PDA

View Full Version : You all have influenced me in a big way

mrs_coffee
August 10th, 2011, 08:24 AM
Yesterday my hair, which you can tell by my avatar is at a super-awkward length, was driving me CRAZY. The feel of it hanging on my neck was annoying me and my growing out bangs kept escaping their mini braid and tickling my face.

Before LHC I would have grabbed the scissors and chopped it off pixie style, but instead I secured the bangs with a Flexi-8 mini and pulled the rest up into a pony tail. Today it is behaving itself and I'm so glad I didn't chop it. :inlove:

bunzfan
August 10th, 2011, 08:50 AM
Well done you, it's so tempting isn't it if you can get past that awkward stage until you can start wearing it up your find it so much easier well i did:)

monsterna
August 10th, 2011, 08:55 AM
I'm still at an awkward stage, even at APL+. MY bangs are strange and long in some places and short in others. I have to pin things back as best I can, too. Hang in there! It's so worth it.

Buggheart
August 10th, 2011, 08:55 AM
Way to go with the self control! I can totally relate.

racrane
August 10th, 2011, 09:01 AM
I can relate to. Right now, I'm living on buns and braids with my bangs pinned back. It'll be worth it, though!

pepperminttea
August 10th, 2011, 09:10 AM
Good for you! :) Keep going; the longer you ignore it, the longer it'll get!

Lady Malys
August 10th, 2011, 09:28 AM
mrs coffee, I understand entirely. I am at about the same length and my biggest challenge is the variety of lengths that like to each do their own thing at the moment. I am a teacher so have been off all summer and have been able to just clip it up and out of my way, but school starts back in 2 weeks and I am going to have to do more with it then. I hope I can be as strong as you and not give in to the desire to chop it off!

mrs_coffee
August 10th, 2011, 09:45 AM
It was a tense few moments, but then I thought about how long it has taken me to get this far and how mad I would be at myself if I cut it and lost all of my progress. It's all because of the encouragement and determination (and gorgeous hair) I see here every day.

I'll be so glad once it is long enough to just sweep into an updo and get it out of the way without having to rely on a zillion bobby pins.

ericthegreat
August 10th, 2011, 10:06 AM
I'm so happy for you. Getting past the awkward stages is a long lesson in patience, and also an acceptance that for a period of time of several months or even up to 2 years, your hair may not look as great as you would like it to be. These days, many other women would simply head to the salon and happily cut it all off into an easy no-fuss pixie or layered bob.

Keep up with the growing process! You will get to your goal length sooner than you think.

fluffybunny
August 10th, 2011, 10:11 AM
I bought a load of brightly colored mini claw clips and did "creative" styles with them at that stage. It may have looked a bit odd but it got me through.

georgia_peach
August 10th, 2011, 01:25 PM
Way to go!! :cheese: You've encouraged me!

Medusa
August 10th, 2011, 02:04 PM
I feel your pain! From your pic, it looks like your hair is about the same length as mine - too short to really be able to do much with, but too long to ignore. I work from home most days so I'm lucky as far as being able to have messy hair and get away with it. It'll be worth it in the long run!

AnnaJamila
August 10th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Ha, I don't want to chop; I just would trim the ends every week because I love doing it! Haha, I'm scissor crazy! At least DH has a crew cut, I'll just have to be content with maintaining that!

PixxieStix
August 10th, 2011, 03:44 PM
I hear you, and good for you for not giving in to temptation! I too have several awkward lengths and often feel frustrated with the lack of hair styling ability. I literally have hair still growing back in on the top of my head as short as half an inch, and chin length hair in the front, and a few inches shorter in the back from a layered bob I had for a while. Some days I'm tempted to just shave it off again, but then I'd be back to square one. When it gets particularly alluring to chop, I just come browse this site and remind myself of all the long, pretty hair I will have in a couple years. ^.^

Kristin
August 10th, 2011, 04:00 PM
I'm at hip and I still get the random urge to chop. Learning hair-friendly updos has saved my hair more than once. Glad you pulled through, lol. :)

BlazingHeart
August 10th, 2011, 04:09 PM
The length in your avatar was an awkward one for me, too. The longest of my hair flipped out where it hit the top of my shoulder, the shorter stuff was trying to flip in, and the shortest of the front was always in my mouth.

The best style for that length that I found was twists - You grab the hair in front of your ear, twist it once or twice, and then add small sections going back along your hairline, give it 1 twist each new section added. If you do a good job of it, you can secure both sides together with a clip or a ponytail holder at the back and everything will stay put.

It does take practice, though, so don't get frustrated if it doesn't work the first few times.

~Blaze

Diesel Tech
August 10th, 2011, 05:08 PM
I hear you. I get a few bangs that escape at work on a daily bases. I keep tucking them behind my ears and get black lines across my face from whatever happens to be on my hands at the time. It gets better. Hang in there.

CurlAhead
August 10th, 2011, 07:18 PM
Good job on dealing with the temptation! :D

Chiara
August 11th, 2011, 05:36 PM
Yes, I agree with PP, that is an awkward length! Because of the flip factor (when it hits your shoulder), my memory is that it just seemed to be stuck there for A G E S...and then one day I thought...oh, it looks long. And both my DH and a work colleague commented on it too (I think it was after I cassia'd for the first time, which made my hair lie straighter). So it will creep up on you, don't worry.

vanillabones
August 11th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Ugh I know how you feel. My hair looks ugly every day. It's uneven and discolored and disgusting and huge chunky layers from splits and breakage. I don't have temptation to cut it off because I want long hair for once, but idk what to do either. So it really messes with my head and makes me depressed. Good job on getting it out of your way and not going back to pixie. I bet your flexi looked really good :D