PDA

View Full Version : Dying light blonde hair to ombre: questions/help needed

dainaleeo2
August 10th, 2011, 09:15 PM
[Just as a side note before I begin, I wasn't sure if this should go here or maybe within the hair polls/projects, so if it's in the wrong one I'm sorry & feel free to move it :) ].

Alright, so I've finally decided after many numerous hair dying & bleaching sessions over the years...that I do want to grow it out naturally. I've said it to myself countless times but now I really do want to do it. I looked at old pictures from when I was little & I had such gorgeous hair that it would be a shame not to try & get it back.

About a month ago I had a bleaching accident at home, so I had it fixed in the salon. It left me with a good color at first, but since the toner has washed out & I didn't want to do it myself or pay to have it done again I just left it. Now it's a bit...well, it's a touch more yellow then I would like. The front is nice, the back [which was darker] is obviously a bit more yellow. Since I have a cooler complexion this is looking hellish on me & washing me out, so I was going to go into the salon to have it dyed in ombre style. I've been in love with it for a long time, but wasn't brave enough to try before. Now that I do want to grow out my roots, but dark blonde would be more than a little noticeable against very light blonde, this seemed perfect.

I have a salon appointment Monday. I love my hair dresser, but when I took the picture in she wasn't sure if she knew the style, so it left me a little...worried. She has always done wonderful work but I want to have a good gut feeling when I go in, which I think is only natural.
Then I got to thinking...well, really, this doesn't look -that- difficult. Most people do it on already dark hair, so mine is going a bit in reverse, but basically I think I could do it. I've been doing my own hair for years [bleach accident aside], & haven't had any problems. Plus, this style isn't supposed to be perfect, so I'm not entirely worried.

The questions I have are more for the color. My roots are a bit ashier than the ends, & knowing my color wheel I understand that I will need a more warm color, possibly neutral or golden. I was reading online that hair dressers use a red filler color, but since my hair isn't -super- ashy I don't think I would need it. My hair also pulls a little warm so I want to stray from it unless needed.

Would a neutral color be alright, or do you think I should err on the side of caution & use golden?
Also, I will be using a semi-permanent [probably Ion from Sally's, since I've had good experience with it]. I know it'll pull darker, so should I use a light or medium shade to accomplish the dark blonde shade?

I think I'll be doing an Aphogee treatment as well before this, since I want my hair to have enough protein within it to minimize damage & also make sure the application is a bit more even.

Any other tips for this would be greatly appreciated :)
Here are some pictures to give an idea of what I'm going to do:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/tHeo2BiZ/1012-hilary-duff-ombre-hair-color-2_bd2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/tHeo2BiZ/obsession-cheveux-blonds-ombre-hair-blond-big2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/tHeo2BiZ/rby-mercedes-benz-fashion-week-IMG_4997-lg2.jpg

I'm trying to find as good a picture as I can of my own hair for reference, so here is that as well:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/tHeo2BiZ/dainahair2-1.jpg

thanks for the help :heart:

spidermom
August 10th, 2011, 09:18 PM
Double post. Weird.

spidermom
August 10th, 2011, 09:18 PM
Since your hair is already more yellow than you want, don't go golden. And that's really the only helpful thing I can say about that, being pretty much a natural hair color kinda gal for the past decade or more.

GuardGirl
August 10th, 2011, 09:25 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the best way to go ombre be to just let your darker roots grow out? I mean, I thought that's what the look was~ natural color on top gradually fading down the length to a super sun-kissed blonde on the ends.

Not that my opinion counts for anything, but I think your hair would look great if you grew out darker roots from where you are right now. I think perhaps you are being too critical of the color it is now, it is not unflattering at all.

I'm actually growing mine out in the ombre fashion as well. Good luck!

KrissyKitty
August 10th, 2011, 09:32 PM
I know that this isn't going to be the answer you're asking for, but here goes:
don't dye at all. Wait 6 months to a year and you'll have the two-toned effect you're looking for, without additional damage to your hair.

As for the your current color having gone brassy, a violet colored shampoo can help.

I'm sorry I'm not more helpful, this is just my 2 cents.

ericthegreat
August 10th, 2011, 09:36 PM
Actually, I would like to ask you exactly what shade of blonde is your natural hair color dainalee? Are you a dark blonde or are you more of a medium blonde? I ask this because you've said that your roots are naturally ashy.

Because if you are a medium blonde, and you are now going for the ombre look, you might not need to do ANYTHING at all anymore and just let your natural color grow out. The picture of yourself that you showed is a neutral blonde with just a hint of gold to it, its really more neutral than warm. With that color, you really could just let your roots grow out and it would work perfectly with your dyed hair.

But if you are a darker blonde, then you will still need a bit of lightening at the roots to achieve that ombre look you are looking for. I would go for a neutral blonde, and avoid anything golden because with the gold you will actually grab more yellow which is exactly what you DON'T WANT.

Alaia
August 11th, 2011, 12:44 AM
Just echoing what others have said. If your current colour is too yellow for you, stay AWAY from the gold! You will have to go for a neutral or ashy blonde for it to suit your skin.

Speaking from experience here.