PDA

View Full Version : After reading the thread "the most horrific thing"

Brenda714
August 14th, 2011, 09:01 PM
I need help! About a year ago I permed and straightened my hair several time in that span of a year. I know, how bad, I must have been insane! But anyhow I did these horrible things to my hair. It all broke off and I am worried that I damaged the follicles. It's coming in nice and thick, so I don't think they are damaged, but becausse of the breakage, I can't really tell how fast or if it will ever grow in again. It's below shoulder length now, and the breakage has stopped. Im worried that I have damaged my follicles and scalp. I did this before in my 20's for years (in the 80's) and it grew back thick and beautiful. I want to know if there are those of you who have grown out nice hair after perms and coloring. Thank you all who read this and help me, it is greatly apprecicated! God bless!

BeckyAH
August 14th, 2011, 09:15 PM
No. Seriously. The woman in that thread does not have a hair problem, she has a medical problem. Nothing you put on your head will cause that, short of chemical burns scarring on the scalp. Breaking off and needing to be SHAVED, is possible, but making your hair fall out in clumps (or not grow) is the realm of medical problem - unless there is scarring, which you'd have noticed by now.

celebriangel
August 14th, 2011, 10:11 PM
I *have* seen people's hair thin due to dyeing - but that was when the person had brown hair and was doing high-volume bleach every 2 weeks to achieve platinum blonde hair, continuously for about 5 years. Her hair was thinning badly.

However, in your case, I am almost certain your hair will be absolutely fine once you have cut off all the damage.

Mesmerise
August 14th, 2011, 10:23 PM
Odds are your hair will be fine, especially if the hair growing in at the roots seems healthy and as thick as normal.

However that's not to say that EVERY SINGLE ONE of your follicles is okay. I know that I have "killed" some follicles, because when I do a close examination of certain patches of scalp I can see that the hair is thinner than it should be.

Have a look at your hairline, and around the sides of your head and see if you notice any patchy areas. If you don't, there's a pretty good chance that the rest of your head is pretty much okay too!

Brenda714
August 14th, 2011, 10:24 PM
thank you your words are comforting to me, I get these fears in my head about my hair and the mess I made of it, and LHC helps me so much

spidermom
August 14th, 2011, 11:32 PM
Pay attention to your overall health habits, and your hair should be fine.
My hair recovered after being re-permed one year after the first perm. OMG; it was ruined! But you'd never know that now.