PDA

View Full Version : As a curly, I'm really quite offended by this article...

AlexiaBlue
August 15th, 2011, 03:47 PM
http://thelook.today.com/_news/2011/08/15/7379493-millionaire-matchmaker-shares-style-tips-to-get-you-a-second-date

I would also take offense, if I was a red-head, to the third paragraph. :o

What is it with the negative view of curly hair? Hmm. I just don't get it. :(

Thank goodness I'm happily married and my husband likes my curly hair, otherwise I'm undatable according to this woman. LOL.

Aerin
August 15th, 2011, 03:51 PM
Wow-I've got curls and red hair...I guess this explains why my bf is of irish descent?
But really just complete rubbish...

ennuideluxe
August 15th, 2011, 03:54 PM
Wow. I cant say I was impressed at all by this article. More telling is the the fact that my husband was even less impressed than I was: "Has this woman EVER met a guy? Who is she to say what men do and don't like!?"

Mairéad
August 15th, 2011, 03:58 PM
I bet she's single.
I'm not pretending that men won't have preferences and I don't know what men like either, but from personal observation I gather the more natural, the better. So if a man is dating you and you have curly hair, I'm sure he loves it! Again, I don't know. Different man, different style, right?

Oh, and she must be high when she talks about redheads. As least from people I've talked to, we seem to be loved.

IzzyFlyy
August 15th, 2011, 03:59 PM
wtf! Thats messed up! I have curly hair and im not too offended because i know there are alot of men who like curly hair, but i guess shes just around the ones who like straight hair. weird:confused:

ennuideluxe
August 15th, 2011, 04:06 PM
Funny, I just noticed its about how to get a wealthy man, and by extension, how to get stuff from a wealthy man. Notice that thing she says about not wearing diamonds, because he wont know what to get you?

Heh. I wonder if she realizes that some men actually prefer a best friend who is opinionated and fiesty and fun, rather than being a silken haired plaything who is in it for the expensive gifts?

The people she is setting up sound extremely dull and superficial. Maybe THATS why they need a matchmaker.

ladonna
August 15th, 2011, 04:18 PM
Lame and superficial... how do you make a loving lasting relationship out of that?
I've been sucessfully married to man who loves me in my natural form for 10 years.

jeanniet
August 15th, 2011, 04:20 PM
If straight hair has been in for the last 100 years, I don't know why so many women spend so much time curling their hair or getting it permed. And frankly, if you have to change who you are to get a man, that man's not worth having. If your hair is straight, great; if it's curly, equally great.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure Andie McDowell's hair doesn't look like that when she gets up in the morning! :p

getoffmyskittle
August 15th, 2011, 04:23 PM
Funny, I just noticed its about how to get a wealthy man, and by extension, how to get stuff from a wealthy man. Notice that thing she says about not wearing diamonds, because he wont know what to get you?

Heh. I wonder if she realizes that some men actually prefer a best friend who is opinionated and fiesty and fun, rather than being a silken haired plaything who is in it for the expensive gifts?

The people she is setting up sound extremely dull and superficial. Maybe THATS why they need a matchmaker.

This is exactly what I was thinking. :rolleyes:

Alvrodul
August 15th, 2011, 04:25 PM
If she is using herself as an example of what guys go for, they must only like the fake, plasticy look. *sniffs disdainfully and consigns article to rubbish bin*

archel
August 15th, 2011, 04:30 PM
Wow, that lady is pure class...

MidnightStar
August 15th, 2011, 04:40 PM
Wow. I can't speak for the curls, but I can say that in my years as a redhead, I got more compliments from men than I've ever had. Any man who wants a plaything to buy diamonds for should just get himself a RealDoll and leave the rest of us fun, fiesty (redhead or no, curly or straight) ladies be! :D

Raqdoll
August 15th, 2011, 04:40 PM

^^^^By jove, I think you've got it! :eyebrows:

My husband thinks I'm sexy as hell when I'm fired up about something - and vice versa.

ETA: Oh, and I could be bald for all he cares, he'd think that was sexy too LOL

SoulOfTheSea
August 15th, 2011, 04:54 PM
Wow. =/ While I was reading it I could not believe she was actually saying this stuff! It's offensive and I'm ashamed that people find her show entertaining.

invisiblebabe
August 15th, 2011, 05:06 PM
Yah, so men really think that women like Cintia Dicker and Rachelle Lafevre are ugly. :rolleyes: The people who wrote that article are cuckoo.

ETA: One more reason why I can't take that article seriously is that it talks about "getting laid" as the goal of a date.

Slinks
August 15th, 2011, 05:09 PM
my - me - I'm ... WTF .. she is really up herself !! I'd rather be the Bogen I am with the Redneck I married than have her set me up .. utter rubbish !!

AceOfCurls
August 15th, 2011, 05:11 PM
If straight hair has been in for the last 100 years, I don't know why so many women spend so much time curling their hair or getting it permed. And frankly, if you have to change who you are to get a man, that man's not worth having. If your hair is straight, great; if it's curly, equally great.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure Andie McDowell's hair doesn't look like that when she gets up in the morning! :p

Thank you! I have to agree. She doesn't even consider the people behind the hair.

I for one feel hurt by her comment. Plenty of men find curly hair attractive. I should know I've had to turn down quite a few of them. ;P My curls bounce, tease, and seduce men. They are fun and feisty, with more personality than her cookie cutter ideas about how women should look to attract men. She is delusional.

Aliped
August 15th, 2011, 05:12 PM
All the curly red headed girls I've ever known, had loads of guys trying to date them - this is rubbish!

2peasinapod
August 15th, 2011, 05:15 PM
She's probably jealous ;)! I know it's not always the case when someone criticizes your hair, but I don't know what else it could be. I've gotten nothing but compliments on my waves, and I bet curlies get admired even more.

I noticed she says that straight hair is more in fashion. Maybe because it's more common? Or at least it looks that way with everyone straightening their hair. I would think curls would be more unusual and exotic then, but I'm not a man, so what do I know. :shrug:

In my experience, while some men have preferences, most men like women, no matter what hair they have. ;)

Yame
August 15th, 2011, 05:16 PM
These are just style tips for dating millionaires. It doesn't apply to most of us, so it shouldn't offend you.

Most millionaires probably prefer straight, blonde hair, a tanned body, and huge breast implants. You're not trying to please them, so who cares. Even so, I am sure that is not the case for all of them.

As for men in general, there are plenty of men out there who love redheads, and plenty of men out there who like or prefer curls, or who have no preference, really. Don't pay attention to some blabbering idiot.

Slinks
August 15th, 2011, 05:18 PM
In my experience, while some men have preferences, most men like women, no matter what hair they have. ;)

lol :lol: :beerchug:

longcurlygirl<3
August 15th, 2011, 05:18 PM
Personally, any man who will fall in love with you will love you no matter what. Lady is a jerk and no wonder she hasn't been matched yet...and it annoyed me how she is basically tell women how they can get "laid". She pisses me off :p

vanillabones
August 15th, 2011, 05:20 PM
These are just style tips for dating millionaires. It doesn't apply to most of us, so it shouldn't offend you.

Most millionaires probably prefer straight, blonde hair, a tanned body, and huge breast implants. You're not trying to please them, so who cares. Even so, I am sure that is not the case for all of them.

As for men in general, there are plenty of men out there who love redheads, and plenty of men out there who like or prefer curls, or who have no preference, really. Don't pay attention to some blabbering idiot.

Exactly. It offends me that people are so offended and bringing up their own personal lives. The show is to match people worth MULTI MILLIONS OF DOLLARS NOT EVERY-DAY PEOPLE ON THE STREET WITH FAMILIES ALREADY :p

PixxieStix
August 15th, 2011, 05:20 PM
I am not sure I would want to be attracting the kind of men she is trying to tell you how to get.

For starters, although my natural hair is medium auburn, (and I consider myself a redhead), guys LOVE it. My naturally gorgeous blonde haired best friend dyed her hair red to please her husband, 'cause he has a thing for redheads. (She wanted to try it too, decided it wasn't her, and that was that, but he loved it while she had it!)

And, um, excuse me, what is the point of having my diamond stud earrings if I don't wear them? You know what, I don't need a man to buy me jewelry, if i love it, I buy it for myself because I'm worth it, and if he is worth getting to know, and he wants to know you, the advice “Don’t wear your diamonds to a date, or he has nothing to buy you.” is rubbish. If he knows you well enough to buy you something, it will be something you like. What made diamond earrings/jewelry the go to gift anyway? Something that common would have me seriously doubting the time spent together.

Also, looks like her fashion advice is taken from other sources and she just touts it like she made it up. Tsk tsk tsk.

ladycaladium
August 15th, 2011, 05:23 PM
OMG, this is why I can't get a date :rolleyes:!

(insert sarcasm...)

Arya
August 15th, 2011, 05:32 PM
Shallow people with money want shallow women with conventional good looks? Great!

UGH what happened to the whole 'independant woman' who can get her own bloody diamonds thing. I don't want expensive presents from men. If you're trading sex for expensive items from men, you are a sex worker. I have nothing against prostitutes, but when you're a sex worker, you should admit it.

Chetanlaiho
August 15th, 2011, 05:46 PM
If the first part didn't induce my rage the second part certainly did xD

"At the end of the day, sex signals the man, and sex equals romance to the man."
'Scuse me? Not saying there aren't men like that around but I am not that fond of generalization :/

luthein
August 15th, 2011, 05:48 PM
Whatever happened to "he will love you for you" <shakes head>
At the end of the day, the clothes/makeup/hairdo comes off. What's a curly supposed to do, crazy lady, flat-iron in secret?

Aurielle
August 15th, 2011, 05:55 PM
I don't agree with anything she says. She wants every girl she chooses for the male millionaires to be skinny, tan, and "perfect," but brings in hideous guys for the female millionaires and tells them to get over it because no attractive guy would like one of them. She has high standards for women but will bring in any guy who's breathing to date a woman.

Kelikea
August 15th, 2011, 06:07 PM
Yikes! Its sad that women go to her for advice on "matchmaking" when they are probably looking for a husband and she is selling them sex. When you go on a date, do you assume that the guy has his natural color hair and eyes and dressed himself? How would you feel after a dating him for a while you have a sleepover or see him fresh out of the shower and he has a different texture hair, different colored eyes, a trashed apartment, ugly clothes, etc? Aren't we doing the same thing when we change everything about our style and what makes us unique, just to impress someone? And then, if you really like the guy, you just have to hope he likes you for you, and not the image you put out from the beginning, because it was false. And please, if you have red hair, don't dye it a different color! (And that should go for everyone else, as well.) Be happy with who and what you are. Change for the better, if that's what you think is right. But don't live a lie.

TheCaityCat
August 15th, 2011, 06:07 PM
I think my red-headed sister would beg to differ with Stanger's bias against redheads.

spidermom
August 15th, 2011, 06:08 PM
Straight hair has been in style for 100 years? I guess I'm older than I thought because I can clearly remember scores of girls drooling over curly hair and running out to get perms by the droves.

monsterna
August 15th, 2011, 06:12 PM
I cannot stand that "woman" (she looks more like a cyborg, but I digress). Someone as utterly boring, vapid, and materialistic as her doesn't deserve to be listened to. I'd take advice from my mom's dogs before her.

AlexiaBlue
August 15th, 2011, 06:14 PM
I cannot stand that "woman" (she looks more like a cyborg, but I digress). Someone as utterly boring, vapid, and materialistic as her doesn't deserve to be listened to. I'd take advice from my mom's dogs before her.
LOL!!!

Everyone's comments are cracking me up!

SoulOfTheSea
August 15th, 2011, 06:16 PM
. When you go on a date, do you assume that the guy has his natural color hair and eyes and dressed himself? How would you feel after a dating him for a while you have a sleepover or see him fresh out of the shower and he has a different texture hair, different colored eyes, a trashed apartment, ugly clothes, etc? Aren't we doing the same thing when we change everything about our style and what makes us unique, just to impress someone?

I never thought about it that way, that was quite genius how you worded that just now. It makes me think twice about wanting to wear any makeup (not like I wear much anyways), and think twice about my first impressions. It would be just awful if that were to happen with a man, so now I can see how most men feel about women from that perspective. I can truly relate to this because I used to straighten my hair everyday when I was younger... Every. Day. And I had past waist-length hair. I thought I was helping myself by doing that, when in fact everyone liked my natural hair better. It took me years to love my own texture, and a lot of it was with help from this website. :) (back when I was a lurker :o ) Thank you so much LHC for helping me love my natural texture, I couldn't have done it without you, and I'm sure so many others of you feel the same way, all hair textures are beautiful, and this website helps every woman and man realize and nurture it! :joy:

islandboo
August 15th, 2011, 06:22 PM
LOL!!!

Everyone's comments are cracking me up!

Me, too! :D I think that the people on this forum - who are for the most part self-assured, opinionated, individualistic folks that tend to favor wearing their hair in a way that pleases them rather than society in general - are not going to pay much attention to this woman (I find myself unable to call her a lady).

cuddledumplin
August 15th, 2011, 06:52 PM
What a stupid article! Wow, I managed to get a man without straightening my hair or dressing like a tart, and my husband might not be a millionaire, but he's loyal, honest and hardworking, and you can't buy qualities like that.

growingpains
August 15th, 2011, 06:58 PM
Ya, if you're a shallow man that only wants sex and a trophy wife, she's bang on. Otherwise her advice is ridiculous and inaccurate. Not to mention EXTREMELY offensive. Not just about the hair thing, but about the whole "don't be yourself, you MUST change to be a man and for god's sake be sexy or you aren't good for anything" attitude.

Gross. I'm offended by her.

silverjen
August 15th, 2011, 06:59 PM
She's a procurer, pure and simple. She says it herself, "I'm just the distributor." Way to commercialize relationships, lady. Yeeuch. I have to go wash my brain now.

pixiedust
August 15th, 2011, 07:02 PM
It IS good advice for men who are trying to look like women though, because soft curly red hair and loose boho clothes and lots of silly jewelry only looks good on those with natural feminine features ;)

RedDevil
August 15th, 2011, 07:06 PM
Dont be offended ladies. This woman probably had a boyfriend that left her for some hot curly redhead vixen. We should feel sorry for her and teach her to focus on more important things like proper haircare ;)

AlabasterAlice
August 15th, 2011, 07:06 PM
What?? :steam

I have wurls in my hair, and when the weather is right and I haven't abused them they get very happy. It's beautiful! When I get like that, my husband calls me a Celtic goddess. :o

Plus, girls who overly straighten their hair look awful, IMO. You know the look, too. The ends are layered and/or fried, and their hair looks fake straight. It's so straight you know she worked on it for a good hour or more, and it just sort of lays on her head. I don't like it because even if you have thick hair, it just hangs there and looks...blah.

And don't even get me started on redheads. If redheads were out of style and unattractive then why do you see so many stars and celebs and models going red?? It's a beautiful color (especially when you get it just right for that persons skin tone <3) and highly attractive.

AlabasterAlice
August 15th, 2011, 07:08 PM
Another thought that came to mind is "Wow, what a superficial relationship. Does no one form a relationship based on connection and personality anymore?"

Lollipop
August 15th, 2011, 07:09 PM
Ah, The Millionare Matchmaker. It's been a while since I've subjected myself to her drivel. Her anti-curl status is quite notorious on naturallycurly.com, and there are several threads and articles about her curl-bashing (she's even responded in the past!). I agree that this doesn't apply to mere mortals who are not trying to sell themselves to millionares, but that doesn't make it any less offensive (she has matched boy toys with rich women too, btw). I just hate that kind of cheapening of relationships.

Also, what's with the "Silky Asian hair has been in for the last 100 years, probably for the history of style." What are you talking about lady?! Then why do we have perms and curling irons?! She's old enough to remember the 80s. Also, if you look at statues and and paintings, how often do you see straight hair?! It seems like a fairly modern thing. I am also a little disgusted with the"silky asian hair" thing. Way to f*t*shize an entire race :rolleyes:.

RitaPG
August 15th, 2011, 07:19 PM
That lady has a rather biased and superficial opinion. She is no matchmaker, she teaches women how to become the blow up trophy dolls that multi-millionares enjoy waling around with.
Real men like them curvy :eyebrows:

citadel
August 15th, 2011, 07:45 PM
What?? :steam

Plus, girls who overly straighten their hair look awful, IMO. You know the look, too. The ends are layered and/or fried, and their hair looks fake straight. It's so straight you know she worked on it for a good hour or more, and it just sort of lays on her head. I don't like it because even if you have thick hair, it just hangs there and looks...blah.

I kind of think comments like this are not beneficial to a "love yourself" ideology. It's like when someone on the web comments, "Men only like thin girls" and you get hundreds of comments afterward bashing thin girls and throwing around superficial phrases like, "real men love CURVES" and "no man wants a stick!"

Some girls have naturally straight hair that is beautiful. Some girls have naturally curly or wavy hair that looks equally as beautiful. Trashing another person's hair doesn't make one's hair superior.

AlabasterAlice
August 15th, 2011, 07:50 PM
I kind of think comments like this are not beneficial to a "love yourself" ideology. It's like when someone on the web comments, "Men only like thin girls" and you get hundreds of comments afterward bashing thin girls and throwing around superficial phrases like, "real men love CURVES" and "no man wants a stick!"

Some girls have naturally straight hair that is beautiful. Some girls have naturally curly or wavy hair that looks equally as beautiful. Trashing another person's hair doesn't make one's hair superior.
I wasn't commenting on women with naturally straight hair, and I had thought I had made that clear enough. I apologize if I didn't. I am talking about the girls and women who feel the need to run a straightener through their hair over and over and over until it just...gives up. I've watched friends of mine do it when I was younger and had a sleep over, and I got very worried when I saw what looked like smoke coming from their hair, and smelled burnt hair. In the end the hair just looks limp and sad. And that is what I mean by over straightened hair.

Lollipop
August 15th, 2011, 07:54 PM

I second this.
Truly, there is nothing wrong with straightening or curling hair. Whatever floats your boat :shrug:. It really only gets problematic when people like that "matchmaker" try to say that straight hair is the only option, the right option, and that therefore all other ways are undesirable.

ETA: didn't see the reply above.

TrudieCat
August 15th, 2011, 07:54 PM
I am not sure I would want to be attracting the kind of men she is trying to tell you how to get.

Yep. Me neither.

Ok, now I'm definitely not going to try out for this show! I was already leaning toward no, but that article was the clincher.

Straight hair has been in style for 100 years? I guess I'm older than I thought because I can clearly remember scores of girls drooling over curly hair and running out to get perms by the droves.

Seriously, me too! :rolleyes: I could swear the 80s happened less than 100 years ago....

QueenJoey
August 15th, 2011, 07:55 PM
What does she know? I read once that she's never been married, so what makes her think she has the key to marriage if she has zilch personal experience?

citadel
August 15th, 2011, 07:57 PM
I wasn't commenting on women with naturally straight hair, and I had thought I had made that clear enough. I apologize if I didn't. I am talking about the girls and women who feel the need to run a straightener through their hair over and over and over until it just...gives up. I've watched friends of mine do it when I was younger and had a sleep over, and I got very worried when I saw what looked like smoke coming from their hair, and smelled burnt hair. In the end the hair just looks limp and sad. And that is what I mean by over straightened hair.

I get that you weren't trying to insult naturally straight hair, but then what about women who curl their hair or who get perms? Is their hair also "sad" and "burnt", or because it's some form of curly, it's okay?

I'm not trying to be confrontational just for the sake of it--believe me. I do just wish that more women would just let other women do what they want with their looks/style without imposing a personal standard on each other. I don't favor a crisp, straight, dry look, either, but as women have pointed out on this forum hundreds of times, there are plenty of people in their lives who don't appreciate their hair "lifestyle", either. In the same way that members here take offense to people looking down on their choices, I just don't feel like we should start doing the same to other people.

Katurday
August 15th, 2011, 08:10 PM
What does she know? I read once that she's never been married, so what makes her think she has the key to marriage if she has zilch personal experience?
She got married like a year ago - and made it a point to boast on the show how she got married.

That being said, she is frequently telling women on the show to tone down their achievements and be more submissive. She's completely nuts. Every time someone gets on the show and has a career and their own millions, she tells them they have a "masculine" energy men don't like. She frequently bullies her clients into dating people they are not into because its "good" for them. Of all the time I've watched her show (I enjoy being pissed off) she hasn't had a good match once.

She's full of crap.

racrane
August 15th, 2011, 08:11 PM
I haven't followed the whole thread, but like others already know - different people have different preferences. Be yourself and there will definitely be people who love you for you. This extends to looks and personality and values.

AnqeIicDemise
August 15th, 2011, 08:17 PM
The whole article offended me as a woman.

GRU
August 15th, 2011, 08:17 PM
I'm a redheaded curly, and I have to LMAO at this person's opinions.

Back in my dating days, I had more than one occasion when two different guys would bring me flowers on the same day, or I'd have an afternoon date with one guy and an evening date with another.

Guys date the woman, not the look.

Same for women... I stopped dating a guy b/c he was sweet as all get out, perfect gentleman, perfect body -- but dumber than a box of rocks. I couldn't carry on a conversation with the guy b/c he was just too dense. Yeah, he looked pretty, but who wants to just look at a guy all night long and never talk? :confused:

Anje
August 15th, 2011, 08:22 PM
Oh dear. How did I ever end up married to a non-Irish man?

dRummie
August 15th, 2011, 08:27 PM
I haven't read the whole thread, so apologies if this had been said, but the article is worded very poorly. It's offensive largely because of the generalizations: e.g. "men", "men who are wealthy". Replace all those in the article with "my millionaires", and it suddenly sounds a lot better.
I don't see a reason to get upset, because all she is doing is speaking for her clientele, not men, or millionaires, in general (but obviously emphasizing such a restriction isn't going to get your article as widely read). I can completely believe that all the men she caters to really do prefer these things, because the only men who would request her services in the first place would be the ones who prefer the sort of woman she can deliver.

SoulOfTheSea
August 15th, 2011, 08:30 PM
I haven't read the whole thread, so apologies if this had been said, but the article is worded very poorly. It's offensive largely because of the generalizations: e.g. "men", "men who are wealthy". Replace all those in the article with "my millionaires", and it suddenly sounds a lot better.
I don't see a reason to get upset, because all she is doing is speaking for her clientele, not men, or millionaires, in general (but obviously emphasizing such a restriction isn't going to get your article as widely read). I can completely believe that all the men she caters to really do prefer these things, because the only men who would request her services in the first place would be the ones who prefer the sort of woman she can deliver.

True that.

adiapalic
August 15th, 2011, 08:30 PM

My sentiments exactly. :rolleyes:

irishlady
August 15th, 2011, 08:33 PM
Ugh I couldn't even read it all, I'm so offended!
My mother has beautiful red, curly hair, and I am so envious of her, it is my dream.

I am also very offended by this woman stereotyping Irish like that, as if she knows all about that.

Gosh this makes me angry :mad::mad::mad:

adiapalic
August 15th, 2011, 08:33 PM
She got married like a year ago - and made it a point to boast on the show how she got married.

That being said, she is frequently telling women on the show to tone down their achievements and be more submissive. She's completely nuts. Every time someone gets on the show and has a career and their own millions, she tells them they have a "masculine" energy men don't like. She frequently bullies her clients into dating people they are not into because its "good" for them. Of all the time I've watched her show (I enjoy being pissed off) she hasn't had a good match once.

She's full of crap.

Ever notice how people with their own shows who give terrible advice get such high ratings, *and* are really popular? There you go.

It's a good marketing ploy.

irishlady
August 15th, 2011, 08:36 PM
Ever notice how people with their own shows who give terrible advice get such high ratings, *and* are really popular? There you go.

It's a good marketing ploy.

Reminds of Tyra Banks butchering that girl's hair, claiming it was good advice...

SoulOfTheSea
August 15th, 2011, 08:38 PM
Reminds of Tyra Banks butchering that girl's hair, claiming it was good advice...

When I saw that episode... I'm almost cried. D:

Lollipop
August 15th, 2011, 08:55 PM
When I saw that episode... I'm almost cried. D:

Is this about ANTM or the episode of her show when a girl with long, straight hair came in for a change and Tyra cut her hair and loaded it up with dry shampoo? BTW, what qualifies her to cut hair?! When the girl came back out with her hair styled I was just a little baffled since it didn't really seem to be a style that she would be able to replicate on her own. Nothing wrong with wanting a change, but it didn't seem that the girl's needs were considered (I think she was moving away for college or something?).

end hijack :p

Mesmerise
August 15th, 2011, 09:05 PM
Oh my...what a stupid article. Men don't like curly hair or red hair??! WTH? My husband used to tell me I should get a spiral perm (yeah like he** I'd do that...I love natural curls but errm...) and that he loves red hair. So errm... I'm not sure what fellas she's talking about here.

So she's telling women with natural curls to straighten, and redheads to dye their hair?? So they'll get a "millionaire"? Wow... I wouldn't wanna date a millionaire who would like me like that. And besides, I'm sure there are other things than my HAIR to worry about! (If her millionaires are that picky I guess they wouldn't like my chunky thighs or flabby belly either :p).

Anyway...there are probably articles I just shouldn't read cause they make my blood boil. This was one of them :p. Even though my natural hair is wavy rather than curly, and I'm naturally a brunette, I love my hennaed hair and I don't think red heads or curly heads are unattractive!!

Avienda
August 15th, 2011, 09:06 PM
well, if you notice, the artical had only one goal in mind. "To get laid". Dressing like a slutty little tramp will do exactly that and not much more which is pretty much what she explained to me. I've watched her show a couple times, and every single time I knew the couples wouldn't last much more then a few dates.

Henna_Goddess
August 15th, 2011, 09:06 PM
Bah..what does she know..she looks plastic anyway. ( Fake chest, fake hair, fake lips etc etc)

I don't know a man alive who doesn't LOVE a red head and even fewer who can handle one. ;)

Mesmerise
August 15th, 2011, 09:10 PM
well, if you notice, the artical had only one goal in mind. "To get laid". Dressing like a slutty little tramp will do exactly that and not much more which is pretty much what she explained to me. I've watched her show a couple times, and every single time I knew the couples wouldn't last much more then a few dates.

Yeah, and seriously how hard is it for girls with curly and/or red hair to get laid?? wth? I don't think she's much of an expert at all...pfft...

Besides which, if a guy is JUST after sex is he really gonna care THAT much about the girl's hair?

Yame
August 15th, 2011, 09:16 PM
When you go on a date, do you assume that the guy has his natural color hair and eyes and dressed himself? How would you feel after a dating him for a while you have a sleepover or see him fresh out of the shower and he has a different texture hair, different colored eyes, a trashed apartment, ugly clothes, etc? Aren't we doing the same thing when we change everything about our style and what makes us unique, just to impress someone?

Wow, beautifully said! Can I steal this quote and post it on my FB? (If so, let me know how you'd like it credited)

SoulOfTheSea
August 15th, 2011, 09:16 PM
Is this about ANTM or the episode of her show when a girl with long, straight hair came in for a change and Tyra cut her hair and loaded it up with dry shampoo? BTW, what qualifies her to cut hair?! When the girl came back out with her hair styled I was just a little baffled since it didn't really seem to be a style that she would be able to replicate on her own. Nothing wrong with wanting a change, but it didn't seem that the girl's needs were considered (I think she was moving away for college or something?).

end hijack :p

I'm not sure what ANTM stands for, lol, but the episode I'm talking about is where the girl has nearly floor or knee length straight hair, and she cut the ponytail off in front of the audience. Then, the girl went backstage for the final steps of the makeover and when she came out, she had a chin length bob and blunt bangs... I mean it did look pretty, but all that long hair.... I couldn't contain myself. :( I think it would have looked equally as pretty if they had cut it to waste length, but oh well, she seemed happy and so did her hubby. :)

redcelticcurls
August 15th, 2011, 09:42 PM
I haven't read the link, but it sounds like Patti Stanger from the comments here. I know enough of her views already.

Having had more *** than a toilet seat, I can tell you that plenty of men want the curly red headed woman.

Lollipop
August 15th, 2011, 09:57 PM
I'm not sure what ANTM stands for, lol, but the episode I'm talking about is where the girl has nearly floor or knee length straight hair, and she cut the ponytail off in front of the audience. Then, the girl went backstage for the final steps of the makeover and when she came out, she had a chin length bob and blunt bangs... I mean it did look pretty, but all that long hair.... I couldn't contain myself. :( I think it would have looked equally as pretty if they had cut it to waste length, but oh well, she seemed happy and so did her hubby. :)

Ah, Tyra makeovers. There have been several times where I've seen her cut hair really short (or tell a hairstylist too). At least the girl was happy :shrug:. Oh, and ANTM=America's Next Top Model (sorry bout that :o).

Seeshami
August 15th, 2011, 10:16 PM
I wonder how fake her hair is, should we really even listen or care what she thinks?

AlabasterAlice
August 15th, 2011, 10:27 PM
I get that you weren't trying to insult naturally straight hair, but then what about women who curl their hair or who get perms? Is their hair also "sad" and "burnt", or because it's some form of curly, it's okay?

I'm not trying to be confrontational just for the sake of it--believe me. I do just wish that more women would just let other women do what they want with their looks/style without imposing a personal standard on each other. I don't favor a crisp, straight, dry look, either, but as women have pointed out on this forum hundreds of times, there are plenty of people in their lives who don't appreciate their hair "lifestyle", either. In the same way that members here take offense to people looking down on their choices, I just don't feel like we should start doing the same to other people.
Ack. No. Not what I meant either. I realize you aren't trying to pick any fights here, and neither am I, but if you had asked for my opinion on overly permed or curled hair, you'd hear the same answer I gave for overly straightened hair. The only thing is that I see so many girls with fried straight hair, and they only do it for the reason that's what is considered "in" around here.

Also, it was my opinion. We're all entitled to those, aren't we? Like you said you do not favor the crisp dry style yourself. I was simply trying to explain this as well, but my words obviously got mixed up and came off in a more aggressive tone then I intended.

Regan
August 15th, 2011, 10:52 PM
my mom has her show on tv downstairs sometimes and I can't tell you how many times Patti makes me cringe. she's such a rude b*tch. and where does she get off telling people what is attractive? she's ugly as hell. that photo on the website is very, VERY photoshopped.

Merkaba
August 15th, 2011, 11:23 PM
You are all missing the key words that she said in this article: RICH MEN. And she is probably right- a rich man wants a woman who can wear what is on the edge of fashion, and fashion right now leans to straight or slightly wavy hair. In addition, what she said about curly hair rarely looking good is somewhat true- especially if you are a rich woman who is using commercial products on curls that she does not know how to care for. Easier to go to the salon and get it straightened while sipping champagne, no?

In addition she is simply stating what she has observed. She does meet a lot of men and if the majority of them say they prefer women with straight hair, or consistently choose them when she has her mixers then she is just saying what she sees.

I am SO tired of women slamming other women for their opinions just because it hurts their feelings.

Helix
August 15th, 2011, 11:28 PM
http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg324/worshipmeonly/KPOP%20Macros%20and%20GIFs/whitneygtgt.gif

Mairéad
August 15th, 2011, 11:38 PM
http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg324/worshipmeonly/KPOP%20Macros%20and%20GIFs/whitneygtgt.gif

LOL! Amazing.

MoonCreature
August 15th, 2011, 11:57 PM
That's not a guide for dating wealthy men, that's a guide on how to blend into the masses, loose all your personality and get laid with a wealthy man that doesn't want anything else than sex. Oh and you get some jewlery too. If that's what your after, fine.

If that picture is of her and she represents what she thinks a wealthy man wants, I really don't want to be what a wealthy man wants...

C.H.
August 15th, 2011, 11:58 PM
I never thought about it that way, that was quite genius how you worded that just now. It makes me think twice about wanting to wear any makeup (not like I wear much anyways), and think twice about my first impressions. It would be just awful if that were to happen with a man, so now I can see how most men feel about women from that perspective. I can truly relate to this because I used to straighten my hair everyday when I was younger... Every. Day. And I had past waist-length hair. I thought I was helping myself by doing that, when in fact everyone liked my natural hair better. It took me years to love my own texture, and a lot of it was with help from this website. :) (back when I was a lurker :o ) Thank you so much LHC for helping me love my natural texture, I couldn't have done it without you, and I'm sure so many others of you feel the same way, all hair textures are beautiful, and this website helps every woman and man realize and nurture it! :joy:

For this reason, I have a policy of not ever going out of my way to look my best in dating situations. If I were to set up a dating profile, I would not use my most flattering pictures. On an actual date, low-key, but flattering clothes, everday hair, and lite makeup (tinted moisturizer, mascara, lip gloss). I want a man who will find me sexy and beautiful in my natural everyday state. And if I get to wow him at some point down the line by pulling out all the stops for a special occasion, that's great, but I'll know that's not the version of me he fell for.

Eire
August 16th, 2011, 12:12 AM
What a racist article. She's blatantly claiming that Asian hair is more appealing to more people than Irish hair (many Irish people are naturally curly redheads - as someone who was an Irish dancer for a decade years and is half Irish, I've seen my share).

So, essentially, rich men of all sorts like Asian hair, but no one likes Irish hair but Irish men? What a dope. It's not even true...

katsrevenge
August 16th, 2011, 12:16 AM
The whole article offended me as a woman.

100 times. This!

Ack. No. Not what I meant either. I realize you aren't trying to pick any fights here, and neither am I, but if you had asked for my opinion on overly permed or curled hair, you'd hear the same answer I gave for overly straightened hair. The only thing is that I see so many girls with fried straight hair, and they only do it for the reason that's what is considered "in" around here.

Also, it was my opinion. We're all entitled to those, aren't we? Like you said you do not favor the crisp dry style yourself. I was simply trying to explain this as well, but my words obviously got mixed up and came off in a more aggressive tone then I intended.

I think most people here would say over processed hair just Doesn't look good. Or maybe it's just you and I. Either way, options are like bums, we all have one! :poot:

Mesmerise
August 16th, 2011, 12:29 AM
In addition she is simply stating what she has observed. She does meet a lot of men and if the majority of them say they prefer women with straight hair, or consistently choose them when she has her mixers then she is just saying what she sees.

I am SO tired of women slamming other women for their opinions just because it hurts their feelings.

Yes, but is it really necessary for her to trash other women just because they don't meet up to some sort of stupid standard? If she's going to write insulting articles, she deserves to get rubbished for it IMHO.

CariadA
August 16th, 2011, 12:30 AM
Yeah, this article is the worst.

First of all, she is talking about how to get a wealthy man. It's not at all about finding love or happiness, just a man with money.

Then she makes very broad, racist statements.

As a straight-haired brunette, I still find this offensive. I find her offensive.

Most male friends of mine love red hair. And many love curly hair. This is ridiculous.

pink.sara
August 16th, 2011, 12:40 AM
This article only scratches the surface of her shallowness. On her tv show she has been telling women all sorts of horrible BS ranging from "you may have a beautiful face but you are 10lbs overweight, come back when you've had lipo" to "I can't do much for women over 45, and if they're overweight, it's almost impossible." She told another woman to take off her wig; then she suggested she come back after she got hair extensions.
This from some plastic wannabe that has never been married?

Horrid woman.

Springlets
August 16th, 2011, 12:45 AM
It's probably been said before but I feel quite sure that her hair is naturally wavy/curly from the way it looks overly straight. There's obviously a lot of self hate going on there (but frankly I don't really give a damn, 'cause she should know better then).

TealDolphin
August 16th, 2011, 01:03 AM
Heres a Facebook Page about it: http://www.facebook.com/pages/No-More-Curl-Bashing/170333499644835?sk=info

Gypsygirl
August 16th, 2011, 01:07 AM
Gee...what about personality? And...everything natural is beautiful!!!

Avital88
August 16th, 2011, 01:12 AM
whaha in which little bubble is she living?

TealDolphin
August 16th, 2011, 01:19 AM
Here's a reply she sent out via twitter to the protests: "Ok, naturally&#160;curly bunch. I like stylish curly/wavy hair, but my millionaire men don't. So, go buy a flat iron at www.beautychoice.com. xo"

Gypsygirl
August 16th, 2011, 01:22 AM
Well, that explains a lot. I wonder how much they are paying her. ;)

clarinette
August 16th, 2011, 01:32 AM
Yeah I've heard her say that on the show many times....Always thought it was ridiculous, even pre LHC, I have always longed for curls, they make the shine so much more obvious! love curls
<3

clarinette
August 16th, 2011, 01:37 AM
Having had more *** than a toilet seat, I can tell you that plenty of men want the curly red headed woman.

Haha fantastic comment, made me giggle :D

Athena's Owl
August 16th, 2011, 01:49 AM
uh, i'm supposed to take dating advice from a panderer for rich jerks?

Okay.

MagicAndMayhem
August 16th, 2011, 02:05 AM
This article should be renamed "how to look like a typical strumpet/75&#37; of the girls that attend my college." Rolled my eyes and moved on.

fluffybunny
August 16th, 2011, 02:26 AM
Well, I guess those might indeed be useful pointers if you aspire to be a trophy wife.

I could barely get past the picture-- I assume that's the author? I just really hate the style she's sporting there with the trifecta of fake hair, fake lips, and fake boobs. It's hard for me to see the human being under that. Sadly enough, that's the female 'success look' nowadays, and I see it over and over in the wealthier communities here in So Cal.

Nat242
August 16th, 2011, 02:46 AM
The obsessive policing of women's bodies exhibited in the linked article is disgusting and deeply disturbing, but it's also troubling that some people in this very thread are engaged in the same sort of body policing, except towards Vidya Rao and women who have have this certain "look". I've never seen Vidya's show, but based on what she's written I'm sure we could find plenty to criticise without resorting to her appearance.

We don't have to like every look, and we are allowed to have opinions, but it bothers me that a certain sort of commentary on women's bodies is condemned, and alternative commentary, snarking at other women's bodies, is okay. It's not okay to call women unattractive because of their red hair and curls, but it is okay to call other women ugly, plasticky, strumpets, fake, to use dehumanising descriptions like cyborgs and blow up trophy dolls, because they have made different choices about their appearance, or succumbed to the pressure of conventional beauty standards that others were able to resist?

Either it's okay for women's bodies to be subjected to this sort of public scrutiny, snark, and contempt, or it's *not*. I'm in the "not" camp. I don't like every look out there, by any means, and I'm deeply concerned about how much pressure there is on everyone, but especially women, to conform to a certain "look", but I try very hard not to pass comment or be snarky or leap to judgements about that person's worth, intellect, sexual behaviour, or how interesting they might be, because they naturally or by design *do* conform to that look. I work hard at finding a way to be okay with my appearance and the choices I make about said appearance without being hard on women who have made different choices (or who may not have been aware that they HAD choices). Body policing hurts us all, I don't think we should engage in it to make ourselves feel better about our bodies, or for funsies, or because someone's ideas p*ss us off.

Ishje
August 16th, 2011, 02:52 AM
This article should be renamed "how to look like a typical strumpet/75&#37; of the girls that attend my college." Rolled my eyes and moved on.

yes, this totally!

(even though I find it hard not to be annoyed by it though, I am glad there are alway's some people who do not follow the flock)

Alaia
August 16th, 2011, 02:56 AM
I just find that really funny.

Over here the "millionaire" men tend to go for the same sort of women... if they want a quick **** or a trophy wife.

Funny how most of them end up settling down with women that are totally different. :lol:

Blond On Blond
August 16th, 2011, 03:12 AM
Why would anyone be offended by this is beyond me. I had a good chuckle. Who cares what some people think? It's not like she's the god of acceptable appearance.

This said I, Blond on Blond, while leaping to the bathroom to straighten my hair in case a millionaire knocks on my door at 4 in the morning. Oh hell, I forgot that I:
1. Already have a DH.
2. Don't have a straightening iron :D

Coco Loco
August 16th, 2011, 03:14 AM
And frankly, if you have to change who you are to get a man, that man's not worth having.

:)Well put:)

jojo
August 16th, 2011, 03:15 AM
I wonder why the author of this tripe is single??? mmmmmmm!

What a load of balls!

Charybdis
August 16th, 2011, 03:26 AM
I'm offended not just as a wurly-hair, but as a human being. Eww eww ewwww. That article is all about women looking for a meal ticket (the matrimonial form of prostitution) and men who want an insecure, brainless, easily manipulated Barbie doll to hang off their arm. Yuck.

All the men I've dated have wanted a woman who is (a) smart, (b) low-maintenance, and (c) cute -- in that order. Men who want to date a phony cypher of a human being? Not worth dating. Doesn't matter how much money they have.

drquartz1970
August 16th, 2011, 03:48 AM
This little article is utter garbage ! I'm offended because I do have naturally curly hair and it is showing how shallow this woman is to be anti-curls and anti-red heads.

I'd rather date a real women instead of some life-like barbie doll. And personality is more important to mature people then just a pretty face! Where does she get this silly idea that women with wild curly hair are less attractive then their limp-tressed sisters! A low maintenance girl who is happy in her own skin is far more attractive to the eye then some girl who spends too much time on her looks. (from a guy's point of view!)

These millionaires who are romantically challenged as she claims sound like they are just too ficky when it comes to finding love.

Another reason not to waste too much time on commercial media IMHO. They are way out of touch with reality!

Viechen
August 16th, 2011, 04:35 AM
omg she makes me mad!! Im not curly but I have redish hair (naturally, now enhanced with Henna) and GAAAAAHHH, I have gotten sooo many compliments from guys that think the red is hot1 (not bragging, just saying). My goodness, I bet she is single because with that attitude no man would be able to stand being around her for longer than 5 minutes

*end rant* sorry if it got out of hand...

Neneka
August 16th, 2011, 04:44 AM
I feel disgusted after reading that article. It's rubbish and who would like to date a man who would like to date women like that and so on. That kind of people are just not normal and at the end maybe it's good that they go for each other like that and we normal people don't have to deal with them. :p

jackie_brown
August 16th, 2011, 05:10 AM
While i was reading the article, i couldn't help thinking about "Pretty Woman" movie :)
A curly, redhead, poor woman that meet and made a millionaire fall in love with her :)
I think Julia Roberts was (or still is) a sex symbol for men all over the world, thanks to her hair too

Gypsygirl
August 16th, 2011, 05:16 AM
These millionaires who are romantically challenged as she claims sound like they are just too ficky when it comes to finding love.

My thoughts exactly...and really...if they really are that shallow then I am not surprised they are romantically challenged. LOL My hair is naturally pretty straight and I am blonde...but even if those guys were the last men on earth I wouldn't dream of dating one of them.

Automne
August 16th, 2011, 05:39 AM
Wow it made me laugh.. How narrow-minded she is! I dont need to straighten my hair to find guys... Lol Well anyway, " only irish like red-hair" how stupid that comment is! It's the silliest article I have ever read. But I guess I wont find a millionaire!

MonaMayfair
August 16th, 2011, 05:40 AM
That's the biggest pile of **** I've read for a long time! Who IS this woman???

How can anyone possibly generalize about "what men like" or "what women like"??
HELLO, we're all different!

At least the article serves a purpose - we now know we won't go far wrong if we do the opposite of everything she suggests ( or rather, dictates)
It's too ludicrous to be offensive in my opinion - what kind of moron would take it seriously?

Incidentally, my dream hair would be curly and red. I'm sooo envious of people who have that naturally and don't have to henna and articificially curl like I do to achieve that desirable look!

Altocumulus
August 16th, 2011, 05:50 AM
The obsessive policing of women's bodies exhibited in the linked article is disgusting and deeply disturbing, but it's also troubling that some people in this very thread are engaged in the same sort of body policing, except towards Vidya Rao and women who have have this certain "look". I've never seen Vidya's show, but based on what she's written I'm sure we could find plenty to criticise without resorting to her appearance.

We don't have to like every look, and we are allowed to have opinions, but it bothers me that a certain sort of commentary on women's bodies is condemned, and alternative commentary, snarking at other women's bodies, is okay. It's not okay to call women unattractive because of their red hair and curls, but it is okay to call other women ugly, plasticky, strumpets, fake, to use dehumanising descriptions like cyborgs and blow up trophy dolls, because they have made different choices about their appearance, or succumbed to the pressure of conventional beauty standards that others were able to resist?

Either it's okay for women's bodies to be subjected to this sort of public scrutiny, snark, and contempt, or it's *not*. I'm in the "not" camp. I don't like every look out there, by any means, and I'm deeply concerned about how much pressure there is on everyone, but especially women, to conform to a certain "look", but I try very hard not to pass comment or be snarky or leap to judgements about that person's worth, intellect, sexual behaviour, or how interesting they might be, because they naturally or by design *do* conform to that look. I work hard at finding a way to be okay with my appearance and the choices I make about said appearance without being hard on women who have made different choices (or who may not have been aware that they HAD choices). Body policing hurts us all, I don't think we should engage in it to make ourselves feel better about our bodies, or for funsies, or because someone's ideas p*ss us off.

Thank you! :applause

julliams
August 16th, 2011, 06:04 AM
Good thing I'm not looking for a wealthy man then.... (wavy strawberry blonde - happily married.)

CornishMaid
August 16th, 2011, 06:08 AM
Oh my! Who IS that woman? Never heard of her, I especially don't like that she thinks a womans "wares" should be on display....."how do you expect to get laid" ...blah blah blah. My goodness, I thought dating was all about finding your soul partner/ future husband etc. She makes it sound so..contrived....so ....I dont know...."dont wear your diamonds on a date, he will have nothing to buy you". But I think the same thing can be applied to modesty ( or lack of, ha ha) if you go on a date displaying most of your body, there is no mystery, its all there to see. She however, advocates women with good legs wearing a mini skirt, just dont wear your diamonds :)
Just my personal view, I disagree with her views on a number of things, hair colour and curl included.

Othala
August 16th, 2011, 06:14 AM
What utter crass, cheapo, demeaning rubbish.

jujube
August 16th, 2011, 06:16 AM
J.Lo and Kim Kardashian are great examples of women who know how to show off their curves and we should all take a page from them.

Yes, Kim Kardashian is known for her high-class looks and manners. Definitely taking style tips from her. *takes off half the clothes and goes put on fake straight hair - can I get laid now?*

Scarlet_Heart
August 16th, 2011, 06:24 AM
Uh... I don't have curly hair so I can't speak to that (although my dad always had a thing for women with curly hair).

But I can definitely tell you... men like redheads. For sure. ;)

newbeginning
August 16th, 2011, 06:28 AM
Why is she a matchmaker when all she seems to talk about is what will get you laid not have a relationship?

newbeginning
August 16th, 2011, 06:31 AM

Yeah it's probably true that the porn star look is popular. Some Barbie doll to show off and be proof of your wealth (clothes, surgery, jewelry, etc.).

metricfuture
August 16th, 2011, 06:34 AM
Man, my hispanic/dutch SO is gonna be pretty shocked when he finds out that he's actually been Irish all this time...

dragonchickx
August 16th, 2011, 06:52 AM
Wow sounds like a really biased article.. Im not a curly haired person but that sort of offends me.. but I do have red hair and would like a little more explaination as to why men that makes millions of dollars not like redheds? so if they make 999,999$ than theyd give it a shot lol. Kinda fishy to me, but shes a women and she can't read men's minds!

LadyCelestina
August 16th, 2011, 07:01 AM
I seriously don&#180;t get why people freak out so much over this.
So some guys ( and SOME women,obviously ) don&#180;t like redheads and curlies. Others do.

I&#180;m a curlie and the article doesn&#180;t offend me at all.

PinkyCat
August 16th, 2011, 07:07 AM
I'm over Patty Stanger. SHE can't even get a man!
Me & my curls got one - and he's AMAZING. :cool:

ktani
August 16th, 2011, 07:15 AM
The article and comments are designed to stir up controversy to generate publicity to generate ratings which generate profits.

It is all about money!

The entire thing from trying to get women to redo themselves for a specific demographic with specific tastes for a specific hair type and colour to me is hilarious and not something I would take seriously for a moment.

It is meant to be offensive in my opinion. That way people will talk about it and tune in to see what the fuss is all about.

Cania
August 16th, 2011, 07:16 AM
I think people on here saying that this really is what millionaires want are being completely unfair. It implies that every man who earns over a certain amount suddenly becomes very shallow and only wants what might be considered a "trophy wife".

I'm sure there are many millionaires who likes straight hair, and don't like redheads in the slightest. I'm also sure that there are millionaires who loves curly, red hair. There are plenty of men with a lot of money who are simply looking for a woman who can see past the wealth and will love them for who they are - I'm sure many of those men would ignore their preferences to be with someone they loved for their personality.

Whether you agree with her opinions or not (which I don't) you must admit that Stanger is terribly rude and seems to consider herself "above" others. I don't think that's a quality that many men find attractive.

RavennaNight
August 16th, 2011, 07:17 AM
As a WOMAN I am offended by the article.

GRU
August 16th, 2011, 07:19 AM
Why is she a matchmaker when all she seems to talk about is what will get you laid not have a relationship?

Actually, I think the term for that profession would be "pimp" or "madam"! :lol:

Sweet Beat
August 16th, 2011, 07:22 AM
Really crappy article if you ask me. I mean, it seems from the article like all the men are looking for in a woman is the outside, a plastic one where every girl look the same and all the men want the same kind of girl. Curlies and redheads are beautiful, just as everyone else! Everyone is beautiful in their own unique way inside and out, end of discussion.

noelgirl
August 16th, 2011, 07:30 AM
I wouldn't hire a contractor whose own house is falling apart, so . . . I'll stick to my wurls and boho wardrobe!

Lollipop
August 16th, 2011, 07:37 AM
This doesn't offend me as a curly, or as someone that uses henna (although my hair is very dark). It offends as a woman and as a human being. I have no respect for the type of gold-digging and hollow relationships that she promotes. I am disgusted that she operates under the guise of helping people find "love". While she did say that she is just a "distributor", and this is what her millionares like, it doesn't change the fact that she is catering to that shallow market. I would feel the same way if she were telling all her girls to perm their hair and dye it red.

Crysta
August 16th, 2011, 07:37 AM
I wouldn't touch that woman with a barge pole.

Superficially - she looks pretty damn ugly to me, so whatever she says is beautiful - i'm not going to listen anyway. Attraction is relative.

Yes lollipop, I completely agree! I find it hard to let things like this bother me, [I'm very lucky in that I don't care] but if it did it would be for that reason. I guess only shallow people will listen to her anyway.

Copasetic
August 16th, 2011, 07:40 AM
I have seen a couple of episodes of "Millionaire Matchmaker" and really wish I hadn't. That woman has a lot of messed up views on relationships in dating.

swetiepeti
August 16th, 2011, 08:08 AM
Guess I am going to put my virtual flame suit on. I can't say I disagree with her. The men she represents may have money, but remember they had to hire her to match them. Not because they are looking for the perfect relationship, but they are looking for their idea of the perfect wife, and she is tall, slender, long straight blonde or brunette hair, well spoken but not outspoken, can make casual conversation with a variety of people, nonoffensive and a perfect foil for him. The perfect wife won't mind if he's gone most days and perhaps weeks every month. She'll flex her schedule to fit his and oh, she'll do most of the child rearing. The matchmaker is only telling you what her market desires.

alyanna
August 16th, 2011, 08:14 AM
Oh I can't believe I missed this thread!

I've seen one or two episodes of this show and this Patti character is in no way qualified to give beauty or dating (or getting laid) advice in my opinion. Her show is meant for entertainment/ratings and is not meant to be taken seriously. But we all know that, right?

I did do a double take though when on one of the episodes she lectured this very attractive woman about her curly hair. I was like, "what planet are you on" and I still remember this episode because I couldn't get over her advice about straightening curly hair. In my experience, curlies can get "some" just fine.

Agree with this. Just because someone has straight hair, big boobs and is tanned, does not mean they're fake or plasticky or a ho either.

Another line of discussion that I find perplexing is that many comments talk about how her show is intended for millionaires anyway and that somehow that demographic is only interested in the fake plasticky types. That's untrue as well!

Just because a guy is rich does not mean he only wants Barbie dolls. Most "millionaires' are not the stereotypical, flaky, fake men. And most, but not all, are at least smart enough to have made those millions and would therefore appreciate "real" women. Of course, if you're expected to attend certain kinds of social events and outings, you gotta clean up well, but that doesn't mean you have to be a Barbie doll. It's more about being able to look your best and fitting into a certain world, which has less to do with the most superficial details like curls or a tan, and more to do with overall good presentation.

But no one wants to hear that truth on The Millionaire Matchmaker. Not as interesting for the ratings.

Lollipop
August 16th, 2011, 08:16 AM
Guess I am going to put my virtual flame suit on. I can't say I disagree with her. The men she represents may have money, but remember they had to hire her to match them. Not because they are looking for the perfect relationship, but they are looking for their idea of the perfect wife, and she is tall, slender, long straight blonde or brunette hair, well spoken but not outspoken, can make casual conversation with a variety of people, nonoffensive and a perfect foil for him. The perfect wife won't mind if he's gone most days and perhaps weeks every month. She'll flex her schedule to fit his and oh, she'll do most of the child rearing. The matchmaker is only telling you what her market desires.

I wonder how many of her relationships are successful. And not even by "normal" people's standards of a healthy and loving marriage, but based on their expectations. I have seen a few episodes of her show (honestly wish I hadn't), and to me it seems like she sets up casual affairs rather than marriages. Although I've never been a fan of the whole marrying for money thing :shrug:.

Merewen
August 16th, 2011, 08:35 AM
Forget being offended as a curly. I'm offended as a woman. Actually, strike that. I'm offended as a human being.

swetiepeti
August 16th, 2011, 08:58 AM
(honestly wish I hadn't), and to me it seems like she sets up casual affairs rather than marriages. Although I've never been a fan of the whole marrying for money thing .[/quote]

People marry for a variety of reasons and as long as they are both satisfied with what they receivd then who am I to judge? Not for me as it appears it's not for you either.

Told one of my friends that was planning to marry for money that it would be some of the hardest money she ever earned. She believes me now but is still happy with her choice. They've now been married about 15 years.

archel
August 16th, 2011, 09:17 AM
There is no money in the world worth being married to someone you're not compatible with! I prefer to let things happen naturally...

Neneka
August 16th, 2011, 09:18 AM
Have you googled the word "trophy wife"... I think that everyone should live like they want but majority of us doesn't want to live like that. I read all your comments and I read that article again... Well, it's for becoming a trophy wife. If you don't want live like this, you should not be offended:

http://www.google.fi/search?hl=fi&q=trophy+wife&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=232l2267l0l2678l11l10l0l0l0l0l208l1613l1.7. 2l10l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1366&bih=675&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi

The article was not about normal people after all..

elbow chic
August 16th, 2011, 09:29 AM
At least she's being honest. I can't stand when people go, "just be yourself, and Mr. Perfect will come along." Not if you have a very specific idea of Mr. Perfect, he won't. lol. Love might be a little nearsighted but it ain't blind.

Ah, status-striving.

Babyfine
August 16th, 2011, 09:32 AM
I permed my hair into spiral ringlets throughout the 80's and early 90's which was during my prime dating years. I never lacked for dates, including a few men that had money. And of course, met and married my hubby with curls.
And my hubby thinks red hair is hot! I don't have it naturally but have colored my hair auburn in the past.
Besides, why do so many romance novel heroines(and celebrities) have red hair if men don't think red hair is attractive? I'm sorry, this woman is crazy.

Leena7
August 16th, 2011, 09:32 AM
Well a guy I used to see preferred my hair curly. Once he asked me if I would get a perm (I said no, but still)

Kaelee
August 16th, 2011, 09:35 AM
Forget being offended as a curly. I'm offended as a woman. Actually, strike that. I'm offended as a human being.

THIS. I thought the same thing.

elbow chic
August 16th, 2011, 09:44 AM
I permed my hair into spiral ringlets throughout the 80's and early 90's which was during my prime dating years. I never lacked for dates, including a few men that had money. And of course, met and married my hubby with curls.
And my hubby thinks red hair is hot! I don't have it naturally but have colored my hair auburn in the past.
Besides, why do so many romance novel heroines(and celebrities) have red hair if men don't think red hair is attractive? I'm sorry, this woman is crazy.

Right? I think a lot of dudes love redheads in that special, terrified plz-don't-eat-me kind of way. :laugh:

Anyway, I think dating is the intersection of raw sexual attraction and status-signaling, and probably the higher-status the people involved, the harder you have to work at the latter. Especially if you're looking to marry "up."

It's funny how men are so often really influenced by whatever the fashion of the time is. They say Chinese men way back in the day would never consider a woman whose foot had not been broken and bound to well under four inches; there's nothing "natural" about that widespread ******... it was just a status/fashion thing that had gotten way out of hand.

Fortunately (for me) I think the straight-hair obsession is on its way out.

JuliaDancer
August 16th, 2011, 09:46 AM
I don't understand the part where she says straight Asian hair has been popular for the last 100 years. The last 100 years in Asia? Because it hasn't been in the US, where her show is based. It wasn't popular to start wearing your hair straight and down until the 1960s, as far as I know. If you were stylish, curling and heavy styling was the way to go. Victorian age people considered straight haired girls boring or stern. Everyone curled their hair to death! This article is extremely shallow and definitely for the men who like the Playboy model type, not someone they'll actually have a meaningful relationship with. Really, who cares what she thinks?

Amber_Maiden
August 16th, 2011, 10:09 AM
OMG.
I guess it makes sense why all my bfs have been of Scot/Irish decent? ROFL.

Amber_Maiden
August 16th, 2011, 10:15 AM
I'm actually offended by the whole article. Don't dress boho??? If you have to do all this stuff WHY WOULD YOU WANT A RICH GUY?! Like seriously, why??? If you can't be yourself???!!!:mad:

archel
August 16th, 2011, 10:17 AM
Men don't like redheads? Two words: Christina Hendricks.

Caldonia Sun
August 16th, 2011, 10:50 AM
IDK, my stepdaughter has gorgeous back ringlets and she was called a goddess by the guys in high school.

C.H.
August 16th, 2011, 11:10 AM
I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but the first time I wore my hair curly to work, *several* of my male coworkers--who had never before commented on my hair--admiringly told me how much they like it. To an extent that made me think hey, was my hair chopped liver before? Then again, they're not relationship-challenged millionaires, so...

Caldonia Sun
August 16th, 2011, 11:18 AM
I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but the first time I wore my hair curly to work, *several* of my male coworkers--who had never before commented on my hair--admiringly told me how much they like it. To an extent that made me think hey, was my hair chopped liver before? Then again, they're not relationship-challenged millionaires, so...

And boy, are they ever! Most of the men I've seen on there are horribly shallow, selfish and egotistical. They may have money, but they certainly don't display much character. Maybe this is the price of being a trophy wife.

Charybdis
August 16th, 2011, 11:22 AM
I think most millionaires don't need to go on television to find a wife. Just sayin'. There's a reason why those guys need a professional matchmaker.

C.H.
August 16th, 2011, 12:09 PM
And boy, are they ever! Most of the men I've seen on there are horribly shallow, selfish and egotistical. They may have money, but they certainly don't display much character. Maybe this is the price of being a trophy wife.

Yes. The price of being a trophy wife is having to be married to the kind of man who wants a trophy wife.

Medusa
August 16th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Yes. The price of being a trophy wife is having to be married to the kind of man who wants a trophy wife.

So much this. And when the looks fade, he'll dump you for a younger, hotter version - because the type of women who buy into this vapid, superficial nonsense don't care what he looks like or how old he is or what a jerk he is, she's just after the bucks, even if she's 20 and he's 60, and he knows he can upgrade to a better model even though he's old and a jerk because the young'uns throw themselves at him. The only reason I hate this type of baloney is because it feeds into (young) women's insecurities and promotes unhealthy self images. Personally, I don't give a rat's behind what this woman thinks of my curls. She can kiss my boho wearing, curl loving, diamond disdaining @ss.

PS - anyone ever seen Rene Russo? Julianne Moore? Amy Adams? Yeah, they're all hurting for dates.

Evie
August 16th, 2011, 01:13 PM

This. Thanks Nat, that was very well said - I understand that this woman has kind of put herself up for this kind of response by implying she knows best, so I get why people have said what they have about her. But ultimately if a person is happy with how they look, whether to other people they look anything in the range of barbie to boho, then it is entirely up to them and shouldn't class them in any way in terms of their intellect or personal habits etc :)

MonaMayfair
August 16th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Personally, I don't give a rat's behind what this woman thinks of my curls. She can kiss my boho wearing, curl loving, diamond disdaining @ss.

I love it!

Evie
August 16th, 2011, 01:17 PM
I think most millionaires don't need to go on television to find a wife. Just sayin'. There's a reason why those guys need a professional matchmaker.

Yes, this too - I guess there are, er, socially inept millionaires like there are socially inept non-millionaires ;) I'd like to hope not all rich men or women would agree with that article

young&reckless
August 16th, 2011, 01:43 PM
"I'm just the distributor"

I'm not a product!

KatiSasha
August 16th, 2011, 01:53 PM
Not sure if it has been said, but I wouldn't take a dating advice from a 50 year old, who is no married. I'd rather take an advice from my grandmother who has been happily married to my grandpa for over 50 years. Thankfully, my own 50+ (or longer) years of marriage are about to start on September 4th :D So no more first dates, woo hoo!

snakewitch
August 16th, 2011, 02:41 PM
That's retarded. And racist. "Silky Asian hair", as if there's something wrong with caucasian or afro hair... did they really have to freaking bring race into it?

It's all a matter of personal taste. :/ I hate it when people act like EVERYONE of a certain group has the same tastes.

terpentyna
August 16th, 2011, 02:43 PM
This is silliness, everyone knows that a wild, curly mane is just super sexy!!! (<-- has almost straight hair)

No, but truly, this is silliness.

C.H.
August 16th, 2011, 02:53 PM
That's retarded. And racist. "Silky Asian hair", as if there's something wrong with caucasian or afro hair... did they really have to freaking bring race into it?

It's all a matter of personal taste. :/ I hate it when people act like EVERYONE of a certain group has the same tastes.

I know. She lost me as soon as she said "Asian." Like really, it's not enough to insult droves of women, you need to bring racial BS into it, too?

kitschy
August 16th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Not sure if it has been said, but I wouldn't take a dating advice from a 50 year old, who is no married. I'd rather take an advice from my grandmother who has been happily married to my grandpa for over 50 years. Thankfully, my own 50+ (or longer) years of marriage are about to start on September 4th :D So no more first dates, woo hoo!

Congratulations! I'm sure you have a wonderful example in your grandmother and grandfather - I hope you are forever happy!

Velvet Dreamer
August 16th, 2011, 03:16 PM
Yep, as soon as I saw, "silky Asian hair," I knew it was going to be ridiculous.
So, apparently, my curly {4A!!!} hair implies that I'm poor and uneducated. Uh, let's see, my AP classes would like to have a talk with you, as would my decent sized house and nice car.
About the redheads, I dunno, maybe it's just me, but I'm super jealous of redheads. I think it is the best natural hair colour, and I'd kill for a chance to have it.

Also, is she even married? Whenever I see commercials for it, they're always talking about how she's trying to find her own "true loooove."
Why would I listen to her, again?

C.H.
August 16th, 2011, 03:26 PM
About the redheads, I dunno, maybe it's just me, but I'm super jealous of redheads. I think it is the best natural hair colour, and I'd kill for a chance to have it.

Me, too! I think they are sooo lucky and that their beauty is so arresting and eye-catching and impossible to look away from while the rest of us go unnoticed...I have to consciously stop this train of thought and remind myself that my natural hair color is actually just fine and flattering in it's own way.

BeckyAH
August 16th, 2011, 03:31 PM
As a human being I am offended by that article.

jeanniet
August 16th, 2011, 04:23 PM
It really makes me wonder. My uncle is very wealthy, and also egotistical, controlling, and pretty much not very pleasant to be around, and he still managed to get married--twice. The second marriage has lasted almost 50 years. Don't ask me how, but it just goes to show that there's someone out there for everyone, no matter what a boor you are. He didn't need a matchmaker, BTW.

Charlotte:)
August 16th, 2011, 04:34 PM
She is very prejudice and small-minded. If you look at the comments below, you can see that NOBODY agrees with what she says. By the way, I happen to LOVE curly and/or red hair. I have also known both curlies and red-heads who are very popular and get a lot of dates. Just because she doesn't like red-heads or curly hair, doesn't mean that every single non-Irish guy on the planet doesn't like them either.

roodboerinnetje
August 16th, 2011, 05:46 PM

Well-said!

What a shallow article. Perhaps the author also works for a hair-straightening company?

I have wavy hair, and think wavy, curly AND straight hair alike are beautiful (especially if they're long). And although the Irish DO seem to have a special appreciation for red hair, I think it's loved by most! :cool:

Sunshineliz
August 16th, 2011, 06:08 PM
Well if you're a cheap, shallow, gold-digger, by all means follow her advice! I wouldn't WANT a man who wanted those things. I'm mainly offended that it's apparently all about "getting laid." I feel sad for any man or woman that thinks that's all relationships are about.

I wonder about the women on her show anyway--why would anyone go on TV solely to subject themselves to a competition for a relationship-challenged millionaire with dubious judgement (because he is, after all putting himself on the same show.) But then, such is the problem with "reality" TV and why I never watch those shows anyway.

ElusiveMuse
August 16th, 2011, 07:10 PM

I'm glad you're being racially sensitive, but if you could also be sensitive to people with disabilities, I'm sure everyone would appreciate it. There are plenty of words you could use to describe how ridiculous "silky Asian hair" was to say, without calling it "retarded."

Link to "Spread the word to end the word" PSA.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y5hLlXnAOQ

I agree with everyone that the article is ridiculous, the Millionaire Matchmaker is ridiculous, and the people who go on that show are likely not exactly catches.

TrudieCat
August 16th, 2011, 07:13 PM
I'm glad you're being racially sensitive, but if you could also be sensitive to people with disabilities, I'm sure everyone would appreciate it. There are plenty of words you could use to describe how ridiculous "silky Asian hair" was to say, without calling it "retarded."

Link to "Spread the word to end the word" PSA.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y5hLlXnAOQ

I agree with everyone that the article is ridiculous, the Millionaire Matchmaker is ridiculous, and the people who go on that show are likely not exactly catches.

Yeah, ditto.

Mrspuddinhead
August 16th, 2011, 07:32 PM
"The only men who like redheads are Irish." End quote:I find this offensive not only for my self but for my fellow red heads and curlys. I will openly admit when I see those with curly hair I become envious. Such beauty!! Ummm..... I'm a strawberry blonde with more red hues then blonde and I've had several men tell me how beautiful I am due to my red hair. None of them where Irish men either. Plus why listen to her advice?? Is she married?? Does she have true love?? No and no.....

Rusticular
August 16th, 2011, 07:40 PM
I'm neither a redhead or curly, but I'm offended. There's no better word to describe that article than 'garbage', and that woman is nothing but a vapid, slimy, shell of a human.

But hey, that's the media for you. We've all got to be tall, bony, big-boobed 'perfect' cloned robots in the kitchen in heels and oven mittens. And OHMYGAWD, diamonds! What will I do if he doesn't buy me diamonds?!

Disgusting. Absolutely, positively putrid.

redwoman
August 16th, 2011, 09:38 PM
Rotflmao!! Can I have the 60 seconds it took to read that back?

rena
August 16th, 2011, 09:48 PM
Gosh, why didn't she just go for the whole shabong and segregate all other skin colors, nose types, eye colors, faces, heights, and body types. May as well if you're going to go as far as she has already...Hmph.

And the men she's hooking up with these women? No comment.

oddbeat
August 16th, 2011, 10:09 PM
Well, that article was a complete waste of time. Never heard of this woman or the show until now, but is she serious with that crap? I don't see how she can generalize that ALL men like a specific type of hair. How does being a millionaire go hand-in-hand with hating curly redheads? That makes absolutely zero sense.

And as someone else mentioned, if the dude is rolling in dough and still needs help getting a girl to go out with him - something is wrong there. Especially since it would seem that these particular men aren't exactly looking for someone with brains and a great personality.

pittsburgpam
August 16th, 2011, 10:11 PM
Ok, can I just say that if she has her lips plumped any more, they're going to turn inside-out?

(is there a cat icon?)

tolly
August 16th, 2011, 10:46 PM
i think she was just being outrageous to get people's attention, I didn't bother taking her serious

Katurday
August 16th, 2011, 11:03 PM
Yes, Kim Kardashian is known for her high-class looks and manners. Definitely taking style tips from her. *takes off half the clothes and goes put on fake straight hair - can I get laid now?*
I don't see anything wrong with how Kim looks at all. OH I GET IT, WE'RE GONNA BE HYPOCRITES NOW! How dare she insult redheads, does she want us all to be blonde bimbos?:rolleyes:

I love these threads. Everyone goes on their little soapboxes and moan that someone dare criticize the natural look (while criticizing the fake look). Effectively I might as well listen to Patti because both some of you and her are limiting my choices in "acceptable" looks, but she can get me a millionaire.

Tabihito
August 17th, 2011, 12:10 AM
Well, maybe rich guys go for that sort of look? :shrug: All I know is, the guys I talk to appreciate that I let my hair be what it is (a right wurly mess, in my opinion), and don't wear makeup or revealing clothes.

On the other hand? I'm single and live in the Bible Belt. Modesty is usually appreciated here, at least depending on who you talk to. Your mileage may vary- all I know is, if her article is what rich guys like, I hope I never meet one.

Oh, and shopping with a straight guy? Puh-lease. I hate shopping, dragging a straight guy along would only make me even less likely to spend more than thirty seconds in the store before leaving emptyhanded.

Mesmerise
August 17th, 2011, 12:28 AM

I get what you're saying, regarding the use of the word "retarded", however she wasn't describing "silky Asian hair" as retarded. She was suggesting it was ridiculous to consider silky Asian hair to be the epitome of beautiful hair, she certainly wasn't insulting Asian hair at all.

The misuse of the word "retarded" is widespread, and the poster is quite young and probably didn't carefully consider her words when she used it. I don't think she meant to be offensive to people with disabilities.

Evie
August 17th, 2011, 12:29 AM
I don't see anything wrong with how Kim looks at all. OH I GET IT, WE'RE GONNA BE HYPOCRITES NOW! How dare she insult redheads, does she want us all to be blonde bimbos?:rolleyes:

I love these threads. Everyone goes on their little soapboxes and moan that someone dare criticize the natural look (while criticizing the fake look). Effectively I might as well listen to Patti because both some of you and her are limiting my choices in "acceptable" looks, but she can get me a millionaire.

:thumbsup:Good point!

archel
August 17th, 2011, 12:35 AM
I'll just step in as someone with a psych degree and state that the word "retarded" has not been used to describe people with developmental disabilities in YEARS. So really, the definition of "retarded" is simply "slow." This is why I don't really get offended when I hear it used that way, since nobody in the industry uses the word.

pink.sara
August 17th, 2011, 12:35 AM

What offended me about Patti's philosophy wasn't that she criticised a "natural look" it was that she perpetuated the myth we must all fit a certain mould to be attractive or successful.
She tells her prospective women clients they must fit within strict age, weight, height, bra measurement, hair colour, nose shape, skin tone etc criteria.
Obviously she did not fit these herself so decided to go have obvious plastic surgery and cosmetic enhancements to achieve them. In my opinion thats something that's pityable and also worth criticising.
Do we really want a world full of Kardashian clones who care about nothing more than how their hair extensions are looking, whether they fit into that dress and if he's going to gasp buy her diamonds?!
Patti advocates this idea pretty strongly, frankly it terrifies me. :(

snakewitch
August 17th, 2011, 01:45 AM

:/ That word has become embedded into my vocabulary. I apologize. But I wasn't calling Asian hair retarded, I meant that bringing racial BS into this was really stupid.

Evie
August 17th, 2011, 05:53 AM
What offended me about Patti's philosophy wasn't that she criticised a "natural look" it was that she perpetuated the myth we must all fit a certain mould to be attractive or successful.
She tells her prospective women clients they must fit within strict age, weight, height, bra measurement, hair colour, nose shape, skin tone etc criteria.
Obviously she did not fit these herself so decided to go have obvious plastic surgery and cosmetic enhancements to achieve them. In my opinion thats something that's pityable and also worth criticising.
Do we really want a world full of Kardashian clones who care about nothing more than how their hair extensions are looking, whether they fit into that dress and if he's going to gasp buy her diamonds?!
Patti advocates this idea pretty strongly, frankly it terrifies me. :(

Yes, I get this too, although I don't think Kim should be singled out just because Patti likes her look ;) that is probably more like something to sympathise with IMO :)

However, I still think that if somebody wants to change their bra size, nose shape, etc etc with plastic surgery, well, that is up to them and I can't see why they should be lumped into a "fake" category because of it. In some cases it has drastically changed the way people perceive themselves and increased their self confidence. Now, I am in no waying saying people have to fit a certain look - personally I love variety:D But for heaven's sake I wear fake tan to enhance my skin tone and I certainly don't support this woman. I also wear make up and dye my hair, so I am not at all 'natural' in my look either :p. But again, that does not mean I subscribe to this clap trap. I guess that is what I am trying to say - if someone feels better about themselves looking natural, that is good, if someone wants to amend/adapt natural a bit that is fine too, but the problem with this woman is that she says that her way is the only way and that is what I think is wrong. I wouldn't like to think I was lumped into some "fake and wrong" caterogy any more than folks would like to think they are part of some "natural curly and red-head and wrong" category? :)

pocketsmall
August 17th, 2011, 06:08 AM
As a human being I am offended by that article.

I feel the exact same way.

Ligeia_13
August 17th, 2011, 06:12 AM
Ok, can I just say that if she has her lips plumped any more, they're going to turn inside-out?

(is there a cat icon?)

Hahahahahahahahahahaha :D

Personally, this does not offend me (I'm not a redhead or a curly but if she had said something about brunettes, I still wouldn't care). Its more something to laugh at than be offended by. Just because she gets paid to be on tv for her show doesn't mean she's right.

nellreno
August 17th, 2011, 06:22 AM
If you've ever watched her show, she also puts down women who don't fake-tan and don't dye their hair. So apparently the only way to get a man (specifically a millionaire) is to completely change how you look.

Gypsygirl
August 17th, 2011, 06:22 AM
How dare she insult redheads, does she want us all to be blonde bimbos?:rolleyes:

Now I guess I should feel offended because apparently us blondes are "bimbos"? :rolleyes: Why oh why can't everybody just appreciate the differences in us all? Guess what...I found my "millionaire" 20 years ago...and it is true love....because he doesn't give a damn about my hair color...and I don't give a damn about his money. Gee... I need to stay away from this thread. lol

Ligeia_13
August 17th, 2011, 06:33 AM
If you've ever watched her show, she also puts down women who don't fake-tan and don't dye their hair. So apparently the only way to get a man (specifically a millionaire) is to completely change how you look.

I think I've only caught it a couple of times...but still, so what if she puts down women who don't fake tan or dye their hair? Don't watch the show, don't support her ratings going up. I'm not going to get upset because someone with a different idea of the ideal woman gets air time. Even if it is flat out stupid.

nellreno
August 17th, 2011, 06:45 AM
I think I've only caught it a couple of times...but still, so what if she puts down women who don't fake tan or dye their hair? Don't watch the show, don't support her ratings going up. I'm not going to get upset because someone with a different idea of the ideal woman gets air time. Even if it is flat out stupid.

O.o No need to get defensive.

It's a typical part of the show for her to put down the women coming through her dating service. I was simply explaining that it's not just curly hair and red hair that she doesn't like, it's everything and I'm not surprised she's biased against red hair. Geez.

Ligeia_13
August 17th, 2011, 06:57 AM
^ oh,I wasn't getting defensive :) sorry if it came across like that.

I just think we're giving her too much power over how we feel.

pink.sara
August 17th, 2011, 06:59 AM
Yes, I get this too, although I don't think Kim should be singled out just because Patti likes her look ;) that is probably more like something to sympathise with IMO :)

However, I still think that if somebody wants to change their bra size, nose shape, etc etc with plastic surgery, well, that is up to them and I can't see why they should be lumped into a "fake" category because of it. In some cases it has drastically changed the way people perceive themselves and increased their self confidence. Now, I am in no waying saying people have to fit a certain look - personally I love variety:D But for heaven's sake I wear fake tan to enhance my skin tone and I certainly don't support this woman. I also wear make up and dye my hair, so I am not at all 'natural' in my look either :p. But again, that does not mean I subscribe to this clap trap. I guess that is what I am trying to say - if someone feels better about themselves looking natural, that is good, if someone wants to amend/adapt natural a bit that is fine too, but the problem with this woman is that she says that her way is the only way and that is what I think is wrong. I wouldn't like to think I was lumped into some "fake and wrong" caterogy any more than folks would like to think they are part of some "natural curly and red-head and wrong" category? :)

That was the point I was trying to make! Unfortunately this woman (and many many other parts of society) would like to fit all women into the same mould.
I only mentioned Kardashian as she picked her out as an ideal. If you are a slim tanned long haired brunette who likes little body-con dresses heels and whiter than White teeth, whatever, that's your choice, I just don't like the societal pressure for everyone to be this!
I fake tan, dye my hair and am covered in highly visable tattoos so have altered my appearance waaay beyond natural, but I did it to please me. And at the end of the day couldn't give a fig what this woman thinks as everything I aim to be is so far removed from her ideal, both physically and mentally/spiritually.

I'm just glad to see so many others agree it not necessary to conform to this pressure! :)

Individuals make life interesting!

Sunshineliz
August 17th, 2011, 07:21 AM
Just a note on the use of the word "retarded"--I don't like the word either and it's negative connotations. True, it might not be used by the professionals anymore, but it used to, and it became a derogatory term for lay people while it still was being used. Unfortunately most of the "stupid" words have their origins in old professional terms for the disabled. Ever use the words "idiot," "moron," "cretin," or "imbecile?" The word "retarded" was first brought into use to replace older words that had turned into derogatory terms by lay people. "Retarded" wasn't derogatory at first, but lay people turned it into such a word. That's why professionals stopped using it.

Personally, I'm trying hard to purge all those words from my vocabulary (not always successfully.) I decided "stupid" is ok when I really need a word like that because it's origins are in the word "stupor" which could simply indicate one is tired and their normal mental functioning isn't up to par and not a word for the disabled. (Of course, one could say using ANY stupid word is not kind to anyone, but I'm trying to cut myself and other non-perfect beings some slack.:))

But still, what really needs to change isn't the word one uses, it's the attitude towards the disabled behind it. Otherwise people will continue to adopt the current terms and use them derogatorily.

/hijack

Curly Hermione
August 17th, 2011, 08:34 AM
Wow that woman is messed up, and as someone from an irish family, i find her comment that only irish men quite offensive. Some men prefer straight, some prefer curly, and as for the redhead thing, i always thought that redheads where considered super sexy by most people anyway?

Whatever, that matchmaker is not worth our time or trouble ladies, remember, she who angers you conquers you. We know we're all gorgeous, we don't need someone as clearly unstable as her to tell us that. Besides, would we want a barbiesque clone like her to think we looked good? Judging by her perception of beauty, my answer is no.

xoxo_laura
August 17th, 2011, 09:27 AM
I don't know why but I found that whole article pretty degrading. She's pretty much giving you the step by step on how to look (and act) like a gold digger. But anyway, all my curly friends tell me they want my poker straight hair, but I don't understand why!! I WISH I had some beautiful curlies, my hair can't do ANYTHING! I litteraly can barely put it in a high ponytail; it just sags in a few minutes :( And what was that nonsense about red hair?! Red hair is BEAUTIFUL especially when it's natural ugh this woman just drives me insane!

teal
August 17th, 2011, 10:57 AM
Didn't read the thread so excuse me if this has already been stated... sound like redheads and curlies are getting the better guys by exclusion! If you want someone and not some things, that is.

SkinnyCookie
August 17th, 2011, 11:15 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again:
Fashionable/modern/Socialite women are shallow, and really only see themselves as objects for men. She stated so herself, several times, and from what it sounds like, she would be the authority on that, LOL! There's more to life than that. Wouldn't you rather be attractive to someone because he loves you? You'll find nicer guys by being more genuine and less of an object, anyways. I swear most of the divorces in the world could be prevented if people based relationships on something more substantial than all of HER implied bases. Disgusting, really.
Personally, I'm jealous of both curlies and redheads. (Side note: the most fun, humorous, easy to be around person - also the most dated by nice guys- was a curly redhead. Not sure she knows what she's talking about, there.)

SkinnyCookie
August 17th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Didn't read the thread so excuse me if this has already been stated... sound like redheads and curlies are getting the better guys by exclusion! If you want someone and not some things, that is.

For sure! You could date a jerk that sees you as a good squeeze, or someone who actually values women.

Gypsygirl
August 17th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Might be a case of the fox and the grapes... ;)

Xandergrammy
August 17th, 2011, 11:20 AM
I think this woman is a snooty, mean-spirited woman. If we all listened to her, we'd all look alike! I recently was in the company of two sisters- one with naturally curly hair (perfect curls, too, I'd like to mention) and the other with naturally curly hair that had just been straightened with that Brazilian Keratin Treatment. I think the curly hair is so much prettier (plus the straightened hair still had "fluffy" roots)

Boudicca
August 17th, 2011, 02:11 PM
It must be massively disheartening to be as shallow as that woman. That can't be good for your soul. What an unhappy way to live.

Evie
August 17th, 2011, 02:22 PM
T....I fake tan, dye my hair and am covered in highly visable tattoos so have altered my appearance waaay beyond natural, but I did it to please me. And at the end of the day couldn't give a fig what this woman thinks as everything I aim to be is so far removed from her ideal, both physically and mentally/spiritually.

I'm just glad to see so many others agree it not necessary to conform to this pressure! :)

Individuals make life interesting!

ah, sorry, sometimes I miss the point! I agree entirely that this makes life interesting :D

RoseRed27
August 17th, 2011, 04:23 PM
Men don't like curls or red hair? Well, duh! That's why curlies and redheads died out a long time ago.

And is the subtle racism in this article really that horrid? You'd be hard pressed to find a black person with naturally straight hair. So what? We know we'll never find a successful man as we are, so bring on the relaxers! And it's true "only Irish people like red hair". But there aren't enough Irish millionaires out there for all her gold digging female clients, so why bother attracting them? Secondly, sure red hair is beautiful and rare, and is one of the most popular hair dye colors and suits most everyone, but so what? If the rich men don't like it, it shouldn't exist. And everyone knows the Asian woman is a precious little porcelain doll. You know, she's so feminine and sophisticated and delicate and submissive and blah blah blah. So we should emulate her sophisticated hair and burn the curls from our scalp. Sounds good to me! :D

Ouch! I think I sprained my sarcasm muscle. :p

We, as people, say we have preferences, but they mean NOTHING once we fall in love. I didn't "prefer" blonds or light eyes; dark mysterious features were what I was sure I'd find in a true love. But my SO is blond with pale green eyes. :p Now, I can't imagine him any other way. Love, truly is blind.

But, she isn't talking about love, is she? ;) She's talking about how to marry a random rich guy. Not how to find a partner. Not someone who will love you even if they have to spoon feed you soup when you are sweaty and bloated from the flu. Not someone who's personality traits you'd be proud to see in your children. Not someone to share your life with. Just someone who thinks your hot and gives you stuff. That's what we all want ladies, right? :cool:

Gypsygirl
August 17th, 2011, 11:40 PM
It must be massively disheartening to be as shallow as that woman. That can't be good for your soul. What an unhappy way to live.

:thumbsup:

AnimaSola3o4
August 18th, 2011, 12:46 AM
Well, apparently I'm undateable then? Being both a curly and a redhead? Sheesh. I happen to love my hair, and get hit on quite often. I would never want to be the barbie doll type, where's the personality there? I mean, I guess if you naturally look like a barbie...(I LOVE -natural- blonde hair, by the way), then more power to you.

akuamoonmaui
August 18th, 2011, 01:13 AM
I don't know who the woman is, but I read all of.... three paragraphs? Darlings. Men will sleep with about anything, no matter what you are wearing. I have red, curly hair, and I have no problem getting men's attention. I wouldn't want to date the man who has these (whatever they were, didn't even get that far) specifications.

The words: Shallow, short sighted, limited, and trite come to mind. Be a caring, supportive, and a self respecting human being and you'll be just fine in the world. Stay far, far away from "these" author types or you might be seen as trendy, superficial and opportunistic.