PDA

View Full Version : How can you tell...?

mallorykay13
August 13th, 2011, 09:38 PM
How can you tell between a good nylon brush and a BBB? I have a stiff brush that I am not sure is a BBB or nylon... I'd like to use it instead of the wimpy (certified) BBB that I am using..

SoulOfTheSea
August 13th, 2011, 09:43 PM
I am wondering this too... we have this brush that is on a wooden handle, with stiff bristles that are like a light brown and black... I have no idea if they are plastic or real boar bristles. Help need as well here!

MeganE
August 13th, 2011, 09:56 PM
I am wondering this too... we have this brush that is on a wooden handle, with stiff bristles that are like a light brown and black... I have no idea if they are plastic or real boar bristles. Help need as well here!

Examine the individual bristles. Nylon bristles look like a black plastic cylinder that has been evenly cut off, and tends to have sharp edges. Some boar bristles tend to have whitish tips and flare out at the ends, shaped a little bit like an antler with a point.

Schmoomunitions
August 13th, 2011, 09:58 PM
Yes boar bristles look like a mini paint brush at the ends , little splits that help to capture oil. Also if you burn them nylon will curl up and melt, boar will smoke but not instantly curl up.

mallorykay13
August 13th, 2011, 10:09 PM
Its nylon. Dangit.

Madora
August 13th, 2011, 10:09 PM
Plastic bristles look and feel like synthetics (and many shine if you hold them at a certain angle).

Boar bristles come in a variety of color and do not shine.

SoulOfTheSea
August 13th, 2011, 10:33 PM
Examine the individual bristles. Nylon bristles look like a black plastic cylinder that has been evenly cut off, and tends to have sharp edges. Some boar bristles tend to have whitish tips and flare out at the ends, shaped a little bit like an antler with a point.

Darn, now I can't even tell if my real BBB is a real one... I mean I got it from Walmart a few years back... I don't even remember the brand. Perhaps it's time for a new one. :cool: