PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to trim or is this typical of layers? (velcro ends)

monsterna
August 14th, 2011, 09:51 PM
Lately I've had very velcro-y ends. SMTs aren't helping, I oil every day and it's not helping much. I clarify once to twice a week, and I wash every day (I can't not, I get very greasy scalp and have to look presentable). The ends tangle up very easily and no matter how careful I am, I always feel them getting stuck together and they feel weak.

I have a lot of layers, and I don't know know if this is typical of them or if I need to trim? I'm really scared thinking about going to a salon and getting a little trim because I don't want a chopping horror story to occur.

Any advice??

BeckyAH
August 14th, 2011, 10:00 PM
The only thing I can really offer here is to realize you don't have to do everything to all your hair. I have bleached ends, bangs, and a couple of strips up front. That hair gets conditioned, then I wash my scalp (and let the lather rinse through), then I condition it from the ears down. Personally, I would ditch the clarifying that often, condition the ends extra, while continuing to wash your scalp/the part that gives you grease issues. I would probably do extra SMTs (if those work for you) JUST on the velcroy ends, so you don't make your problems with oil/grease worse, and, actually, if you're not using cones - I might think about using a coney conditioner JUST on your ends to give them some extra slip.

monsterna
August 14th, 2011, 10:03 PM
The only thing I can really offer here is to realize you don't have to do everything to all your hair. I have bleached ends, bangs, and a couple of strips up front. That hair gets conditioned, then I wash my scalp (and let the lather rinse through), then I condition it from the ears down. Personally, I would ditch the clarifying that often, condition the ends extra, while continuing to wash your scalp/the part that gives you grease issues. I would probably do extra SMTs (if those work for you) JUST on the velcroy ends, so you don't make your problems with oil/grease worse, and, actually, if you're not using cones - I might think about using a coney conditioner JUST on your ends to give them some extra slip.

I do use cones most of the time. And I usually wash the scalp with a sulfate free shampoo.

I also forgot to mention I haven't been using protein at all in the past couple of months, pretty much FOR this reason/problem I'm having... could that be coming back to bit me? Should I maybe try using proteins? :confused:

christine1989
August 14th, 2011, 10:04 PM
I had those too and what helped me was to douse them in castor oil (coconut works ok too) and tuck them into an updo for 24 hours. When I washed them out I couldn't even tell they used to be velcro-y. I also find that regularly putting the Aubrey Organics camellia oil condish in my ends keeps the dryness away.

monsterna
August 15th, 2011, 10:42 AM
Just wanted to bump this in case anyone else can chime in. :)

Peter
August 15th, 2011, 08:30 PM
This is what I would try:
- Shampoo only on scalp, not on length or ends
- Clarify less often
- Watch out for mechanical damage (e.g. wearing a backpack over loose hair)

If all this fails, then do a small trim. Works wonders. :)

krissykins
August 15th, 2011, 08:35 PM
I am going to have to suggest chelating your hair. Gladtobemom suggested that to me awhile back and it really made a difference in my ends! :) I should've gotten a trim this month, but I don't think I'll need one til at least December.

monsterna
August 15th, 2011, 09:40 PM
What is the difference between clarifying and chelating? I'll have to get a chelating shampoo anyway, been meaning to.

Kathie
August 15th, 2011, 09:43 PM
I think a chelating shampoo can remove mineral deposits, while a clarifying shampoo removes product buildup. ( I just read this a second ago on another thread:p)

Is there anyway you could dust your ends? I know taking a small amount off can make a world of difference sometimes. But I understand that self-dusting layers could be a bit tricky.

spidermom
August 15th, 2011, 09:47 PM
I would also suggest that you clarify less often, wash scalp area more than ends, and use oil on them (if your hair responds to oil, that is). Try bending forward so that your ends fall toward the floor and get a look at your layers. If they look like they need a trim, figure a way to do it. There are lots of YouTube videos.

monsterna
August 15th, 2011, 10:19 PM
I had those too and what helped me was to douse them in castor oil (coconut works ok too) and tuck them into an updo for 24 hours. When I washed them out I couldn't even tell they used to be velcro-y. I also find that regularly putting the Aubrey Organics camellia oil condish in my ends keeps the dryness away.

I used coconut oil for the first time in a LONG time tonight, but only had it on dry hair for an hour. It's still drying now after my shower.

For the record for everyone, my usual regimen is washing my scalp with sulfate-, cone-, and protein-free shampoo. Then use a coney conditioner all over. I do this every day (well, at least every work day, so at least 5 days a week). I follow up with Nightblooming's winter panacea on the length while damp and then Nightblooming's triple moon oil when dry.

I appreciate all the advice, guys! :)

Avital88
August 16th, 2011, 02:04 AM
Well, i know you said before you can not go without washing everyday. but i really think that if you would wash less or co now and then your hair would be a lot better.i used to have greasy hair fast too, but that was just the response after years of washing, then i tried to stretch washes and after a while my hair was so much more moisturized. even if its natural shampoo, it still dries out the hair and give you velcro ends.at least thats my experience, if i would wash 5 days a week now my hair would die within 3 wks.So maybe you can try to stretch washes and start in the weekend or something then see how it goes. good luck with it!

Alaia
August 16th, 2011, 02:28 AM
I'd just like to chime in and say that I think you could try clarifying less often, and I think that will make quite a difference. Even if you use coney conditioner every day (which you say you do) you shouldn't have enough build up that you need to clarify every week.

Try it once a month, and if that isn't enough, once every two weeks.

Clarifying shampoo is quite harsh and you may find that this is contributing to your problem.

Oiling is good too of course and everything everyone has said to you in this thread.

kdaniels8811
August 16th, 2011, 05:01 AM
I second the coconut oil on the ends only. My hair is only 6 inches long and the ends are starting to velcro already! a drop of coconut oil works wonders to get rid of it. Only on the ends, though. Makes my hair greasy otherwise. Good luck!

caiti42
August 16th, 2011, 05:43 AM
If you're using cones daily I would switch to a sls shampoo. You will get rid of the need to clarify so often by doing this. Or keep using the sls free and ditch the cones.

Peter
August 16th, 2011, 06:32 AM
I used coconut oil for the first time in a LONG time tonight, but only had it on dry hair for an hour. It's still drying now after my shower.

For the record for everyone, my usual regimen is washing my scalp with sulfate-, cone-, and protein-free shampoo. Then use a coney conditioner all over. I do this every day (well, at least every work day, so at least 5 days a week). I follow up with Nightblooming's winter panacea on the length while damp and then Nightblooming's triple moon oil when dry.

I appreciate all the advice, guys! :)
Coney conditioner 5x/week + SLS-free shampoo? Is that why you clarify so often? Maybe try a mild or diluted SLS shampoo and cut down on the clarifying.

Konstifik
August 16th, 2011, 07:49 AM
I got nothing helpful to add, but I'm hoping to get some advice for this as well. I've had these annoying velcro ends for years. So far nothing has helped. I've done WO, CO, CWC, trimming, oiling... But they tangle up in each other anyway! :angry:
It might be the layers spooking. I hope so.

CurlAhead
August 16th, 2011, 08:14 AM
What is meant by velcro ends? That they are crunchy like the material of velcro or that they "stick together"? I don't get it..

Konstifik
August 16th, 2011, 10:29 AM
What is meant by velcro ends? That they are crunchy like the material of velcro or that they "stick together"? I don't get it..

I think it can be a little bit of both. For me it's mostly that they stick together.