PDA

View Full Version : Need Opinions!!!

froggerfly
August 14th, 2011, 08:52 PM
Hello! I just joined today. My name is Sarah and I need opinions or factual information on this topic please ^_^

Okay, so me and my identical twin sister have been working on growing our hair long and healthy. So for about a year we have been quite strict on keeping our hair healthy by avoiding chemicals, avoiding heat (straightners and curling irons), and using good conditioners.
However, we go back to high school in two weeks, and me and my sister always like to dress alike on the first week of school.
BUT,
about two years ago, my twin decided to dye her hair blonde, but I didn't... and this was before we started taking really good care of our hair.
And then the year after that, we both dyed our hair darker so that we would match again, and our hair looked surprisingly the exact same, but only for a short period of time. By the end of the year, the blonde in her hair started to show through again, and my hair also lightened a little to its natural brown.

But now to the point. At first we were gonna dye our hair darker *again* for school which is in two weeks, but then she decided not to because she read somewhere on the internet that dying hair darker after dying it blonde will risk it falling out. I don't really agree with that but my twin does and now she doesn't want to dye her hair darker anymore and match with me.

So I wanted to know if anyone knows if dying your hair darker after dying it blonde will really give it a risk of falling out. And I know dying your hair is bad for it, but it's not as bad as making it lighter.
A don't really think that if my sister dyes her hair darker again that it will damage her hair that bad. Besides, she only died her hair twice in her whole life (I dyed mine once).

Here are some pictures of our hair side by side. (I'm not sure if the images will show up so let me know if they do or not and I'll try again)
(my twin is on the right. I'm on the left)

http://item.slide.com/r/1/00f7/i/6IU486cw5D_Vwyb7cusmCtOqytWY6frx/

http://item.slide.com/r/1/0043/i/FJbL1Vjb5D8TcJ2Shl91KwE6CgGNCQ99/

http://item.slide.com/r/1/00ad/i/rAVhNOcfzj8L3L2UokCb7N40l9eT0Ylr/

http://deco-01.slide.com/r/1/00c3/dl/BCjGz30iyz-lPlAX0DLXf6JJg4mzM5O-/item

celebriangel
August 14th, 2011, 09:03 PM
Prolonged, continual use of harsh hair dyes can indeed make your hair fall out. But if your sister's hair hasn't been subjected to prolonged abuse, and she isn't sensitive to hair dye (ie her scalp doesn't hurt or itch or burn when it's on), then no. Her hair will not fall out.

Besides which, there isn't really any need to dye the whole head - you could just dye over the blonde part, right? In that case the hair dye wouldn't even touch the scalp, so there's no way the hair could be made to fall out.

I'd recommend a semipermanent (the kind with no peroxide - you can normally tell because the ones with peroxide come in two bottles you have to mix together). Sure, you'll have to keep redoing it every so often, but there will be no associated peroxide damage.

If you do decide to use a permanent dye, you can prevent any more damage by coating the hair in unrefined coconut oil and leaving it on for an hour before applying the dye (it shouldn't prevent the dye from working).

Calaelen
August 14th, 2011, 09:04 PM
Stylist here! Colouring your hair darker after lightening will not in anyway cause it to be more damaged, rather the opposite as with darker dyes the hair is filled with colour rather than having colour taken out. If she's very worried about it, I suggest a demi colour like Clairol Natural Instincts. They are ammonia free and not supposed to be permanent, but the permanence is rather lasting despite this.

Note that with this brand, the colour often comes out darker than the box says, so have her choose something in the medium brown range...

Seeshami
August 14th, 2011, 09:10 PM
I never recommend any of the stupid things I do to the naughty mess that I call my hair but, I dyed my hair 6 times if the course of a month working on getting rid of henna and all 29.5 inches of it is still here. HOWEVER it was extremely upset with such abuse and has been conditioned heavily every night to return it to normal for a month.