PDA

View Full Version : Shampoo allergy?

Kelikea
August 12th, 2011, 07:29 PM
I'm not sure if I'm actually allergic to shampoo or something in it, but every time I use shampoo, my head gets itchy and my skin flakes off like crazy. I tired CO but it made my scalp so gunky. I have been using BS and ACV rinse for about 2 months, but now my hair seems dry. I tolerate Desert Essence Organic Coconut shampoo and conditioner ok if used less than once a week, and it is very moisturizing. Any suggestions for keeping my scalp and hair happy, at the same time?

DoubleCrowned
August 12th, 2011, 08:40 PM
You may be sensitive to ingredients in shampoo. Fragrance, for example, frequently causes problems, so you should not use shampoo that lists "fragrance" as an ingredient, even if the bottle has the word "natural" on it. Aubrey Organics is a brand that might be safe for you.

Here is a LHC thread that Might help you. It deals with sensitivity to chemicals: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=70112

Some people who get skin problems from shampoo are happy with the water only cleansing method:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=3412

Another thought is to try cleaning your hair with eggs or herbs.

Copasetic
August 12th, 2011, 09:23 PM
I'm not sure if I'm actually allergic to shampoo or something in it, but every time I use shampoo, my head gets itchy and my skin flakes off like crazy. I tired CO but it made my scalp so gunky. I have been using BS and ACV rinse for about 2 months, but now my hair seems dry. I tolerate Desert Essence Organic Coconut shampoo and conditioner ok if used less than once a week, and it is very moisturizing. Any suggestions for keeping my scalp and hair happy, at the same time?

Do any other products give you this kind of reaction? If you can think of all the ones that bother you, you might be able to find a common denominator.

gretchen_hair
August 12th, 2011, 09:45 PM
I think it could be either the sulfates, the fragrance or both. My family and I all ended up having issues with cheaper brands of shampoos and conditioners and we all get dry itchy scalps if we don't use the more natural brands.

Jason/Burts Bees/Yes to Carrots/Avalon/Giovanni/Shampoo Bars............those brands do not generally cause issues for any of us. We can no longer tolerate the dirt cheap ones like V05/Suave/White Rain.

The conditioner at Sallys in the gallons are tolerable when used sparingly, (once or twice a week at most) I don't know about the shampoos.

I have found that salon brands have positive effects on scalp issues as well. (I never buy full price but get them on sale/clearance/buy one get one/ etc.) Unless used very frequently I don;t normally have the flakes or itching.

I hope you find what works for you, I know for us that cheap shampoos and conditioners are out, More natural items work wonders along with shampoo bars. And that limiting salon brands and Sallys brands keep itching and flaking at bay. :flower:

ravenreed
August 12th, 2011, 11:41 PM
I often have to balance what my scalp likes versus what my hair likes. About the only thing both agree on is ACV rinses. I have a hard time with shampoos. If I use an SLS shampoo my scalp freaks out. If I try ones without SLS, my hair freaks out. You might try an SLS- free shampoo to see how it works for you. My hair and scalp are pretty happy with CO. I do use an SLS shampoo every month or so to clarify but I usually clarify my length rather than my scalp.

2peasinapod
August 13th, 2011, 12:13 AM
I agree with all the suggestions here, but I just wanted to add that my hair always gets a bit dry (especially at the ends) after washing no matter what I use. I just put oil on it for a few days until it calms down. Best of luck finding what works for you. :)

Kelikea
August 13th, 2011, 04:13 PM
I agree with all the suggestions here, but I just wanted to add that my hair always gets a bit dry (especially at the ends) after washing no matter what I use. I just put oil on it for a few days until it calms down. Best of luck finding what works for you. :)

What oil do you use?

kittensoupnrice
August 13th, 2011, 05:17 PM
Another thing you could try is shampoo bars. I used to get itchy flakes every time I shampooed, greasies when I CO'd, but shampoo bars seem to be the right amount of cleansing for me.

headtrip_honey
August 13th, 2011, 07:59 PM
I have the same issue, and I've had good luck with Desert Organics Fragrance Free shampoo.

I went off it for one day just to see what would happen and the itch came back. Ugh. So, I highly recommend this shampoo for itchy flaky scalps.