PDA

View Full Version : Are my scissors bad?

MyKing'sQueen
August 14th, 2011, 03:50 PM
My husband used my hair scissors to cut a plastic bag with:eek: Do you guys think I should buy a new pair now?

kyandii
August 14th, 2011, 04:38 PM
I'd get them sharpened?
Someone used mine to cut felt, I got them sharpened and they're as good as new.

oddbeat
August 14th, 2011, 06:07 PM
I had a similar situation the other day. I accidentally clipped a coupon with mine until I realized in horror that I grabbed the wrong pair. The scissors were brand new too! So I'm kinda wondering the same thing myself. I'm thinking one little piece of paper shouldn't have done too much damage though...right?

McFearless
August 14th, 2011, 06:13 PM
Take a shed hair and cut it. If the cut is sharp I don't see the problem. Hmm..

oddbeat
August 14th, 2011, 06:46 PM
Take a shed hair and cut it. If the cut is sharp I don't see the problem. Hmm..

:doh:Why didn't I think of that? Good idea!

Carolyn
August 14th, 2011, 06:57 PM
Once probably didn't hurt anything. Make it clear to your husband he is never to use your scissors again.

MyKing'sQueen
August 14th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Once probably didn't hurt anything. Make it clear to your husband he is never to use your scissors again.
Oh, he knows that))))) He accidently used mine because they were right there. I'll be hiding them from now on:rolleyes:
kyandii, I only paid 10$ for mine so I think it would be easier to just buy another pair))) I would be furious if they were expensive ones though...
Thanks for the replies everyone!

MissManda
August 14th, 2011, 07:42 PM
I don't think using them on a plastic bag once should be too harmful, but do follow what McFearless said about testing on some shed hairs first. If you feel they need to be sharpened, then do that. :)

The same thing happened to me, too. My DBF used my hair scissors to cut some very thin saran wrap and he thought I was going to commit bloody murder when I saw him using the wrong scissors! I hide mine, too, so you're not the only one.

DBF is really good at sharpening things, though, and he's more than happy to sharpen them for me. :crush:

swearnsue
August 14th, 2011, 07:46 PM
Yes, hiding them is the best for the future. Men just don't get it about scissors. Mine would open boxes if I left them out within his reach. I catch him in the kitchen cutting stuff, with a regular knife, ON THE COUNTER and we have a cutting board right there.

Slinks
August 14th, 2011, 07:49 PM
once you get them sharpened again HIDE THEM !!! lol .. I just bought some two days ago and they are hidden from the whole family ..

:-) I came late to the party I see every one commented to hide them including yourself .. lol ..

MyKing'sQueen
August 15th, 2011, 12:16 AM
I don't think using them on a plastic bag once should be too harmful, but do follow what McFearless said about testing on some shed hairs first. If you feel they need to be sharpened, then do that. :)

The same thing happened to me, too. My DBF used my hair scissors to cut some very thin saran wrap and he thought I was going to commit bloody murder when I saw him using the wrong scissors! I hide mine, too, so you're not the only one.

DBF is really good at sharpening things, though, and he's more than happy to sharpen them for me. :crush:
That made me laugh:laugh:

MyKing'sQueen
August 15th, 2011, 12:17 AM
Yes, hiding them is the best for the future. Men just don't get it about scissors. Mine would open boxes if I left them out within his reach. I catch him in the kitchen cutting stuff, with a regular knife, ON THE COUNTER and we have a cutting board right there.
Ah, men will be men))))

MyKing'sQueen
August 15th, 2011, 12:34 AM
once you get them sharpened again HIDE THEM !!! lol .. I just bought some two days ago and they are hidden from the whole family ..

:-) I came late to the party I see every one commented to hide them including yourself .. lol ..
It's ok, thanks for posting:) At least now I know better than leaving my scissors around the house))))))

furnival
August 15th, 2011, 03:18 AM
I really wouldn't worry- if your scissors were capable of being blunted by cutting through one plastic bag then they'd be really, really bad scissors... :p

ETA: I agree- hiding them from men is essential. Step away from the scissors!

MyKing'sQueen
August 15th, 2011, 03:25 AM
I really wouldn't worry- if your scissors were capable of being blunted by cutting through one plastic bag then they'd be really, really bad scissors... :p

ETA: I agree- hiding them from men is essential. Step away from the scissors!
Haha)) Yeah, I just tried them on some shed hairs and they seemed fine.

umbrellabones
August 17th, 2011, 04:34 PM
Slightly off topic but I was wondering why normal sewing scissors and such are bad for hair?

MyKing'sQueen
August 17th, 2011, 04:39 PM
Slightly off topic but I was wondering why normal sewing scissors and such are bad for hair?
I don't think they're bad unless you used them for cutting something else with, but that's just my opinion...

umbrellabones
August 17th, 2011, 08:33 PM
so its just how sharp they are? so i could super sharpen a pair of sewing scissors and it would work okay without damage?

MemoryXIII
August 17th, 2011, 10:17 PM
Oh my. You see, I used to think it was okay to cut my hair with my school scissors. I'm so glad I figured out otherwise.

MyKing'sQueen
August 17th, 2011, 10:18 PM
so its just how sharp they are? so i could super sharpen a pair of sewing scissors and it would work okay without damage?
I've read a couple articles on that and it seems to me that it's probably better to just buy a cheap pair of hair scissors( I paid like 10$ for mine at Sally's), because sharpening can cause the blades to move further apart and break your hair instead of cutting. But some people get theirs sharpened and it still seems to work fine for them:shrug:
Here are some articles I've read, hope it helps:
http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/archive/index.php/t-37887.html
http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/archive/index.php/t-27525.html

umbrellabones
August 18th, 2011, 05:19 PM
thank you(:

IanB
August 19th, 2011, 01:17 AM
Wow, all scissors are bad and banned from my house :D

MyKing'sQueen
August 20th, 2011, 03:36 AM
Haha))) I hope I'll be able to ban scissors from my house one day)))))