others are like me and have hair that dislikes protein enough that we need to read ingredients lists to avoid the small quantities that are often included in conditioner.

But if you've bleached your hair or permed it or relaxed it to the point where it's weird and stretchy and breaking off, it's definitely important to know about applying protein to hair.

freckles
August 17th, 2011, 05:13 AM
Anje, that article was really helpful, thankyou! :) I wish I could also thank sistaslick.

The protein thing has been confusing to me for a very, very long time. Anyway, both after reading that article, and after deep treating my hair with a fairly proteiny conditioner the other day for the first time ever just to see what happened, I've come to the conclusion that my hair doesn't want any protein. According to diagnostics on the article, my hair is fine, and the protein treatment the other day has made my ends dry and icky (they are still tangly and awful now) ... I did do a moisture treatment right after, too. :shrug:

At least now I know. I've been wondering if protein is something I should be worrying about for months and months, wondering if it would help my splits/breakage. Now I've decided, NO. I can hide that protein conditioner and only bring it out in future if I actually believe I need protein. None of the hair currently on my head has ever been processed (bleach, dye, perm, etc) so it kind of makes sense that my hair is fine without protein.

linnepinne
August 17th, 2011, 05:27 AM
I was thinking that this whole "hair needs extra protein" thing might just come from hairdressers and the world of conventional hair care? It is much more common to fry, bleach, colour and perm your hair for most people, and maybe very damaged hair needs that extra protein, but undamaged hair does not?
(Just talking about adding protein externally, of course you need a good protein rich diet to grow healthy hair.)

I have virgin hair (that I now treat very well, thanks to LHC), and my hair HATES protein. Of any kind, and no matter how tiny the quantity.

I read somewhere that fine haired poeple often need extra protein, but I'm not sure that is accurate. My strands are very fine, and protein is still a disaster for me.