PDA

View Full Version : How do you know if cones are right for you or not?

GabrielleRose
August 13th, 2011, 10:31 PM
I was wondering, how do you know if cones are right for you? I've been using all natural for about 6 months and I guess it's OK for me. I don't really know. I suffer from splits and tangles and I just can't seem to find an HG status for me. When I used Aussie the stylist commented that my hair looked really nice, except it was a little dry and splits but I needed a trim at the time. But even with organic now I still have splits. I'm just all so very confused. :confused:

Leena7
August 13th, 2011, 10:38 PM
I would switch back to something with cones like Aussie if you want to for a little bit and see how it goes.

BeckyAH
August 13th, 2011, 10:40 PM
I have gone cone free. My hair was frizzy, dry and wild.

With cones my hair is slippy, shiny, and manageable.

Honestly, just go with what makes your hair feel the best and the easiest for you. For me - that's cones. I like the slip I get with them. For other people, it's cone-free. It's really down to whatever makes you happiest with the stuff attached to your head.

Idjit
August 13th, 2011, 10:45 PM
Cones make my hair greasy, flat, limp, and generally disgusting so it was easy for me to tell they were not for me. Now that I know what ingredients to look out for I can actually use conditioner and make my hair happy. Some people can use stuff with cones or without and get close to the same results. Just keep trying different products till you find what works for you.

GabrielleRose
August 13th, 2011, 10:47 PM
I would switch back to something with cones like Aussie if you want to for a little bit and see how it goes.

I would go back to it, but I have found out they test on animals so that's a no go for me. Are there any cone products that don't test on animals?

Honestly, just go with what makes your hair feel the best and the easiest for you. For me - that's cones. I like the slip I get with them. For other people, it's cone-free. It's really down to whatever makes you happiest with the stuff attached to your head.

Well, I have noticed my hair getting fuller but I doubt that is the organics because if it were how come I'm barely realizing this 6 months into the products. I also had very thick hair but a bad thinning just killed it. :( I believe my thickness is coming back so... SWEET!!! I didn't notice frizz with either, but like I said when my hair was thicker I had crazy afro like hair that was frizzy. It's confusing, but maybe organic is the way? lol! Sorry if this was so confusing. I'm confusing myself.

Khiwanean
August 13th, 2011, 10:48 PM
I stayed cone free because my hair is just noticeably more soft, shiny and wavy without cones. However, it also has a lot less slip. I guess it really depends on what's most important to you as far as the advantages cones or coneless products give you. For me, the waves and shine are important to me. I do have to be more gentle when working through my hair as tangles don't just fall out, but being conefree doesn't turn my hair into a super-tangly mess. If it did, I would be using cones again in a heartbeat. My hair would be much worse off if I couldn't detangle it effectively, even if wasn't as shiny or wavy as I would have hoped.

GabrielleRose
August 13th, 2011, 10:49 PM
Cones make my hair greasy, flat, limp, and generally disgusting so it was easy for me to tell they were not for me. Now that I know what ingredients to look out for I can actually use conditioner and make my hair happy. Some people can use stuff with cones or without and get close to the same results. Just keep trying different products till you find what works for you.

I didn't find cones made me hair greasy or flat but maybe thinner? But can cones or SLS actually thin hair?

GabrielleRose
August 13th, 2011, 10:52 PM
I stayed cone free because my hair is just noticeably more soft, shiny and wavy without cones. However, it also has a lot less slip. I guess it really depends on what's most important to you as far as the advantages cones or coneless products give you. For me, the waves and shine are important to me. I do have to be more gentle when working through my hair as tangles don't just fall out, but being conefree doesn't turn my hair into a super-tangly mess. If it did, I would be using cones again in a heartbeat. My hair would be much worse off if I couldn't detangle it effectively, even if wasn't as shiny or wavy as I would have hoped.

Well, I do have quite a bit of shine going on like crazy due to the organic products, but I have always had quite shiny and soft hair but it does seem to be enhanced with organic products. I just wish the organic stuff smelled a little better...

BeckyAH
August 13th, 2011, 10:54 PM
Well, I have noticed my hair getting fuller but I doubt that is the organics because if it were how come I'm barely realizing this 6 months into the products. I also had very thick hair but a bad thinning just killed it. :( I believe my thickness is coming back so... SWEET!!! I didn't notice frizz with either, but like I said when my hair was thicker I had crazy afro like hair that was frizzy. It's confusing, but maybe organic is the way? lol! Sorry if this was so confusing. I'm confusing myself.

I would guess - and it is just a guess - that the thickness is just the thinned (cut) parts of your hair growing back again and starting to come back. My hair just loses it's MIND without cones, and it really was super-duper obvious. And, truthfully, I have bleached out parts of my hair (:p...like the blue hair in the icon wouldn't have been a clue *G*) which probably really need the cones to keep from turning into velcro.

luthein
August 13th, 2011, 10:54 PM
The Body Shop's Rainforest Moisture Hair Butter line is cone-free and is cruelty-free. I haven't had great success with it, but many LHCers absolutely love it.

For me, I noticed that cones shouldn't be an all-or-nothing deal. I mix my coney conditioners (Pantene or Garnier Fructis) with Suave or V05 non-coned conditioners.

I've noticed that my ratio is roughly 30% cone / 70% non-cone. It gives me the slip I need to detangle my hair, and it doesn't weigh my hair down as much.

I knew silicones were for me when my no-cone endeavor ended with dull hair that matted and tangled.

BeckyAH
August 13th, 2011, 10:57 PM
I noticed that cones shouldn't be an all-or-nothing deal.

Actually, this is more true of my. I CWC - and only my final Conditioner has cones. The first conditioner and the shampoo are cone-free.

GabrielleRose
August 13th, 2011, 11:02 PM
I would guess - and it is just a guess - that the thickness is just the thinned (cut) parts of your hair growing back again and starting to come back. My hair just loses it's MIND without cones, and it really was super-duper obvious. And, truthfully, I have bleached out parts of my hair (:p...like the blue hair in the icon wouldn't have been a clue *G*) which probably really need the cones to keep from turning into velcro.

I was thinking that too, but I wonder why I took almost 5 years for it to show up? Your hair is awesome, and if the cones protect it then go for it! ;)

The Body Shop's Rainforest Moisture Hair Butter line is cone-free and is cruelty-free. I haven't had great success with it, but many LHCers absolutely love it.

For me, I noticed that cones shouldn't be an all-or-nothing deal. I mix my coney conditioners (Pantene or Garnier Fructis) with Suave or V05 non-coned conditioners.

I've noticed that my ratio is roughly 30% cone / 70% non-cone. It gives me the slip I need to detangle my hair, and it doesn't weigh my hair down as much.

I knew silicones were for me when my no-cone endeavor ended with dull hair that matted and tangled.

Thank you for telling me about The Body Shop products, I'll have to check them out. ;) As for cones and no cones I've had tangles with both so I'm not sure. I like using SLS and cones because my blonde hair really shows like crazy, but organic because I like the idea of all natural and cruelty free. But I wonder if the products could really penetrate the hair and create a difference?

Loreley
August 14th, 2011, 01:35 AM
Cones give a slip to my hair but when I use them 2 days after washing it becomes frizzy and dry. I have much more tangles and knots in my hair when I use cones.

Rosetta
August 14th, 2011, 01:39 AM

This +.

Although my hair isn't really that wild without cones, but looks and feels drier and frizzier, yes. :)

Mesmerise
August 14th, 2011, 03:33 AM
The only thing you can do is test!

I went cone free and couldn't figure out why my hair always looked so horrible :rolleyes: I saw some old pics of myself when I was a Pantene affictionado and my hair was silky and shiny looking.

I went back to using cones and my hair improved!!

Celebrian
August 14th, 2011, 05:35 AM

This sounds interesting. I'll try it, thanks.

I'm no-cone atm - and have thick hair that is shiny, but feels a bit crispy. I prefer my long silk, but must try and avoid the roots with cones, as it can flatten my hair a bit.

Sunny_side_up
August 14th, 2011, 07:53 AM
I was using cones after shampooing on and off last year, i felt they gave me shine and tamed the ends which can get dry and a little fly away after being in sunshine. But my hair seemed weighted down and lanky quickly, also scalp itchies from the slightest bit of cones touching it/ combination of sls alongside it?!:confused:
so back then felt i had to wash regularly! My hair is virgin and has been for a few years. I have noticed major improvements in my hair and scalp since avoiding sls and cones. I used to use these all the time for years, however have found my skin is more sensitive as im maturing.

Nowadays i use Jason shampoo or Dr organic and no cones. If i think i have dryness from some hot days in the sun, then i'll leave oil on for a couple hours then shampoo and let it dry naturally. Im currently using Jason apricot shine shampoo, love it. My hair feels clean and nourished when i use sls free shampoo. Better volume and movement of my hair without cones. No more itchy scalp and raw knuckles:) My skin and hair are happy again. I hardly shed at all too:)
Then theres people whose hair thrives on those products containing such things, so everybody is different. Give yourself trial periods with products and work out if your skin and hair are content with these.

spidermom
August 14th, 2011, 09:29 AM
I like to use cone-free shampoo and conditioner 2-3 times per week plus my CHI Silk Infusion coney serum about every 10 days, which makes my hair much easier to detangle. I find that if I use the serum much more often than that, it has the opposite effect, and the tangling gets even worse. Weird!

Copasetic
August 14th, 2011, 11:03 AM
I was wondering, how do you know if cones are right for you? I've been using all natural for about 6 months and I guess it's OK for me. I don't really know. I suffer from splits and tangles and I just can't seem to find an HG status for me. When I used Aussie the stylist commented that my hair looked really nice, except it was a little dry and splits but I needed a trim at the time. But even with organic now I still have splits. I'm just all so very confused. :confused:

It's really just trial and error. Your products should leave your hair soft and manageable.

You will know almost immediately if cones are not right for you. People that don't like them often mention things like plastic-looking hair, or hair that is coated and weighed down as reasons why they don't like cones.

NotInPortland
August 14th, 2011, 11:11 AM
I think the best thing you could probably do is just have a test period, say x amount of time using cones, x amount of time going cone free. I knpw there are loads of different products within each category which might have different effects on your hair but I imagine you'd get a general idea of which you prefer overall. During each test period you could keep track on things like appearance, feel and manageability of your hair :)

annieangel149
August 14th, 2011, 11:56 AM
it was tricky for me! cone free i liked the way my hair felt less weighed down but my hair became too dry and tangly! with cones i have the slightly weighed down feel at times but i use a clarifying shampoo once every 3rd week and it does help! overall i get on better using cones cos it leaves my hair feeling soft and silky! i can handle the slight weighed down that i get with cones but not dry, brittle tangly hair i get with no cones!

celebriangel
August 14th, 2011, 01:27 PM
If your hair is dyed or damaged, you're more likely to like cones. Also, my observation is that many of us with type 2 hair do very well going cone-free, but lots of straighties seem to like cones a lot more.

MonikaHa
August 14th, 2011, 03:23 PM
When I was bleaching my hair it did not mind SLS or cones. Now, I am using henna and oils. Couple of weeks ago I tried mo old coney conditioner, and my hair felt like plastic! It was sticky, stiff and dry.

QueenJoey
August 14th, 2011, 03:29 PM
I don't know if cones work for me or not, but I stick with all natural products anyways. Just a personal preference. My hair looked nice with cones, and it looks nice without them, too.

GabrielleRose
August 14th, 2011, 05:17 PM
it was tricky for me! cone free i liked the way my hair felt less weighed down but my hair became too dry and tangly! with cones i have the slightly weighed down feel at times but i use a clarifying shampoo once every 3rd week and it does help! overall i get on better using cones cos it leaves my hair feeling soft and silky! i can handle the slight weighed down that i get with cones but not dry, brittle tangly hair i get with no cones!

It is tricky for me as well, but I think my overall preference is natural and I'm hoping that natural will benefit me in the long run. :) I also get tangles either so oh well, but when I tried some products with cones a few days ago my hair was not good at all. It was stiff, and just felt rather coated. :(

If your hair is dyed or damaged, you're more likely to like cones. Also, my observation is that many of us with type 2 hair do very well going cone-free, but lots of straighties seem to like cones a lot more.

I don't dye my hair and I wouldn't call it damaged, it just has a few splits and tangles but other than that I'm fine. :) I think I'm ok with cones, but I believe natural is becoming more of preference to me.

GabrielleRose
August 14th, 2011, 05:25 PM
When I was bleaching my hair it did not mind SLS or cones. Now, I am using henna and oils. Couple of weeks ago I tried mo old coney conditioner, and my hair felt like plastic! It was sticky, stiff and dry.

That's what happened to me a few days ago when I tried cones again. When dry it felt ok, but it looked like fake hair. :confused:

I don't know if cones work for me or not, but I stick with all natural products anyways. Just a personal preference. My hair looked nice with cones, and it looks nice without them, too.

Natural is becoming a personal preference for me as well, what natural products do you use?

MissManda
August 14th, 2011, 06:45 PM
I am much better off going 'cone-free because it makes my hair look and feel much nicer. When I was using 'cones with SLS, my hair was shiny, yes, but I had horrible dandruff and my hair got greasy very quickly. Up until I started using 'coneless products, my hair was the flattest flat that ever flatted and it would be very lank and piecey. I also remember tangles being far worse when I was using 'cones, too.

Now that I've gone cone-free, my hair has much more body and volume and it even waves a tiny bit. My hair is just as shiny off 'cones and I don't have a tangle problem anymore. As long as I use conditioners that have a decent amount of slip and give my hair a decent amount of moisture, my hair is very well-behaved and has never looked better. :bounce:

GabrielleRose
August 14th, 2011, 09:13 PM
I am much better off going 'cone-free because it makes my hair look and feel much nicer. When I was using 'cones with SLS, my hair was shiny, yes, but I had horrible dandruff and my hair got greasy very quickly. Up until I started using 'coneless products, my hair was the flattest flat that ever flatted and it would be very lank and piecey. I also remember tangles being far worse when I was using 'cones, too.

Now that I've gone cone-free, my hair has much more body and volume and it even waves a tiny bit. My hair is just as shiny off 'cones and I don't have a tangle problem anymore. As long as I use conditioners that have a decent amount of slip and give my hair a decent amount of moisture, my hair is very well-behaved and has never looked better. :bounce:

Wow, no cones has been awesome for you. May I ask what are you using now, and are you COing or doing something other than that?