PDA

View Full Version : Manic Panic for Reds?

MermaidOH
August 10th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Hello All,
I have a hair color question, I currently get my hair colored at a n Aveda Salon a very bold red (almost unnatural but not quite) The level in color is the same (level 5/6) as my natural but just a different tone. When I get my hair done I get my roots and then also my length and ends this is because up until about April I was a platinum double process blonde and the previously over bleached lengths and ends don't really like to hold color, so to keep it somewhat even I have to get all my hair done. I would like a healthier alternative for my lengths and ends, I don't know if I am ready to go the Henna route just yet. But I was thinking of trying either Manic Panic (Pillar Box Red or Rock 'n' Roll Red) OR N'Rage (Crimson Red) both available from Sally's but I definitely don't want to damage my hair. When I mentioned the Manic Panic maybe mixed with conditioner to my stylist she said oh no it would totally dry my hair out (which is dry and damaged enough already) I trust her and she is really nice, but I don't know. I had always thought since Manic Panic and N'Rage were veggie based dyes they wouldn't be drying? I am also concerned with when the reds fade ending up with pink hair although my hair is already pretty dark (5/6). Anyone with experience or who could offer some great LHC wisdom is greatly appreciated. Thank You!

Aeltt
August 10th, 2011, 03:38 PM
Yeap you're right, there's nothing harmful in manic panic dyes. It maybe won't last long, that's the only risk you take :)
For the fading colour it depends, some reds fade to pink, other are more orange-y.. But if your hair is already a permanent red and kind of dark, i don't think it's gonna be a problem.

furnival
August 10th, 2011, 03:43 PM
I can't post the link on my phone but I recently started a thread called 'Are deposit-only dyes bad for hair?' and the general consensus was no, if anything they're conditioning. My hair certainly responds really well to Directions (similar to MP) and feels lovely and hydrated after dyeing, which I do every couple of weeks without ill-effect. Dunno how easily it comes out though. Definitely shouldn't dry your hair out- it's just like a staining conditioner. :)

BlazingHeart
August 10th, 2011, 04:29 PM
My hair is a bit lighter than yours, maybe a 5/4?. The last time I dyed it in the red range, I did it burgandy. It faded to a very natural looking color just a few shades redder than my own hair - never went at all pink.

~Blaze