PDA

View Full Version : Supplement Questions...need some help

MermaidOH
August 12th, 2011, 02:52 PM
Hi All,
So since I joined this group and have learned soooo much more about hair health I have started taking Biotin, along with a regular Muti-Vit, a Calcium, Magnesium, & Zinc Vit., and Acidophilous. But I was thinking of trying the Natures Bounty Hair, Skin and Nails which has more Biotin and also other goodies. But I noticed that my Multi-Vit has 100% Iron and the Natures Bounty has an additional 17% Iron, is it bad to take over 100% Iron? Or should I try the GNC Ultra Nourish Hair which also has biotin and MSM which the Natures Bounty doesn't (the MSM)? Also what other supplements/nutritional support do others try? Are there other supplements out there that I should be looking into for hair/body health? I am not very knowledgeable about this, but I am trying to learn. Any advice or product/routine recommendations is GREATLY APPRECIATED! Thank you!:D

silverjen
August 12th, 2011, 08:03 PM
It is not a good idea to over-supplement. Too much iron can actually be poisonous. As for biotin, your body actually makes as much as it needs, and unless you have a medical condition, there's no need to take more. Most adults who eat a balanced diet and are healthy don't need supplements.

ZeppHead
August 12th, 2011, 08:36 PM
If your going to take a multi and extra vitamins always make sure those vitamins are not in your multi. Stop taking that extra iron right away, most vitamins you shouldn't take mega doses but esp iron should not be overdone. I know when I took mega doses of biotin last year in efforts to grow my hair faster and healthier I broke out in horrible cystic acne. I couldn't imagine what it was doing to the inside of my body. Try to get most of your vitamins through a good diet. Some people don't even need an iron supplement added into their regimen and get enough in their daily intake. And unless your anemic or pregnant most doctors don't recommend an iron supplement. Be careful and watch the amounts you are taking but also take into account what you are eating throughout the day may be plenty.

I take fish oil now for hair skin and nails and bonus its good for your heart!

lapispimpernel
August 12th, 2011, 08:44 PM
I alternate days with my iron supplements, just to stay on the safe side... :) There's dosing info here (http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/iron/) if you're worried about that. (That link also mentions some conditions that might require supplementation- heavy periods, Crohn's/Celiac patients, being young and female ^.^ or vegetarian.) Besides iron, fish oil is my only other extra.

It's weird taking supplements, though, I'd rather just eat more veggies and shrimp. Yum.

redwoman
August 12th, 2011, 09:24 PM
I take a good multi and toss in extra vitamin c and biotin because they are not at the 100% mark on the label. I also take co q 10 and alpha lipoic acid, not in the multi. I play it safe because I eat pretty decently and o-d'ing is never good. More is not better when it comes to vitamins.

ladycaladium
August 12th, 2011, 09:49 PM
I take a handful...Multi, D, Osteo-Biflex, Omega 3-6-9, and a B-Vit Complex. I eat healthy but have some health issues. All my supplements/dosages have been discussed with my doctor and I have regular blood test. A multi is probably fine on it's own but I wouldn't recommend adding anything extra, especially in a mega-dose without first discussing it with your doctor.

MermaidOH
August 13th, 2011, 08:13 AM
Thank you all for the info.! Unfortunately Fish Oil Supplements and I do not get along, I get really nauseous and upset stomach when I have taken it previously (so does my Mom) which is a shame because I know it is really beneficial for your heart and overall health.

Kelikea
August 13th, 2011, 04:04 PM
If fish oil bothers you, try another form of omegas, like flaxseed, borage, primrose, etc. I like Rainbow Light Women's One Multi-vitamin. I take omegas, cal-mag-zinc, MSM, apple CV, garlic, and St. Johns wort on the side.

Heatherzilla
August 14th, 2011, 01:09 AM
You definitely don't want to be taking in more iron than you need on a regular basis. Too much can result in it building up in the liver and causing damage. Not good. Like it has already been said, it's probably good to talk with your doc about anything you're wanting to take.

That said, I currently take B12 because I'm vegan, Flaxseed oil and vitamin e to try and help my dry skin and a biotin to try and help my hair grow a little faster. I get my vitamin levels checked fairly regularly to make sure everything is where it should be. =]

Libbylou
September 5th, 2011, 03:03 PM
I take a multi(what ever I can affort at the time, favorite is Mega Woman),Omega3,6,9 and Alpha Lipioc acid. Afraid to take iron because of my age, but then I am almost vegan.