PDA

View Full Version : Requisite length for rose bun?

Tabihito
August 11th, 2011, 04:33 PM
I am absolutely in love with how they look, and have been ever since I found this place. And I am, of course, still frustratingly unable to do one. My question is though, how long does your hair have to be to do one? Honestly, I hate how half-ups work look on me, but I've been tempted lately to just do a half-up so I can get a rose bun in my hair.

Or, you know, I could just stare at all the pretty rose buns in pictures on here until my own hair gets long enough. One or the other.

heartgoesboom
August 11th, 2011, 04:51 PM
i currently have waist, but my rose bun is not as breath taking as those who have way longer hair :(

MissManda
August 11th, 2011, 04:53 PM
The length at which you can do certain styles depends on how thick your hair is.

For example, I'm currently a little over 29" long but I can just *barely* make one, but it doesn't look too pretty. You probably will not have to wait as long to do one, though, which makes me quite envious because I too love how a rose bun looks. :crush:

If your hair isn't long enough to make a rose bun from a single rope braid, you could try making one with two instead. I use this technique and it makes things a lot easier.

I hope that was helpful! :flower:

pittsburgpam
August 11th, 2011, 05:02 PM
That's my favorite bun too (my avatar). It's looks complicated but it's not and so pretty. I have TBL+ but I think it could be done with mid-back to waist. Even just wrapping it around one full turn and tuck looks nice.

viking_quest
August 11th, 2011, 05:48 PM
I was able to do a rose bun around BSL. Granted it was a tiny rose bun, but it was one.

charalito
August 12th, 2011, 10:10 PM
You can divide your hair a do several small rose buns, looks cute that way. Here's something I did at BSL. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=8062&pictureid=105291)

Roseate
August 12th, 2011, 11:42 PM
Honestly, I hate how half-ups work look on me, but I've been tempted lately to just do a half-up so I can get a rose bun in my hair.

You could also do a half-up rose bun, then rope-braid the rest, loop it around the outside of your little rose and pin it around. Or just twist the rest around if rope-braiding it makes it too short.

I often have to resort to this kind of thing, it's a decent work-around for the thick or short haired!

Yozhik
August 13th, 2011, 12:26 AM
It really does depend on how large/impressive you want your rose bun to be and how thick your hair is. :) Since you say your hair is i/ii thickness, I think you should be able to do one soon, depending on how large you want it to be. :)

I think I was able to do a smallish one at around BSL, but I'm ashamed to admit I don't think I've tried it since. Thanks for reminding me of this beautiful updo -- I'll definitely put it into rotation! :flower: