PDA

View Full Version : Hair breaking off, not shedding?

PorkChop
August 12th, 2011, 01:49 AM
I took my jumper off this morning and it had about 15 hairs on it (this seems like a lot id only had the jumper on for an hour)

But i pulled every hair off, to say my hair is heading to BSL, every single hair was about half of this length. So theyre obv breaking off about midway.

Im quite worried about this and really dont know why its doing this. My hairs never gonna get long if they all split off.

Sundial
August 12th, 2011, 02:27 AM
Just a few questions first:

1. What's was your hair history? Did your hair undergo any chemical treatments (bleaching, etc)?

2. What's your hair routine? Do you use products containing a lot of protein?

3. Do you often stick to one style (i.e. a ponytail)? I noticed your hair length is stated as APL and was wondering if you put your hair up in a ponytail daily.

4. What type of comb(s) are you using?

5. Any medical conditions that you are aware of which may have an affect on the condition of your hair?

PorkChop
August 12th, 2011, 02:36 AM
1. I get bleach highlights on average every 4 months, just on the roots and tops moreless, not on the length

2. I wash my hair every third or fourth day with a normal shampoo. Then use a 3 minute deep conditioner. Then a leave in conditioner. Proteins -Im not sure about this?

3. Ive started wearing my hair in a single english plait a lot, and i sleep with it in a plait.

4. I comb my hair with my fingers in the morning to get rid of knots, then i go through with a wide toothed comb, then sometimes give it a quick brush over the top. I do this at night before bed too

5. No medical conditions that Im aware of

Mesmerise
August 12th, 2011, 02:52 AM
I sometimes lose hairs that are much shorter than my longest hairs, so it's not abnormal to lose shorter hairs. Just check the hairs to see if they have a bulb attached to the end. You may find that you're just losing hairs and they're not breaking at all.

PorkChop
August 12th, 2011, 02:56 AM
No those one i plucked off my jumper didnt have a bulb on the end.
I know the difference as i just plucked another one off about 15 mins ago, and that was longer, and had the whitw thing on the end

Sundial
August 12th, 2011, 03:06 AM
I was asking because:

1. Damage can cause hair to break off. Bleaching is especially the worst and a lot of people who bleach their hair do get some form of breakage.

2. I know some people say that bleached hair needs protein but that isn't always the case. My hair has been bleached before but it hates protein. I didn't realize that until I started noticing bits of broken hair all over and when I checked my hair products, I realized proteins were high on the ingredient list.

3. If you notice most of the hair breaking off around the same length, it could be that your hairstyle is putting stress on the hair strands. Some people find a frizzy halo of broken hair around the place where they tie off their ponytails or the place where they always pin their bangs.

4. Did you check if your wide tooth comb have seams? Some plastic combs have really sharp seams between their teeth and these act like razors when you run them through your hair.

5. I guess we can discount this since you don't seem to have any problems here :)

PorkChop
August 12th, 2011, 03:10 AM
Would a plait put pressure on my hair though? Its not too tight.

This may be the reason why ive noticed that my hair doesnt seem to be gaining much length, even though it is growing as I can tell by my roots.
I have no idea how i can stop this happeneing or why its doing it