PDA

View Full Version : Split ends not visible 'till the next day

Vlientje
August 10th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Okay, this is not about me, but on another forum someone asked a question, I replied but I am not a 100% I gave the correct answer, so I came here to ask you experts! :D

She says that when she washes her hair (at night), she cannot see split ends, then she goes to bed, and the next morning, no split ends to be seen! On the second day, she can see a few come "back" and then on the third day they are all "back". She (& me too!) wonders how this is possible!

My answer was:
According to an article I read, I think this might be the reason:

Since you have some split ends, your hair might be a bit damaged. Your cuticles are open. There is fluid in your hair, and your cuticles are meant to keep that fluid in there, but since those are open now, it's able to escape. So I guess that takes a few days, so after the fluid is all gone, your hair looks dry again and so you are able to see the split ends.

ZeppHead
August 10th, 2011, 11:40 AM
I see this with my hair. After a shower, mostly just on CO days, I will look for splits and wont find any, my hair will be soft and virtually split end free. When it comes time for me to wash my hair, I can find several, though my hair isn't very damaged to begin with but I will find a few. Ive always assumed this was because the conditioner would seal the split ends kind of like some leave in products will do. As time or days go on and the hair is drier, they "come apart" so it wasn't as they weren't necessarily there before when you looked, but you just couldn't see them. So, I agree with your answer.

Carolyn
August 10th, 2011, 12:48 PM
If you use coney products, that can mask split ends. Could that be it?