PDA

View Full Version : Your childhood view of hair and the view you hold now!

Saranne772
June 27th, 2008, 08:17 AM
Well, as a child I loved hair- long hair. And I loved to play with it and brush other peoples hair.

How many others were like this as children and are long haired now?

Duchess of Erat
June 27th, 2008, 08:57 AM
I was always braiding my doll's hair, loved that. I really liked when I got a haircut (usually just to trim the split ends) and the hairdresser would make a french braid or something.

AJoifulNoise
June 27th, 2008, 08:59 AM
I was somewhere between the first two options. So, I chose I loved long hair.

I remember being super excited when I could tie my pigtails in a knot under my chin. I showed everyone. And, I remember seeing another girl's updo and going home and having my mom do it for me. And, I had to have my brush. Not anyone elses.

But, I mostly ignored my hair. It was just there and I liked it. But, I had some playing to do!

Shorty89
June 27th, 2008, 09:49 AM
I loved the idea of long hair, but I didn't take care of it. Long hair reminded me of princesses, and because I loved fantasy, warrior women with long flowing hair.

soprano
June 27th, 2008, 09:55 AM
Mine was always long. I remember being frustrated when I was very little and not skilled enough to braid it on my own, mostly because my mother always pulled it too tight. When I was 10 I asked to have it cut up to just below my shoulders. After that I was able to fix it on my own and I loved it. Tried a "pixie" cut at 13 (ah, junior high school angst...) and found out why I liked it long.

My cousins and I all grew up with long hair and used to play with each others' hair. My aunt would sometimes give us "Princess Leia" buns!

Nightshade
June 27th, 2008, 10:07 AM
I've always loved long hair, and thankfully never had parents that cut it short :) So never anything shorter than BSL for me, and most times longer!

Darkhorse1
June 27th, 2008, 10:13 AM
I always loved long hair, but because my parents (mom) couldn't handle my crying fits at trying to remove my snarls, she chose to have it hacked off like a boy. Yes, I went to the barber with my brother. UGH. They couldn't even have gotten me a cut, pixie cut or something. So, from age 4 to age 9, I had short, short, short hair. This was in the 70s, when long hair was very in, and I LOVED Jane Seymour's hair and Crystal Gale. I wanted my hair to the floor, so my parents said when I was old enough to care for my own hair, I could grow it. So, alas, maybe I was 8, I started washing my own hair and viola, I started growing it! It seemed to take forever, but it actually grew quite fast considering how short it was.

jojo
June 27th, 2008, 10:14 AM
I have always loved long hair, I used to put the waistband of my mums skirts round my head and pretend it was long hair. Long hair to me as a child meant Barbie and sindy dolls, which I would comb and style, then I go bored and gave them all concave bobs, to which I got a right telling off for!

Suppose my views have changed a bit, long hair to me now is part of who I am, it gives me confidence and makes me feel feminine, though through the years I have done to myself what I did to my poor dolls; now I am in for the long haul, no more bobs for me or my dolls!

(yes I still have a Barbie but she is looked after nicely these days!)

ilovelonghair
June 27th, 2008, 10:16 AM
I always liked long hair. But was not allowed to have it long until I was 6 :mad:

roxyhead
June 27th, 2008, 11:28 AM
I love long hair. My mother hates it. Helmet head for everyone, in her opinion. It's been a war ever since I was old enough to have an opinion, and this will likely continue until she's too old to voice one herself. I tried dreads once and she wouldn't speak to me except using words ranging from those you can't say on television to those you can't say in public at all if you don't want an angry mob on you, until I took them out. And yes, I was an adult at the time.

Euphony
June 27th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Long hair was beautiful and magical to me. I loved it, but my mother didn't know what the heck to do with my thick wild hair so it was always "short shag". She passed away when I was 11, and I didn't know what the heck to do with my thick wild hair, so it would get to bsl and look like a horses patoot and I'd cut it off and try again, always with the same result.

Definition of insanity: to do the same thing over and over again expecting different results.

Islandgrrl
June 27th, 2008, 12:09 PM
I loved long hair, but I never had it. My best friend in elementary school had hair she could sit on. It was glossy and dark brown and super wavy. I clearly remember wishing my hair was like hers.

I always wanted to grow my hair long, and my mother always cut my hair short. I had to wait until High School.

Robbi Dehlinger
June 27th, 2008, 12:20 PM
I always ADORED long hair and used to get so MAD when a girl would get heres cut!

All her g/f's would tell her how nice it looked. I wanted to say: WHY did you cut your pretty hair? but was much too shy!

lirael
June 27th, 2008, 12:52 PM
My twin sister and I both had very long hair as children. My grandmother convinced me to cut it to chin length when I was 10 and I hated it! I've been growing it ever since.

LongForLife
June 27th, 2008, 01:01 PM
I've always loved long hair and always had it long. Except for one time in junior high, when I finally caved into what my Grandmother and Great Aunt's wanted me to do and cut it to my shoulders. :( I had extra waves, but couldn't wait for it to grow back out, and needless to say, never "cut" it since. Only trims to keep it a little below tailbone for me. :) I am considering letting it grow down to classic though, as I only have around 3-4 inches to go.

girlcat36
June 27th, 2008, 01:49 PM
I LOVED long hair. I LONGED for long hair. But I was only allowed to have this:
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd63/girlcat36/bad%20hair%20years/9yearsold.jpg

**Doing my best Scarlett O'Hara impression***
"I swear, God as my witness, I will never be short-haired again! I will never use cones or have chemo or radiation again! I will have long hair!"

:silly:

Ndnlady
June 27th, 2008, 02:05 PM
I loved long hair as a child and growing up, but my mother always made me cut it off as a child because she could not stand it. I even remember in high school in 6th period class there was this girl that used to take her comb out when class was coming to an end and comb out her waist length hair. I would just sit there and watch her comb her hair, she probably thought I was a wierdo but I remember thinking I would love to have hair that long and impressive!:)

almudena
June 27th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Another long hair lover who had her hair cut boy style every single summer. I only had it cut once a year, in summer, but hated it.

Finoriel
June 27th, 2008, 02:32 PM
I was so way not interested in hair that the only right option for me is the :gobblecheese:one.
I´m not sure if I even noticed the sheer existence of hair as a kid, lave alone being interested in it. There have been so many more exciting things... like playing with friends, my cat or other animals, trees and flowers, building a tree house, playing with cheese...
*hey, look a cat!* :wink:
:o I´m a bad long hair I guess.

xrosiex
June 27th, 2008, 05:01 PM
I've always loved long hair. As soon as I could care for my hair myself it's been at least apl.

harley mama
June 27th, 2008, 05:21 PM
I have always loved long hair. I never wanted one of those cute, trendy short hair styles.
I am fascinated to see older (what I perceived as grandmother age) people with long hair.

A few weeks ago I spotted a gentleman (maybe 60 or so) with waist length or longer hair. He was riding a bicycle down the street and I nearly broke my neck trying to get a good look at his hair. ;) That sighting made my day!

Gladtobemom
June 27th, 2008, 05:53 PM
I loved it when Nanny brushed my hair.

I especially loved it when she would tell me it was pretty.

ZaBasDa
June 27th, 2008, 06:19 PM
I loved long hair as I child, but did not really have it. My parents didn't exactly know how to deal with a child who had curly hair that screamed over having her hair detangled. Beyond the age of 5 I was not allowed to have hair longer than bsl.

toodramatik
June 27th, 2008, 06:46 PM
I HATED long hair. I guess it was because all the female movie characters and cartoon characters I admired were the strong, tomboy type, and they always had bobs or shorter.

rubyredslippers
June 27th, 2008, 07:27 PM
I was really bald as a baby, for a long time. Except for bangs, my hair wasn't cut until partway through junior kindergarten (age 4), and even then it didn't reach my shoulders. I have pictures of this, school pictures, somewhere. (As you can see, my hair is thicker and grows at a normal if somewhat slow pace now.)

After this, my hair was bluntly bobbed though to grade four, at various lengths. Then I started growing and cutting and made up my mind to start keeping the length in grade six or seven.

I always loved long hair on others, and loved playing with it--usually my friends' hair. I liked styling my dolls' hair too, and kept my Barbies immaculately.

I guess I love long hair now because I can appreciate not having it, as well as the versatility of having it. Plus love the feeling of it when it's loose, on my bare back.

Whoops, I think I got a little carried away in my nostalgia . . .:p

tiny_teesha
June 27th, 2008, 08:29 PM
My parents made us have long hair, like not forced, we were never interested in long or short hair, but they just did it and then at our communions she lopped it off because it was hard to care for over 8 feet of hair (3 girls with long hair and my mothers own hair) amongst other things a mother needs to care for when her 3 children are all 1-2 years apart.
Then after i got it cut i kept growing it, and i never had it above my sholders again, i enjoyed the attention i got from my abnormally long hair. And then i wanted to fit in so i fried and dyed it and then ruined it in the process and had to cut it short because it was so rough and aweful.
I'm still outgrowing the damage, and now i just think long hair is something from fairytales, a true beauty and it really represents my personality! :) I've never paid so much attention with my hair, i always liked it long but when you loose something- that's when you learn to appreciate it! :)

Garnet66
June 27th, 2008, 08:50 PM
We were never allowed to cut our hair when I was a kid. So I really hated long hair. While everyone was sporting a Dorothy Hamill I had long hair. I got teased about it a lot too. Which made me hate long hair even more.

Boon
June 27th, 2008, 11:04 PM
I've always loved long hair :) I remember that one of my cousins had long hair (about waistlenght) and I used to say that I wanted that long hair too. Then she cutted her long hair off and I couldn't understand why she did that.

I don't know where this "obsession" comes from... All those Disney-princesses and Barbies maybe? :P

nastasska
June 27th, 2008, 11:54 PM
Well, as a child I loved hair- long hair. And I loved to play with it and brush other peoples hair.

How many others were like this as children and are long haired now?

Me too Long Hair is a life long love of mine :inlove:

katiana
June 27th, 2008, 11:59 PM
I also always loved long hair, but had short hair growing up..I never imagined growing out my hair..my mother had beautiful long locks and she would always put it in a bun on top of her hair..she always looked different than the other moms with more of the mom cuts or funky hair.,but I always admired my mothers hair and others I saw with long hair.

paper
June 28th, 2008, 07:24 AM
I always wanted long hair, but my Mom would make me get it cut in a pixie. I hated it and cryed every time. When I was in kindergarten, we had to draw picture of what we wanted to be when we grew up. I drew a picture of a girl with really long hair. My dream was to grow up and have long hair. :D My mom didn't let me grow my hair until I was 10.

Indigo Girl
June 28th, 2008, 08:10 AM
I had long hair as a child that my mom would put into two long braids.

She would secure the ends with those elastic ties that had the balls on the end (remember those?).

I have always loved long hair.

jtl45
June 28th, 2008, 08:32 AM
My mother was somewhat of a hippie type at the time and did not cut my hair till I was 6. I got teased occasionally about it but I enjoyed having long hair as a young boy. I cut it all off and went with the flat top for many years and started to grow it out again when I was about 17 which was quite a experience to get it to its current length! I will keep mine long always!
Jim :)

Katurday
June 28th, 2008, 08:48 AM
I had long hair but I didn't love it.
I wanted a wedge bob.
I always used to cut it to that, but somehow it always seemed to get ahead of me and grew to waist.
Sometimes I wish it would get ahead of me again.

LuXious
June 28th, 2008, 08:53 AM
I would like to remark that I did also play with cheese and processed cheese foods.

Morag
June 28th, 2008, 08:56 AM
I hated my long hair as a child. I wanted to be allowed to do all the fun stuff my brother did. Long hair for me was part of my mom trying to make me into her idea of "feminine and ladylike". (That concept just didn't work for me. It was very trying for her.) Also, the stuff tangled like a sumbich and mom thought braids were declasse', so it was always loose, always floating around getting caught in trees as I was climbing them, etc. In all fairness, I must admit that it was really pretty - pale golden blonde and very sleek. Nevertheless, I was overjoyed with my first pixie cut, especially after the permanent wave from he!! that my grandma gave me. Whew!

I would like to add, however, that I have always loved long hair on other people! :smile:

zanne
June 28th, 2008, 09:19 AM
I loved long hair as a kid. My mother always kept mine long, and recieving "rapunzel" type barbies filled me with unsuppressable glee.

Naluin
June 28th, 2008, 10:37 AM
When I was younger, I thought long hair was very pretty and it fell into the category of things I would have one day when I "grew up." My mother was the long hair in our family. Her hair was usually between APL and BSL. I used to love her hair and I often brushed and braided her hair for her. When I was younger I wanted to be just like my mother, and that included having hair like hers.

I haven't outgrown that last part, yet. :rolleyes:

savi
June 28th, 2008, 11:06 AM
I'm not sure I was even aware that I had hair. It was always pixie short and I never bothered with appearances (very ungirly, I know). It wasn't untill I was twelve that realised that I wanted longer hair.

blackfrostqueen
June 28th, 2008, 11:22 AM
I have always loved long hair, even as a child. In fact my hair was longer when I was a child then it is now...however I am working on undoing that fact. Anyways...I loved long hair then...but wouldn't let anyone touch my hair. I hated having it brushed, for the tangles hurt and my mom knew nothing of long hair so she couldn't help. SO I walked around looking like a mess! but I was happy...I had my long hair!

kaorifun
June 30th, 2008, 04:17 PM
My mom forced me to have long hair until I was a teenager, and I really despised it. My mother didn't know how to braid or put it up, so I just had huge masses of curls flying around and annoying me when I played. Plus when it would get tangled, I would get yelled at and have to sit there for ages while my mom combed it out. I didn't start liking long hair until I had it chopped short for a few years and realized my hair is too thick and crazy to look good short.

Robbi Dehlinger
June 30th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Hi!

I saw an interesting article in out local paper taking about the lastest trend being little boys with long hair???

nostalgic
June 30th, 2008, 06:52 PM
I loved playing with my doll's hair and with my friends but I begged my mom to let me cut mine... I guess that's what started the cycle of grow, cut, grow, cut lol. When I was really little she used to do my hair all different ways and endlessly tried to curl it (unless you have a VERY hot iron and LOTS of hairspray, it ain't happening haha!).

nostalgic
June 30th, 2008, 06:57 PM
[quote=Robbi Dehlinger;172882]Hi!

I saw an interesting article in out local paper taking about the lastest trend being little boys with long hair???[/quote

Sorry I'm posting again; that's what I get for not reading the whole thread first haha. But I thought this was interesting... I know a lot of young parents who keep their little boy's hair longer. My boyfriend actually didn't have his hair cut until he was five or six and since it was curly he basically had dreads haha. My sister tried to let my nephew's grow but it was so fine it was always in his face and his father hated it (we'll ignore the fact that HE had longer hair when he was little haha!)

Robbi Dehlinger
June 30th, 2008, 06:59 PM
[quote=Robbi Dehlinger;172882]Hi!

I saw an interesting article in out local paper taking about the lastest trend being little boys with long hair???[/quote

Sorry I'm posting again; that's what I get for not reading the whole thread first haha. But I thought this was interesting... I know a lot of young parents who keep their little boy's hair longer. My boyfriend actually didn't have his hair cut until he was five or six and since it was curly he basically had dreads haha. My sister tried to let my nephew's grow but it was so fine it was always in his face and his father hated it (we'll ignore the fact that HE had longer hair when he was little haha!)

Hi yourself!

They mentioned that Disney may have had something do with this trend? (Harry Potter or something like that?)

spidermom
June 30th, 2008, 07:27 PM
I've always loved long hair and always told people that one day I was going to grow my hair out really long.

I finally got around to it in my mid-40s. I got everything else out of my system first.

Paniscus
June 30th, 2008, 07:39 PM
WHen I was around 5, I had hip length hair! It stayed around this length throughout my formative years. Once in a blue moon, my Mother would cut it back to around waist length. I wore it in braids almost every day. I was indifferent to it actually. My time was spent biking, hunting for neighborhood critters and getting dirty :)

betsala
June 30th, 2008, 08:36 PM
as a kid i couldn't be trusted to adequately maintain my tailbone length hair. this meant lots of painful, forced combing by my parents. now i manage to comb my hair by myself :) , but it usually goes right into a braid. i guess i have always loved long hair in theory more than in practice. now i am trying to learn new styles and appreciate my long hair more, partially since it is easier to maintain and more flattering on me than shorter styles.

Alley Cat
June 30th, 2008, 10:09 PM
I loved long hair as a child , I wanted longer hair. I remember wearing these fake long braids and pretending they were mine. :)

Phalaenopsis
July 1st, 2008, 09:22 AM
I wasn't bothered, but gradually my hair got long and I was always angry when my mam thought I needed to get a haircut

sipnsun
July 1st, 2008, 09:33 AM
I loved long hair and used to pray every night to wake up with long hair. My mom kept my hair short, because she said it was too fine and stringy to be long and pretty. Now she admits although it was fine, she just really didn't want to be bothered with it. She worked full time and raised 6 kids so I guess it wasn't a priority.

Periwinkle
July 1st, 2008, 09:55 AM
Never really cared. I always thought long hair was gorgeous, but until I could do my hair for myself, my mother would brush it and tie it back in a ponytail with a centre part at the nape of my neck (ugh! it looked awful!) and when I could do it for myself I kept doing just that with never any variation.

Siava
July 1st, 2008, 01:52 PM
I voted I wasn't bothered because although I did like having long hair, I absolute dreaded braiding time. My mother was so freaking rough and would get angry when I'd cry or ouch. However, I did love brushing it and using little animal barrettes. Oh, and I was forever getting gum in it. I finally got the chin-length chop at age 6. I won't lie though, it was cute. :)

Jason
July 1st, 2008, 01:54 PM
I've loved long hair for just about as long as I can remember.

jivete
July 1st, 2008, 01:55 PM
My sister and I both loved long hair but neither of us could ever grow it. I remember making yarn wigs to pretend that we had long hair. If only there'd been clip in extensions back then.

PetiteHatter
July 1st, 2008, 03:08 PM
I loved my hair long when I was a little, but my sister was getting a hair cut, so I decided to get short hair.. That was a bad mistake on my part.. I tried growing it out, but my mom kept cutting it short. then later on (in high school) she says she loves my hair long and complained that my hair should of been long.. After she said that, I was upset...

janaana
July 2nd, 2008, 04:48 PM
Apparently when I was four or five I used to ask for long, straight, black hair. I don't know where I got the idea from. My hair was fairly light in colour and wavy at the time and I had quite a few different length hairstyles as my dad preferred it long and my mum (who usually cut it) liked it short. My hair is much darker now and less wavy too, because of the weight now that it's long, but I never quite got the hair I wanted when I was small.

Marchpane
July 2nd, 2008, 08:03 PM
I loved long hair when I was little! My mom cut it short when I was very small every so often, but after watching Star Wars I decided I had to have Princess Leia buns. XD So I started growing it long, and it got to about BSL before I cut it. Which turned out to be a good thing, since it got all thick and curly when it grew back out! But yep, Princess Leia was what got me loving long hair lol.

yogachic
July 2nd, 2008, 09:38 PM
I did the same thing jojo did, put pants on my head, to pretend it was long hair. My mom kept my hair short and feathered, until I was in 5th grade, then I wanted it long. I started growing it from then and had BSL hair until about 2002.

I loved barbie's that had the long hair. When ever I went to a friends house and they had barbies with chopped off hair, I thought it was not pretty at all, and couldn't understand why they would cut off her long hair.

I still prefer long hair over short hair. I am not good at styling short hair, and I find it to be way to much work, and too time consuming.

BrownieLocks
July 2nd, 2008, 09:44 PM
I was the girl who's hair they were playing with :P <3.

burns_erin
July 3rd, 2008, 12:47 PM
I hated long hair because I was a very contrary child. So since my parents refused adamantly to let me cut my hair, I was very adamant that i hated it and had been known to chop it off myself.

Rapunzelwannabe
July 4th, 2008, 01:14 PM
I had tailbone length hair as a younger child (since I'm sure I could still be considered a child now), and I never really liked it anything but long. Long hair was a huge part of my identity until I cut it on a visit to my grandmother who conned me into donating 10 inches to LOL.

rosieposie
July 4th, 2008, 01:41 PM
I never really thought about my hair when I was little. I have always worn it long-ish though.
I foolishly cut my 33" hair to shoulder length last christmas and instantly regretted it. Am currently in the long and sometimes painful regrowth stages. I love my hair now. I think that happened when I discovered hair toys. They are soooo pretty. I think Im a bit of a magpie....HAHA :)

cuddledumplin
July 4th, 2008, 02:03 PM
I've always loved long hair. My hair was classic until I cut it at age eight. I also loved to play with my Aunt Mary's long hair.

shellblue1
July 4th, 2008, 02:20 PM
When I was a kid my hair was very long, but I don't remember thinking much about it. It just grew and grew. Now I wish I still had hair that long! I think the end of my long hair when I was a kid was when I took some scissors to it one day in the bathroom. I got in trouble for that! I think I may have just seen a Cyndi Lauper music video and wanted to emulate her crazy hairstyle. Yeah, it was the 80's and she was one of my favorite singers. :)

DecafJane
July 5th, 2008, 10:53 PM
I loved it long, and loved other people doing my hair, but my Mum had straight and short hair, so she didn't know how to deal with curly hair. As a result, my hair stayed shoulder-length or shorter, and brushed (EEK!) until I was in my teens. :)

Cinnamon.locks
July 6th, 2008, 01:39 AM
I have always loved long hair, always dreamed of having hair like rapunzel, long and shiny and strong. and to this day i continue to dream of long hair, hopefully my hair will one day soon will reach Classic or longer.

Yeesha
July 6th, 2008, 03:45 AM
I loved hair, when I was a child...
My hair was long, my mother's too and I loved, to create new updos on her hair... *g*

WaimeaWahine
July 6th, 2008, 04:35 AM
Well, my mother actually had really long hair. When we would go shopping and I'd get lost I could just stand up on clothing racks and look for the raven-haired pale-skinned woman with red lipstick. Gorgeous.

But I used to like to cut on my hair and my mother thought it was impractical for a girl to have long hair. She had other ideas too - that it attracted the wrong kind of attention like dangling earrings and make-up. I agree. Please feel free to disagree. ;)

As tragic events have left some here having to cut their long hair, it was a tragic event that left me growing mine out. Perhaps in an attempt to just erase myself and become someone new. I'm still not used to long hair and it's a daily annoyance.

As for now? I wouldn't want my daughter to have a bob, but definately would want something easy and practical for her. When I see adult women with really long hair I think it's better than "mom hair" and despise make-overs that resort to that.

If you can only wear it up then I'm not seeing the difference between that and short hair. :confused: But then there are those women who insist that having a pony tail is a cop out for having to deal with and style your hair. I love my long pony. This IS my hairstyle! :D

Haith
July 7th, 2008, 01:24 PM
I think I've always had fairly long hair (BSL of thereabouts) but I never really cared/noticed it much until I reached womanhood. Now long hair makes me feel feminine.

lora410
July 7th, 2008, 01:32 PM
I always loved long hair and my mom always loved it long, BUT I either got to impatient and said "it will never grow long" and hacked it off or it go so dry and snarly I hacked it off.

embee
July 7th, 2008, 01:41 PM
I wanted long hair but tough for me.... my mom didn't want to be bothered since I didn't have the lovely golden curls she'd envisioned on a daughter.

Samara Morgan
July 7th, 2008, 02:18 PM
When I was a small child I really wasn't bothered by people's hair at all, then when I got to about 11 I started to love the idea of having long hair someday :)

Sarahmoon
July 7th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Always like long hair. I used to have a barbie doll with hair to her ankles hahah.
I hated my mom brushing it though. Good I eventually found out myself how to do it in a painless way.

Lady Verity
July 7th, 2008, 02:33 PM
I loved having long hair, but I hated taking care of it. The scruffier the better. Which is why, while brushing it one day, my mum took the scissors and lopped it all off with one big snip.

RavennaNight
July 8th, 2008, 08:28 PM
I always wanted long hair as a small child, but my folks kept it at pixie because they didntwant to hassle with it. I grew it out once I was allowed to make that decision, third grade.

KateMcC
July 8th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Growing up in Wisconsin, it was really about the cheese. ;-)

I really wanted to have my hair long, but every eight weeks my mom took me to the "beauty shop" and I got the choice between a pixie and a "Dorothy Hammil" haircut. I was in middle school before I clued it that they were the same.

I was in college before I started growing my hair out, and even into my late 30s it was a sore spot with my parents.

Tangles
July 9th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Wasn't bothered.
The irony is as a child I had TB length, light golden brown, wavy yet smooth locks ending in ringlets--the very hair I wish I had now (except I have and want to keep darker hair now). My mom did it for me every day in a differnt hairstyle--I liked side ponytails best. :D

HeavenlyTresses
July 9th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Always, always wanted long hair. I used to pin scarves in my hair and pretend it was super long. I had it at waist in 6th grade and chopped it off and kind of freaked out and I haven't cut it since. I stopped going to salons in high school when I wanted to grow it all out to one length, don't think I've had a cut since 89'.

My mom had a friend who had almost waist length black hair and when I would see her come down the driveway I would run for the brush. She probably hated coming to our house but she was always very nice and let me brush it as much as I wanted.

flapjack
July 10th, 2008, 12:17 AM
I have always had and loved long hair. Always always.

nutsenmai
July 10th, 2008, 02:40 AM
My little sister and I both grew up with bowl cuts and were mistaken for boys on occasion. My mom said she couldn't be bothered to take care of our hair. Even though our grandmother had been a hairdresser and she knew all about that stuff!

It was our aunts who eventually talked her into letting us grow it out when I was 8 or 9. Which amounted to chin-length hair for me, no bangs. It would almost touch my shoulders sometimes even! It was that way throughout highschool. Then I started to really let it grow out.

Needless to say I'm not even going to cut my little girl's hair. I'll just let it grow and and do what it will. Little girls are so cute with super-long hair! It's so versatile too.

LittleOrca
March 16th, 2009, 11:39 PM
All the princesses and cartoons I loved, like Lady Lovely Locks, all had long hair and I wanted to be just like them... until I moved to Oregon and met my old best friend. Then I cut my hair shoulder length to be just like her... and I regret it

Chamomilemaiden
March 17th, 2009, 04:59 AM
I loved long hair and wanted them myself. When I was small My father kept them around shoulder length since I had very fine hair and he believed that they will thicken up.

My mom wanted me to have long hair, but she was never that good in doing my hair, so I learnt to do them alone and when I was in school I never needed any help with it. I liked playing with my own hair, with hair of my brother and mom, but not that much with other people's hair, because I was too shy. However, when I was older and had mid back length other people played with them a lot.

But I always admired long hair, I guess it reminded me of princesses etc. From nursery school I remember seeing a girl who used to wear two folded braids and always wanted to have that style myself, but I never had such long hair. I also remember putting a blanket over my head pretending I have classic length brown hair. :)

LisaS.
March 17th, 2009, 05:21 AM
I loved long hair and spent a lot of time brushing/fixing my dolls' hair. I had one of those Velvet dolls, related to the Chrissy doll from the 1960s/early 70s, who had a button in her belly to push and her hair would get longer. Turn a knob on her back and it would grow shorter. I still have her and all her accessories! My own hair was long from about the age of 4 through high school. My mother devoted a lot of time helping me take care of it-- I was so fortunate since she loved my hair and told me how special it was. All my friends tried to compete with me to grow their hair as long as mine. Guess this made me feel unique as a teenager since I was quiet, nerdy, and not one of the popular cheerleader types as some of my friends were.

3azza
March 17th, 2009, 07:26 AM
I always loved long hair, but sometimes i loved to cut it short, very short. Now i know that thick curly hair looks best when long and will not cut it until i'm unable to handle it or dont have time for it.

neon-dream
March 17th, 2009, 07:51 AM
I wasn't bothered about it, I mean I had long hair myself but I didn't see it as amazing back then.

viking_quest
March 17th, 2009, 10:11 AM
When I was little the last thing on my mind was hair. I was more interesting in playing with my Legos.

gibsongirl71
March 17th, 2009, 10:19 AM
I loved it on my dolls but not on me. My mom would comb it out after baths and it would hurt :blueeek:. So I was happy when she cut it to a bob in 2nd grade.

ecologystudent
March 17th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Wasn't bothered. I had long hair growing up, and it didn't really occur to me that people could have short hair until I was around 10.

Weirdly though, I thought that I'd have really short hair as an adult- but then I also thought I'd be a science officer on the starship enterprise. :shrug:

RancheroTheBee
March 17th, 2009, 12:41 PM
I think I treated my hair well as a child, although it hardly interested me. I washed, conditioned, air-dried and went on with my day. It grew to huge lengths, then in the fifth grade, I chopped if off, starting my lifelong quest to have hip-length hair again, which as of yet, has not happened.

YET. :D

Braidmaid
March 18th, 2009, 08:06 AM
I have always loved long hair. My father passed his love for long hair on to me. While my mother was not interested in us kids having long hair, my father told us we were little princesses. I have two sisters and together he helped us with our hair. Now, my sisters have shorter hair, but I have always loved mine long.
Mom thought shorter hair would be easier to maintain, but Dad helped us to keep it long. He would gently help us comb it and he even learned to french braid. I remember going to school with a fish tail braid once and my friends thought it was so cool. I told them my Daddy did it, and they were really surprised. I just thought that was what daddys did. Even today, we share a special bond, and he encourages me with my hair.
All through college, I kept my hair at waist length. I cut it to shoulder length to try to save a bad marriage that eventually failed, but I won't go into that.
Now I'm curious to see how long it will get. And by the way, Dad still helps with the occasional fish-tail braid!

Naava
March 18th, 2009, 08:14 AM
I had long hair as a child and I loved it. It made me feel like a princess and that was important to me. Unfortunately I didn't like to get my hair detangled so my mom decided to get my hair chopped of. After the cut I wore a hat for two days and cried :(

I have wanted to have long hair back ever since, but for some reason it has taken me this long to really start growing it.

twilight
March 18th, 2009, 08:38 AM
i usually had MB or longer hair even as a little girl (and even when the top was spiked :doh: yes, mullet)... but for me it was more about the fantasy women i loved who all had long hair.

case(s) in point: buttercup (princess bride), lily (legend), sarah (labyrinth), amalthea (last unicorn), etc.

yup.

Fethenwen
March 18th, 2009, 09:21 AM
I didn't care for princesses and long hair when I was little, I played with cheese. But my oh my, my hair was really something. It was deep bronze in color and it was very long and shiny. My mother took good care of it while I was occupied with more interesting things ^^ Like eating clay cakes. I remember I got a lot of compliments on my hair.
I'm aiming to get my childhood hair back!

mugglemomof3
March 18th, 2009, 09:23 AM
I used to wrap my baby blanket around my head and pretend it was long hair when I was a kid. Even when my hair was long and my mom combed it (ouch ouch ouch) I loved long hair. One of these days it will be that long again . . .

Robbi Dehlinger
March 18th, 2009, 11:42 PM
I used to drape a towel over my head to make it look like I had long hair, though I prolly looked more like a fmelae bible character??

Still love it:)

IndigoInk
March 21st, 2009, 06:07 PM
Hair was a big part of my childhood. I hated having my hair brushed, hated! I hated having it blow dried, but my mother and grandmother thought that I would catch a cold bah! Then my mother got exasperated and started giving my sister and I mushroom cuts. Ugh! UGH! I hated them so much but my mom insisted that until I could take care of my own hair it would keep getting cut. So finally about 3rd grade I got to start growing it out. I loved my hair and never cut it shorter than BSL after that.

Long hair has always been an obsession of mine and like someone else said I couldn't understand why other girls would cut off their barbies beautiful hair! LOL.

My daughter got her first hair cut at age 6. She wanted it short, *sigh* I figured it's her hair and I didn't want to force her to wear it a certain way like I was. Now she wants her hair long, to her ankles :D

Sieren
March 21st, 2009, 06:30 PM
I liked my hair long as a child, however I hated taking care of it. As a result, I had tailbone-legnth, sunbleached, snarly, tangly, crazy light brown hair when I was younger. hehe. I was quite a strange child...as a side-note, I also loved wearing mis-matched clothing...

EvaSimone
March 21st, 2009, 06:39 PM
I didn't really pay attention to hair and I didn't particularly like long hair. In fact for quite a while I had a mushroom cut and a boys hair cut. My hair never was longer than BSL.

I don't really understand what happened but my perspective about hair has changed. I don't think all long hair is automatically beautiful but when it's nice looking long hair I sure do like it. :heart:

NeilTheFuzz
March 21st, 2009, 06:40 PM
From a boys perspective, I had the typical mindset that long hair was for girls exclusively. That changed when I was around 10 and was starting to be exposed to hard rock, grunge and metal. The people and the music definately changed how I thought about long hair on blokes. It took me a few more years until I decided to have a go at growing my hair. Seven years on and here I am!

ReddishRocks
March 21st, 2009, 07:35 PM
My father insisted that my hair be kept long when I was younger... he's bald, you see. :D Every could of weeks he'd look me over in mock-suspicion; "Did you cut your hair??"

His comments always came from a place of total adoration, but my teenage brain rebelled somewhat when my parents divorced. I chopped it off to a pixie (total timeline in my blog) half because I wanted to and half because I was really upset with him. Even though I'm growing it out again, I don't regret it. :cool:

Carolyn
March 21st, 2009, 08:07 PM
I loved long hair as a child but wasn't allowed to have it. I think I was born loving long hair. It's something that's been a constant my whole life. I had a ponytail a couple times but I think my hair only got to maybe APL before my parents dislike of long hair took over and I was forced to have it cut to a chin length bob. I hated my hair but learned complaining about did no good. I loved seeing long hair on others. I had a babysitter with a very long ponytail and would always ask if Vienna could be our sitter. I never told my mom why I loved Vienna so much. In 8th grade I learned how to wash it myself and care for it and finally was allowed more control over it. I knew I wanted it long and started growing it. It took over 2 years to overcome a home perm done the 1st week of 9th grade.

princess
March 21st, 2009, 08:16 PM
To me long hair was the epitome of beauty.

Surprisingly somebody with long hair when you look at their face was not so beautiful.

It always is like that. Somebody pretty may not have very long or thick hair.

I know a girl with hair so thick it was four times the thickness of my hair.

She was so thin it was waistlength and she cut it to BSL because it was telling on her health.

She still had thickness but I cried when she cut her hair. She was pretty though.

Such combinations are hard to come by. But long thick hair. waistlength or kneelength was

always a wonderful sight something to remember.

My mom's younger sister had knee length hair and I used to adore her. It was even thickness

but kind of thin though very very long.

Now too I think long hair is beautiful. Not so much like earlier though in different way.

Because I know it reflects on the way the person takes good care of her hair. And also because of the diet she takes.

And good healthy hair reflects good healthy body.

Oh yes. In a more knowledgible kind of way.

Lohari
March 22nd, 2009, 12:58 PM
I didn't really think anything about my hair, it just was there, long because my mom wanted so. I sometimes played with it, saying that I have a beard when I tied my hair in front of my chin :') But nothing more... My mother really adores long hair, and I thank her for that, because if she hadn't said that I shouldn't cut short, I would have cut it when I was 12. Some of my friends had told me that I'd look better with short hair, so I was really thinking about it. That was something that really got me into liking long hair, and I've never seriously thought about cutting it after that.

sandigirl
March 22nd, 2009, 01:04 PM
I loved long hair as a child and still do. My mom used to cut mine short, too, and I cried every time. Starting around age 10 I started growing it out and it has never been shorter than bsl ever since. Long hair is beautiful and so feminine. I can't ever imagine having short hair even if I live to be 100.

dulce-de-leche
March 25th, 2009, 06:53 PM
I've been hair obsessed since I was very young and it all stated with my grandmother's long beautiful thick hair.I used to like going to her house just so I could comb her hair.My sister and I would also use those haloween witch wigs and pretend we were Repunzuls and toss our hair around.UUUHHH I just love long hair!

BranwenWolf
March 25th, 2009, 07:02 PM
I was always the kid with the longest hair in all of my classes in elementary school. To me it was normal and everyone else was weird.

I went to shoulder/BSL a bit in my teens, and the comments are just starting on my tailbone hair. I wanna be that long-haired freak again, and I'm getting close!

peachrose
March 25th, 2009, 07:04 PM
I always loved it and would look at pictures of my mom for hours when she was younger and had TB hair. I loved playing with my dolls hair too but never thought I could have it for myself. My hair was always so dry and awful before I learned how to care for it so I kind of gave up on it and had it short. I thought that long hair was very princess-like and always dreamed of having it for myself...

Aisha25
March 25th, 2009, 07:12 PM
I was raised to have long hairs my dad would not allow me or my mom to cut my hair. So to me it was just there I did not really look at it or admire long hairs until I had them cut,then I realised just how important long hair is and was to our culture and to me espesially. I cried everyday when my hairs was short, I hated them. So that is why now I cherish them and never curse them,they are black gold to me,a gift.

ratgirldjh
March 25th, 2009, 07:15 PM
i liked to play with other people (usually dolls LOL) long hair when i was young - but never really took care of my own and it was usually stringy and in my face.

when i got older i liked it for a while and then cut my hair short (dorthy hamil) and had it short for many years. my mom always LOVED long hair and thought ALL women and girls should have it and that i looked like my head was too little with short hair.

now i LOVE long hair and my mom recently cut her waist length hair to above her shoulder! and i'm growing mine long.... weird how times change!

MadPirateBippy
March 25th, 2009, 08:56 PM
My childhood view of hair- it's a lot of work.

My adult view of hair- it's a lot of work but also fun and rewarding.

Nanni
March 26th, 2009, 07:15 AM
I was the hairdresser in the family. I often used to put velcro rollers on everybody who came to visit. I also pretended to cut the hair with my fingers. My sister on the other hand, used real scissors and cut her own hair and everyone of her dolls.

enfys
March 26th, 2009, 07:15 AM
I voted I wasn't bothered. I don't really remember it. It wasn't in the way but it wasn't amazing. I don't remember anything about my hair hardly.

It was long and my mum would put clips and plaits and bunches in my hair. I looked cute. Lots of my friends liked my hair more than me and asked me if they coud play with it. If they didn't hurt me I'd let them.

When I was in high school I apprectiated it more.

andrea1982
March 26th, 2009, 07:45 AM
I replied I wasn't bothered, but I really had mixed feelings. I wanted longer hair (I was often called a boy) but my Mom didn't have the "patience". However, I did know a few little girls with long hair who would chew on the ends of their braids, or always have hair in their mouth.. EWW! And also, if I see hair dragging on something, it makes me feel gross. I was at the airport and there was a little girl with loose TB length hair playing on the luggage carousel. Yikes, I had visions of her hair getting caught!

Lissa
March 26th, 2009, 08:26 AM
I can't remember ever thinking about hair at all when I was younger, so I guess I just didn't care.

Forever_Sophie
March 26th, 2009, 10:06 AM
I always loved long hair but my parents always had it cut short :( I was a girly girl, always.

JamieLeigh
March 26th, 2009, 10:29 AM
I've definitely always been in sweet, sweet love with long hair! :crush: I always pitched such a fit on hair trimming days, that my mom eventually left me alone by age 12. By the time I was 17, my hair was brushing my knees at the longest part. For the past few years, I've been keeping it at a "manageable" length (TB), to let my bangs catch up. I've had super-long hair with fairytale ends before, so now I'm curious to see if I can do it with thicker, more blunt ends. If not, I'll be happy to have it in any way possible. :)

Roseate
March 26th, 2009, 10:30 AM
I didn't care a bit. My mom kept my hair cut with bangs, somewhere between ear and shoulder, for most of my childhood. I got it cut in a pixie in junior high, then grew it to waist by college and discovered the joys of long hair as an adult.

My brother, on the other hand, has loved long hair from the cradle. As soon as he could express a preference, he asked our mom to stop cutting his hair; she let him start growing a mullet at 6 and he has a TBL mane now! (No more mullet, thank God!)

Garnetgem
April 12th, 2016, 11:05 PM
I was a bit of a tom boy as a child and liked my hair short and kept it that way....then aged 11 i decided i wanted long hair until then i don't think noticed hair that much..

Sarahlabyrinth
April 12th, 2016, 11:36 PM
I never cared about hair as a child - it was something that was just there and annoyingly needed washing from time to time.

CircesButterfly
April 12th, 2016, 11:58 PM
I loved it very much as a child because it was fascinating to look at but unfortunately my hair was short as a child. I kept it that way for many years until I just decided to grow it out. I feel now it's a matter and reflection of a woman who has self respect for herself. It takes time to grow so patience can become better with time. With patience, I have learned it's a definite pleasure to have long hair. Now that I have it - I want to take care of it.

henné
April 13th, 2016, 01:58 AM
When I was little (under 10 years of age), I couldn't care less. I never paid it any mind.

My daughter, who is 5 years old sometimes seems to really care how she has her hair, but at the end of the day it's really not a big issue for her. For example, she wants long hair (just like Elsa!), but her hair just doesn't grow so much yet (just really started a year ago, she was nearly bald until 2 and still has very thin hair) and I still have to cut it from time to time to get rid of the damaged/brittle ends, which makes the growth minimal. But she's ok with the cutting even though she knows it makes her hair shorter ... so she cares, but also doesn't really care. I'm sure the older she gets, the more she'll care and I really hope that by then her hair gets thicker and starts growing more so that she doesn't feel bad about her hair.

tiffycakes
April 13th, 2016, 04:24 AM
I had very short pixie cut hair because I wanted to be just like my Mum. Plus, she didn't let me grow out my hair till I was 7 because she insisted that I wasn't allowed until I could look after it myself.

MeganJoan
April 13th, 2016, 05:02 AM
I have very few memories of my hair as a child, which is why I said I wasn't that bothered.

I had long hair until about grade 3, when I wanted it cut and my mum let me cut it into a bob. I hated it. Grew it out again straight away.

Prior to that I remember being very young and not wanting a fringe anymore. My mum said I had to grow it out. I was really upset with her that she wouldn't just cut it off for me haha. I didn't really understand at all how hair worked.

I also remember my mum taking me along with someone else to a braiding class. I had long hair so I was a model. And I hated it. Which is odd because I usually quite liked people playing with my hair *shrug*.

When I was little I always looked at the black hair dyes and told my mum I wanted black hair. She thought I was being silly and/or ridiculous. Then when I actually dyed it black as a teenager she loved it. Every time now that I discuss hair dye she just says I should dye it black again. Oh how the tables have turned!

lithostoic
April 13th, 2016, 05:34 AM
I didn't give any thought about hair when I was little except I wished my hair was wavy and red. I didn't even notice it changed colors depending on how much sun I got until I was like 15 and started looking at childhood photos.

Now I still don't really care about hair that much, but enough for me to want it to look healthy.

Platzhalter
April 13th, 2016, 05:50 AM
Guess it didn't really bother me. Especially not when it comes to taking care of it... wanted long hair for quite some time as child but my mother usually refused to let me have anything longer than chin-length (later shoulder) for various reasons. While it sometimes was annoying, other things were way more important, you know.

MlleMC
April 13th, 2016, 07:41 AM
I remember being very proud of my BSL (I think) hair when I was 5, and of being able to do my own (lopsided) pigtails. But then every time my hair got long, my mother suggested I had it cut, and I eventually gave in, thinking it was my own choice. So I had my a pixie at 5, then a short bob, and a second pixie at 10. But after that second pixie, I refused to have my hair cut for four years, except for trims, so I grew it to around hip, until I started listening to my friends' fashion "advice" in my teen years...

uub
April 13th, 2016, 08:52 AM
I loved long hair when I was young and though APL was the perfect length -- just enough to have a great pony tail!

Cg
April 13th, 2016, 11:12 AM
When little I ignored my hair, but it was extremely thick and fast-growing. It was always still wet the day after washing and I was always cold when it was wet, summer or winter. Finally my mother took pity on my blue lips and cut it from past classic to pixie.

Hairkay
April 13th, 2016, 11:29 AM
I thought long hair was fine. When I was very young I had some time to get used to trying to comb my own bushy lot. Then I didn't notice the difference in hair lengths in others. It was when I moved countries and some talked about how they'd love to have long hair that I began to notice. Some considered my BSL that shrunk to APL or SL long others thought it was short. I did have some older admirers who would play in my hair sometimes until grandmother complained when she noticed I came home with my hair changed from how she'd combed it in the mornings. I never asked to play with extremely long hair of people I knew. I didn't need to touch it to admire it. I'd say that there are times I noticed hair and other times when I didn't bother.

Frankenstein
April 13th, 2016, 10:48 PM
I loved long hair as a child but generally kept it no longer than APL most of the time, not sure why.

Groovy Granny
April 14th, 2016, 05:14 AM
I wasn't bothered; as a kid my hair care/style was out of MY control and usually was kept short.
I grew it long in high school, but never fussed with it, and eventually cut it short from 25-30.
I had more style sense in my 40's when I grew it out again after a stylist chop :mad:.
Had another stylist mishap :( and cut it short when I was 50....until I was 61 and decided to grow long and silver until my last breath :p
Now I am fully focused on hair length and style in my 60s :D

Winterwitch
April 14th, 2016, 05:21 AM
I didn't care about the length of hair when I was little, but I remember I hated bangs until I was about 10 and read manga where everyone had bangs and they looked pretty.
Now I just want my hair to be super long forever. It's not something I would've even thought about when I was a kid.

Shepherdess
May 18th, 2016, 11:17 PM
As a young child, I absolutely loved long hair. I remember looking through picture books with princesses and wishing I could have such pretty long hair like them. I also remember as a little tot how I couldn't wait for my hair to be long enough to put into a ponytail, and I kept trying to until it was long enough and I was so excited when it did, then I remember I used to check my hair every day, stretching to see if it yet was long enough to reach my belly button. So I think even as a little girl I had small goals for myself. My mom was also my inspiration, since she always had long hair (usually around waist-hip I think at the time). My mom would tell me if I wanted to have long hair, I had to take care of it, brush out the snarls every day, and braid it every night. My mom would braid it every night until I learned how, then I diligently did this every night, and it still is an automatic habit every night and I am not comfortable sleeping with my hair loose. ;) I remember admiring other people's hair too as a child. I also recall one time my grandma threatened to cut all my hair off because I had gum stuck in it and how scared I was at such a thought, but fortunately that didn't happen, haha. :p The question of this thread brings back a lot of old memories. :)

I think as I get older, I like and admire long hair more and more, and it's exciting to learn new styles and ways of caring for it too. Also, now that I am older, I know that long hair like the princesses and maidens had in my childhood picture books is possible to attain (which I didn't realize back then), and there are many who have pretty hair just like that on these forums. :D

yahirwaO.o
May 19th, 2016, 12:48 AM
I was a young boy and didn't really cared about my hair. I had a love and hate affair with my typical 90's bowl cut! I was however, more aware I was a chubby unhappy kid, so hair was like the last thing in my mind!

I now view my hair as a part of my personality and there's even some spiritual aspects going on! I love the way it flows in the wind and the feeling when its down my back!
In Mexican folk, those native aztecs with gorgeous deep black straight hair have always catch my eye. Also I feel a bit rebel in a very comformative society even Im a young man, so this keeps me going on, not necessarily a gender role thing but more like my own emancipation for what a person should be!

Stormster
May 19th, 2016, 05:37 AM
My view of my hair as a Kid - I wanted it 'long' (Shoulder length) since my hair had this very slight curl to it that, at that length, literally framed my face (I split it down the middle and let the bangs grow to chin length, at which point they'd flip in just a little bit )

As long as it was shiny and clean, I didn't really care otherwise.

Now AND Then - I was still wearing the same cut as described above when I saw my first anime - Sailor Moon! I had a serious case of hair envy at how long the character's hair was, and decided to grow my own out enough to try the bun-style (or at least get the cool ponytail). This was only reinforced when I saw another anime with another long-hair (Gundam Wing's Duo Maxwell) and decided I HAD to have long hair, no matter what. :o

Now - I love my hair being long as it is, I love the odd compliment I get when I leave it down yet braided (I don't get many of them!), but I realize it's not as healthy as it used to be, I've done it some damage and it needs some extra love and care but I'm so happy that I grew it out in the first place.

lapushka
May 19th, 2016, 06:41 AM
From age 5/6 I started to grow out towards classic, which I reached at age 10/11. Then chopped it back off to a page-boy cut, which I had before age 5/6 as well. During middle school & high school it never got beyond BSL, came close a few times, but still. There was a time at age 13/14 where I lost a fair bit of my hair (fell out in clumps/bald spots). That regulated itself and was OK again, and thick again, at age 15/16 and then I started to crimp the bejeezus out of it. :lol: Because the texture had changed from 1b/c to 2b/c and was (to me at the time) so difficult to deal with. Poof. Poof everywhere. :lol: And then I buzzed it in my twenties to a millimetered cut à la Sinéad o'Connor (with the coat and everything - still have it to this day). Then came henna and growth again. It was a blur mid to late twenties and whatever, then mid to late thirties I sort of started to accept my texture more and more. And here we are a decade later and no change in routine since. :) :o

vampyyri
May 19th, 2016, 06:49 AM
When I was a child, my best friend and I had a "contest" to see who could grow their hair longer. In the end, she ended up cutting hers to SL, and mine was at TBL for a 8/9 year old girl. We're still friends now, and she still has SL hair, while I'm trying to get to TBL... some things never change!

(edit: I haven't had my coffee yet and I can't spell before it :lol:)

callahanwade
May 19th, 2016, 08:42 AM
I had long hair as a child, and I liked it, mostly because I could swing my ponytail and hit people with it. ;)

endersworld
May 19th, 2016, 08:57 AM
When I was really little, my mom cut her hair, and I wanted to match it (she went from permed waist-length hair to a sort of short pixie she would spike up), so I got my hair cut into a really awkward bowl cut. After that, my parents kept my hair pretty short. It was probably easier to clean an active little girl's short hair than long hair, and for most of my life, my hair didn't get any longer than APL (it's almost laughable to think of my hair ever being that short, because it hasn't been that length in nearly 5 years). But at the same time, I loved fairytales (Rapunzel was a favorite), and dreamed about having hair long enough to touch the floor.

quirkybookworm
May 19th, 2016, 12:23 PM
In elementary school, I loved long hair, but never had it. I loved braiding my doll's hair, and my friend's hair. I loved having my hair braided, and I wanted my hair long, but I hated brushing tangles out of my hair and my parents got sick of fighting me on it and made me keep it short.
In middle school, I went through my 'experimental' phase. I dyed it, abused it, etc, and I was fine with it being shorter -- I didn't care about the length as long as it looked okay. Sometimes it would get a little long, but then I'd cut it, again. I'm the type of person who gets a haircut and then I don't maintain the cut, and before I know it, my hair is mid-back.
In high school, I wanted my long, virgin, hair back so I hacked it to shoulder to get a fresh start and then I started growing it out.

So, long story short, I've always loved long hair, but this is the first time that I've actually tried to grow mine out.

Olavi
May 19th, 2016, 01:08 PM
I LOVED my hair long when a was a child! It was around mid back until I was 7, and I was so, so proud of it. Of course I was very impatient when it came to (mom) taking care of it, and that was the doom of long hair days of my childhood. Most summers my mom did micro braids, because my hair tangled like crazy if she didn't, especially when we went to archipelago for week or two. But unfortunately, few days before first day of my first grade in school, there was massive tangle of doom. And being impatient child, instead of choosing hours my mom would spend de-tangling, I cut the tangle off. Not one of my brightest moments. After that it was years between bob-BSL, not because I was forced, but yeah, I had some serious patience issues...

Now I still love my long hair, but I have more patience. I still may cut some tiny tangles if they are close to ends, but if bigger ones manage to for (last week I had few almost-dreadlocks...) I will gently de-tangle them.

pili
May 20th, 2016, 08:36 AM
I lov d long hair as a child. I wanted hair you could sit on, but with my thickness and texture I didn't take care of it right (dry brushing, no product, no clue really). My mom got sick of trying to care for mine and my sister's hair so she cut us back to pixies. We both hated them, but my sis was a tomboy and it didn't bother her as much. I was the girly,girl who read fantasy.

Kirby-oh
May 23rd, 2016, 02:12 PM
I always liked long hair, but I never thought I could do it. My cousin's son is a few years old now and he has had long hair his whole life. Which probably helped me realize one day while I was looking for haircuts to get, maybe I could just not get a haircut. Two years now. :)

chen bao jun
May 23rd, 2016, 08:31 PM
I was happy my hair was long. there was some product, I think it was butter, or maybe cocoa that showed a painting of a pretty girl on it who had two braids on her chest. I used to look at the box and be happy that I also had two thick braids that came down to the same length on my chest. I would stare at that painting while I ate my breakfast and feel happy. We used to call braids 'plaits'. We wore ribands tied on the the ends, I loved that, especially red ribbons.

Me and my sister used to measure our braids against each other to see whose hair was longer. We both wanted to have the longer hair!

One of my aunts always wore her hair in just one braid which came down to her waist--I used to think that a braid like that would be even nicer! But my braid never grew to waist and I assumed I had reached terminal length (I did not know those words, though).

People used to tell me about my Granny, that I had never met (she lived in a foreign country) who had classic length hair, that she sat on--i couldn't even imagine that. It sounded like a fairy tale.

Few grown women in those days had long hair. It was the early 1960's and everybody had short styled hair. Something called the 'bubble cut' was popular. Women would wear what they called 'chignons' but you could tell that was fake hair, it never quite matched their real hair. they would pin these braids or 'switches' to their heads and make buns with bobby pins when they went out in the evenings (in elegant backless dresses, fur stoles and long white gloves.). I wanted to grow up and be one of those women! I was so pissed off when I got to be a teenager and everybody had turned into a scraggly hippie chick in blue jeans and all the elegance was gone! (though in the hippie era you did see a lot of hair that was reasonably long).

I never imagined anyone having enough hair to use their real hair to make a chignon. Even my granny, with thick classic hair, that I used to hear about, when I met her, had what I thought was a rather small bun. I never knew until I was on LHC how much hair it takes to have those head-eating buns.

Someone told me the other day that my bun was 'substantial'. I was so happy, it was like I was walking on air for the rest of the day. :) Usually I get complete astonishment when I take down my hair (as in, you have so MUCH hair --they mean thick more than they mean long--where is all that hair hiding, it doesn't show in your bun).

In almost 60 years, my views haven't changed at all.

schulte
May 23rd, 2016, 10:05 PM
Had buzz cuts, didn't want anything else. I suppose I always liked long hair on girls; definitely didn't want it and would have thrown a fit if I was made to grow it. I don't remember really making fun of the few boys at school who had long hair, I guess I figured to each their own. Never would have grown it out if not for the man bun fad, and now I don't plan on cutting it.

genlilliana
May 24th, 2016, 09:48 AM
My parents cut long, thick, curly hair to boy short (not even pixie cut or similar) - boy short - every summer. It never got too long as a result and all I wanted was long hair. Coupled with my mother not being a girly girl and having no clue what to do with my hair...it got chopped. I was in my teens when I took control and grew it out. I love it long but really, until this past couple of years (thanks to this forum) I never understood my hair enough to care for it properly. Now it's not just long and pretty - it's healthy too!

sommer
June 10th, 2016, 06:00 PM
My parents cut long, thick, curly hair to boy short (not even pixie cut or similar) - boy short - every summer. It never got too long as a result and all I wanted was long hair. Coupled with my mother not being a girly girl and having no clue what to do with my hair...it got chopped. I was in my teens when I took control and grew it out. I love it long but really, until this past couple of years (thanks to this forum) I never understood my hair enough to care for it properly. Now it's not just long and pretty - it's healthy too!

Oh so similiar to my story! :) In my early childhood my parents cut my hair often too so I reminded boys with such short haircut :D I dind't like this style so much that I refused to cut it anymore and decided to grow my hair long :) And I really achieved this goal because before my 14th birthday my hair was lower than my waist! :) I adored its longiness but always hated its natural colour :p I just had that strange obsession with the blonde colours like here (http://hairstylezz.com/best-platinum-blonde-hair-color-ideas/) in my childhood and teenage years and wanted to make my hair the same. So good that it didn't happen :eek:
I cut my hair for the first time in 14 years and then was a long period of short haircuts :) Only not so long ago I decided to repeat my "childhood style" :D

Whirled_peas
June 10th, 2016, 07:16 PM
I had long hair as a child and most of my friends did as well. I cut my hair in high school and recently decided to grow it long again.

humble_knight
June 10th, 2016, 07:27 PM
The view I had as a child, and now as an adult, is that I thought long hair looked good on people. I remember Christopher Lambert in Greystoke making an impression on me when I watched it on tv, as did his Highlander films. It's a good time to be an adult male growing his hair out because of the man-bun and hipster trend.

gregh
June 17th, 2016, 04:32 PM
It's a good time to be an adult male growing his hair out because of the man-bun and hipster trend.
This is definitely true. As for me I thought it looked good on other people and started to want my own some time around junior high, so can't say it has really changed all that much.

Entangled
June 17th, 2016, 04:38 PM
I loved long hair and everything to do with it...but I never had longer than APL hair for manageability purposes. I wore it up all the time when I was young, and then sometime around third grade I stopped.

Wusel
June 18th, 2016, 12:16 PM
I didn't like my long hair. I wanted to be a boy. And later I wanted tiny, short pigtails like a schoolfriend of mine.
I always wanted my hair SHORTER than it was.
I can't believe that was me... But it's true.

Magalo
June 18th, 2016, 12:22 PM
I had hair I could sit on when I was 6-7. Then started going to the hairdresser. I became obsessed with long hair when I was 11-12, but started heat styling and dying it (black, then bright orange) and razor layering it like it was cool to do then. My hair never grew and I didn't understood. Then at 19 I found LHC and henna. I'm gonna be 23 next month, and my fourth hair anniversary on december 2016. :)

Agnes Hannah
June 18th, 2016, 02:36 PM
As a finey my hair was kept short as a child, the longest it was allowed to grow to was APL, but I always craved long hair. When I was in nursery school, my teacher had long blonde hair, it was beautiful and I was fascinated by it. When I grew up I managed to grow to BSL, but went short after my children were born. I kept a bob for sometime, then had a pixie, with bleached blonde streaky fringe. Then I decided to grow it out, so grew back into a bob and went from there. I'm 50 now, my hair is at tailbone and I colour it with henna.

dancingfrog
June 20th, 2016, 06:38 AM
As a kid and teen, hair was just a thing I had and it was almost straight and shoulderish length. I liked it okay, but wasn't "into it". I did not appreciate my mother's curling iron attempts or the perm I was pretty much forced to get. Women in my family either have or want the curls. Me, NO, I like it straight.

nitagurl
April 18th, 2017, 01:53 PM
My "view of hair" as a child was honestly quite sad. I used to wear a towel over my head and run around the house like that because I wanted long hair so badly. Even as young as 6 and 7 years old I thought that I was genetically predisposed to have short hair. That long hair was meant for the 'other' girls. I had no idea that how you treat it and care for it is what made all of the difference. I wanted to be a Disney princess so badly. I saw Ariel's hair floating around her in almost ever scene and just fell in love with her fiery, long locks. How it fell around her shoulders and spilled over her body was just.... :bowtome:.I thought Jasmine had the thickest ponytail I'd ever see. Pocahontas made me crave that hair-blowing-in-the-wind feeling.

The view I hold now? I honestly love my hair. I may be over-critical of it's current length and harp just a little too much on how I could improve this or improve that. But, my hair is in the best condition it has ever been in my entire life. It's the longest it's ever been. And, the best part, it's still growing. I finally get to enjoy all of the feelings associated with longer hair that I imagined as a kid. I feel like I can stand next to Esmeralda from the Hunchback of Notre Dame and smirk right along with her. I love my hair :crush:.

Siri
April 18th, 2017, 06:19 PM
I always wanted long hair and loved it but it never seemed to get much beyond just passed my shoulders (probably had to do with my mother always giving me home permanents). :doh: FINALLY though I've gotten it to waist length. :joy:

_fred_
April 19th, 2017, 01:07 AM
@nitagurl, your hair love is inspirational :) And so is your hair, so gorgeous!

@siri, congrats on getting to waist! I hope to be there in a few years time...

As a kid, my hair was super short and pretty curly, but I always wanted princess hair like my best friend (kids, eh). Once I hit about 5 years old, I gained a bit of control over haircuts, and was so adamant I wanted to grow it out. So I did, and it was a complete mess for a long time. But at least I got to grow it. Now growing it all over again, and hopefully this time I know enough that it won't be a mess...

languagenut
April 19th, 2017, 01:54 AM
I voted "I wasn't bothered". As a little kid I just took for granted that girls had long hair and didn't really think about it. I remember saying I wanted it to grow down to the floor, and feeling a bit awed at descriptions like "waist length braid" and "long enough to sit on" in books, but it wasn't a very prominent thing on my mind. I was too busy believing either that I was a mad scientist, or that I was Dory from "Finding Nemo".

In regards to hair, the strongest thing I felt was that I did NOT want my mom to put it in a ponytail, because she always did it too tight and it was painful all day. As I got to about 10 or so, I remember looking in the mirror and imagining my hair at chin length. I didn't think it would look so bad, but I didn't ever actually act on those imaginings. Otherwise, hair was just the mass that grew on my head, and got tangled, and hurt when it was in a ponytail, and I didn't really care about it all that much. I don't remember how old I was when, after not getting a trim in a while, my bangs had gotten to where I could tuck them behind my ears. So the next time I got a trim, I said I didn't want the bangs trimmed because they'd just be in my face. My mom went along with that, and I haven't had bangs since, and don't intend to.

I didn't pay much attention to other people's hair, or care whether it was long or not.

I remember I did try to be a hairdresser for my dolls... which sometimes involved scissors. Somehow the idea that it really wouldn't grow back never fully registered.

---------------------

Now, I have mixed feelings. I think long hair is nice, but I often wonder if shorter hair wouldn't look better on me. Not like short short, but maybe mid-back or so. But currently I'm just going along with it as it is, and being somewhat curious about how long it can grow.

My utter disinterest in styling it (except braids to keep it off my neck in summer) persisted until about a few years ago; I occasionally tried to put it in a ponytail but it always got all tangled up with the ponytail holder so I gave up on that. I would sometimes do a half-up with a barrette.

It wasn't until a little over a year ago that I decided to learn how to use the hair sticks my parents had given me the Christmas before. I learned to do a cinnabun (which at the time was just "a bun"; I didn't know there were any others!) with hair sticks, and was amazed at how it was so easy, and could hold my hair up so well! It was in my googling about hair sticks that I found this forum. I've since learned some other buns, so I can hold my hair up with one stick or two, or with a fork, and have become more interested in keeping my hair healthy (something I never thought about before). So I like being able to put it up after all these years, despite my mom's claims that I'll "become an old biddy" with my hair in a bun! :laugh:

But the idea of having it cut somewhat shorter is still on my mind, and it's quite likely to be realized at some point, even if not very soon.

_fred_
April 19th, 2017, 02:48 AM
I remember I did try to be a hairdresser for my dolls... which sometimes involved scissors. Somehow the idea that it really wouldn't grow back never fully registered.

My Barbie sported a very unflattering electric shock kind of crop for the same reason.

Kikyou
April 19th, 2017, 03:08 AM
I had classic hair as a kid, until I was 9 or 10. I hated it. I hated the french braid my mom used to do every day to keep my hair out of my face at school. I hated it when she and my aunt wanted to do some fancy braided styles and told me to sit still for more than 3 minutes (how could they be so cruel? :D). I wanted the chin lenght hair that was trendy among primary school girls in middle 90's. I made it happen when I was 10 or 11, finally, after asking for it since I was 7. Guess what I do now, being almost 25. Trying to grow it back to classic and wearing braided styles daily, with french braid being my no.1 for busy days :D

Kat-Rinnè Naido
April 19th, 2017, 08:16 AM
I have always loved long hair and would play pretend with a towel on my head.

Aredhel
April 19th, 2017, 08:20 AM
I loved long hair, I always associated it with princesses and stuff. :) I always wanted really long hair!

_flora_
April 19th, 2017, 11:56 AM
I had bangs and chin-length hair, apart from weekend mornings at home, where I used my pajama pants as long hair.

Estrid
April 19th, 2017, 12:29 PM
I did not care about hair at all when I was a kid. I remember thinking short hair was cool, but that's about it. I don't remember any other opinions on hair.

I started noticing more about hair when I got above age 12, but not enough to have an opinion on it.

Aunty Miki
April 19th, 2017, 12:45 PM
Only foreigners, non-Americans could grow loooooong hair, because the only longhairs I ever saw were from foreign countries. I was young and didn't know that I, too, could grow it like that if I didn't cut it.

Aunty Miki
April 19th, 2017, 12:47 PM
I used to put a towel on my head, too, pretending it's long hair!

nitagurl
April 19th, 2017, 05:07 PM
@nitagurl, your hair love is inspirational :) And so is your hair, so gorgeous!

@siri, congrats on getting to waist! I hope to be there in a few years time...

As a kid, my hair was super short and pretty curly, but I always wanted princess hair like my best friend (kids, eh). Once I hit about 5 years old, I gained a bit of control over haircuts, and was so adamant I wanted to grow it out. So I did, and it was a complete mess for a long time. But at least I got to grow it. Now growing it all over again, and hopefully this time I know enough that it won't be a mess...

Thank you so much! lol

MoonRabbit
April 19th, 2017, 06:11 PM
I didn't have an opinion on hair when I was younger. My mom had knee length so maybe I was just used to seeing long hair as typical.

Salwety
September 27th, 2017, 08:37 PM
I always dreamed of having long hair. Sometimes I would wear a scaarf or viel on my head and pretend it is my hair.

Dendra
September 29th, 2017, 05:47 AM
As a kid I loved hair, but not long hair in particular. So I've always been hair-focused but until recently I've been more into colour and style rather than length.

The longest I ever had my hair or even considered having it was MBL.

Corvana
September 29th, 2017, 12:43 PM
As a kid I really didn't care much either way, I guess. I hated when my mother did my hair most times, because she was so rough and it hurt, but I didn't hate my hair itself. It had gotten rather long, at some point, but I don't recall how long. Hip, I suppose?

But when I started high school, I'd moved to a totally different state and wanted to do a "big change" or whatever. So I cut all of my hair off into a stacked bob that looked horrible :laugh: I didn't know how to style it and it was a disaster.

I do remember in high school being in awe of this girl with about classic length hair, though.

spidermom
September 29th, 2017, 05:40 PM
These days, I'm much more interested in good hair cuts (which I know is entirely subjective) than I am in long hair. I seldom see long hair that I think looks good other than in pictures around LHC. But there are a lot of really cute haircuts out there!

Zakuro
September 29th, 2017, 06:17 PM
I always wish I had long hair ever since I was little but it’s not because I liked long hair. The reason why I wanted long hair was because as a child I was always made fun of for having short hair so as soon as I'm allowed to grow my hair long I did.

LadyCelestina
September 30th, 2017, 12:09 AM
I've always loved long hair, and wanted to have butt length hair. It's sad that after all these years on LHC I'm still not there! :D But this time I'm really determined to let it grow :)

Beeboo123
October 5th, 2017, 01:45 AM
I loved long hair, but wasn't allowed to keep it as long as I wanted until I was 16. Also, my mother would force me to chemically straighten my hair. After I was 18, I did whatever I wanted, multiple bleach-dye cycles in quick succession (never had a problem with breakage, strangely), annoyed my mother with my frizzy hair which she demanded I straighten, then I chopped it all off, and have been growing it out since

manuGmz
October 9th, 2017, 02:28 AM
I loved long hair, but my mother always had my hair cut really short, that I looked like a boy. I would put skirts on my head and pretend I had long hair. Many years after, when I met my childhood friends, that was the first thing they remembered about me :eek:

gthlvrmx
October 13th, 2017, 07:01 PM
I wasn't bothered. I didn't notice.

clairyfaire
October 13th, 2017, 10:40 PM
I used to think my hair was such a pain in the butt. It tangled so easily and my curls always turned to frizz. Plus it hurt SO badly when my mom would try to brush it.... I had it cropped chin-length for most of high school and middle school. But I always thought long hair was so beautiful on other people.

In college I started growing it out and finally figured out how to properly take care of it, and fell in love with the idea of being able to achieve long princess hair. I just didn't think it was possible for me when I was little but now I love it. No more chops for me!

Daylilly
October 21st, 2017, 03:53 PM
If I had long hair I'd DO something with it. (Now) If I heat style my hair to much I won't have long hair, better to go with a protective bun or braid.

peachyleshy
December 6th, 2017, 09:32 PM
I have always loved and dreamed of having long hair. I also liked experimenting with it and cutting it myself. When I was a teenager I really wanted to be a hairstylist.

dancingfrog
December 8th, 2017, 04:52 PM
I couldn’t be bothered.
It was never a dream of mine as a kid. My mum kept my hair between chin and shoulder length. Most women in my family are or want to be curly, except me, who wanted and still would like my hair straighter than it is.
I endured perms and the curling iron until the power differential evened out somewhat!

Waveurly
December 9th, 2017, 12:35 PM
When I was a kid I didn't really think about hair. I liked it girly and I think my dad kept it about a bit lower as shoulder length usually but when I was older I grew it longer. I loved that length. It's funny how hair also represents emotions sometimes, because when I was sad later in life, it got shorter and shorter but when I felt good and happy I grew it long again. Now I'm just growing it again but short hair does make me sad ;) Luckily every day it's longer than yesterday! ;)

Lizabeth94
December 10th, 2017, 04:21 PM
I loved long hair, and was always brushing and braiding my dolls hair (and the main and tails on my stuffed ponies too lol), but ironically i wouldn't take care of my own hair. My dad helped me brush it and comb it every day and put it in atyles till i was 9 or 10.

Mega Moose
December 13th, 2017, 01:44 PM
When I was little I wanted to look like an anime character. I wanted hair that was blue or purple and would just stay in any impossible position it was put in. Now I know that to achieve that look long term, you have to do so much damage to your hair and scalp that I'd probably be bald when I get old.

Griselda
December 18th, 2017, 10:23 PM
I loved long hair, but I wasn't allowed to have it. :( I always joke that's the reason why it's so long now. overcompensation. ;) My favorite Barbie as child was of course the Barbie with ankle length hair, so that's reason number two why I am who I am now. Barbie is my role model ;) (just kidding lol)

I didn't have a friend with long hair, and the girls with long hair weren't my friends, so the only braiding I could do was with my Barbie :alcoholic:

LadyArwen
May 20th, 2018, 10:10 PM
this is interesting. I wanted long hair when I was little and finally my mom let me grow it out! Then later my dad threatened to cut it, and then I cut it because all the girls in school had short hair.

As I got older, I got tired of doing things everyone else's way...and started growing my hair out and decided to wear dresses. I felt more feminine and softer, and it felt good. I have returned to those older ideas I had as a little girl...part of me wants to have long hair so that my husband can play with it...so its no longer just me doing it because I think it makes me happy...I want to feel more like a woman around him too <3

Katsura
May 20th, 2018, 10:25 PM
My hair was close to classic when I was a child, so it needed to be brushed and braided every day. It was a nuisance for me, I didn't really appreciate my hair.

Glitch
May 20th, 2018, 10:41 PM
Even as a child, I wanted long hair. Too bad I always got a boy cut (not sure what it's called, but a lot shorter than a pixie, basically "dude hair" lol) against my wishes :( Back then though, my idea of long hair was probably like APL if even, and I didn't really have any concept beyond that (hadn't ever seen anyone irl with longer lengths). What I consider to be long hair is pretty different now - waist or hip length, depending on a person's height etc. - and of course, this time nobody will be chopping off my hair :p

blushy
May 20th, 2018, 10:50 PM
I voted for "I hated/couldn't stand/didnt like long hair as a child" but thats not COMPLETELY true, I didnt HATE it, but I never wanted it. I was in love with chin length hair and even shorter on women as a kid. All my favorite tv show characters had short hair and I envied it!! I remember begging my mom to cut my hair "short like a boy's" when I was in 3rd grade, but she wouldn't cut it above my chin haha! But I regret cutting my hair short all my life cause now I want really long hair!! I guess that's just how it is...

ursaV
May 20th, 2018, 11:23 PM
I adored long hair as a child. I was super girly and loved unicorns, princesses, mermaids, fairies, anything of that sort. What did they all have in common? Silky flowing hair! Unfortunately my mom always kept it short with straight across bangs, and I never really knew any different so I kept that hairstyle with a little variation pretty much forever, say ages 1 to 20. You could say I'm a creature of habit. It never occurred to me that *I* could have pretty long hair too, I guess I was just too absorbed with brushing my dolls' hair than my own. I remember chopping off a doll's hair once because I saw a girl do it on TV, and instantly felt bad about it. I remember especially wanting red hair though, and when I turned 14 that was the first colored I dyed it. All downhill from there.

Joules
May 21st, 2018, 02:30 AM
I guess I loved long hair. I didn't really care abou my hair, since I never had a vote on what length should I have, but I always wanted long hair. I would regularly put tights on my head and pretend it's long hair :D there are photos of it!

ravenskey
May 21st, 2018, 11:14 AM
I wasn't bothered by hair in the slightest despite the fact that I grew it to HL - which I am now back to! - I just had a cycle of benign neglect until I was 10 and cut it to SL.

guska
May 21st, 2018, 11:33 PM
I wasn't bothered, even though I always had TBL. I'm still pretty much in my childhood though :p

Wendyp
May 22nd, 2018, 07:11 PM
I was obsessed with long hair. Grew up in the 60s with all those beautiful long hairs! I always had long hair.

Xlena
May 23rd, 2018, 05:58 PM
I wanted to have long hair as a child, but my mom cut it like a bowl every single summer shudder:

Beyond_Midnight
May 26th, 2018, 11:56 AM
I really didn’t think to much of hair as a child. I had thick curly hair but as a child my mom did my hair. So it always looked good, I guess.
I liked my hair as a preteen and teen. But as a teen I did wish my hair wasn’t as thick and was straight. I got lots of compliments though. People liked my long curly hair.
Now I love my hair shorter and with keratin treatments.

cailinbee
May 28th, 2018, 08:37 PM
I really was never bothered as a child, which I guess is good -- I really was hair carefree!

My mom influenced or decided my hair style until I was about thirteen, and I never really cared about length -- I was more insecure about the quality / texture -- I grew up in the era of barrel waves on every actress, thinking my straight thin hair was somehow bad, not even realizing that actresses go through hours of hair and makeup before shooting! And also having no idea of the difference between hair products and the fact that going cone-free was my best option.

AmaryllisRed
May 28th, 2018, 09:10 PM
I've always loved and admired long hair. On myself, I always loved it long, though I feel like shorter hair looks nice on me, too. Since I was about five, I've always grown and chopped repeatedly.
My favorite aunt as a kid and still today is my mom's twin sister, who I thought was BEAUTIFUL because she had hair down to her butt.
Even now, I find long haired people beautiful regardless of their other features. It's like tunnel vision. The hair is all I see!

Mozsei
June 17th, 2018, 03:47 AM
I mostly didn't care much about hair when I was younger. Before middle school I had it a bit past shoulders with bangs and it was very shiny and fine. But yea, once I got to middle school and it suddenly poofed out, I kept it just about shoulder length or a bit above, with layers to combat the thickness. Enough to be able to tie it back if I need to tame it. As I got into early high school I loved that messy look, still shoulder length or above, sort of how people could flip their hair part during the day and have it be sort of poof messed up (grungy?), and it sounds strange, but listening to My Chemical Romance, I was always envious of Gerard Way's hair, how it could look messy but also looked really shiny and healthy. At one point I thought it would be cool to put dreads in, but as much as I do like messy looks, I figured it'd be too extreme for me, and as they get older they get thicker and less desirable for me.
Fast forward to now, I do love long hair, I especially love long braids on other people, but my braids I think are pretty short compared to the length of my hair, since its pretty thick. I just want my hair to basically look like a wavy waterfall, a cascade of hair. I don't think I'll want to go past where it is now, I guess hip length, any more and I know it will just get even more damaged, since I hate wearing my hair up.

Milady_DeWinter
June 17th, 2018, 05:25 AM
I always loved long hair, also my mom had very long hair until I was 6 or so, and I can recall her silky BCL 1b medium brown hair, as thick as mine is now but in a "straight" version, with a straight cut. Sadly she cut it aback then and never wanted to grow long again :shrug: Now she rocks a pixie, but she enjoys my long hair.

The young babysitter me and my brother had also was a qualified long haired (BCL or so, sometimes tailbone), esp because lots of the things she told me about long hair I've found them -so many years later- here in the LHC: not to use too much shampoo, to avoid hairties, to put the airdryer in cold mode, to condition well, to be gentle while detangling...

Back then I never had very long hair, midback at most :shrug: My mom just didn't wanted to deal with another thick head of hair I think :lol:

Stray_mind
June 17th, 2018, 06:17 AM
I couldn't care less when i was a child, hahaha. I cared more about playing outside, making mud pies and keeping snails as pets.
I Do love long hair now. Love looking at it, but I still don't feel like touching other people's hair, unless they ask me to braid/brush it for them.

Cayy
June 19th, 2018, 08:31 PM
My mother always loved long hair (she’s a total hippie) so naturally I had long hair! I have chopped it a few times in life; although nothing shorter than a bob. I’ve found long hair to be less upkeep though! When my hair is shorter I have to blow dry it, and straighten or curl it almost everyday; longer hair I can manipulate into a fun updo or a no heat style that is down :p

deeisme
June 20th, 2018, 07:54 AM
I've always loved long hair but have had lots of different lengths over the years. I used to think long hair was only for the young but I'm kind of liking longer grey tresses.

maybeinaforest
June 23rd, 2018, 01:39 PM
I'm not sure really. I guess I didn't think about it much but I wonder if that had anything to do with my mother not wanting to deal with my hair. She decided it would be short for easy care. I started growing it as an adult. I have always loved fantasy long hair though.

sophia_
June 29th, 2018, 09:08 PM
I was never able to have long hair as a child, the longest I ever had it was slightly below shoulder. The shortest I had it cut was a "bowl cut" after I got some of it singed off in a campfire from leaning way too close (I was not a smart child, lol). My parents always believed in the "cut your hair every month" idea, and I used to cry when they put me in the chair at the hairdresser's! It didn't help that we only used shampoo and they taught me to rip through the tangles when I brushed. Without the internet I would never have known how to take care of it properly, lol.

illicitlizard
July 2nd, 2018, 09:26 AM
Eh I had short hair for ages (made it easier to care for, mum didn't fancy caring for hair > shoulder length) but I did get sick of it eventually and then I really wanted long hair. But it went through phases. Haha kind of like how I am now! So I went for 'wasn't bothered' for vague accuracy

hellomimi
July 4th, 2018, 09:19 AM
i wanted long hair so bad but nobody in my family wanted to put up with the hassle so they always kept my hair pretty short..

Dark40
July 10th, 2018, 08:31 PM
During my childhood I have always loved everything about having long hair, and wishing for much longer hair. Now, I hope to reach my goals in having extremely long hair very soon!

Serimel
July 11th, 2018, 02:13 AM
I don't think I had many thoughts of human hair when I was a child. Only things I remember, I loved my long haired mermaid barbie and my little ponies with different coloured hairs. Of my own hair length I didn't care, more like in a practical way. At some point I got tired of my bangs being on my face so I had my mom cut them super short instead of growing them long. She should have stopped me XD Oh my friends were teasing me so much but now looking back at those photos I looked weirdishly cute in some sort of alien way.

Margrit
January 21st, 2019, 03:31 PM
I loved long hair and everything to do with it

bokeh
January 21st, 2019, 04:55 PM
Mostly I didn't think about my hair. I do have good memories of my mother occasionally styling my hair and bringing home little plastic barrettes. Once I became aware of my hair it became a problem that plagued me for most of my life until I finally figured a few things out and got the upper hand.

Ophidian
January 21st, 2019, 04:58 PM
I loved it. I read a lot of Tolkien and so I think I was predisposed early on to admire long hair (on elves and dwarves alike) :p. It's always felt like my connection to something magical.

Natalia_A00
January 21st, 2019, 05:48 PM
As a child I didn't give a crap about my physical appearance lol. I liked long hair I guess but my mom decided what I would wear and how I was going to have my hair cut. Now I realized I really like long hair and that I look so much better with it.

Begemot
January 22nd, 2019, 03:59 AM
As a young child I was just indifferent about hair. My hair grew long and then I'd cut it to a bob and didn't think anything of it. My mother would style it how she wanted it and I went with it. I had a very rigid idea of how I wanted my hair as a teenager (dark and curly) but eventually realized how special long hair feels to me.

MusicalSpoons
January 22nd, 2019, 07:58 AM
I'm in between the first two options. I had long hair; somewhere around the ages of 6-8 I wanted to grow it long (from a bob) and my Mum let me. Having long hair was part of my identity but I only knew a few *very* basic styles, and I didn't know how to properly take care of it. I mean, I used conditioner and I brushed it, but never got beyond TBL because the ends always got so raggedy I would have annual 'trims' of 4-6". I was adamant I didn't want it shorter than ~hip once it got there, but other than that I wasn't overly bothered.

My best friend in middle school had long hair too, always in a plait, and I think it must have been 1a; I seem to recall it was longer than mine and it was always very shiny. An aunt had long hair, maybe waist length; she would dampen her hair and plait it in several small plaits to make it wavy every night and wear it in a half-up in the day (she still does, though she now wears it at ~APL). I remember staying overnight with her and doing the same :o then some years later I was very happy when I saw some clips that were like the one she wore and bought them, because they didn't pull out any hairs and looked nicer than an elastic.

MadelineMomo
March 2nd, 2019, 11:06 AM
My hair views have kinda circled back around to where they were when I was little—I last had long hair when I was 5 and 6.

My very earliest hair-related memory is when I was maybe 3, sitting in the bathroom with my mom, aunt, and cousins, while my aunt did my cousin’s hair. It age 3, I had a bob and bangs, and I made some comment about how I hated my bangs. My cousin pulled out some hair clips and offered them to me, saying I could use them to keep my bangs pulled back while I grew them out. I was stunned. Until then I’d thought hair was kind of like faces—everyone’s was different, and you were just both with one and couldn’t really change it.

After that I grew my hair and bangs out. And to this day, I don’t think I would ever have bangs again, in all my life.

Ylva
March 2nd, 2019, 12:24 PM
I was a longhair as a child, but my hair didn't mean anything to me. I never thought anything of it nor recognised it as anything special. Sure, people told me it was long and all, but I wasn't too keen on any such attention, I just wanted to play outside and climb trees and stuff like that, but I would get tangles in my activities no matter what, and I definitely did not enjoy having my mom "detangle" my hair, so I ended up wanting to cut it, and went the remainders of my childhood with a bob with straight bangs.

When it comes to general thoughts about hair as a kid, I could mention that the men in my family always had longer hair than the women (apart from myself), so even today, I don't associate long hair with femininity. In fact, I don't associate hair length with anything other than practicality or lack thereof (for me, short hair is more practical than long).

melindalucy
February 5th, 2021, 06:45 AM
I have always loved long hair. I never wanted one of those cute, trendy short hair styles, (https://hairstyle-en.com/gentlemans-cut-high-fade-ideas-for-short-long-haircut-2021-cool-hairstyles/)
I am fascinated to see older (what I perceived as grandmother age) people with long hair.

A few weeks ago I spotted a gentleman (maybe 60 or so) with waist length or longer hair. He was riding a bicycle down the street and I nearly broke my neck trying to get a good look at his hair. ;) That sighting made my day!

Long hair looks nice but very difficult to maintain :)

MusicalSpoons
February 5th, 2021, 07:02 AM
Long hair looks nice but very difficult to maintain :)

No it's not.

GordonMurphella
February 5th, 2021, 08:24 AM
No it's not.

Agreed. Interesting post history for that member ...

Feral_
February 5th, 2021, 08:33 AM
Agreed. Interesting post history for that member ...

My :spam: senses are tingling.

GordonMurphella
February 6th, 2021, 04:53 AM
My :spam: senses are tingling.

Apparently, we are super spideysensible, Feral!

Bri-Chan
February 6th, 2021, 07:19 AM
As as child I had shoulder to armpit length more or less. I didn't mind about length, actually it's just for few years now that I want very long hair. But I remember I had bangs and I hated them lol. When I was around the age of 10 (I guess) I started perceiving myself as someone with long hair (maybe I had APL+) and this perception never changed.
My sisters had longer hair as children. Mine was always short-ish because it was very difficult to detangle, more difficult my 1a hair than my curly sisters' hair. And also this never changed :rolleyes:

C_Bookworm
February 6th, 2021, 09:29 AM
I had hair to my knees when I was a kid. My mom did all the heavy lifting, so I liked my hair but didn’t particularly appreciate it. It just was. When I finally got a big cut, I didn’t mourn it at all. It was this exciting new thing I was allowed.

It makes things a bit funny to gauge now. In my memory, my hair never took more than 5 minutes to do. But some of the old photographs I see of some of complicated braids I had contradict that memory. And I definitely have no problem going out with wet hair now. For me, I just want my hair to feel squeaky clean, I don’t care if it’s dry. As a kid, I was used to bathing at night because there was no way I was allowed out with wet hair. My mom was definitely a believer in “If you go out with wet hair, you’ll catch a cold.”

Jane99
February 6th, 2021, 12:02 PM
I always admired long hair when I was a kid. I never really learned how to style hair much beyond a simple braid or a ponytail really until very recently. My hair was usually around APL as a kid, from what I remember. I guess up until discovering this site, I hadn’t really thought about growing my hair long. But, I have had very few haircuts in my life (1? 2?) that I have been happy with. So it makes sense to me to try to grow out the hair long and try to keep it in as good of condition as possible.

lapis_lazuli
February 6th, 2021, 12:22 PM
I had long hair as a kid, cut and layered it to APL at 11, then had an even greater appreciation for long hair as I had to grow it out (and never stopped)

jane_marie
February 6th, 2021, 01:07 PM
I kept long hair as a child but I didn't really care one way or the other. I always thought my mom was beautiful and she had short hair but I had aunts and older cousins that had long hair who also shaped my views of beauty. So, I didn't love long hair or hate it. Hair was hair.

I was more interested in having fun and wearing fluffy dresses. :shrug:

PurpleMoonstone
February 7th, 2021, 04:11 PM
I loved long hair as a kid and still do. Then again I grew up watching LOTR and other fantasy films so no surprise there, also learned how to braid at 5. Hated getting my hair cut, would moan even about a trim. Saying that it's never been as long as it is now, I really didn't take care of it back then - I just wanted it to grow but the ends were ratty :P

0xalis
February 7th, 2021, 08:39 PM
My longest hair ever was during my childhood. The longest it's been since then was a bit past APL which still isn't even truly long hair.

I grew from a bob at age 4 (because I got ahold of scissors and butchered my own hair lol...) until my 11th birthday when my hair was somewhere between waist length and hip length.
My mom encouraged me to grow my hair. She always loved long hair but hated her own hair so she keeps hers medium length. (I wish she'd realize it's just the heat damage and lack of careful brushing...)
My dad has also had long hair my entire life, to this day. He wears a wig now because he's balding so badly, but he still has a tiny grey ponytail underneath!
Mom got really excited when my hair was long enough to cover my chest, she said that it was mermaid hair! :inlove:

No idea the true length of my hair when I cut it. We never thought to take length photos. I have seen several photos from age 10 where my hair is at least to my elbows tho (which on my body is exactly where my waist is.)
Keep in mind I was a VERY tiny child so that would probably be closer to BSL, mayyybe MBL on adult me but it looked very long on my tiny frame and everyone loved my long hair.
It became part of my identity, which is why I call myself a "longhair at heart". Ever since that chop I have tried and failed many times to grow my hair back to what it once was.
I think I'm far more likely to succeed this time though for many reasons.

So yeah on my 11th birthday I decided, on a complete whim while my mom was getting a trim, to cut all my hair off and donate it.
(Nowadays I know that most donation companies for hair are more or less scams so that sucks, but hey maybe my hair did get to be a wig, that'd be cool.)

The rest of my "childhood" (ages 11-18, I still feel like a child sometimes honestly...) I mainly spent with very short hair.
Sometimes I loved the short hair, (especially after figuring out that I'm gay) other times I felt extreme regret and Cursed my 11 year old self for cutting their hair!
I grew to past APL right before I graduated high school, but due to a very persistent case of lice I ended up shaving it all off :(

Today my perception has changed, mostly in that I don't see waist length as "very long" hair anymore. It's long yeah, but a more normal long length.
Everyone around here seems to cut off 6'' or more when their hair gets long enough to sit on, so I definitely want at least classic length hair, I need my hair to be impressively long! :p
Even if I grow that long and then decide I don't want to keep it that long, I need to try it at least once, for science! ;)

And as I mentioned before, I feel that I have the best chances of actually reaching my goals now compared to when I was a tween/teen.
I would always see cute short hair and/or cute dyed hair and stray off the path, but I'm not as easily swayed by trends now.

beha
February 8th, 2021, 01:40 AM
I was known for having long hair as a kid-preteen. I didn't do much to it or care; I just didn't go to the salon so it grew. Girls at school liked it and complimented it. My parents and some family members called me Cousin Itt. My family really were *******s about it. One time my mom snuck up behind me while I was watching TV and trimmed it to shoulder length. To this day she defends her behavior, saying it was long and unkempt and that I "liked it afterward", as if that justifies it.

BuddhaBelle
February 8th, 2021, 12:54 PM
I loved it but because I had always had long hair I wanted to and did go short; now I’m back to wanting long hair. Hopefully because I have had short hair and I know what it’s like I wont be tempted to go back

Dung Beetle
February 12th, 2021, 02:52 PM
When I was a kid, my hair was blonde and so long I could sit on it. I can't recall ever giving it any thought except that I hated having Mom brush it because of the tangles. Also, she would part it on the side and hold the heavy side back with a barrette, exposing my giant forehead. I thought that style was so ugly.

When I was around ten, I lived in a neighborhood where there were no girls to play with, and my brother would always take off with the neighborhood boys. I thought they would like me more if I was a tomboy, so I asked to have my hair cut really short. Did I mention I had big goofy glasses? The boys still didn't like me, and I looked just like John Denver. :cry:

xel
February 25th, 2021, 11:23 AM
I was always fond of the ridiculously long hair found in wuxia shows or period dramas! My mum's a fervent supporter of short hair, and so I had short hair as a child. Grew it out the first chance I got, though.

FaeBroom
February 27th, 2021, 01:58 PM
I voted that I wasn't bothered, my hair was shoulder to APL throughout my childhood. I was a bit of a tomboy with a tender scalp, so my looks weren't on my mind too much until my teen years. And then I was an emo kid, and wanted layers upon layers and every color hair dye I could get my hands on... if my mom let me.

Laurel Rose
February 27th, 2021, 07:45 PM
Hair was just hair. My mom complained about my shed hairs if it was "long" so I usually kept it around shoulder to keep her happy. Also I had PTSD/depression and didn't take care of my hair so even if I was allowed/wanted long hair it would've been a nightmare.

Hellebore
March 2nd, 2021, 11:49 AM
I had long, beautiful hair as a child...that I promptly cut into a bizarre, punk-rocker look because I got wild with scissors when I was seven or eight. I think my mom wanted to murder me.

I wasn't really fascinated by long hair as a child, but I can tell you that for some reason, as a kid I thought waist-length hair was wayyyyyy longer than it actually is. I knew what a waist was, but if someone described a person with waist-length hair, my mind immediately thought of TBL.

Now that I'm at WL I am painfully aware of how much shorter it really is.

emilyogini
March 31st, 2021, 06:20 PM
Always loved long hair. My favorite aunt had long hair, and I grew up as her spitting image. Long hair was in all my mermaid and fairy books. Also, Mom really raised me on Cher and her music so...

Jools69
April 23rd, 2021, 01:23 AM
It wasn’t until I started primary school that I became aware of long hair. Throughout my childhood, I used to be in awe of my fellow class mates with long hair and wanted long hair that I could put into different styles, but my parents insisted that I had short hair. :rolleyes: My mother always wore her hair short, so I suppose she wanted me to follow suit and didn’t want the extra hassle of grooming it until I did. Although I was an only child until I was 5 and didn’t have another sibling until I was 11. My father always complained about my shedded hairs throughout the house and probably thought having it short would cure that. It didn’t and I still got hassle for it.:D

My view hasn’t changed that much now. As a young adult, I kept my hair around shoulder length to fit in with the current trends, but still marvelled at anyone with long hair. Now in middle age, I’m determined to have long hair, as I feel it’s my ‘last chance’ to have it.

GoatLady
December 26th, 2022, 08:28 AM
I don't remember paying much attention to hair length as a child.