PDA

View Full Version : Animal Oils

ennuideluxe
August 13th, 2011, 02:38 PM
I recently looked the ingredients of a bottle of carrot oil that my hair seems to quite like, and was shocked to find out it has mink oil in it!

I do eat meat once in awhile, but I find myself very uncomfortable with the idea of using animal products like this on my hair. I guess I feel that while I could absolutely justify slaughtering a chicken for meat, there's no way I could kill a mink so that I could avoid split ends, you know?

ANYWAY. There's no sense in throwing away the bottle, but I certainly wont be buying it again, and I need to look much more closely at ingredients.

I know mink and emu oils both come from animals, but are there any others that I need to look out for?

lastnite
August 13th, 2011, 04:41 PM
I see alot of the ethnic hair care products do have mink oil in it, I always check. I'm with you; I can never feel comfortable slaughtering animals just for hair or fur fashions (is probably what the mink was originally used for). Although a bone/horn comb made from an animal that was killed for food is ok with me.

I can't really think of any other oils - emu, mink; and shark, whale, and turtle come to mind but I don't think they are in that many products here in the US (and might go by different names to hide what they are).

ennuideluxe
August 13th, 2011, 07:05 PM
Shark, whale and turtle too? Wow. I would have never guessed.

I think I'll do some research into this, just in case they are indeed hiding under different names. Funny enough, if they had used the Latin name for mink, I wouldn't have thought twice about it. Now I know.

Thanks!

shellblue1
August 13th, 2011, 08:58 PM
There are two oils that sound similar in name - one type is made from sharks and the other type is made from olives. It's called squalane - also called squalene.

"squalane was originally obtained from shark livers and sometimes it still is. The fish-friendly alternative is squalane made from olives."
http://truthinaging.com/ingredient-spotlight/what-is-it-squalane

I've used olive squalane to add moisture to my hair lightener before and it seemed to worked well.

Copasetic
August 14th, 2011, 10:56 AM
I saw a deep conditioner the other day that had mink oil in it. I was kind of surprised by it. I had no idea that mink oil was used cosmetically. The only other time I have seen an animal oil for cosmetic purposes is emu oil.

I'm not going to lie, I was tempted to try the mink oil conditioner, but the more I thought about it, the more it kind of grossed me out.

MandyBeth
August 14th, 2011, 12:58 PM
Lanolin is from sheep. Thier wool, but from the sheep none the less. With emu oil, the rest of the bird is used, so it's fine to me.

Sookie
August 20th, 2011, 06:30 AM
Lanolin gives hair elasticity!
Wow i didn't know those kind of oils existed haha! I wanna try them !!

Nastasia
August 20th, 2011, 10:08 PM
I don't see the problem with lanolin. It's extracted from the wool when the sheep are shorn. It's not like they're killed for it.