PDA

View Full Version : Where can I buy blue shampoo?

HeatherJenae
August 13th, 2011, 11:03 AM
I bought some Silver Plus from Walgreens because it's purple shampoo. The shampoo actually worked well but my problem is orange brassiness and I thought the purple would be close enough but I really need blue. Does anyone know where I could buy blue shampoo or conditioner in a store in the States?

Superfine
August 13th, 2011, 11:11 AM
This may sound strange, but I've read that you can use Mrs. Stewart's laundry bluing as a hair rinse. Might be worth a try as it is very blue, not purple.

HeatherJenae
August 13th, 2011, 11:14 AM
That's hilarious! I've never heard that before. Do you think the chemicals in it would damaging to the hair?

silverjen
August 13th, 2011, 11:15 AM
I haven't done this myself, but I've heard of people adding a little bit of blue Manic Panic to their conditioner. There is also Aveda Blue Malva. http://www.aveda.com/product/CATEGORY10515/PROD5794/Hair_Care/Shampoo/index.tmpl

HeatherJenae
August 13th, 2011, 11:20 AM
Do you know if that Aveda Blue Malva can be bought in stores anywhere?

Lilli
August 13th, 2011, 11:23 AM
Aveda has to be sold in an Aveda salon or from one of their stores. They have a locator on their site. Good luck!

HeatherJenae
August 13th, 2011, 11:31 AM
Thanks Lilli! :)

HeatherJenae
August 13th, 2011, 11:35 AM
This is why I love the ladies of the LHC. I started this thread at 1pm and by 1:30, you all had helped me find a salon within two miles of my house that sells exactly what I'm looking for. You're the best! :)

archel
August 13th, 2011, 11:35 AM
Pantene makes a shampoo and conditioner for grey hair that is blue - I used to use them when I dyed my hair blue-black and they were pretty nice, except after a while I'd get build up from the cones. But your hair may love it! It's pretty inexpensive, too.

archel
August 13th, 2011, 11:36 AM
Oh and you can get Aveda on Amazon.com - I treated myself one year for my birthday, but never again as their stuff is way too pricey for me on a regular basis. But OH MAN that $30 conditioner was THE BOMB.

dulce
August 13th, 2011, 11:49 AM
Most salons will carry them.

DeepSix
August 13th, 2011, 11:58 AM
Herbal Essences Hello Hydration?

Carolyn
August 13th, 2011, 12:00 PM
I know the OP has found where she can get Aveda Blue Malva but I'd like to add that Sallys has a Shiny Silver S & C that's good for combating brassiness. It's a good one if you don't want to spend the money on Aveda. I use both and love them.

I'll chime in on the Mrs Stewarts bluing. No, it will not harm your hair. I've used it for several years as part of my HALO rinse. If you are interested in that you can do a search here and find out about it. The only caution I'd have for using it is don't go overboard with the bluing. I used way too much and found it can give you blue hair! Seriously blue. I washed my hair again the next day and it washed out. No big deal there but it was kind of horrifying for one day.

HeatherJenae
August 13th, 2011, 02:11 PM
Archel, I was wondering, because the Aveda near me sells the shampoo and conditioner, if both are really necessary. It's the Blue Malva one. The shampoo is thirty bucks for a liter and the conditioner is 18. Since I need to use it on my scalp and length I feel like spending thirty bucks on a shampoo is ridiculous since everyone on LHC knows you can wash with the conditioner. Do you think I could just get away with using only that and still see a reduction in brassiness? Did you leave yours on for a certain amount of time or did you rinse right away?

Carolyn
August 13th, 2011, 02:20 PM
Did Aveda stop selling the smaller size bottles of the Blue Malva? I think I get more benefit out of using both the shampoo and the conditioner.

Lilli
August 13th, 2011, 06:50 PM
Did Aveda stop selling the smaller size bottles of the Blue Malva? I think I get more benefit out of using both the shampoo and the conditioner.

It seems that for most of their color shampoos, they only have the giant size. I used to use the Chamomile and got annoyed with the price, but it's wonderful and the smell is very lovely.

Honestwitness
August 13th, 2011, 07:15 PM
I have used Mrs. Stewart's laundry bluing, also. I only tried it a couple of times and I may noy have used enough, because I didn't notice any difference in the color of my already grey hair. But, it does not harm the hair. Several other LHCers have also used it with no detriment to their hair. It's amazingly cheap. If I were you, I would try it first, to save money. If you're still not satisfied, then you can go for the more expensive products.

AbstractMage
August 13th, 2011, 08:36 PM
I wonder if a little indigo would work?

shellblue1
August 13th, 2011, 09:15 PM
I'll chime in on the Mrs Stewarts bluing. No, it will not harm your hair. I've used it for several years as part of my HALO rinse. If you are interested in that you can do a search here and find out about it. The only caution I'd have for using it is don't go overboard with the bluing. I used way too much and found it can give you blue hair! Seriously blue. I washed my hair again the next day and it washed out. No big deal there but it was kind of horrifying for one day.

I've tried this as well and yep, try not to go overboard with too much of the bluing when added to water. I had a blue streak for a few days (did it a few days ago and it might even still be visible since my hair is bleached). Also, this product is non-toxic and shouldn't be damaging to hair.

Also, be careful if you don't want blue caulk in your shower/tub, this product turned mine light blue.

HeatherJenae
August 13th, 2011, 10:54 PM
Okay, I just realized Aveda's Blue Malva is actually purple. What the heck! Dang that sneaky name. Looks like the Mrs. Stewart's is my only viable option at this point. Anybody know a store that carries it? I looked on the website and there were like only two stores in all of Ohio that it listed. Did everyone here buy it online?

Lilli
August 14th, 2011, 06:58 AM
Okay, I just realized Aveda's Blue Malva is actually purple. What the heck! Dang that sneaky name. Looks like the Mrs. Stewart's is my only viable option at this point. Anybody know a store that carries it? I looked on the website and there were like only two stores in all of Ohio that it listed. Did everyone here buy it online?

Maybe you should try the Black Malva: http://reviews.longhaircommunity.com/showproduct.php/product/567/cat/2

Carolyn
August 14th, 2011, 07:23 AM
I got my Mrs. Stewart's Bluing at a grocery store. It was either Hy Vee or Fareway. I know I've seen it in other grocery stores. I'd never buy something like that on line. There used to be a powder bluing called something like "La France". I'm not sure if that's still available or not. I see you are in Ohio. Are you near an Amish area? If you are you could try a grocery store in that area.

Honestwitness
August 14th, 2011, 07:29 AM
I bought my bottle at the grocery store, in the same aisle as the laundry soap.

boomtownrat
August 14th, 2011, 08:01 AM
In case the OP is interested or anyone else might be, I've bought Jhirmack shampoo for silver or blonde hair at Rite Aid. The last time I looked, the formula had been changed to include antioxidants and CoQ10, so I don't know if it will work better or worse. It's less than $4 for (I think) about 13 and a half ounces, which at least isn't a huge gamble. The new bottle looks like this (http://makeupalley.com/account/pic.asp/f=2003819).

HeatherJenae
August 14th, 2011, 08:45 AM
Boomtownrat, I totally have that shampoo! :) I got mine from Walgreens for five bucks. It helped deepen my brown but didn't do anything to help with the orange brassiness since it's purple. I do live near the Amish, and there is a store not to far away that sells all sorts of things for them. You guys have great ideas!

Carolyn
August 14th, 2011, 09:04 AM
Boomtownrat, I totally have that shampoo! :) I got mine from Walgreens for five bucks. It helped deepen my brown but didn't do anything to help with the orange brassiness since it's purple. I do live near the Amish, and there is a store not to far away that sells all sorts of things for them. You guys have great ideas!This is going a bit off topic, but Amish grocery stores are so much fun. You can find all kinds of cool stuff. You might even find the LHC beloved Amish hair pins.

CareBear
August 14th, 2011, 09:16 AM
If you do find the bluing, how about adding some to your shampoo and conditioner? We used to use the bluing when we went to fairs with our pigs, it made the white bits on their coats reaalllllyy white! (oh please don't take that the wrong way, I am NOT comparing your hair to our pigs, simply a tale of how it does work) And I know my g-gramma used it to brighten her hair. You ever hear of blue haired little old ladies? Well...too much bluing! lol! I remember seeing them as a kid, but I expect its one of those things that goes out of fashion, along with natural gray hair.
I found bluing at the local winco, but I bet any decent drug store would have it in the laundry aisle as well. Good luck!

HeatherJenae
August 14th, 2011, 10:21 AM
Carolyn, that's such a good idea! My mom loves to go there for the bread and it's just so much fun to look around and see all of the products. Carebear, I just got some Mrs. Stewart's Bluing from Meijer for $2.49. I didn't want to shower before I went, because then I'd have to wash my hair twice in one day. So I went in there looking a hot mess. Full on greasy hair, purple flip flops, pink corduroy pants and a Bon Jovi t-shirt. Yikes! :) So I got it and I'm always uneasy with things I have to mix myself, that's why I don't do any henna or indigo. I'd rather just buy it ready to go. But my plan is to take an empty milk jug, put a few quarts of water and a drop or two of the bluing in it, shake it up and rinse my hair with it after I've washed and conditioned it. I have no idea what I'm doing! But I'm gonna follow the instructions off of the official website for Mrs. Stewart's. It has a little section on using it for your hair. This is gonna be a wild experiment. Wish me luck!

rusika1
August 14th, 2011, 04:11 PM
http://www.mrsstewart.com/pages/otheruses.htm#anchorhair

It's ferric hexacyanoferrate, which sounds quite toxic but isn't. As far as I can remember, it's was the hair bluing of choice for years and years. Little old ladies would apply blue rinse to remove the yellowish overtones from their hair. When they'd overdo it their hair would be pale blue. I remember being very puzzled by it and having my mom explain how it was done. I have no idea how pale pink and pale violet (both of which I recall seeing) were achieved.

HeatherJenae
August 14th, 2011, 07:32 PM
Okay, I used the Mrs. Stewart's Bluing and it did nothing. I had hoped it would work for me because it's cheap and easy but it didn't affect the color of my hair at all. I even did it twice with probably ten drops in a quart of water the second time and nothing. Honestly, the purple shampoo gave me a better result for deepening my brown but it removed none of the orange like I wanted. I had hoped the bluing would knock that out. I appreciate the ladies who suggested the bluing to me though, it was a fun experiment. I was in the kitchen with an empty milk jug and what looked like toilet bowl cleaner and my roommate came in and asked what I was making. I said, "hair stuff" and then she just goes, "oh, okay" and walked out eating her cereal. She's used to the crazy hair stuff by now. I guess it's on to a different product. I need to research that Black Malva.

shellblue1
August 14th, 2011, 11:27 PM
You could try a protein filler. Sally's has one in the shade Platinum, however it looks purple from the picture. Might not do anything to remove your brassiness, but it might since it is a filler:

[/URL][URL="http://www.sallybeauty.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-SA-Site/default/Product-Show?pid=SBS-636302&dwvar_SBS-636302_color=%233+Platinum#BVRRWidgetID"]http://www.sallybeauty.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-SA-Site/default/Product-Show?pid=SBS-636302&dwvar_SBS-636302_color=%233+Platinum#BVRRWidgetID
(http://www.sallybeauty.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-SA-Site/default/Product-Show?pid=SBS-636302&dwvar_SBS-636302_color=%233+Platinum#BVRRWidgetID)

HeatherJenae
August 15th, 2011, 03:18 PM
I've never heard of that Shellblue, I'll have to give it a look. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

Anje
August 15th, 2011, 03:32 PM
I'd try a heftier dose of the Mrs. Stewart's. Your hair's dark enough that it's not too likely to actually turn blue unless you use the stuff straight.

Someday
September 6th, 2012, 11:58 AM
Did anyone find Mrs. stewart's to be drying? I tried it (to counter some red left over from past dying), and it didn't do much ... But my hair felt dry afterwards (which was also the case after using Blue Malva).

PetuniaBlossom
September 8th, 2012, 04:26 PM
I'd try a heftier dose of the Mrs. Stewart's. Your hair's dark enough that it's not too likely to actually turn blue unless you use the stuff straight.

I second this. If you save some of your shed brassy hairs, you could experiment with them to see just how much of the bluing it would take. Good luck!

RedheadMistress
September 10th, 2012, 07:45 AM
- Can you get Lush products in the states ?
They have an amazing product, I used to use it when I had red hair just because of its smell but wait lemme find it . .

It's called Daddy-o;
http://demandware.edgesuite.net/sits_pod18/dw/image/v2/AAHL_PRD/on/demandware.static/Sites-Lush-Site/Sites-lushcosmetics-export/en_US/v1347108997684/images/product/9999902003.jpg?sw=350&sh=350