PDA

View Full Version : Calling all travelers

trillian
August 11th, 2011, 12:49 PM
Hi Gang,

I do a lot of traveling for work. Usually, I'll pack up on Sunday nights, and get back late afternoon on Fridays. This happens about every other week. I'm getting lots of frequent flier miles, and hotel points, which is awesome, but I'm having a bit of hair issue!

Here's my problem. I've noticed that my beloved Tresseme Naturals, that works great with my hair, and my hard water at home, doesn't give me the same results in the various hotel showers. In fact, my hair looks like a greasy mess the second day in some of these locations, when at home it would look fine until about day 3-4.

I do like and use dry shampoo, but it only works to get me through about day 4 of no washing, because my scalp starts to itch, and drive me crazy.

I've thought about trying to stretch my washes out more, and seeing if I can get it looking decent for a few more days, but I get the feeling that can take a while to get adjusted. Plus I hate the greasy feeling, and I'm a consultant, so it's important that I look presentable when I'm at client sites.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Product recommendations for something that works well in different types of water? Methods of stretching washes that would get me adjusted quickly?

Thanks!

Madora
August 11th, 2011, 02:06 PM
Stretching washes can be helped by brushing your hair thoroughly every day, with a clean brush.

By using the clean brush you're starting out fresh every day, and not using a dirty brush back on your hair. Stretching washes is a matter of hair type and some hair will take to it and other will not.

The thing to remember is not to wash your hair too much..unless you live in a dusty environment, or workout heavily, or have oily hair.

Also, I would ditch the dry shampoo and find one that is kinder to your hair.

alyanna
August 11th, 2011, 02:09 PM
I'm in a similar situation. I use Tresemme Naturals for CO washing but when I travel to my second location, I haven't been able to maintain this routine. My hair gets limp and feels coated. In my case though, I've got hard water at my second location and that seems to contribute to the problem.

I've had to shampoo more frequently. But in the last month, my scalp and ends have gotten drier as well. I've been oiling both scalp and ends. This has helped with my scalp being dry but I'm still concerned for my ends.

As you can see, I haven't really come up with a solution yet :o The whole thing just seems complicated to me!

pepperminttea
August 11th, 2011, 02:14 PM
If you're CO washing, could you use a lighter conditioner for most washes, and just use Tresemme Naturals when your hair needs a bit of a boost? :) I find TN does build up quite quickly, I keep it in my rotation, but I have to be careful not to use it two washes in a row or my hair ends up feeling coated.

Carolyn
August 11th, 2011, 02:26 PM
When I'm away from home I always take my favorites with me. Kiehls and Aveda never fail me when I'm away. My take on stretching washes is it's not all that it's cracked up to be here at LHC.

Gulbahar
August 12th, 2011, 02:52 AM
Travelling is my job so I can relate to your problem. When I have to wash my hair in a place with "bad" water, I use a very simple organic shampoo for washing (I NEVER use shampoo otherwise, only soap, CO or herbs) or I wash with bottled water instead of tap water. This works quite well for me.

trillian
August 12th, 2011, 06:32 AM
Thanks folks - I'm glad it's not just me! It's kind of funny, I never really considered just switching to washing every day.

Madora, thanks for the info on stretching. I may try it some time in the future, but for right now, I have pretty oily hair that has to go under a hardhat occasionally.

I actually am a shampoo / conditioner type. I tried CO a few months ago, and it really didn't work that well for me. Sounds like I just need to invest in a second type of shampoo and carry both. I was just hoping to avoid the trial and error part of finding a good one.

I think I've used Aveda in the past - I'll give it a whirl again, or possibly hit up Trader Joes and see what I can find in the organic range.

Thanks again!