PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives to hairspray...

faithsdaisy421
August 11th, 2011, 03:28 PM
Hey all... I am sorry if this has been answered a million times before... I did a bit of searching and could not find what I was looking for.

So, my question is this. What are some good alternatives to hairspray? I found a hairspray that I really like:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001ET78CE/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001ET78CO&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=123WPVPKKRF70V56H5BG
But after looking at a link on LHC the other day about what hairspray actually DOES to hair, I am a bit freaked out! :brickwall

I know that some people make their own natural stuff with lemon juice (?), but it is still stick (which is kinds the point of hairspray), so wouldn't it still cause damage?

I really only use hairspray when I use my steam curlers, but I hate the idea of doing damage from the spray when I bought the curles to avoid doing damage from the hot rollers!! It is a big circle!

My hair is just so fine that if I don't use something, the pretty bounce curls just fall right out!

Thanks guys :waving:

SoulOfTheSea
August 11th, 2011, 03:49 PM
I never liked hairspray, the smell let me know it was bad for one's hair. However, after seeing that same link (with those microscopic pictures right?) I was double freaked out. Now I tell everyone about that, and I am also curious about alternatives.

kidari
August 11th, 2011, 04:08 PM
A lot of people use aloe or flax seed gel, aloe being more popular. I used to be addicted to hairspray but now I find that clean, moisturized hair holds a curl better. I started doing CO washes and thought my hair would go limp but no, it holds my sock bun curls better actually! They are much curlier and the curls last longer. When damp bunning I just used diluted conditioner in a mister bottle and it works better than mousse for me. I think hairspray is a sham now lol. All it does it hold the hair in one position and the second it's moved by the wind or brushed, the hold is gone and it falls flat anyway while being crunchy and causing damage.

Madora
August 11th, 2011, 04:12 PM
If you want healthy, beautiful hair, hairspray is not your friend.

If flyaways are your main concern, then perhaps a tiny bit of coconut oil might help tame those whispies.

If you are looking for "hold" on curls, then perhaps using a narrower curler might help (although that creates a whole different problem with tightness and possible breakage..unless you're very careful).

Eirelin
August 11th, 2011, 04:27 PM
I have been using the boiled lemon DIY hairspray for a couple of months now, and it seems to be fine. No microscopic views, but it does not appear to cause any damage. I put it on after styling the hair (updos with curls), and it actually seems to be a bit softer after finger combing than without it!

faithsdaisy421
August 11th, 2011, 05:06 PM
A lot of people use aloe or flax seed gel, aloe being more popular. I used to be addicted to hairspray but now I find that clean, moisturized hair holds a curl better. I started doing CO washes and thought my hair would go limp but no, it holds my sock bun curls better actually! They are much curlier and the curls last longer. When damp bunning I just used diluted conditioner in a mister bottle and it works better than mousse for me. I think hairspray is a sham now lol. All it does it hold the hair in one position and the second it's moved by the wind or brushed, the hold is gone and it falls flat anyway while being crunchy and causing damage.
I have thought about using flax seed gel, I may have to give it a go.

I agree that hairspray is a sham.... I am kinda mad that I have been using it so much! This morning my hair was so soft, and right now it is crunchy and yucky. Blech.

I should just try the CO.

Thanks!

faithsdaisy421
August 11th, 2011, 05:07 PM
If you are looking for "hold" on curls, then perhaps using a narrower curler might help (although that creates a whole different problem with tightness and possible breakage..unless you're very careful).
I know! I need to break down and buy some more of the smaller rollers. I hate spending money sometimes...lol :mad:

I have been using the boiled lemon DIY hairspray for a couple of months now, and it seems to be fine. No microscopic views, but it does not appear to cause any damage. I put it on after styling the hair (updos with curls), and it actually seems to be a bit softer after finger combing than without it!
I'll look into that!! Thanks!

SoulOfTheSea
August 11th, 2011, 06:03 PM
I like AVG to use for hold on my hair, but I live in a dry climate... so Kimberlily's defrizz spray only worked well for me me the first time I used it, same with aloe... maybe I shouldn't be using aloe vera on my face if I live in a dry climate??? =/