PDA

View Full Version : What is the deal with ions??

alxardnax
August 11th, 2011, 01:26 PM
I bought a Caruso molecular ionic steam hairsetter (which I am trying for the first time right now) and I want to know what exactly ions do for the hair. Everyone says it makes hair shinier and smoother but how? How do ions work with your hair? I would love to know.

Thanks!

Aeltt
August 11th, 2011, 01:39 PM
I was wondering too.. and it seems that ions are supposed to "catch" humidity in the air and bring it to the hair. Well, why not.

PinkyCat
August 11th, 2011, 01:41 PM
I don't even know what an ion is. :hmm:

If you add a letter you can make new words:
Icon
Lion
Iron

alxardnax
August 11th, 2011, 01:46 PM

Icon
Lion
Iron

That is cool enough for me. lol.

Intransigentia
August 11th, 2011, 01:49 PM
My suspicion is that it's a load of :bull: :poop: scientific-sounding words to bedazzle consumers into thinking it's something special. An ion is an electrically-charged molecule/atom. If you get an excess of positive or negative ions in one area, eventually it has to discharge to even out again - that's what generates, among other things, static electricy and lightning. I really don't get how that would do anything for hair, but this is just my high school physics talking.

Aeltt
August 11th, 2011, 01:51 PM
Duh.. No, i juste re-checked and now they say it takes off statics, and thus makes shining and frizz-less hair.
It seems more logical ^^' I don't know who told me about the humidity thing :confused:

faithsdaisy421
August 11th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Let us know how you like the steamer!! I just picked one up last week and have used it twice. The first time I did not let the rollers get "steamed" enough, so this time I let them stay on a bit longer. Also, I was reading a previous thread about adding some serum to the water, and I did that today as well. It worked so much better today!! That is what my avatar picture is =) Have fun with your curls!!

alxardnax
August 11th, 2011, 06:11 PM
Let us know how you like the steamer!! I just picked one up last week and have used it twice. The first time I did not let the rollers get "steamed" enough, so this time I let them stay on a bit longer. Also, I was reading a previous thread about adding some serum to the water, and I did that today as well. It worked so much better today!! That is what my avatar picture is =) Have fun with your curls!!

Thanks! that is a great tip! My curls turned out shiny and silky. I was very pleased.

silverjen
August 11th, 2011, 06:42 PM
I believe "ions" are designed by marketing executives to attract money from your wallet. I honestly don't see how changing the electrical charge of your hair can benefit it.

CurlAhead
August 11th, 2011, 06:58 PM

Icon
Lion
Iron

:rolling::laugh::laugh::laugh:

SoulOfTheSea
August 11th, 2011, 07:33 PM
I had Conair Ionic heat-styling curlers when I used to have blunt bangs, and I must say, it added a GOOD deal of shine! :)

Anje
August 11th, 2011, 07:36 PM
Well, ions are charged particles. You find them everyday, everywhere. Salt is made of ions in a crystal structure, and they dissolve and separate in water.

:hmm: Do you put salt water in the steam roller thingy?

The thing is, if you put too many ions of one charge in hair, you'll look like this. (http://hsphysicsteacher.com/electricffec/12%20Electric%20Forces,%20Fields,%20Energy,%20&%20Capacitance/12.15%20Van%20de%20Graaff%20generator%20repulsion. jpg)

alxardnax
August 11th, 2011, 07:51 PM
Well, ions are charged particles. You find them everyday, everywhere. Salt is made of ions in a crystal structure, and they dissolve and separate in water.

The thing is, if you put too many ions of one charge in hair, you'll look like this. (http://hsphysicsteacher.com/electricffec/12%20Electric%20Forces,%20Fields,%20Energy,%20&%20Capacitance/12.15%20Van%20de%20Graaff%20generator%20repulsion. jpg)

That is just the look I was going for! lol.
I don't use salt.

Anje
August 11th, 2011, 08:03 PM
To be fair, that's probably the best Van de Graaff generator hair I've ever seen.

Oh well, here's another picture of it. (http://www.phys.virginia.edu/Education/Bitmaps/Hair1.jpg)

Mesmerise
August 11th, 2011, 09:19 PM

Well I was thinking that if your hair carries a slight charge, then maybe these products would errm neutralise the charge by producing opposite charged molecules which would somehow... I don't know... make the hair look better!! Maybe they are supposed to reduce static to make the hair sit flatter and shinier?

Maybe some other curling products actually generate a charge when you pull them out of your hair, and the hair doesn't sit as well as if you use these products which neutralise any charge.