PDA

View Full Version : Dry, Brittle Hair

Hobbit
August 12th, 2011, 06:21 AM
My hair has been feeling dry and brittle recently. I don't know why. I did an ACV rinse a few days ago, maybe that has something to do with it?
Does anyone have any ideas on how to strengthen my hair, and help it be less dry? I put some jojoba oil on it to try to moisturize it.

rags
August 12th, 2011, 07:20 AM
I'd recommend a good moisturizing DT, such as an SMT or just taking your usual conditioner and putting it on dry hair and leaving it for an hour or longer before rinsing out. ACV can dry out my hair too, especially if I make the dilution too strong.

Phalaenopsis
August 12th, 2011, 07:29 AM
Aubrey Organics Honeysucklerose conditioner, I tried so much for my dry hair and the results were always temporary, until I tried this conditioner ^^

Mairéad
August 12th, 2011, 09:49 AM
Try a SMT or a deep oil treatment with a different oil. Jojoba is a good leave in but it seals the hair shaft rather than penetrate it.

If you're making ACV rinses, make sure the dilution is very weak. Table spoon per 16oz water is a good place to start. You could also try new conditioners and shampoos if you feel yours aren't giving your hair enough.

Alvrodul
August 12th, 2011, 10:06 AM
I second (or third) trying a SMT (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128)! If that doesn't work, try clarifying, perhaps followed by another SMT!

Anje
August 12th, 2011, 10:24 AM
Clarify, then do a moisture treatment, and post the ingredients list of your usual conditioner.

Hobbit
August 12th, 2011, 12:25 PM
Thanks for all the advice.:) I'll try the SMT. I don't always use the same shampoo and conditioner. Most of the conditioners I have used have had Cetyl Alcohol, Cetrimonium chloride, glycerl stearate, DMDM hydanton, Hydrolyzed collagen, Benzyl salicylate and a bunch of other things I can't pronounce.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Khiwanean
August 12th, 2011, 12:28 PM
It sounds like protein overload to me. An SMT (after clarifying or alone) would help with that.

Anje
August 12th, 2011, 12:52 PM
Try a conditioner without the collagen. That's protein.

spidermom
August 12th, 2011, 01:13 PM
If you haven't tried coconut oil yet, give it a go. I like a generous coconut oiling to my length the day before I plan to wash my hair (then braid it). I wash CWC with diluted shampoo, and I think the conditioner on my length helps to remove the oil from my length. It has made my hair seem so much stronger and more flexible than it was before coconut oil.

If you try it, make sure you buy the 100% coconut oil stuff, not the so-called "coconut oil" in the ethnic hair care section. There actually is very little coconut oil in that stuff.

Mairéad
August 12th, 2011, 01:49 PM
Yes, I agree it may be protein overload. And, I always agree that clarifying your hair can fix lots of problems. It's the first thing I do when my hair throws a fit and then I proceed from there.

archel
August 12th, 2011, 01:53 PM
I can't use the ACV rinse more than like once a week or it dries my hair out. I am thinking of just doing one with the SMT and that being the only time.