PDA

View Full Version : Chlorine + CO=Help!

Freitzeit
August 12th, 2011, 06:52 PM
I'm not sure what to do about my hair. A week or so ago I went swimming without doing anything protective for my hair, so afterwards I conditioned the heck out of my hair. Apparently I didn't get it all rinsed out, and my hair turned sort of stringy and felt just awful. I tried doing a water only rinse a couple days later, which helped a little.
Yesterday I did my standard t-gel coal tar shampoo on the scalp with Garnier's pure clean fortifying conditioner all over, which usually leaves my hair looking and feeling great, but it's still a stringy mess! :(
Any advice you can give would be great. I just want my normal soft hair back!

SoulOfTheSea
August 12th, 2011, 06:56 PM
Try using a regular sulfate shampoo. After I swim, I CO and use a thick conditioner on my hair only. Also, when I go swimming, I dampen my hair and put EVOO and some Suave conditioner in it, then braid it. This keeps my hair protected from the pool water. But anyhow, after COing and deep conditioning immediately after swimming, I wait a couple days (about 3) and then use a regular sulfate shampoo and conditioner. Voila, my hair is back to normal! :)

Freitzeit
August 12th, 2011, 07:14 PM
Yeah I know I should have at least dampened my hair, but I wasn't expecting to actually get my hair wet. I was just going to relax in the hot tub, but I discovered that the pool was heated so I had to take a dip.

Maybe the next time I wash I will use some of DH's Head and Shoulders and see if that clears it up. Thanks for your advice SouloftheSea.

SoulOfTheSea
August 12th, 2011, 07:37 PM
You are very welcome! :) Hope it works!

lapispimpernel
August 12th, 2011, 08:03 PM
Sounds like you've got it pretty well wrapped up, but here's my :twocents:. The thing that helps me most, besides a shampoo, is a thorough soaking with plain water. I soak & condition before swimming and soak & CWC after. SoulOfTheSea's method wouldn't work for my nose, which couldn't stand the smell of pool for that long. :D

Chlorine's the worst.

SoulOfTheSea
August 12th, 2011, 08:33 PM
Sounds like you've got it pretty well wrapped up, but here's my :twocents:. The thing that helps me most, besides a shampoo, is a thorough soaking with plain water. I soak & condition before swimming and soak & CWC after. SoulOfTheSea's method wouldn't work for my nose, which couldn't stand the smell of pool for that long. :D

Chlorine's the worst.

Oh I rinse my hair thoroughly before I CO and deep condition, I failed to mention that! :oops:

Sundial
August 12th, 2011, 10:06 PM
Do you by any chance need to clarify or chelate? You can use clarifying or chelating shampoos, or chelate using club soda

Freitzeit
August 20th, 2011, 09:33 PM
Do you by any chance need to clarify or chelate? You can use clarifying or chelating shampoos, or chelate using club soda

I used DH's head and shoulders which got the weird feeling out (yay!), but it irritates my scalp (boo!). For future reference how would I chelate with club soda?