PDA

View Full Version : Hair growth timeline?

dmarie63
August 13th, 2011, 11:11 PM
Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone could give me a general timeline? My hair was trimmed to shoulder length at the end of December 2010, and I haven't trimmed my hair at all since. In August 2011 it is at upper back length, and I probably have about 3 more inches until APL.

So I was trying to kind of estimate when I would hit certain markers. Is it possible for me to hit APL by New Year's? BSL by Summer 2012? Waist by Xmas 2012? If I have a mini goal length and have a timeframe during which I think I will reach that length, I think I'll have more thoughts like "Yes, my hair is growing quicker than I expected!" rather than "My hair is taking forever to grow..."

Guesstimates would be much appreciated, or even just hearing from other how long it took you to get from X-length to Y-length. :)

Much love and hair growth!
~ Danni

Khiwanean
August 13th, 2011, 11:18 PM
The average growth rate per month is about 1/2 inch. Assuming you have a perfectly average growth rate and you don't trim and experience negligible breakage, you should reach APL in 6 months: Valentine's Day. You can calculate the rest from there. If you keep track of your growth rate you should be able to guesstimate when you'll reach landmarks with more accuracy. Be aware that many people experience seasonal changes in growth rate.

BeckyAH
August 13th, 2011, 11:19 PM
Everyone's hair grows at a different rate - average is about .5 inches a month, but even within an individual it's not a consistent growth rate (some people's hair stalls at various lengths, or during times of stress, or even cold or hot weather), and body markers make it harder since we're build differently. I have the shortest torso ever, so once I hit BSL, it'll take me all of about 3 more inches to hit waist length.

But, as far as personal markers go - I was exactly at shoulder late October of last year, and am right now about an inch and a half past APL - but again short torso. And short neck.

gthlvrmx
August 13th, 2011, 11:26 PM
If you give your average rate of growth per month it'd be very helpful to figure out an estimation.

dmarie63
August 13th, 2011, 11:29 PM
If you give your average rate of growth per month it'd be very helpful to figure out an estimation.

I actually don't measure yet, so I'm not sure of my personal rate of growth. :\ I had a measuring tape and had my hair measurement at one time, but have since misplaced it.

monsterna
August 13th, 2011, 11:31 PM
It took me roughly a year to get from shoulder to full APL (May to May). I'll be at BSL in ~3 inches or so. I'll reach that within 4-6 months I think. So that'll be a bit under a year from reaching APL. Most likely I'll hit waist by October next year, give or take a month or so.

Also as others said, it depends on your growth rate and your body build.

dmarie63
August 14th, 2011, 12:26 AM
Ok, I just did a rough measurement with one of those stiff measuring tapes located in toolboxes lol. Looks like my current length is 20" or so and I need about 9 more inches to waist... so in a 18 months I might be at waist, which is nice. :)

So I'm looking at 3 inches to APL will probably take 6 months or so, then 3 more inches to BSL which means I'll probably be there at this time next year. Then around V-day in 2013 I should be at waist! :D

Provided I don't trim at all, of course...

monsterna
August 14th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Provided I don't trim at all, of course...

I haven't trimmed since December 2009. :) It's doable. S&D will be your friend.