PDA

View Full Version : How to enhance natural waves and curled without mouse hairspray and gel

l0nd0nbr1dg3
August 14th, 2011, 03:06 PM
I don't want to use aloe Vera either.

Mairéad
August 14th, 2011, 03:07 PM
I've heard conditioner only washing and mildly acidic rinses (ACV or lemon) can help bring out curl. I'm sure some actual curlies will chime in, but this much I know.

RainbowHawk
August 14th, 2011, 03:14 PM
My hair is very fine, and I've recently learned that what it needs most is more protein. I've only been using it for a couple of days, but already my curls are bouncier. :cheese:

vcupcake
August 14th, 2011, 03:22 PM
I've recently started CO and ACV rinses and I'm amazed at how curly my hair has been! It's also a lot softer and shinier. I also make sure not to brush my hair when it's dry. I detangle and part my hair in the shower with a wide-toothed comb.

gthlvrmx
August 14th, 2011, 03:27 PM
Keep your hair in between the balance of too much protein and too much moisture. Plopping helps after a good CO wash and a good leave in helps define curls and keep frizzies away.

jeanniet
August 14th, 2011, 03:30 PM
I actually have fairly curly hair--I use a Tangle Teezer, which pulls out a lot of the curl. Anyway, if I want to bring out the curl I avoid using product on my hair. That seems to weigh it down. Wash and condition it, use a wide-tooth comb to detangle in the shower, then let it dry naturally and don't touch it until it's dry. This is very important. You can wrap it briefly in a towel or t-shirt to absorb excess water, but once you have it loose to dry, keep your hands off it as much as you can. Once it's dry, you can lightly spray it with a detangler (I use a homemade spray that consists of AVG, oil, and water in a 3:1:1 ratio) and finger comb. Voila--wurly hair!

spidermom
August 14th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Combing conditioner through in the shower, rinsing, and then being very careful not to mess your hair around too much can really bring out the wave/curl.

I do like styling products, though; they give more curl definition.

l0nd0nbr1dg3
August 14th, 2011, 03:51 PM
Good tips but I just caved and used aloe Vera gel its great it's just like gel but not bad I was looking for another solution cause I thought I didn't have it but I found some hassium tropics aloe Vera gel sweet

spidermom
August 14th, 2011, 04:21 PM
Make sure there are no 'caine products such as lidocaine in your aloe gel; they are very drying. They're great for relieving the pain of sunburn, not so great for hair.

SoulOfTheSea
August 14th, 2011, 04:22 PM
I like to use Kimberlily's defrizz spray (found here: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=277) when I put my hair in regular English braid or Rope braid pigtails. When I wake up in the morning, VOILA! Frizz free waves! :D I then like to put a bit of Jojoba oil in my hair after, just to make sure the frizzies stay at bay.

RedDevil
August 14th, 2011, 04:22 PM
I just recent embraced my curly hair after years of blow drying and using the flat iron. I CWC, detangle with my fingers in the shower. Wrap in a towel for a few minutes then let air dry. Do not comb or brush it! Do not separate your curls, you'll be tempted. Then when its all dry, i use a small amount of leave in conditioner.

SoulOfTheSea
August 14th, 2011, 04:24 PM
I just recent embraced my curly hair after years of blow drying and using the flat iron. I CWC, detangle with my fingers in the shower. Wrap in a towel for a few minutes then let air dry. Do not comb or brush it! Do not separate your curls, you'll be tempted. Then when its all dry, i use a small amount of leave in conditioner.

I second this! :cool:

l0nd0nbr1dg3
August 14th, 2011, 05:09 PM
The closest thing I got is triethanolamine, does that count as drying?

kidari
August 14th, 2011, 05:18 PM
Everyone's hair is different but I find that clarifying fairly often helps. Protein tends to give my hair a lot of volume and moisture helps enhance my curls or waves. The best my hair curls and the longest it holds a curl is after I clarify and do a moisture mask. I let everything air dry then I spray diluted cheap runny conditioner from a mister before damp bunning and the curls look like a hot roller set.

ManCityBlues
August 14th, 2011, 08:45 PM
ACV brings out my curls when i use it.

BeckyAH
August 14th, 2011, 10:03 PM
I second this! :cool:

Third. Keep your hands out of your hair. Don't comb, don't brush, don't fingercomb - nothing. ...It helps the curl and wave, but I can't do it. So I usually pull my own waves and curl out by the time it's dry. Or turn it into a frizzy mess.