PDA

View Full Version : Velcro hair

BelleBot
August 12th, 2011, 09:30 AM
My hair has turned very velcro like recently. It's horrible as it sticks to itself and forms tangles and looks a frizzy mess not nice and smooth as it should be. Well it's not frizzy as such as it's still very straight, just poofy in a bad way.

Anyone have any tips on how to make it less velcro like?
I do a mix of CO and SC. I colour my hair with Directions and it has been henna'd in the past.
Perhaps an ACV rinse or catnip? I haven't done any recently, but I'm after some advice before I start attacking my hair with various rinses.

Alvrodul
August 12th, 2011, 09:43 AM
Have you tried clarifying? Your hair sounds like mine when mine has buildup!

Madora
August 12th, 2011, 11:48 AM
After you clarify, perhaps you could try an EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil) overnight treatment on your dry hair.

gthlvrmx
August 12th, 2011, 11:52 AM
It's a great idea to keep your hair balanced after you clarify and follow a protein treatment with a moisturizing one to keep things from heading over from one side of build up to another. (i speak from very recent experience)

pepperminttea
August 12th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Have you done any protein treatments lately? My hair gets very 'grabby' and velcro-like after using protein.

Clarifying immediately followed with a deep moisture treatment fixes most things. :)

RedRose
August 12th, 2011, 12:11 PM
I feel your pain. I too have velcro hair (it's currently in a horrid dreadlocky matted mess, but I haven't got the energy to detangle it - I've just got back from South America and my hair routine went by the wayside towards the end. Serious error.)

Silk pillowcases have helped me a lot, as has misting regularly (a few times a day at least). I haven't experimented much with mister recipes, I mainly use mineral water/rosewater and a few drops of camellia oil.

Hope you find something that works for you.

ravenreed
August 12th, 2011, 12:55 PM
My hair gets velco-ish from three things: any form of protein, needing to clarify, and needing a nice trim. I do get buildup from CO-ing so every month or two I wash with an SLS shampoo. That usually does the trick. If not, then I add a bit of baking soda to shampoo and do it again.

deko
August 12th, 2011, 06:57 PM
I couln't use any protein treatments after henna so if you did this mistake then clarify and moisturise.

It would'n be bad idea to clarify your hair "just in case", many products leave build-up. Clarify, moisturise and look at the situation. If it's gotten at least a little better you should repeat clarify-moisturise - system a couple of times ad then just moisturise.

BelleBot
August 15th, 2011, 05:14 AM
Cheers guys, I completely forgot about build up. I've clarified and it's much better now. It wasn't dry at all, which was why I was puzzled. Just too much gunk on there lol :p