PDA

View Full Version : Double Dutch to single

WaitingSoLong
August 10th, 2011, 09:39 AM
So here is my first attempt since high school to put my hair in dutch braids. I have been wanting to connect either double dutch or double french braids into a single braid without securing it first with an elastic. Again, my first attempt. It is difficult to do without the side braids becoming loose, so there is definitely room for improvement but I will still wear it all day because GEEZ it took too long to re-do. LOL

http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp17/Poetry4me75/DSC00681_640x480.jpg

http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp17/Poetry4me75/DSC00680_640x480.jpg

http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp17/Poetry4me75/DSC00679_640x480.jpg

http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp17/Poetry4me75/DSC00682a.jpg

pepperminttea
August 10th, 2011, 09:47 AM
What a beautiful combination braid! I've only ever managed this once (with French braids) on very oily hair, I find it much harder on freshly washed 'poofy' hair; too many strands trying to cross themselves. :p You did a wonderful job!

Mrspuddinhead
WOW!! Honestly I think you did a wonderful job. Also the color of your hair is beautiful.

I'm in the process of trying to do a fishtail braid without securing it first with a rubber band. It's much more difficult then I thought. I hope the finished product will be as beautiful as yours. :)

archel
That looks fantastic! I love how braids look on blondes, you can really see the detail.

neko_kawaii
August 10th, 2011, 09:49 AM
Beautiful! Another skill I wish to master. Thanks for the inspiration!

ericthegreat
August 10th, 2011, 09:58 AM
You did a fantastic job! I am more impressed with how you were able to keep the two Dutch braids neat and tight without tying them at the point where they join. What did you use to secure the braids, a hairclip or some bobby pins?

And I love the cute butterfly clip you placed right in the middle! :p

WaitingSoLong
August 10th, 2011, 10:11 AM
Eric, I didn't secure anything, the only thing in my hair is an elastic at the bottom of the single braid (and the butterfly, which is not holding anything). I had braided the separate dutch braids all the way down at first (two piggies) and then I loosened them at the nape and divided them into 3 strands for the single braid (combined one strand from each, then the others separately, so there were two strands in each of the 3 strands that made the final braid). Once I had the 3 single braid strands how I wanted them, I held them with one hand and undid the two piggies. It was still not as tight as I would like but it has stayed!

Thanks everyone! I, too, think detail shows up much better in blonde hair, and since I have dark roots it really makes a contrast.

Skooter
August 10th, 2011, 10:11 AM
Looks amazing! I really want to make two Dutch braids in my own hair but I can't imagine them looking good without me having five mirrors around me while braiding XD. Was it hard to make neat side braids?

ericthegreat
August 10th, 2011, 10:18 AM
Eric, I didn't secure anything, the only thing in my hair is an elastic at the bottom of the single braid (and the butterfly, which is not holding anything). I had braided the separate dutch braids all the way down at first (two piggies) and then I loosened them at the nape and divided them into 3 strands for the single braid (combined one strand from each, then the others separately, so there were two strands in each of the 3 strands that made the final braid). Once I had the 3 single braid strands how I wanted them, I held them with one hand and undid the two piggies. It was still not as tight as I would like but it has stayed!

Then that is even more impressive! My own hair is much more slippery (that's both the gift and curse of having silky smooth Asian hair) so I NEED TO hold my sections tightly and immediately tie them off with an elastic when I'm doing a braid or the braid will automatically undo itself when I let go.

spidermom
August 10th, 2011, 10:18 AM
I like that!

Sometimes I do something similar - a 2-strand rope braid down each side (adding hair as I go like I'm doing a french braid). Then I pull the strands together in the back and do a 4-strand braid. Sometimes it looks really good, other times wonky.

Chetanlaiho
August 10th, 2011, 10:19 AM
Gorgous! ^_^

WaitingSoLong
August 10th, 2011, 10:31 AM
Spidermom, I always wanted to do a french-braid version of a rope braid. Haven't tried it yet.

Skooter: it is actually very messy you just cannot tell when it is all done. lol It is not like I tried real hard to keep the sections even or anything. I use braid-borrowing to even out the strands if I get to the bottom and have one fat strand or something. I am always amazed when I get to the end that it doesn't look like mashed potatoes.

Eric: I would LOVE to braid your hair...too bad you live too far away.

ericthegreat
August 10th, 2011, 10:38 AM
WaitingsoLong, anytime you decide to visit NYC, we can set up a meet and you can experiment with whatever style you want to try out on my head. :)

bunzfan
August 10th, 2011, 10:43 AM
That looks so pretty, i had my hair like this yesterday and got compliments on it.

ladycaladium
August 10th, 2011, 10:45 AM
Wow, that came out really nice.

CaityBear
August 10th, 2011, 10:49 AM
Ooh! I like it. It looks very nice. :)

WaitingSoLong
August 10th, 2011, 11:56 AM
Eric, I have never been to NYC unless you count the airport on my way to Puerto Rico one year a long time ago. I think it is on my list of places to NEVER go. I am afraid of big cities and NYC is the city of cities. I recently went to Chicago and felt I deserved a medal for surviving. LOL. My dd doesn't have the patience to let me play with her hair. I have always admired your hair and have secretly always wanted to run my hands through Asian hair. Luxepiggy comes to mind as well. I think she is west coast!

If I ever go to NYC it will have to be planned around an LHC meet and YOU had better be there. ;) It is so far away...

AnqeIicDemise
August 10th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Goooorgeous!

I haven't done this in ages. Granted, I never did it with full braids, I only did it half up half downs. I was a huge Xena fan and could never get Gabriel's hair quite right so this is what I'd do instead. :D

Madora
August 10th, 2011, 12:41 PM
@WaitingSoLong...Your braids look terrific! That's a beautiful way to wear your hair!

MissManda
August 10th, 2011, 12:45 PM
I love that style! The little decoration is very cute, too!

ingvild
August 10th, 2011, 01:56 PM
It is gorgeous! :thudpile:

Slinks
August 10th, 2011, 02:41 PM
GOOD JOB, very clever !!! :-) it looks awesome ..