PDA

View Full Version : protective styles for the sleep challenged?

archel
August 13th, 2011, 11:33 AM
Ok, I am apparently the most violent sleeper ever! Today, I woke up with my braid pulled mostly out and the elastic in the bed. One of my pillows was in the floor and I had managed to knock some stuff on the bedside table, too.

I can't manage to keep my hair in the french braid I've been sleeping in and I'm starting to think that it's actually worse to have my hair pulled down from this style as I sleep than it would be to just sleep with it loose and detangle in the morning (especially since I don't tangle too terribly).

Is there a better style for me to sleep in (I'm APL, barely), or should I leave it down or what?

This is why I have not tried any sleeping caps. That would last about 5 minutes. :p

longcurlygirl<3
August 13th, 2011, 11:44 AM
Well I am in, I too have this problem, but my sleeping caps stay for the night. I two am violent, but I pineapple [high loose ponytail held by a scrunchy] also I do this method as well : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13-aID_uJPc&feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_48435

Madora
August 13th, 2011, 12:06 PM
Have you tried lace braiding around your head?

Here's a link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ

It would be better for your hair to be confined - somehow - than loose.

archel
August 13th, 2011, 12:36 PM
I've tried to learn a lace braid several times and it's still beyond me - I will keep trying though!

spidermom
August 13th, 2011, 01:24 PM
I do a single braid at the top-back of my head and direct it over the top of my pillow. I'm a tosser and turner also.

The easiest way for me to get a braid that is comfortable is to lay across the bed with my hair hanging over the edge, then braid as far as I can reach in that position, then sit up and finish braiding in front of my face.

luthein
August 13th, 2011, 05:30 PM
I started to do low pigtail braids and vary the parting each night. I find the pigtail braids stay in much better than one braid.

Mannaz
August 13th, 2011, 06:11 PM
I suggest a bun on top of your head. Thats' what I do most of the nights, and I even use a hairstick to hold it, but maybe a scruncie would be safer for you!

beccababesx
August 14th, 2011, 06:44 AM
Do a tight cinnabun on the very top of your head (yes you'll look hilarious! :p ), secured with spin pins (what I use, you could use hairsticks/forks if you prefer) and then a scrunchie around the base. If you don't have a silk/satin pillow, wrap your head in silk/satin (doesn't need to be a sleeping cap per se, I just wrap a silk dressing gown round my head - yes I look like a crazy cat lady at night :p ) hope that helps! I'm a nightmare sleeper, and it works for me

Cassie 123
August 14th, 2011, 09:45 AM
My hair is about the same length as yours, but last night I tried something I picked up from some of the extremely-longhaired around here: a cinnabun on the top of the head, normal tightness, but secured with four small claw clips, one each at north, south, east, and west. It was comfy, held perfectly, and even looked good when I took it down this morning.

Lady Dragon
August 14th, 2011, 10:51 AM
I used to do pigtail braids every night when my hair was past my shoulders. Plan to do it again when it gets longer this time too.

longhairedlady
September 17th, 2011, 03:58 AM
Do a tight cinnabun on the very top of your head (yes you'll look hilarious! :p ), secured with spin pins (what I use, you could use hairsticks/forks if you prefer) and then a scrunchie around the base. If you don't have a silk/satin pillow, wrap your head in silk/satin (doesn't need to be a sleeping cap per se, I just wrap a silk dressing gown round my head - yes I look like a crazy cat lady at night :p ) hope that helps! I'm a nightmare sleeper, and it works for me

My hair is about the same length as yours, but last night I tried something I picked up from some of the extremely-longhaired around here: a cinnabun on the top of the head, normal tightness, but secured with four small claw clips, one each at north, south, east, and west. It was comfy, held perfectly, and even looked good when I took it down this morning.

I have been trying to find a comfortable sleep style also. I am gonna try the cinnamon bun on top and see if that works. I usually do a braid or loose but I am wanting to keep my hair from getting damaged. Hopefully this works! :)

NotInPortland
September 17th, 2011, 07:24 AM
You're just like me, when I wake up in the morning pillowcases have come off from pillows some of which will probably be on the ground and mattress protectors and sheets are falling off the bed haha it's a nightmare. I'm still trying to find something that works too so for the last few nights I've been making just a simple bun held with a spin pin smack bang on top of my head and it seems to hold! I look ridiculous but I always get a good laugh when I see myself in the mirror the next morning :p My only worry is about the hair on the back of my head that would still be rubbing off of the pillows but at least a lot of the length is protected, my hair is waist length though so it's easy to get a bun up there not sure if it would work with APL?

Madora
September 17th, 2011, 07:49 AM
@NotinPortland...

Have you tried a braided bun on top of your head? It not only protects your length, the back hairs are kept safe too. Here's a pic:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6554&pictureid=104112