View Full Version : Nighttime routine?

Darkhorse1
June 27th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Many moons ago, I used to braid my hair to sleep. However, I found that started to really become a problem. I'm a restless sleeper, so I found piling my hair on my pillow(behind it) works the best. However, I'm noticing a lot more breakage.

How do you all do your hair? Any restless sleepers out there that can give me advice? I'm a back sleeper, but my head lolls to the side.

Thanks gang!

Riot Crrl
June 27th, 2008, 02:45 PM
If you want to use a protective style while sleeping on your back, simply place it way on top of your head. That's what I do if I had been wearing my hair down.

The French braid actually seems the best at keeping all the ends in and not looking too much like I slept in a bush, but if I had been wearing my hair down and curly with gel in it there is just no way I'd be able to separate and wrangle it to make this.

julya
June 27th, 2008, 02:46 PM
I braid, then wrap my hair around my head and cover with a buff. Works great!

girlcat36
June 27th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Get a silk pillowcase!!!

daydreamer
June 27th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Mine is wet when I sleep usually, so I sleep with it draped loose over my pillow. I use a satin pillow cover. I have actually noticed less breakage this way than when I used to bun it, for some reason.

lora410
June 27th, 2008, 02:49 PM
I used to high bun my hair, but after a few weeks it got uncomfortable. It likes to be loose during sleepy time;preferably above my head, but occasionally trying to choke me to death:lol:

Darkhorse1
June 27th, 2008, 02:57 PM
I tend to wash my hair at night as well, so perhaps I will splurge on a silk pillow case. :)

I used to do a high braid and keep the braid above my head, so that might work too :)
Thanks!

Curlsgirl
June 27th, 2008, 03:01 PM
I am same as you on how I sleep but not a restless sleeper normally. Still a braid or any kind of restraint on my hair drives me nutty. So I just detangle, put some oil on it and drape it over the pillow. I use a high thread count pillow can't stand a satin pillowcase. I hate sliding around. :D I don't notice breakage from it but maybe because I don't really usually toss and turn, just sleep the same pretty much all night except turn over once or tiwice from my right side to my back. Oops, guess I'm no help.

(backs out of thread apologetically) :o

LadyMoon11
June 27th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Usually two braids or two buns. I sleep on my stomach.

Shorty89
June 27th, 2008, 07:27 PM
I tried buns, but the pins I use to secure the buns would give me breakage. I braid it and toss it over my head for the night. I don't see much breakage from that. I have tried crown braids and they seem to work well. Unfortunately, I am horrible at crow braids.

goldenwaves
June 27th, 2008, 08:22 PM
I just leave it out and push it up above my head. I'm a very restless sleeper (well, at least I move around a lot when going to sleep) but this seems to work fine. I sleep on my back, sides and sometimes lay on my front when I am tossig and turning and can't sleep.

1nuitblanche
June 27th, 2008, 08:36 PM
I've started french braiding it. I move around like crazy though, so I end up with lots of it out of the braid by morning. Sometimes I high bun it, but since I wear my hair like that for work, it makes my scalp tired. For a long time, I just slept with it down, and it was ok enough, some breakage, some smothering during sleep, etc.

OR Cowgirl
June 27th, 2008, 08:52 PM
I try to vary how I wear my hair to bed. The styles I use are: Banded Ponytail (you could pull it over your shoulder before you start banding), braid (whichever I feel like), Hairymonsters pinless bun (can't remember what it's really called) secured with a scrunchie and worn high on my head, or loose and draped over the back of my pillow (just discovered that it would work not long ago!). But I probably slept with it loose all the time until I was well past mid back.

Mariah

Patrycja
June 27th, 2008, 10:02 PM
I'm a right side sleeper and have yet to find something that's comfortable.After reading this thread,I am most definately going to invest in a silk pillow case.Well,cases since I sleep with three pillows :D

Right now,I usually put my hair in a high bun or let it loose.The problem is that if I can't stand it being loose(since I get so hot during the summer time here),I put it up in that bun.When it's in the bun,I wake up and its all fallign down and barely up anymore.I know it breaks a bunch of strands when I toss and turn.Maybe the silk pillow case will help with that.

Thanks!

serenitygal
June 27th, 2008, 10:12 PM
I opt for a damp tucked-under french braid, and wear a hairnet at night. The hairnet has really cut back on the breakage and frizzies--but then, I do tend to be a restless sleeper.

Chromis
June 27th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Single braid, French if I'm feeling energetic. It gets too tangled loose and attempts to strangle us both. My scalp hurts when I do high buns normally, so I shy away from trying to sleep in one and banded pony tails feel too bumpy and I'm worried that I'll break hairs when pulling it through all those elastics.

SilverLocks
June 27th, 2008, 11:21 PM
I mostly wear it loose and throw it over the pillow, which is covered with a silk pillowcase. Sometimes I'll top-bun it, but more and more lazy I am and loose it is. Seems fine, no breakage. :shrug:

Boon
June 28th, 2008, 12:27 AM
I sleep with my hair in a braid or loose, above the pillow.

tiny_teesha
June 28th, 2008, 12:48 AM
I am an extremely restless sleeper. I toss, i turn, and i'm awake. I sleep light and i get annoyed and really roll around in fury trying to get comfy. I think what i do it SO protective. I used to sleep in a plait/braid, but now i have an even better idea.
Not only do i sleep on a satin pillow case, but i bought some fabric at a fabric store, it feels like satin or silk, i think it is silk actually. Anyways (it was in the cut offs bin) I made a pouch out of it, for my hair. So at night i tie my hair at the nape with a satin scrunchie or a terri towel type hair tye and then slip the pouch over it. I sewed elastic in the pouch rim really tight so it stays on all night!
I love it my hair is perfectly silky in the morning. I also pin back my bangs because they annoy me at night. :) HTH

eadwine
June 28th, 2008, 02:02 AM
I bun it in my 10sec quick bun at night using a bent knitting needle. I have no trouble sleeping on my back either with this style.

paradoxx
June 28th, 2008, 03:56 AM
A silk pillowcase really helped my hair. :agree: Sadly, my dog killed it during her puppyhood and I have satin currently. If you don't mind plain white (or dying it yourself) this website has great silk pillowcases for a good price. http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/1384272-AA.shtml?lnav=clothing.html I haven't found high grade silk cases for any cheaper and I've definitely looked.

brixxgirl16
July 2nd, 2008, 11:59 AM
My hair always got horribly tangled while I slept, so I've taken to putting in elastics every inch or two down the length, which keeps it lovely and tangle-free. the only downside is that removing the elastics can break my hair if I'm not really careful, which kind of defeats the purpose. So I just remove them very carefully. :)

burns_erin
July 2nd, 2008, 12:07 PM
I coil it like I am going to put it in a bun, then toss it over the pillow, that way as I roll, it either coils more or starts to uncoil, if I wake up and it happens to be down, it is easy and fast to coil it and toss it back over the pillow again. DH has gotten into the acto too, if he wakes up and it is down he will coil and move it too. I have not tried a satin or silk pillow case yet but that will be my next step. If it feels like it is going to be an extraordinarily restless night, or I just can not stand the thought of it being down, I put it in a looped pony tail. I sometimes find it straggling if I wake up in the middle of the night, but it is quick and easy to redo.

Curlsgirl
July 2nd, 2008, 01:17 PM
Since I posted earlier in the thread I found a MUCH better and more comfortable way to sleep! I put my hair on top of my head in a very loose cinnabun with 2 small/medium claw clips on each side, sometimes only one will hold fine. I have no tangles in the morning and can't feel the claw clips and it is very cool too. My scalp doesn't get sore because I wrap it very loosely and it is balanced. :cheese:

Anne~
July 2nd, 2008, 01:51 PM
I braid my hair without tying it at the end and put it in a silk cap from Wal-mart. No frizzies for me!

Islandgrrl
July 2nd, 2008, 01:59 PM
I don't do the same thing every night. Sometimes I braid and just toss the end of the braid forward over my shoulder so my DH doesn't end up on it. Sometimes (like last night) I left it loose (it was wet). Sometimes I bun. I guess it just depends on my mood, how hot it is in the house and whether the next day is a work day or a snooze day - I'm more likely to contain it on a work night - easier in the morning!

Belisama
July 2nd, 2008, 02:30 PM
I currently just do a simple English braid and pull it over my shoulder. I primarily sleep on my back, but roll onto my sides throughout the night. I can't sleep with it loose as one of my cats is obsessed with my hair. Anytime she can get a hold of it, she bathes it, incessantly. And it is really fine, so it gets caught on her tongue and she tries to swallow and well...I end up pulling soggy strands of hair out of a choking kitten's throat. I have enough trouble with her finding the end of the braid and bathing it. Mmmmmm, bad-breath kitty slobber.

erbe
July 2nd, 2008, 03:00 PM
My hair always got horribly tangled while I slept, so I've taken to putting in elastics every inch or two down the length, which keeps it lovely and tangle-free. the only downside is that removing the elastics can break my hair if I'm not really careful, which kind of defeats the purpose. So I just remove them very carefully. :)

I read in a magazine when I was a teen to use old cut up pantyhose and to tie your hair this way at night.

I personally just bought a silk hair cap and will see how that works for me.

erbe

SweetPea88
July 2nd, 2008, 03:25 PM
Teesha your idea sounds really good! I might have to give it a try.

For right now I use a satin pillowcase and usually braid my hair. I braid slightly looser than normal to avoid pulling. I also apply coconut oil at night and it helps keep the braid together nicely. I used to sleep with it down and plopped over the pillow, but now that it's longer it's a little harder.

SweetPea88
July 2nd, 2008, 03:26 PM
Eep! Double post, sorry!

KittyCat
July 2nd, 2008, 03:44 PM
I usually braid my hair or leave it loose under a soft scarf. This works very well for me. I'm a bedroller too. And I'm pretty bad...

Anje
July 2nd, 2008, 03:54 PM
I braid my hair without tying it at the end and put it in a silk cap from Wal-mart. No frizzies for me!

That's exactly what I do, down to the source for the sleep cap. Some nights, I just wrap it, loose, around my hand, then shove it in the bonnet -- depends how energetic I feel and whether I want to deal with braidwaves the next day.

spidermom
July 2nd, 2008, 03:59 PM
I can only sleep with a braid if I do it on the left side just behind/below my ear. My favorite bedtime routine is to make a bun on top of my head, but then I toss and turn across the hairs at the nape of my neck, and they're badly thrashed. I'm lucky that I have a large volume of hair; it doesn't really show. I think I'm the only one who notices.

susiemw
July 2nd, 2008, 04:16 PM
last night I tried something different and really liked it.

I put a ponytail on the top of my head, braided it, then wrapped it around into a bun type thing and secured it with
one claw clip.

It stayed all night and even looked 1/2 way decent in the
morning.
I think i'll stick with this idea for a while.

susan

iluvmy67cuda
July 3rd, 2008, 11:57 PM
I wash my hair at night, but even when im not, i do it the same way always. Just a really loose bun with no ties, or anything on it, and just put my silk sleeping cap on. Since i got my silk cap, my hair has gotten so much healthier, not to mention they are so comfortable!! And when i wake up i just finger comb my hair and im ready to go. I LOVE SILK. (Before i got my cap i braided it always, and had to fight horrible knot monsters in the morning LOL).

podo
July 5th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Arg!! I read through all the posts but haven't found anything that works yet. :(

I sleep on both sides and my back. I have my DH on one side and a cat (or two) on the other. My DH and I cuddle all night, and generally when one shifts sides the other one does too. Sometimes this involves traveling across the bed.

I've tried all of the ideas posted here (though maybe not exactly as posted) and I sleep on a satin pillowcase, but nothing works!! My hair is almost waist length and the best I can do is put in two dutch braids and try not to think about the ends.

I have tried caps and I even had a snood made with a satin lining, but if I tie them tightly they make marks on my face that don't go away by the time I get to work. If I tie them any more loosely they fall off somewhere in the night. My hair is really slick.

The only other thing that even sometimes works is to make a bun (either a real bun or just wrap/twist a couple times) on top of my head and clip it down. That generally stays all night, though my hair is very tangled in the morning, and I know I'm breaking some of the hairs with the clip.

*sniff* Does anyone have any other ideas? Nighttime is the only time I seem to really have trouble with my hair.

FlowerHair
July 10th, 2008, 03:54 AM
I loosely twist my hair and pin it up with a hair comb. That seems to be the best for me at this point since my hair is thick and it's uncomfortable to sleep on a hard bun or braid.

aprilshowers
August 28th, 2018, 03:20 PM
I also use a silk pillowcase which is really nice, and then i put in 2 English braids and that has been working for me :)

Ylva
August 28th, 2018, 06:48 PM
I brush my hair, leave it loose and place it behind the pillow or wherever it's safe depending on what position I lie in. I'm not a fan of sleeping with buns or braids, at least I'm definitely not used to that. I know my way is not ideal, but it works alright for me. I have gotten so accustomed to protecting my hair that even in my sleep I tend to reposition it somewhere safe if I switch position. I should invest in a hair friendlier pillow case, though. :)

Fallow
August 28th, 2018, 09:50 PM
Every once in a while I sleep in a braid, or with a headband on, but with braids I worry my hair will rub too much, especially since I have layers that tend to poke out.

Most nights, I keep it loose and just place it behind my head across the pillow to keep it out of the way. I generally swap which side I'm sleeping on at least a couple times in the night but I just move my hair to the other side when I do. Maybe when it gets longer I'll need to use a different method, though!

Simsy
August 29th, 2018, 05:40 AM
Arg!! I read through all the posts but haven't found anything that works yet. :(

I sleep on both sides and my back. I have my DH on one side and a cat (or two) on the other. My DH and I cuddle all night, and generally when one shifts sides the other one does too. Sometimes this involves traveling across the bed.

I've tried all of the ideas posted here (though maybe not exactly as posted) and I sleep on a satin pillowcase, but nothing works!! My hair is almost waist length and the best I can do is put in two dutch braids and try not to think about the ends.

I have tried caps and I even had a snood made with a satin lining, but if I tie them tightly they make marks on my face that don't go away by the time I get to work. If I tie them any more loosely they fall off somewhere in the night. My hair is really slick.

The only other thing that even sometimes works is to make a bun (either a real bun or just wrap/twist a couple times) on top of my head and clip it down. That generally stays all night, though my hair is very tangled in the morning, and I know I'm breaking some of the hairs with the clip.

*sniff* Does anyone have any other ideas? Nighttime is the only time I seem to really have trouble with my hair.

I personally use 2 Dutch braids and pin/sew them up around my head, milkmaid style. I’m using a braided vortex bun this week because I wasn’t able to wash my hair last week. High pony, braided into 3 English braids and pinned into submission. I find bobby pins to be fairly comfortable to sleep in; providing I get the position right and they just vanish as far as my scalp is concerned. You may also have luck with hairsticks for nighttime; I have a wavy one that holds a nautilus loose against the scalp and solid as concrete; I have also had luck with my short fork. Try the stick both horizontal and vertical; I find vertical more comfortable.

I find if I braid my hair; not tightly but also not loosely; and wrap it into a loose bun, it is usually not too bad in the morning. The braid is key; it keeps everything well behaved while the bun keeps everything safely out of harms way. I use small clips to secure a long bun running up the back of my head; but I do sleep on my side or front so ymmv. High braided buns clipped/pinned loosely up on top of your head may also be a good position if you sleep on your back.

ETA: bobby pins, I swear...booby pins :laugh:

xoAshley
August 29th, 2018, 06:55 AM
I've tried braids.. they don't seem to work for me, I end up with half of my hair out of the braid. I'm usually on my back, so like others I just toss it up and over the top of the pillow above my head and it seems to stay that way most of the night.

GrowlingCupcake
August 29th, 2018, 02:20 PM
Ooh, resurrected old thread xD

Note: I am an extremely restless sleeper. I toss, I turn, I kick my partner, hit my partner, my pillows end up all over the place, my blanket ends up upside down. If my partner is next to me in bed on his laptop, I frequently kick it (and his laptop table is around hip height or higher when I am lying down).

I've been experimenting with how to wear my hair while I sleep. When I was around mid-back, a single braid was easy, and comfortable, but somewhere between mid-back to waist, it started getting annoying. Then I switched to double braids or occasionally a side braid. I also tend to wake up without my hair ties.

Then I tried a sleep cap, and would shove my untied off braids in there; horrible idea. I think the problem was the one I got. Because I move around so much, it led to breakage at my nape. I would also frequently wake up without the cap.

Now I'm experimenting between the following:
Single braid (straight down the back or side) or twin braids - great for braid waves, but it's still uncomfortable, and gets stuck under me, in my elbows, arm pits, under my partner, etc. I also lose any hair ties I started out the night with.
Single braid (straight down the back or side) or twin braids (usually untied) with a satin/silk scarf wrapped around my head - great for braid waves, and the satin/silk wrap is good because it just glides along my hair rather than ripping any hair. The wrap also seems to help with my hair drying out. I will frequently wake up without the wrap, and if I did tie off the braids, without the ties.
Bun on top of my head with a Furnival's bridge fork, with the satin/silk wrap - very comfortable, but I'm worried about the high bun pulling too much on my nape hairs as I move around; it's not too tight, and I don't feel any discomfort, plus my nape hairs don't seem to be breaking off anymore so it is probably fine. I frequently wake up without both fork, and wrap. Oh! It does give me some nice volume on the top of my head if I can make it through the night with the fork on. The bun waves aren't anything spectacular, but it does keep my hair a little wavy.
Loose, over the top of my pillow/down the back of the bed - super tangly in the morning, gets everywhere, but works for when I am lazy. My hair also does not ever stay over the top of my pillow/down the back since I move so much. I think if I tried the wrap with this, my hair would just get caught in the knots.

I will add that the wrap is quite easy to shove back over a bun when I wake up, and find it off but not as easy to shove back over braids.

My next plans are:
Loosely tied top bun/ponytail with a scrunchie + wrap - I might also braid the pony tail, and then use spin pins to bun it; so far they are the only pins that don't try to eventually come out of my hair.
Coronet style braids - not sure if I will use the wrap with this. I'm also not sure how to do this since, from what I know, bobby pins are not hair's best friend.

I think for any restless sleepers, it's important to change up how you wear your hair for sleep.

esfand
August 29th, 2018, 03:25 PM
I pile my hair up over the pillow and I use a silk pillowcase.

deeisme
August 29th, 2018, 06:40 PM
I brush my hair upside down with a wooden pin brush, twist my hair into a relatively snug bun on top of my head held with two 1" Goodie Ouchless clips, and sleep on a silk pillowcase. That seems to work pretty well for me.

It does make sense to change things up though as the same style over and over likely puts stress on one's hair. I think my alternate plans are to braid either one on the side or twin braids tied with ribbon. That should keep things secure so I don't loose hair ties and not stress my ends. A single braid at the crown drapped over my pillow might work too.

TatsuOni
August 31st, 2018, 07:42 AM
One or more braids and different types of them combined with a satin pillowcase works for me. But I don't move much in my sleep and when I do, I automatically move my braid in my sleep :laugh:

Crna Kosa
August 31st, 2018, 02:22 PM
I used to bun my hair on top of ny head and use a claw clip to secure it . But since I bought anatomical pillow mu bun just hangs off of the pullow because the pillow is too short and it hurts. I'm now braiding my hair but now sure how to secure the braid without any damage :/

MusicalSpoons
August 31st, 2018, 04:02 PM
I used to bun my hair on top of ny head and use a claw clip to secure it . But since I bought anatomical pillow mu bun just hangs off of the pullow because the pillow is too short and it hurts. I'm now braiding my hair but now sure how to secure the braid without any damage :/

You could maybe try a small satin scrunchie, or a hairtie made from strips cut off a pair of tights. I believe there are also soft fabric ties, but I don't know how small they go or how hair-friendly they are.

nikittyy
September 21st, 2018, 04:07 PM
I french or dutch braid my hair, wrap it in a silk scarf, and then go to sleep!

Arciela
September 21st, 2018, 04:30 PM
I pile my hair up over the pillow and I use a silk pillowcase.

This is what I usually do as well. I try to use my silk bonnet but I wake up and its usually somewhere else..lol always falls off.

lakhesis
September 21st, 2018, 05:31 PM
I use a satin scrunchie to make a low ponytail, then I braid it and tie the end with hair friendly tie and I sleep on a satin pillowcase. If I am oiling my hair overnight I either put another satin scarf over my pillow or I sleep in satin hair cap :) (can you tell I really love satin stuff?)

lillii
September 21st, 2018, 07:49 PM
I oil my hair probably 5 night a week, braid, and then wrap with a silk scarf. The other two nights, I'll do a ballerina bun right at the start of my hairline, secure it with a silk scrunchie loosely, and sleep on a silk pillow case.

lithostoic
September 21st, 2018, 08:50 PM
Too long to be braided. Gets caught under me. Loose hair is long enough that it stays out of my way (ironically) when I turn over. I wear it loose or in a scrunchied topknot lately. I'm worried about breakage around my hairline though. I have enough baby hairs!!

LittleHealthy
September 21st, 2018, 09:40 PM
I was doing a bun with a velvet scrunchie, but have started wearing it loose to bed (with satin pillowcase) because I don’t want anything to pull at my hairline, as I’ll be expecting my next round of post partum hairloss to kick in, in a few months, so trying to minimise any pulling!!

Rebeccalaurenxx
September 21st, 2018, 11:16 PM
Well, for a long time i was wearing my hair in a braid or loose. But I think its giving me damage.
I would wear a pony tail or have it loose and would eventually wake up to it being caught UNDERNEATH my DBF. lol
When i wear it in a braid, it seems ok, but it completely ruins my curl pattern.
I bought some silk scrunchies and I want to try pineapple bunning it on top my head, but I am worried ill get a headache.
Finding myself with very little options really lol

MemeAimee
October 5th, 2018, 11:34 PM
I have a satin pillowcase, and I like to french braid my hair when I can. When I do a normal braid my hair is everywhere when I wake up.

RottenMango
April 25th, 2019, 06:45 PM
I sleep in a bun, but I always loosen it of course. Tight buns are not good at all even though they look very pretty.

GrowinIt
April 25th, 2019, 06:48 PM
I take any bobby pins or scrunchies out of my hair and go to sleep without doing anything to it, other than sleep on a satin pillowcase.

ExpectoPatronum
April 25th, 2019, 07:54 PM
I pineapple my hair. I've done this for so long that I can't sleep with my hair down anymore.

pinkypoo
April 25th, 2019, 11:02 PM
I usually just loosely pile mine into a sleeping cap or silk scarf. I also sleep on a silk pillowcase because it is good for my skin and keeps cool. As someone whose hair is chronically tangled this works the best for me.

Haven
April 25th, 2019, 11:44 PM
I sleep on my side, so I throw it in a LWB with my fork and make sure to position it vertically so it doesn't poke into the pillow. It keeps my hair from tangling up while I sleep effectively. Braids work about the same for me, but take longer to make.

Begemot
April 26th, 2019, 12:57 AM
I switch my nighttime style often but usually I wear a messy top knot. Sometimes I let my hair be loose, or make two English braids or one English braid on top of my head.