PDA

View Full Version : Most horrific thing ever!!

christine1989
August 14th, 2011, 04:21 PM
I just got back from my mom's hairdresser's house (dropping off a check for my mom's recent coloring) and the horrors I just witnessed can only be understood by fellow LHCers.

When I walked in there was a customer in the chair. I wasn't shocked by her fried, overprocessed hair but I was purely horrified at what she showed the hairdresser. She complained that her scalp was so fragile that her hair would come right out. Then she grabbed a small section of hair, pulled a bit on it and lo and behold the section came clean out from the roots! shudder: Her hair literally came out with gentle pulling! Worse yet, the hairdresser seemed rather unphased like she has seen it before. I hate to think of what this lady did to her poor hair and scalp to make it that fragile and damaged.

Alvrodul
August 14th, 2011, 04:28 PM
Horrific indeed! At a guess, her poor scalp and hair are frequently subjected to various chemical cocktails - I have done some bad things to my hair myself, but not to the point of the hair falling out! :tmi:
It was actually worries about that kind of thing which made me quit chemical colorings entirely, and by then I had actually been fairly kind to my hair (by non-LHC standards anyway) for a number of years.

4C4rly4
August 14th, 2011, 04:31 PM
omg that sucks :/

kyandii
August 14th, 2011, 04:32 PM
shudder: shudder: Eek!

That sounds like it must be so comfortable for her, that poor lady.

lizdini
August 14th, 2011, 04:44 PM
wow! My first thought is why is she at a hairdressers? Shouldn't she be at a doctors office or something?

lapispimpernel
August 14th, 2011, 05:20 PM
shudder: This made me pull at bits of my hair, just to check.

OT: why is there only one colon for shudder? :confused:

christine1989
August 14th, 2011, 05:25 PM
shudder: This made me pull at bits of my hair, just to check.

OT: why is there only one colon for shudder? :confused:

Haha! I've wondered this too but always felt too stupid to ask! Same with :steam too I believe.

Raqdoll
August 14th, 2011, 05:27 PM
Oh My Goodness!!!shudder:

And that is why I avoid :run: salons like the plague. They all want to put silicones in my hair then flat iron it...(must be a Japanese thing)

Mesmerise
August 14th, 2011, 05:33 PM
Yup that's scary! There are times when I wonder if my hair will ever be truly "normal" again after the different things I've subjected my poor scalp to!

Yes, I can get virgin hair again (or errm... virgin + henna hair) but I don't know if I can ever achieve the thickness my hair would have had had I never done stuff that damaged the scalp. I can see areas on my scalp where the hair is waaaay too sparse, and I'm sure it's because of the crap I subjected it to. (That hair doesn't seem to be growing back either :( the regions just have a lot of baldness).

So yeah, I am horrified that it would appear sort of "normal" to a hairdresser that a person could just pull hair out of their scalp. Their poor follicles :(.

lastnite
August 14th, 2011, 05:36 PM
I've had my scalp burned by perm chemicals before.. I honestly think it changed my hair roots causing my hair to grow in thinner; it used to be quite thick (well, maybe not at thick as some here)...so I'm not surprised her hair just fell out. Chemicals haircolor also caused my scalp to feel hot/burn/feel funny... Glad I know now how good henna and herbal dyes can be to my hair!

Mesmerise
August 14th, 2011, 05:40 PM
I've had my scalp burned by perm chemicals before.. I honestly think it changed my hair roots causing my hair to grow in thinner; it used to be quite thick (well, maybe not at thick as some here)...so I'm not surprised her hair just fell out. Chemicals haircolor also caused my scalp to feel hot/burn/feel funny... Glad I know now how good henna and herbal dyes can be to my hair!

I had a perm a few years back and a lot of my hair just broke off at the roots... I can't imagine the damage it did to my scalp :rolleyes:. I didn't even know what had happened at first, just wondered why I had these weird feeling sections of scalp. Ugh... NEVER AGAIN. It is just not worth it.

Lady Dragon
August 14th, 2011, 06:10 PM
Could it be stress related? or Alopecia?
Agh I hope it wasn't something she did to herself, but from the sounds of the frizzy over processed hair it might be.
*cringe*

oddbeat
August 14th, 2011, 06:17 PM
Yikes! The part of this story that gets me is how calm both of them seemed to be. "So, my hair's falling out in chunks - is that a problem?" "No, course not. Happens all the time." Seriously?? shudder: I'd be freaking out if that happened to me.

Stuff like this makes me glad that I recently found this community and realized the crazy damage I was doing to my hair. I'd hate to learn it the way that woman did.

Knittycat
August 14th, 2011, 06:23 PM
WOW! I'm losing a lot of hair, but at least it's nothing like *that*!! Scary! I'm so glad that after the two perm incidents of junior high, I've pretty much left my hair alone. All I do any more is henna!

happybear
August 14th, 2011, 06:27 PM
This happened to a girl I know, She dyed her fragile thin hair too much and it started falling out in clumps.

She had a good stylist though who told her to stop washing it so often, heavily oil it everyday and then put it up and don't touch it. He told her to do this routine everyday for a year. after a year she chopped off all the damage. Her new hair was gorgeous BTW

SoulOfTheSea
August 14th, 2011, 06:43 PM
What I'm wondering is how they are going to fix that...

Rusticular
August 14th, 2011, 07:19 PM
Aaagh, and I come in and read this after a night of dreaming my hair was falling out!

I went to highschool with a girl who was quite similar. At age 16, she'd subjected her hair to so much chemical torture that she literally looked as if she was balding. The hair was so thin, so short, and in such bad condition, that I SWEAR there was more scalp than actual hair to be seen.

Just adds more fuel to the 'never-gonna-do-that' fire, haha. Never in my life have I dyed or bleached my hair, and I think I'm gonna keep it that way. xD

spidermom
August 14th, 2011, 07:31 PM
Yikes; that gives me the heebie-jeebies!

QueenJoey
August 14th, 2011, 07:36 PM
Yikes! I cringed just reading and imagining that scenario. I'm stroking my hair right now to reassure myself that it's all there and staying put.

Dear Hair:
Never forget that I love you and will never let anything like that happen to you. Shhh, it's okay. Love you my precious darling baby.
-Joey

gretchen_hair
August 14th, 2011, 07:51 PM
Oh dear Lord, that is frightening. I would have bawled, shaved my head to start from the beginning and wouldn't leave my home for months!

I am amazed that the hairdresser didn't faint from shock.

Slinks
August 14th, 2011, 07:55 PM
oh my what a horror story .. now I'm gonna have nightmares !! that poor lady I wonder what she did .. if she did it or the hairdresser did, last time she visited a salon ..

Slinks
August 14th, 2011, 07:56 PM
wow! My first thought is why is she at a hairdressers? Shouldn't she be at a doctors office or something?

lol - agree !!!

who do you think would be more sympathetic ?? hmmm

RitaPG
August 14th, 2011, 08:01 PM
It was either a bad perm job or an awful coloring. Seen it happen before, some chemical reacts to the heat and burns the scalp...
I just hope the poor woman is okay :(

Helix
August 14th, 2011, 08:10 PM
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w286/punklad/GIFs/ohhellno.gif

I am so traumatized right now...

BeckyAH
August 14th, 2011, 08:32 PM
I am with everyone who's said this woman needs a doctor. That's not normal - falling OUT is not the same as breaking or burning OFF.

happybear
August 14th, 2011, 08:39 PM
@ Helix

OMG that pic is so funny i snorted out loud!

christine1989
August 14th, 2011, 08:43 PM
@ Helix

Same here. I was taking a sip of coffee when I saw that and had to spit it back in the cup because I was laughing so hard. :p

stacyyyy1972
August 14th, 2011, 08:54 PM
uuugh that is aweful, as a previous hairdresser..no that is absolutely not normal and the hairdresser should have been freaked out!! and hopefully she did nothing to her hair but direct her to the nearest physicians office...i have seen some horrors when I was a HD I had actually seen peoples hair turn to mush and have to get cut completely off because they did not tell the truth about what was on their hair prior to a perm..but never seen fall right out..I would think it was alopecia or some other medical prob..it was more likely her over processed hair masking that fact..that is sooo sad though i would seriously cry!!!

AnnaJamila
August 14th, 2011, 09:14 PM
Oh that poor lady! :( I would be so embarassed!!!

Animae
August 14th, 2011, 09:15 PM
I used to dye my hair with Feria in high school and I remember it giving me chemical burns on my scalp. But that was my favorite conditioner when I used cones.

LittleOrca
August 14th, 2011, 09:31 PM
*Blinks and goes belly up as she feints in shock.*

Helix
August 14th, 2011, 09:33 PM
@ Helix

Same here. I was taking a sip of coffee when I saw that and had to spit it back in the cup because I was laughing so hard. :p

:D Gotta love Miss Jay. He's the only reason I ever watched ANTM.

wtchmel
August 14th, 2011, 09:41 PM

Friggen A, totally agreed, wow, scary and sad.

ericthegreat
August 14th, 2011, 10:27 PM
Stepping in as one of the resident LHC hairstylists, again I feel the need to point out that as with everything else in life, there are good hairstylists and then there are bad hairstylists. I know on this board, its become a running gag to post your own salon horror story, but I want to assure members here who may be looking for a stylist to do a good haircut or color job that they are out there. You may have to ask around to see who is hair-friendly, and then still have to try him or her out to see if you personally like them, but that's how it always works.

As for that poor lady, even though her hair is clearly fried and breaking off, she can still save it or at least most of it. I'm betting the stylist working on her told her something along these lines. She'll have to go a combination of protein treatments and moisturizing treatments, and also periodically trim off the worst of the ends. Doing this, she can eventually grow out and cut off all of the damaged hair.

Lollipop
August 14th, 2011, 10:37 PM
I would love to see what the stylist did with this conundrum.

christine1989
August 14th, 2011, 10:44 PM
I would love to see what the stylist did with this conundrum.

Hopefully nothing. If hair comes out just by pulling it, there's no way it would hold up to vigorous washing, brushing or drying.

JamieLeigh
August 15th, 2011, 02:38 AM
I sure hope the stylist recommended a doctor. :(

ravenreed
August 15th, 2011, 11:01 AM
When I was a young child and still had virgin hair, I was under so much stress at home that my hair started falling out in handfuls. When I was taken in to get a haircut, the hair dresser freaked when she ran a comb through my hair and it started coming out in the comb. She refused to cut my hair and insisted that my family needed to get me to the doctor ASAP. It scared me at the time, but hey, she was the only one aware that this was a sign that something was terribly wrong. Good for her.

Bene
August 15th, 2011, 11:37 AM
At that point, what is there to do but slap a wig on it and then go running around looking for every reason under the sun for why her hair is falling out. Every reason other than "I've been mistreating my hair"

Also, I wonder what the stylist would do to try to help.

On a personal note, I'd find myself a nice good comfy seat to see how much hair falls out. It's not every day you see something like that.

LadyLongLocks
August 15th, 2011, 01:30 PM
That is really sad that this happened to this poor woman. I hope she can grow her hair back.

Yes there are GOOD hairdressers out there, but sadly so many bad ones.
If you Google the salon, often there are reviews left by the customers. People who have bad experiences should leave a review to warn people. My mom got her hair fried at a salon because the hairdresser was on the phone with family issues and forgot about her!
My mom switched salons and found a very attentive professional that does exactly what she likes and now my Moms hair is getting better.
I fear my Mom would have had a similar horrific experience as the poor woman with the hair coming out if she went back.

Velvet Dreamer
August 15th, 2011, 03:08 PM
That sounds terrifying. Even the reaction. I hope that they recommended her to a doctor or something, because that sounds kind of serious.

Melon Collie
August 15th, 2011, 07:58 PM
Eeee! That's my worst hair nightmare. :(

AnqeIicDemise
August 15th, 2011, 08:05 PM
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w286/punklad/GIFs/ohhellno.gif

I am so traumatized right now...

That, coupled with the music that was playing in my background... summarized what I was thinking.

O.O;

In2wishin
August 18th, 2011, 11:23 AM
How much of their conversation did you hear? My first thought was that she might have been giong through a medical treatment that caused her scalp to be fragile.

pastel
August 18th, 2011, 11:50 AM
Yikes. I've been under a lot of stress and anxiety lately and it think it's bad when my hair seems to come out a lot, but it's never come out in clumps like that. I hope the hairdresser recommended she see a doctor.

Nae
August 18th, 2011, 12:22 PM
Well, the trick is, was it breaking off in clumps. If so the hairdresser may have some good tips, like Eric had. If it was falling out isn't that a more serious issue that would require a visit to the doctor.

Maybe it was so damaged and fragile that it just looked like it was falling out when it was just breaking off at the scalp line. Who knows. Either way, I wish the best for that lady. I am glad I don't have that issue, either way.

And after witnessing my almost bald grandma, I hope to keep it that way.

mallorykay13
August 18th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Dear Hair:
Never forget that I love you and will never let anything like that happen to you. Shhh, it's okay. Love you my precious darling baby.
-Joey

Hahha, I lol'd. <3 you.