PDA

View Full Version : TMI questions concerning hysterectomy and hair loss

archel
August 12th, 2011, 06:07 PM
I have been having problems with ovarian cysts and other female problems and will probably wind up getting a hysterectomy. I'm reading on the internet that many women experience hair loss after hysterectomy, especially if they go on hormone replacement. I would most likely get the total hysterectomy where they take the ovaries and would be immediately thrust into early menopause. I'm a little concerned about losing my thick hair! I do know I'm going to have to do this eventually, though.

Anyone been through this? I'm likely to refuse hormone replacement if they tell me I have to have it...

Anyway, I'd love to hear your stories.

Darkhorse1
August 12th, 2011, 06:12 PM
Actually, the HRT should help with hair loss as it will be giving you the hormones you would lose with your hysterectomy.

I am very sorry about this and wish you well/the best with your surgery.

archel
August 12th, 2011, 06:14 PM
Oh! Ok that makes sense. I have a lot of reading to do.

I may not even be able to do this for a year if my new insurance considers it a pre-existing condition, which it probably will. *grrr* I don't want to do it right away anyway since I'm starting a new job. I'm pretty sure it's going to have to happen in 2013, though.

Thanks a bunch!

Speckla
August 12th, 2011, 06:54 PM
Your hair may have problems if you do have a hormonal imbalance. I had my total hysterectomy and both ovaries taken out nearly 5 years ago. My hair did start to thin a lot so I made sure to take my hormones the same time everyday, eating healthier foods and really taking good care of my hair. It great back thicker and healthier.

Emerald88
August 12th, 2011, 09:45 PM
I had mine almost a year and half ago and I tried to forgo the hormones, but I just couldn't function. There are so many things no one ever tells you about this. Since you are asking particularly about losing hair, I will only mention my experience with it. I lost about an inch and a quarter of circumference due to extreme shedding for a year after my surgery. I was very worried that it would never stop, but it finally did and my hair is thickening back up. However, I have noticed that my hair is more coarse now than before, not as silky, so I had a change in texture as well as the shedding. It was definately something I would have thought about a little harder had I known all the problems it would cause.

archel
August 12th, 2011, 09:51 PM
You know, I can't believe it but this will be a factor in my decision...anyway if you want to discuss any of the other effects you've had feel free to PM me. This is such a huge decision...

PixxieStix
August 12th, 2011, 10:04 PM
Yes, read and learn as much as you possibly can before coming to a decision.

My mother had a full hysterectomy about three years ago, and I don't recall her having any troubles with hairloss. Mostly, she was just dead tired all the time for a couple months, but that was to be expected.

Good luck to you, and may you find what is best for you.

Toadstool
August 13th, 2011, 12:13 AM
I had a total hysterectomy this February. I am on HRT (oestrogen). My hair is as thick as ever.
I note you are 40 so am not sure why you will refuse HRT? I was on it from the beginning and before I increased it the night sweats and vaginal dryness were horrible. Plus I understand it protects your bones.
Of course it is entirely your decision, but I wouldn't be without it

Lilli
August 13th, 2011, 05:26 AM
I would research and research and research some more. It is not a decision to be made lightly, but you know that.

Can you not keep your ovaries? Everything I read says you want to do everything possible to keep your ovaries.

Mesmerise
August 13th, 2011, 05:59 AM
I would research and research and research some more. It is not a decision to be made lightly, but you know that.

Can you not keep your ovaries? Everything I read says you want to do everything possible to keep your ovaries.

I would assume that as she has ovarian cysts, that her ovaries are part of the issue? (I'm no expert on the subject, but I wouldn't imagine a partial hysterectomy would cure ovarian cysts if the ovaries were not removed).

I think it's really important to do a lot of research before making this decision, especially if it's not life threatening. Mind you, my friend had a hysterectomy and she kept all her hair and it's reasonably thick too (not sure if it was a total hysterectomy or not though... possibly not because she never took HRT and she was in her mid 30s at the time).

If it makes you feel any better, if I were in your situation, I'd certainly consider my hair too!

Lilli
August 13th, 2011, 11:22 AM
Duh, good point.

I remember reading something a long time ago that hysterectomies were over-performed, and b/c they are so life-changing, esp. if the ovaries are removed too, it has to be truly a last resort.

I, too, would worry about my hair, OP, and don't think you should feel bad for any of the feelings surrounding your hysterectomy. Best wishes to you. :hug

CherrySilver
August 13th, 2011, 07:46 PM
By all means possible, if you can avoid having your ovaries removed, then do it. I've know several women who have had complete hysterectomies which were unnecessary. It was mainly due to the laziness of the doctor's and their not having the experience to leave the ovaries in place. I know of one woman whose husband *insisted* she keep her ovaries (to the groaning of her doctors), because they were both aware of the severe after effects.

Even when you're past menopause, your ovaries will continue to produce hormones, albeit in at much lower levels. My own mother had a complete hysterectomy after menopause (despite my screaming and yelling). I wanted her to leave the ovaries in place, but she deferred to the "wisdom" of her doctor. Within one year my mother looked over a decade older, she suffered horribly with the side effects and now has severe osteoporosis and is all hunched over -- never mind her transparently thin hair (least of her problems if you ask me).

If your ovaries are NOT the issue (as with uterine fibroids), then please run as quickly as possible away from this doctor and seek another opinion. Better yet, see if you can find a referral for someone in your area who is going to be conservative regarding the excision of your reproductive organs.