PDA

View Full Version : dry scalp advice please?

Cainwen
August 14th, 2011, 04:51 PM
I have chronically dry skin, which of course seems to mean a chronically dry scalp. When its dry, it itches. For the rest of my skin, I can just slather it in lotion a couple times a day, and that takes care of that. I can't do that for my scalp.

I don't have dandruff, red spots, or anything like a diagnose-able scalp disease. I've even taken pictures of the back of my head to be sure. Just really dry scalp skin that itches like crazy. Switching to CO and using ACV rinses seem to have helped a little bit, but the only relief I have really gotten was during a hot oil treatment I did last week.

But I can't walk around with my head soaked in oil, and I have no idea what else to do. My scalp doesn't seem to produce much sebum at all. Any one else have similar problems and what did you do?

Chiara
August 14th, 2011, 04:56 PM
I'd recommend actually changing your diet a bit, so that you get lots of omega 3s (from fish, seafood, fish oil, flax seeds, walnuts and dark green leafy veg). It takes about 4-6 weeks of diet change to see a difference, so you need to try it for at least a month.

I've found that my skin seems to lose moisture very fast- so I am careful with the amount of washing that I do as this seems to make things worse. I also know of some LHCers who apply a little flax seed oil to problem spots on their scalp before wash days.

christine1989
August 14th, 2011, 05:03 PM
I second flax oil (borage is good as well). As for externally you could use a very small amount of oil on your scalp as a daily moisturizer. Sweet almond and apricot kernal oil are good light oils for daily use.

Cainwen
August 14th, 2011, 05:13 PM
I'd recommend actually changing your diet a bit, so that you get lots of omega 3s (from fish, seafood, fish oil, flax seeds, walnuts and dark green leafy veg). It takes about 4-6 weeks of diet change to see a difference, so you need to try it for at least a month.

I've found that my skin seems to lose moisture very fast- so I am careful with the amount of washing that I do as this seems to make things worse. I also know of some LHCers who apply a little flax seed oil to problem spots on their scalp before wash days.

Thanks, I've not heard about omega-3s working on skin dryness. I'll have to try to add more.

I only wash my hair once or twice a week. I might try and see if I can stretch it longer though.

I second flax oil (borage is good as well). As for externally you could use a very small amount of oil on your scalp as a daily moisturizer. Sweet almond and apricot kernal oil are good light oils for daily use.

This sounds really good, but my question is how do you apply it without making the rest of your hair oily? Just put it on your finger tips and rub in as best you can? or is there some secret to it?

christine1989
August 14th, 2011, 05:23 PM
Yep! I get a little dropper and measure out about 5 drops (granted I use castor- a VERY thick oil so with a light oil you may need more) into a small bowl, dip my fingertips and rub it on the scalp making sure to coat it all very lightly.

You may also have luck with WO if you're feeling brave. It helps regulate the oil production if you stick with it for a few weeks.

Cainwen
August 14th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Ok, just gave that a try with my sweet almond oil. it will definately take a couple tries to get it more on my scalp and less on my hair, but where I did manage to get it it feels wonderful :happydance: Thanks for the help :)

WO I think is a little too extreme for me, at least at this point. Plus, the few times I've just rinsed my hair instead of 'washing' (after exercising, whatever) it left my hair drier than when I used shampoo, so I'm not sure if in my case it would actually help matters.